PDA

View Full Version : RS5 to have 4.2V8 FSI 450hp

pampas
May 22nd, 2008, 02:39
RS5 to have 4.2V8 FSI 450hp

No turbos, twin turbos or anything else ... just a plains V8 (well, with FSI). True or not, I don't know for sure, but "johnybravo" posted a file with all Audi future production on some other forums, I will just re-post the link here. (http://www.esnips.com/doc/4e08904a-c6f3-4107-b3ca-45f8d0938cf2/Audi-Product-info-4-2008)

RS5 4.2 FSI
331 kW (450k)
S-tronic7
quattro
production May 2010
available Jul 2010

MYself, I like the number 450 for the hp, I am just wondering what's the tq for that engine (ussually it's not that much in such a high rev engine). But, it should be an improvement over the current 420hp 4.2V8 FSI.

RXBG
May 22nd, 2008, 04:21
that sounds more like a B7 RS4+ type of engine. i don't see how it could make much more torque. even with the S5 line weight loss i don't see how this car would be an evolution of the RS4's with that minimal of a gain. i expect the next RS4 and RS5 will have the same engine and that this engine will have to make close to 500 hp. the way i think it'll do this will be through some sort of forced induction. unless audi moves to a larger displacement with 4.5 liters it will need to turbocharge, supercharge, or twincharge the RS4 motor. doing so could yield 500 hp and 425 lb/ft of torque.

i am still at a quandary with what audi plans to do since even the V10 in the R8 will make less power and torque than this engine.

the other possibility is that audi will spend money on lighter parts for the RS4/5, maybe more aluminium and even some CF, instead of a brand new engine. doing so, with a weight loss of maybe 150 lbs over the S4/S5, and 30 more hp and a teeny bit of torque more than the RS4 engine, could potentially give us RS levels of performance too. but that is kind of a tall order....

chewym
May 22nd, 2008, 06:00
Supposedly lot's of new info about everything. Including many new engines. I am not sure how authentic the spreadsheet is.

Rage
May 22nd, 2008, 09:44
Thats an interesting excel spreadsheet. Nevertheless i spotted some mistakes on it....whats the source? Perhaps compiled as a dealer schedule/forecast?

Also if the RS5 is due in 2010, its still too early to have finalised an engine (whether NA or turbo) and its respective spec.

artur777
May 22nd, 2008, 11:35
Absoultely - 2 years befre RS5 start - too early to make final predictions!
I am sure they are trying to install several engine options:-))))
And later they will choose....
Anyway - nothing extremely new in that information:-))

KresoF1
May 22nd, 2008, 13:25
List is as accurate as possible. I was very supriesed that it leaked on the net. It is internal Audi Germany document that is part of bigger info pack that was sended to all European Audi importers.

As I previously said many times NO RS4 before 2011...

HKS786
May 22nd, 2008, 13:30
List is as accurate as possible. I was very supriesed that it leaked on the net. It is internal Audi Germany document that is part of bigger info pack that was sended to all European Audi importers.

As I previously said many times NO RS4 before 2011...

So you can confirm the RS5 will receive 4.2 V8 at 450bhp? what about tq figures?

tazsura
May 22nd, 2008, 13:34
Hmmm, no mention of the TT-RS or Clubsport on there either. Or thought that these were both pretty certain for production, no?

Taz :eye:

KresoF1
May 22nd, 2008, 13:45
So you can confirm the RS5 will receive 4.2 V8 at 450bhp? what about tq figures?

About 460Nm...

Regarding TT-R and TT Clubsport... Clubsport will be not be produced. TT-R late 2010 but, TT-R is not approved yet by Audi HQ...

Rage
May 22nd, 2008, 13:56
About 460Nm...

Regarding TT-R and TT Clubsport... Clubsport will be not be produced. TT-R late 2010 but, TT-R is not approved yet by Audi HQ...

Thanks.

Thats not what Leadie hinted at..

KresoF1
May 22nd, 2008, 14:03
...of course! Problem is that Leadie seems to forget that Porsche owns VAG... TT-R is great car but, its R5 engine can be used only in it! Since it is R(or RS) line model it can not share an engine with VW Sirocco for example. I would love to see TT-R but, chance are 50/50 currently...

ZeroCool
May 22nd, 2008, 14:27
why can this engine only be used in the TT-R?

There are a lot of other cars...

RS3 ... Scirocco, Golf...?!
IMO it's also possible to put it in an A4, A5, A6 as a "normal" version?!

KresoF1
May 22nd, 2008, 14:30
There will be NO RS3 for example. Simply said it is not economical to produce TT-R right now... It's future is in Porsche hands...

Leadfoot
May 22nd, 2008, 14:43
...of course! Problem is that Leadie seems to forget that Porsche owns VAG... TT-R is great car but, its R5 engine can be used only in it! Since it is R(or RS) line model it can not share an engine with VW Sirocco for example. I would love to see TT-R but, chance are 50/50 currently...

I can only go on the info that is passed to me and what I was told is that the TT/RS has been built, my source has really experience of the thing and says it's incredible, so incredible in fact that Porsche has given a green light to the Cayman Turbo.

The last I heard was that the TT will be here next year, but the same was true of the RS5 but at present this story has gone very cold. I hope to provide some info soon but until then I can only go on what I know.

Leadfoot
May 22nd, 2008, 14:48
There is some mistakes on the list which leads me to believe it's a leak but with enough mistakes to leave people in doubt.

Meaning some info is correct and some is not.

KresoF1
May 22nd, 2008, 14:56
I have almost the same list from Audi Germany and there are only minor differences...

Leadfoot
May 22nd, 2008, 15:48
Anyway, why all the long faces with only a possible 450hp in the RS5, if Quattro has put the effort in to reduce overall weight and more importantly weight form the nose then you will be getting one hack of a driver's car with all the all-weather ability of any Quattro plus very impressive performance to boot.

450hp + 1650kgs(inc75kgs) + 7sp S/Tronic = :wo:

KresoF1
May 22nd, 2008, 17:05
You can already reduce weight very simply. Let's say that RS5 weight as much as S5 but, add Buckets(-16kg in comparsion with standard memory S5 seats) and Ceramics(-20kg) = pretty good value...

Leadfoot
May 22nd, 2008, 17:33
You can already reduce weight very simply. Let's say that RS5 weight as much as S5 but, add Buckets(-16kg in comparsion with standard memory S5 seats) and Ceramics(-20kg) = pretty good value...

Neither of these will reduce the weight from the nose and though the ceramic brakes will improve not only braking but steering as well I don't feel too many people forking out £50K+ will want to pay an extra £5K on top of that for better brakes. Also the seat are great but not everyone can get comfortable in them so I feel the weight needs to be found else where.

Or better still just buy a TT/RS and be done with it. :D

Damienr8
May 22nd, 2008, 17:51
Anyway, why all the long faces with only a possible 450hp in the RS5, if Quattro has put the effort in to reduce overall weight and more importantly weight form the nose then you will be getting one hack of a driver's car with all the all-weather ability of any Quattro plus very impressive performance to boot.

I have no problems with the RS5 having 450hp. I have always said that i think the RS5 will still have the 420hp V8 in the RS4. If they can squeeze another 30hp, then so be it. 420hp + 7spd Stronic would be fine, and if they can lighten the car a bit, it would be awesome.

I cant imagine the RS4/5 developing more than 450 hp. What's the point? If hp trends continue, in 2 generations, the RS4 will be making 550+hp. Rediculous. These HP wars are completely retarded. Audi should concentrate on weight saving in platform, component and engine developments. They should also concentrate in making these engines more efficient with fuel, have lower emissions and be more reliable....... sorry if im venting.:nana:

ZeroCool
May 22nd, 2008, 19:58
There will be NO RS3 for example. Simply said it is not economical to produce TT-R right now... It's future is in Porsche hands...

Are you 100% sure about that :D - that there will be no RS3? ;)

HKS786
May 22nd, 2008, 20:16
Are you 100% sure about that :D - that there will be no RS3? ;)

The only way I can see it possible is that the B8 A4 has grown. The new RS4 is going to be huge, which means Audi have no small RS tuned models.

TT-R will be useless for rear seats even though it is a smaller model, maybe the RS3 would be perfect to have between the TT-R and RS4? I'd much rather see Audi focus on getting the TT-R, RS4, RS5 released though before any RS3 plans :D

Benman
May 22nd, 2008, 20:28
Or better still just buy a TT/RS and be done with it. :D

Or... just keep my MkI :rs6kiss: Same Power, way more torque. ;)

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
May 22nd, 2008, 21:00
Or... just keep my MkI :rs6kiss: Same Power, way more torque. ;)

Ben,

The big old girl can still lift her shirt and run with the rest of them but on the handling front and overall balance of controls she is starting to show her age. The new breed of sports saloons and coupe and simply better.

To me the TT/RS will be the nearest thing I will get to owning an R8, not that the money would be the problem, more the practically of the thing. The TT might have tiny rear seats but at least they fold flat and allow a decent space for necessities. The things I need to carry can never be carried in the R8 so alas I will never be owning one.

But at least the TT will all but match it's performance, it will feel equally as light on it's feet and with that interior have all of the drama and excitement and an engine note to die for. I hope to be first in line for the TT/RS and will be very put out if I am not.

Benman
May 22nd, 2008, 21:43
Ben,

The big old girl can still lift her shirt and run with the rest of them but on the handling front and overall balance of controls she is starting to show her age. The new breed of sports saloons and coupe and simply better.

She sure can. ;)

As for the new breed, correct, but nothing some $$$ in suspension and brake upgrades can't cure... and a hell of a lot cheaper. :D

The official curb weight for the 03' RS 6 was 4015 dry. The official curb weight for the S5 is just under 3900, hardly a big improvement. I also have serious doubts that the RS 5 will weight anything less than the S5, therefore it will weight just about the same with the same hp and far less torque.

$80K+ for a RS 5, or @ $10K for a nice chip, suspension and brakes for my :rs6kiss: ... same track performance... let me think. ;) :cheers:

pampas
May 22nd, 2008, 23:08

30hp and 20tq more is not much, but it helps, and I do not think we really need a 500hp RS5, that would be too much for the competition (thinking at M3) to catch up again ...

We need a little weight lost, even 100lbs is something when you also add the S-tronic performance and some extra hp/tq. Plus it should have the new quattro by that time, another improvement in control/cornering/etc.

---
TT-RS will be out for sure next summer. It's not in this document, I don't know why, but unless my source got his info from Audi (directly) wrong we should see the little RS out july 2009.

pampas
May 22nd, 2008, 23:15
$80K+ for a RS 5, or @ $10K for a nice chip, suspension and brakes for my :rs6kiss: ... same track performance... let me think. ;) :cheers:

On the track, B7 RS4 is much faster than RS6 (2003). I don't see why they can't do the same with S>RS5.

Track RS4 (B7)RS6 (C5)
Nordschleife 7:58 8:20
Tsukuba 1:08.36 1:09.69
Hockenheim Short 1:15.4 1:17.9
Oschersleben 1:48.69 1:52.20

Rage
May 22nd, 2008, 23:45
I think 450 HP is enough.

Im in a real dilemna.....do i transfer my RS5 deposit to the TTRS?? Im currently first in line for the RS5.

Leadfoot
May 22nd, 2008, 23:55

Im in a real dilemna.....do i transfer my RS5 deposit to the TTRS?? Im currently first in line for the RS5.

In any case you will have to wait before I get my TT. :hihi:

Benman
May 22nd, 2008, 23:59
On the track, B7 RS4 is much faster than RS6 (2003).

Stock to stock, you are 100% correct. ;)

My point was for me, having a RS 6 MkI paid for free and clear, it would make much more sense to put an additional $10K into making the car as fast as the new RS 5 vs going out and getting another $80-$100K car.
:cheers:

pampas
May 23rd, 2008, 00:06

Just drop another deposit on the TTRS .. you'll retract the deposit on the car you don't want later on.

Rage
May 23rd, 2008, 00:22
Just drop another deposit on the TTRS .. you'll retract the deposit on the car you don't want later on.

Seems kinda unethical to have first-in-line (yeah you read that right Leadie:)) deposits on a dealers next 2 RS launches....I really ought to choose.

chewym
May 23rd, 2008, 00:23
I cant imagine the RS4/5 developing more than 450 hp. What's the point? If hp trends continue, in 2 generations, the RS4 will be making 550+hp. Rediculous. These HP wars are completely retarded. Audi should concentrate on weight saving in platform, component and engine developments. They should also concentrate in making these engines more efficient with fuel, have lower emissions and be more reliable....... sorry if im venting.:nana:

A 480-500 horsepower twin turbo V8 would be more fuel efficient than the 450 horsepower NA V8.

Leadfoot
May 23rd, 2008, 00:31
Seems kinda unethical to have first-in-line (yeah you read that right Leadie:)) deposits on a dealers next 2 RS launches....I really ought to choose.

Well you might not be first for the TT as I instead to collect mine at the factory.:hihi:

Rage
May 27th, 2008, 00:59
I wonder what the rev range will be.

Audiphile
May 27th, 2008, 04:47
Thats an interesting excel spreadsheet. Nevertheless i spotted some mistakes on it....whats the source? Perhaps compiled as a dealer schedule/forecast?

Also if the RS5 is due in 2010, its still too early to have finalised an engine (whether NA or turbo) and its respective spec.

What I can tell is that it is from some kind of Czech dealer internal memo (if it is actually an internal memo). Luckily, I speak Czech and understand Slovak.

Damienr8
May 27th, 2008, 17:28
A 480-500 horsepower twin turbo V8 would be more fuel efficient than the 450 horsepower NA V8.

It would also be heavier, more expensive, etc.

Rage
June 15th, 2008, 15:13
The original link to the spreadsheet has been withdrawn.
Anyone have a another link? Something id like to check.

inF
June 15th, 2008, 23:18
http://www.oto-park.com/and/audi.xls

Rage
June 16th, 2008, 11:16
Thanks^ ...

Leadfoot
June 16th, 2008, 14:41
The real surprise with this pdf is no manual option on the RS5.

Rage
June 16th, 2008, 15:58
The real surprise with this pdf is no manual option on the RS5.

Im not sure how accurate that pdf can be. If it is correct about no manual option and 450HP V84.2 FSI then the RS5 must be reasonably close to final testing. In that case why are Audi holding it back?

Leadfoot
June 16th, 2008, 16:53
Im not sure how accurate that pdf can be. If it is correct about no manual option and 450HP V84.2 FSI then the RS5 must be reasonably close to final testing. In that case why are Audi holding it back?

I can't comment on the possibility that S/Tronic is the only choice open to one, it's the die-hard enthusiasts choice because of it's ultimately the quicker option but not everyone will want it. Best to offer a manual as well.

Another point about this pdf, there is no TT/R, why? According to my source the chances of the car making it to production are very high indeed and it's meant to be out before the RS5. There seems to be holes in the info and if there is hole then what else could be wrong with the info provided.

The Pretender
June 16th, 2008, 22:30
That PDF is 100% fake.

Jarod.

HKS786
June 16th, 2008, 23:03
That PDF is 100% fake.

Jarod.

Hans what have you heard that is concrete about the RS5?

Rage
June 17th, 2008, 14:10
That PDF is 100% fake.

Jarod.

LOL. Sometimes I wonder if you have a split personality.

Leadfoot
June 17th, 2008, 14:30
Not a split personality but a split person.;)

The Pretender
June 17th, 2008, 19:44
My info say its a 4.0TFSI (as in Supercharger) big brother of the new S4 engine with ± 444 hp.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
June 17th, 2008, 20:30
My info say its a 4.0TFSI (as in Supercharger) big brother of the new S4 engine with ± 444 hp.

Jarod.

I know it's been rumoured and you and I have discussed this possible option some time ago. I also remember hinting to everyone that the new word from QuattroGmbH was down-sizing, so this is a very big possibiliy. ;)