PDA

View Full Version : Dinan BMW 335i vs BMW M3

trev0006
June 1st, 2008, 20:09
Dinan BMW 335i vs BMW M3 (http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-08/06-01-08page-Dinan-BMW-335i-vs-BMW-M3.htm)

Leadfoot
June 1st, 2008, 20:19
Doesn't really tell you much. Everyone knows that you can spend dosh of tuning a car up to get close to it's piers but they never quite make that final step and it's the same near.

KresoF1
June 1st, 2008, 20:26
Doesn't really tell you much. Everyone knows that you can spend dosh of tuning a car up to get close to it's piers but they never quite make that final step and it's the same near.

Agree.

BTW, what version of M3 is faster on the Ring: manual or M-DKG?

Manual! Belive it or not! Why? How about this 07ME(280km/h) option is currently available for manual only! There are some problems with software so future of 07ME for M-DKG cars is not very clear...

Leadfoot
June 1st, 2008, 20:30
Agree.

BTW, what version of M3 is faster on the Ring: manual or M-DKG?

Manual! Belive it or not! Why? How about this 07ME(280km/h) option is currently available for manual only! There are some problems with software so future of 07ME for M-DKG cars is not very clear...

Seriously, the manual car is quicker on the ring. Now that is a shock, I would have thought that the gearbox alone would have improved it's time by 4 or 5 seconds over such a long course.

P.S.

Just out of interest what was it's time?

KresoF1
June 1st, 2008, 20:42
8.05min as you already know. Good old Horst von Saurma from Sport Auto. Since currently there is NO option for 280km/h for M-DKG cars they are about 5s slower... Of course, after BMW M finds a solution for limiter M-DKG cars will be marginally faster on the Ring.

Personally, I would NOT buy an M3 with M-DKG without 07ME option.

Imagine those M-DKG fans from m3post on German autobahn in their M-DKG cars at 250km/h... Leadie is overtaking them all in his 280km/h factory capable manual! Funny, isn't it?

Leadfoot
June 1st, 2008, 22:39
8.05min as you already know. Good old Horst von Saurma from Sport Auto. Since currently there is NO option for 280km/h for M-DKG cars they are about 5s slower... Of course, after BMW M finds a solution for limiter M-DKG cars will be marginally faster on the Ring.

Personally, I would NOT buy an M3 with M-DKG without 07ME option.

So you are basically saying that the M-DKG car is roughly equal with the stock RS4 with it's limiter intact. :hihi:

£2700 buys you a slower car on both the track and on the road. :lovl:

One question, why is this the case? The gearbox is meant to have been design for a rev limit in excess of 9000rpm and 550Nm, so how can there be a problem when it comes to reaching 280Km/h as this figure in 7th gear would be well within the 8400rpm rev limit. Is there some other issue stopping it?

Imagine those M-DKG fans from m3post on German autobahn in their M-DKG cars at 250km/h... Leadie is overtaking them all in his 280km/h factory capable manual! Funny, isn't it?

In case you didn't know I am not getting an M3. Things are not the right time to throw £50K in a sports car, well not by me anyway. I think I will hold off until the TT/RS in released or maybe settle for the S4 with S/Tronic and a few other goodies.

Carl Lassiter
June 2nd, 2008, 07:10
Leadie, hold out for the RS5. That should be a corking car.

Haven't had change to try DKG yet but I'm sure it will be excellent. M-division know their stuff.

As for the 335i, I don't like it. Sure if you don't care about warranty Vishnu can get you to c.400rwhp but the fact is that the brakes and suspension still won't be up to snuff and it'll be worth squat when it comes time to sell. That's my take anyways.

By the way, I much prefer your new signature quote.