PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives considered

andyp
July 14th, 2003, 17:03
When choosing your RS6, what other cars did you consider? What were the deciding reasons for choosing the RS6 (No, I don't work for J.D. Power!)

I considered the following:

1. BMW M5 (but that would have been getting the same car again)
2. Porsche 911 Turbo - great car but I wanted the wolf in sheep's clothing thing

I didn't consider the E55 for more than 10 secs ... I'm still affected by the somewhat staid reputation of Mercedes. I like Jaguars but they have not got the right balance between luxury and performance for me.

Andy

Bauer
July 15th, 2003, 00:35
Andyp

Before I start please note that I am a huge Audi fan and obviously there is some bias. I do however appreciate many other makes and models, knowing very well that there is a wide choice of great cars on the market.

I did consider a 2001 or newer Porsche Twin Turbo but realized that even though it is a great car I could not rationalize it. Not that 85k on any car is rational but at least the RS6 has room for four, matanience and warranty for 4yr 50k and a 01 Turbo does not and new one @ $120K only has a waranty for 2yr 24k. I do like BMW's(never owned one though) but I go to the mountains and the AWD is a must. Plus I do not like where BMW is going with is stying and the E55 even though it is fast as hell appears to be ruled to heavily by electronics.

That is another reason I like the RS6, as these sedans get more and more powerful it will become very difficult for rear wheel drive cars to put the power down without the help of traction control and all of the other electronics. As many of the reviews I have read about the E55 stated that the car was difficult to drive hard or at the limits due to the electronics trying to keep the car on the road. I don't know what the new M5 will have to do to keep between 500 to 550 Hp on the groud and under control but I do imangine that it will have an effect on the car to some degree.

The RS6 to me is the best blend of all I want in a car. Fast as hell, cofortable for four, AWD and a real sheep in wolfs clothing. Not to mention the ease of tunning to over 500hp if you desire. I hope this helps.

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 ordered

bilbozilla
July 15th, 2003, 01:36
I considered the 911 Turbo, the Maserati Coupé, and the Lotus Turbo Esprit. The fact that my wife is having twins in December, and my garage will only hold 2 vehicles, I opted for the Audi. I have been a long-time Audi owner, and I love them, but I also love all sports cars. We'll be building a house next year, so as my family grows, so will my garage!

nene
July 15th, 2003, 02:16
I need an automatic car at all costs. Thus the choices were E55 or RS6 (saloon). Other then that, I'd have to go with a GT3 or a GT.
The last two would mean that I'd have to drop the current cars I have, and I don't wish to let go of them.

I've always loved the M5 though, and I have nothing bad to say about any G-Man cars.
I just happen to love Audi's since I was a little boy.

jimmy94507
July 15th, 2003, 02:52
Bilbozilla, where in the Bay area are you located? I'm in Alamo, Ben Bauer is in Lafayette. Maybe we could have an outing this fall and compare tales about our cars and experiences. The NorCal Audi driving event at Sears Point will be a good opportunity to enjoy the cars. Anyone interested in starting a West Coast RS 6 registery??

Regards, Jim

bilbozilla
July 15th, 2003, 03:19
I'm in San Rafael. I'd be interested in a SF Bay Area RS6 chapter. You can e-mail me at jlmoore@cyrusoilandgas.com . I'll take delivery of my RS6 sometime in December.

Benman
July 15th, 2003, 15:42
andy,

for me iv'e always thought that the M5 was an awesome car. but the sad thing is my wife never learned to drive a manual (and i didn't want to think what would happen with her learning on a car like that!!!) i can't afford a high end sports car AND a luxury sedan at the same time so for me it was the RS 6. the E55 is an obvious choice as well but we already have a Mercedes product (although it is just the puny E320) so we went with the Audi. i definatey prefer the AWD feel of the Audi's over the Mercedes feel.:cheers:

jimmy and bilbozilla,

although i'm in so cal, i'd like to meet up with you guys at Sears Point if i can make it up that way.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Bauer
July 16th, 2003, 16:39
Jimmy, Ben,bilbozilla,

When is the next event at Sears point and do you know if there is one at Laguna Seca as well?

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 ordered:incar:

Benman
July 16th, 2003, 18:25
Bauer,

it is in November but i don't recall the dates.

Laguna Seca should be around February:cheers:

Ben:addict:

rsjoe
July 16th, 2003, 20:57
I'm driving an RS6 now and have driven the E55. That staid E55 will leave you looking into its exhausts real quick!! It's got a much better interior, more features, more insulated. It is the ultimate in "wolf in sheep's clothing". What the E55 lacks is the "fun" factor. Its exhaust note is pathetic and its acceleration is so linear that you get much less g force sensation vs the RS6. The RS6 is the first true "sports sedan" in this size category. I've owned the M5 and the RS6 IMO is a much better car. However if most of my driving was over an hour in length and included a lot of traffic, the E55 would be my clear choice. They're both great cars, it's a matter of personal preference.