PDA

View Full Version : Video: R8 v GT-R v 911 v STI v Evo v Elise.

The Pretender
May 31st, 2008, 08:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qreQwTeaVWY&eurl=http://www.autoblog.nl/archive/2008/05/31/video-r8-911-elise-wrx-evo-x-en-gt-r-vergelijking

Jarod.

Z07
May 31st, 2008, 10:12
I'm impressed with the R8's road course time but it did look a little hairy.

Leadfoot
May 31st, 2008, 18:41
I'm impressed with the R8's road course time but it did look a little hairy.

Looking hairy as a spectator and being hairy from behind the wheel are two totally different things, the fact that the R8 was so quick with such a deficiency of both power and torque compared to the GTR proves that from the driver's point of view it most definitely wasn't hairy in one bit.

Now what do you reckon a R8 will be like with more than another 100hp and 100ft/lbs. My guess is that the GTR will be bridesmaid and not the bride. :hahahehe:

Anyway, the GTR isn't really pretty enough to be a bride. :D

HKS786
May 31st, 2008, 20:44
Looking hairy as a spectator and being hairy from behind the wheel are two totally different things, the fact that the R8 was so quick with such a deficiency of both power and torque compared to the GTR proves that from the driver's point of view it most definitely wasn't hairy in one bit.

Now what do you reckon a R8 will be like with more than another 100hp and 100ft/lbs. My guess is that the GTR will be bridesmaid and not the bride. :hahahehe:

I have to agree here. Clearly the R8 isnt as fast in a straight line, so it must be making up speed in the corners otherwise it cant be so close behind the GTR on the track.

I know that the V10 will be so much better in straight line and corners will be beautiful too. It will be equal to the GTR at least if not better, and it looks 100% better too ;)

Z07
May 31st, 2008, 21:05

I agree completely. The V10 version could be a world beater. I'll take one of each.

RXBG
June 1st, 2008, 01:47
or put it another way, if the GTR had a proper manual it would have been second. the single biggest reason why the GTR is so fast is the transmission.

from another angle, the R8 with 100 less torque and 50 fewer hp nearly matches the GTR.

though i do not think the V10 will have 100 more in torque (more like 398 or so- about 70 more than the V8) it will make more hp than the GTR. and be faster than it on certain roadcourses. the reason why it will not be all out faster all the time than the GTR is- you guessed it- transmission.

kind of classic that an ancient viscous diff and low center mass design can provide about as much traction as a video-game-cum-design like the GTRs..... i can't even imagine what a car like the V10 R8's design would be capable of if it had a vector quattro type awd system..... maybe that will be what we will see in the enzo replacement (but with turbos).... ring time in the 7 flat range...

i think nissan will eventually make a manual GTR and then the numbers will change....

KresoF1
June 1st, 2008, 08:36
or put it another way, if the GTR had a proper manual it would have been second. the single biggest reason why the GTR is so fast is the transmission.

from another angle, the R8 with 100 less torque and 50 fewer hp nearly matches the GTR.

though i do not think the V10 will have 100 more in torque (more like 398 or so- about 70 more than the V8) it will make more hp than the GTR. and be faster than it on certain roadcourses. the reason why it will not be all out faster all the time than the GTR is- you guessed it- transmission.

kind of classic that an ancient viscous diff and low center mass design can provide about as much traction as a video-game-cum-design like the GTRs..... i can't even imagine what a car like the V10 R8's design would be capable of if it had a vector quattro type awd system..... maybe that will be what we will see in the enzo replacement (but with turbos).... ring time in the 7 flat range...

i think nissan will eventually make a manual GTR and then the numbers will change....

R8 V10 WILL HAVE 386kw/525ps, that's about 520hp. It is a done deal as zerocool claimed here a while ago... Car is already in latest ELSA programm(those who knows Audi in-depth will know what I am talking about).

Just one NOT so good thing-according to reliable source(person who is instructor for R8 driving experience in Germany) R8 V10 is not as fluid to drive as normal R8. It is heavy and more weight is at the rear(balance is not 44/56 like on V8 but, something like 42/58) and there is hint more of understeer on V10. No doubt about it V10 is faster on the track. Just for average driver V8 is more confidence building driving machine. V10 requires more driving knowledge according to his experince(who has more then 1000km on V10)...

Leadfoot
June 1st, 2008, 12:21
Just one NOT so good thing-according to reliable source(person who is instructor for R8 driving experience in Germany) R8 V10 is not as fluid to drive as normal R8. It is heavy and more weight is at the rear(balance is not 44/56 like on V8 but, something like 42/58) and there is hint more of understeer on V10. No doubt about it V10 is faster on the track. Just for average driver V8 is more confidence building driving machine. V10 requires more driving knowledge according to his experince(who has more then 1000km on V10)...

What changing the weight balance will do is one of two things, first like KersoF1 said the nose will gain a little understeer which while less than perfect for the ideal lap time does provide a better balance for those less professional drivers to know when the limits are being approached. Secondly that slight increase in weight over the rear axle will provide a little more traction coming out of the corners, allowing the driver to get on the power a fraction earlier and being able to use all of that mighty power to the full.

I would say that respect is a better word than driving knowledge, as placing an extra 100hp and almost a much torque under your right foot will demand respect from potential owners. I guess we might see a few more big spills in the form of the R8v10 because of this.

KersoF1,

I haven't hear any reports of how it's performing compared to the current R8 (lap times and acceleration), what have you heard?

KresoF1
June 1st, 2008, 13:55
Leadie,

O-100km/h will be in 4.2s(worst case) till 3.9s(best case) range
315km/h max.
Around 70kg more weight(I hope around 50kg).

According to my source Stippler did around 7.39min in R8 V10 so, it is in best case 10s-15s faster on the Ring...

BUT, main problem-those who drove it liked R8 V8 more... Why? First, handling is more fluid with V8. Second, gears are much longer on V10. That is good on some tracks but, not so good for everyday driving. Third, V10 produces much more vibration and mechanical noises then V8(Audi guys claims that V10 is much less prone to vibrations then LP560-4 engine). Fourth and this is MY personal observation-Audi intro for R8 V10 is little bit too late IMHO. Why?

Well, most of the competitors(FL997, Ferrari California) will feature 7Speed DSG and Audi will still use manual(and truly not-so-good R Tronic). R8 V10 needs to be better in all aspects then current R8 to be a true winner. NOT only more powerfull or faster version. It needs to drive that good that most buyers will not notice that state-of-the-art gearbox technology is not there(unlike competitors mentioned above).
Also not good news at all-NO(!!!) S Tronic or RS Tronic in R8 till end of its productin life. It is coming from very reliable source.

Leadfoot
June 1st, 2008, 15:20
Leadie,

O-100km/h will be in 4.2s(worst case) till 3.9s(best case) range
315km/h max.
Around 70kg more weight(I hope around 50kg).

Figures are consistent with what I was expecting. ;)

According to my source Stippler did around 7.39min in R8 V10 so, it is in best case 10s-15s faster on the Ring...

Again similar to what I was expecting based on my estimates of a 7:4? from Mr Horst.

BUT, main problem-those who drove it liked R8 V8 more... Why? First, handling is more fluid with V8. Second, gears are much longer on V10. That is good on some tracks but, not so good for everyday driving. Third, V10 produces much more vibration and mechanical noises then V8(Audi guys claims that V10 is much less prone to vibrations then LP560-4 engine). Fourth and this is MY personal observation-Audi intro for R8 V10 is little bit too late IMHO. Why?

Well, most of the competitors(FL997, Ferrari California) will feature 7Speed DSG and Audi will still use manual(and truly not-so-good R Tronic). R8 V10 needs to be better in all aspects then current R8 to be a true winner. NOT only more powerfull or faster version. It needs to drive that good that most buyers will not notice that state-of-the-art gearbox technology is not there(unlike competitors mentioned above).
Also not good news at all-NO(!!!) S Tronic or RS Tronic in R8 till end of its production life. It is coming from very reliable source.

It's understandable not to expect a S/Tronic gearbox making it into production for either the Gallardo or the R8, both models are a very limited production run and the expense far out-weigh the benefits. Unlike Ferrari which will use it's transaxle dual clutch in almost everything new model from this point on, including the Maseratis.

Audi don't and can't see the R8 model being anything more than a glory model for the range and I doubt Audi are making anywhere near as much per car sold compared to either Porsche or Ferrari. The development work alone would probably add £20K to the price of each car.

Though we can all live in hope. ;)

The RS6
June 1st, 2008, 15:26
Maybe we will see an R8+ at the end of the production cycle with all those accessories :)

Leadfoot
June 1st, 2008, 20:27
Just a thought but do you really think Audi will limit it's top speed to 315km/h (197mph), my estimates are that it's true peak speed would be closer to 205mph.

Maybe it will have a similarly relaxed limiter that the 250km/h (155mph) cars seem to have. ;)