PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

campetre
June 5th, 2008, 22:43
What's going on guys?

I'm in the market for a RS6, but really dont wan't to dish out $30,000+ for a 5 yr old car. What would you all say about this AUdi RS6 on the following linkhttp://www.718compass.com/inventory/03RS6GreyBlk_N904421.htm . Take note and check the free "Auto check".

Please let me know guys, if its worth it.

V/r
Tito:addict: :vgrumpy:

tombs
June 5th, 2008, 23:46
I'd be suspicious...the steering wheel is on the wrong side for a start.:hahahehe:

campetre
June 5th, 2008, 23:59
This guy above, he's a funny dude, well here Brooklyn, N.Y. That's where the steering wheel's at, ya dig! But any who on a real note, is it worth....how strong are the engine and/or turbos, tranny, etc.

tombs
June 6th, 2008, 00:07
On serious note I'd say check the suspension (DRC issues are well documented on RS246.com and here), tranny (gearbox?) could be an issue, if you can get to the car for a test drive, gear changes should be smooth with no hesitation in choosing gear etc. Engines on these cars are bomb proof I dont know any (and Ive been around this scene a while now) that have blown even with higher mileage then that. Not sure of the prices across the pond but if its in check with other prices, go and see it and if you like it buy it!

DuckWingDuck
June 6th, 2008, 00:07
I dunno, 100k is a lot of miles! For $42K, I think you can get a lower mileage one than that.

campetre
June 6th, 2008, 00:12
No, thats 29,000 in dollars! lol.

campetre
June 6th, 2008, 00:13
Thats 29000 american dollars sir, lol.

campetre
June 6th, 2008, 00:17
These vehicles are hard to come by, and no one budges on the prices. Like I found one and it had dents and scrapes and this guy was asking 31,000 american dollars.

But on a lighter note, I spoke to the dealership and they backed the car up, smooth shifting, the owner even is willing to give me an unlimited warranty on the drivetrain, turbo's, etc.

What you guys think? Does the car look worth? I am going to go test drive it tomorrow.

DRC? Wtf? What exactly about them, lol?

ben916
June 6th, 2008, 00:41
That specific car has been on Ebay for months, at least 6 months or more. The stupid thing about it is that the person, company, whatever, they keep driving it and putting miles on it.

Personally, I would stay away from that specific car. 96K miles on the clock?!?! So what if you save $11,000 dollars on a RS6? What kind of other problems are there lurking under the hood, trans, diffs, turbos, intercoolers, DRC? If the trans goes out, there goes your $11,000 in savings....

These warranty companies indicate specific coverage from the dealer. I emailed one of these warranty companies and asked exactly if the DRC was covered. The dealer told me yes, the warranty company said no.

You would be better served to purchase the lowest mileage RS6 you can find. There is one at Riverside Audi in NJ with 3000 miles on the clock, you are gonna pay for it but it is almost brand new. Then get the extended AUDI warranty, if still avail, and/or the CPO warranty.

That is my two american cents (not worth crap compared to the Euro)...

I am sure there are others on the board that can comment better with more experience.

Good Luck...

campetre
June 6th, 2008, 00:48
You right. I'm gonna go test drive it 'cause I'll be in NY anyways.....but really in true essence, I'm really not saving anything, because the value for that car at that mileage....is +6000 up from the dudes offer. It's crazy that this car at 100k is worth $35000 on a fair rating scale.

ben916
June 6th, 2008, 00:58
$35k for that? Sounds like they are "adding" a warranty unknown to you and making some $,$$$ on it. Sorry to say but it might be a great parts car or someone with an ambitious plan of making a saloon clubsport for the states....

I would take the test drive and then pass on it....
It will give you an excellent indication of possibly what NOT to purchase.

The driver's seat has to be well worn, along with other bits...

Do the DRC test (from 'moocher or audiphile or hyoctane, sorry can't remember exactly) of getting up to 80 and then do an avoidance manuever. It should be stable, if not, drive back slowly...

I remember someone else stating that the brakes will squeak, but I can't recall the way to extract that symptom.

Boosted-Bora might be able to assist on the East Coast with what to look for and what to avoid...

BLITZEN
June 6th, 2008, 18:25
I agree with Ben916, that you would probably regret saving a little money now. After all, you're still spending $30,000! That's not chump-change. Wouldn't you want to make sure that you're totally happy with the purchase?

Consider this, with tires at $1200/set, brakes $1000+/set, timing chain $3000+/change, etc. what will saving a few thousand up front accomplish? Plus, how hard will it be to sell that car once you've put 50,000 or more miles on it?

To play devil's advocate, if $30,000 is all you have, I suggest you give up on an RS6 and consider other options like an S6, S4, A6 or BMW.

Good Luck!

ben916
June 6th, 2008, 19:36
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-RS6-RS6-Bi-Turbo-2003-Audi-RS6-Twin-Turbo-Unlimited-Mileage-Warranty-WoW_W0QQitemZ290235004136QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 90235004136&

Something to note here, the driver's side seat is not shown in any of the photos but thank goodness there are three or more photos of the back seats!

For a minute there, I didn't think that the rear seats were included for that price....

Oh and one more thing, the ash tray is clean/empty..... kind of....

mmaturo
June 6th, 2008, 23:32
You could have mine for $36K with 62,800 miles on it still CPO'd and transferrable to next owner. Mines in way better shape and everything (DRC, front suspension, new brakes/rotors) has been replaced. And much cooler wheels. Trading it in a month or two from now.

MikeL01
June 7th, 2008, 14:12
Having lived in Brooklyn for a couple of years, I can tell you that the roads there were in horrible condition. With that many NYC miles on the car, you may want to pass.