PDA

View Full Version : Cornishmoochers test drive of the new RS6

cornishmoocher
May 16th, 2008, 21:37
Righto then!!

Please remember I am not a "journo" or professional writer, just some bloke who has driven the new beastie!

Firstly, I was also told a string of do's and do not's. The car was a group tester, the display model and shared between 4 other dealerships. It had to be run in and under no circumstances would the car be taken above 100mph or 5krpm. Arse!! The car was retailing at £82k, and was going to be sold. It had to be valeted after every test, so no puddle jumping or muddy lane thrashing, BORING!

Anyhoo, Bollox to all of that, lets drive the thing.

Firstly, I was surprised at how big the car actually was, much bigger than I expected. The squarish boxy arches do add a certain menace to the car, which already has an underlying purposfullnes. The 20" rims and tyres are not just Bling, they are there for a reason, to add to the cars overall being. (also to put down all of that insane power).
The Boot (trunk) was cavernous, bigger than my C5 variant. Which is a good thing, although the space is big in the C5 it needed to be bigger.

On to the interior, this is where you really see the evolution, where as in the old C5, you feel as you are only in the thing because the car likes you and wants you to be there, and the space is well, kind of open plan, which is quite nice in a sense, but when you are being a hoooligan its a bit sloppy. That has all gone in the C6. The car invites you in, wraps around you, and generally welcomes you with your slippers and a cup of tea. Nice. Loads of leg room in the back for the ankle biters and all those hangers on who will want to go for a ride.
The only thing that I was apprehensive of was how dark it was in there with the black leather. I need not have worried, you do not notice it.
You turn the key with something like a bated breath, waiting for the noise of the V10tt, and..... you can hardly hear it, inside it really is a non entity, this will be the subtle "buisnessmans" bit, cruise in silence. They always said the C5 sounded better from outside, but at least you could hear it on the inside, not intrusive but just there like a comforting tick from an old clock. Not this one, but this may just be a personal opinion, but this for me was disapointing. However from the outside at tick over it did sound good, but what is the point of that? Unless you are the type who buys one then just watches it as someone else drives it!!???!!

I din't really get to play with the ICE, SATNAV or DIS, but from what I saw it was pretty bloody good, the dynamic parking system incorperates a TV and shows the rear view, plots your ultimate position and guides you too it- brilliant.
The selectable suspension was a bit of a worry, knowing what we all do about the DRC, the 3 settings, comfort, (wafts along) Dynamic (fuck knows what it did- nothing as far as i could see!) and sport, which turned your £80k car into a block of granite.
There were an awful lot of buttons and switches, all of which i am sure is where the £80k has gone, but I wanted to drive and not bugger about with Knobs and switches.

SO, you select D, and of you go, and the first thing that hits you is the responsivness of the throttle. No lag or thinking about it like the old 6, it just goes, smoothly. (Please remember that this car only had 41 miles on it so it was all very tight and the brakes where not bedded in.) good feedback through the lovely Lambo wheel and the impression of the "big car" disapears. Up to the roundabout and squirt it across the junction, and bloody hell, the thing comes alive, the RS is there all right. the gear changes are seemless and quick, much quicker than the old 6. Road holding is excellent, understeer, whist not a thing of the past is greatly reduced, making the "turn in" a nicer place to be. Plant the throttle on the exit, and it is like hitting the HYPERSPACE button, all hell breaks loose, the howl from the engine invades every sense, including smell, as at this point I let an involentary fart go! Lively but not wayward handling extolling the virtues of the Quattro system. So now we take it from D and slip into S. Not good. At low speeds, forget it, the box was completely confused. It sat there holding the revs up waiting for the deamon in you to plant it and scream of down the road, only to be told that after 3 seconds of excelleration to slow down again, so dropped a gog with a bang and a lurch. Cringeworthy driving. I felt stupid. To counter act this, once on the dual carriage way, it redeemed itself, you really would never need to use the "flappy paddles" (although it is a waste not to, as we all know), the way it changes up is phenominal, and when it changes down the throttle blip is enough to make you wet your pants. 5th gear came up and 4k rpm maintained a speed of 120mph, drpped into 6th and this fell away to just over 3k. That is spectacular in my book. The noise went away, and it reverted back to the fat business mans car. Bollocks to that, into tippytronicnuttermode. Flip the downshift paddle twice and you are off again, this is a paddle box that does as it is told- as long as it says you can, and in everyday use, its perfect. The purist amongst you will want 2nd gear and the car wont let you etc, but I can only ever see that happen on the track. The handling, the responsiveness is excellent, it handles that huge weight very well, and with the CF option will stop in a spleen removing time.
Bearing in mind the thing was running in and we had a cap on the speed we could achieve, I have no hesitation in saying this car will be phenominally quick.

This car IS fantastic, its just not as visceral as the old one, its more refind, an axe murderer in a Tux listening to Vivaldi instaed of an axe murderer listening to people being axe murdered.

Back at the dealers, we parked up, and the car went of to be massaged and pampered, I paid my respects and jumped into my old C5 RS6, an interesting thing happened, A question was answered.

Someone said to me the other day,When the times come, where do you go from your RS6, there is nothing in the world to compare to it. Well there is now. The new one.

Regards

Alex.

Some pics and a video, sorry!

"http://www.youtube.com/v/vRGSQLAmuwg"

Rutkowsky
May 16th, 2008, 22:10
Awesome! Sounds like you had a goood time indeed!! Thanx for the write up and tbh, i much prefer reviews coming from 'real people' as opposed to jornoulists! I've a question, have you ever driven e60 M5 or been a passenger in one? I just want some comparison.
And will you have the new RS6 some time in future or have you ever considered B7 RS4?

YlwBeast
May 16th, 2008, 22:11
...and you say that you don't write very well? On the contrary mate...in your terms Bollox!! You did an excellent job of describing this new beast! Almost felt as if I was right there experiencing it with you!:rs6kiss:
For us fellas on this side of the pond who have/had C5 RS6's, this definitely makes the wait worth it. You lucky devil you... again, THANKS!!!:cheers:

Rutkowsky
May 16th, 2008, 22:13
Also how's the steering - precise? And could you feel the over 2000 kg of weight?

cornishmoocher
May 16th, 2008, 22:18
Thanks guy's!:blush:

The steering is spot on- that was the good feedback, and the reduced understeer. Loads of confidence!
B7 Rs4 Avant is to small, I need a sensible family car:jlol:

M5 yes, didn't like it, I want a car to be good all the time not when you have to make it good. e60, no, although my mate has a brabus, but we have not met yet on the road.........

AndyBG
May 17th, 2008, 01:33
This new RS 6 sounds like a near perfect car! :addict: :rs6kiss:

MikeL01
May 17th, 2008, 01:39
Well done Mooch. Finally a review from "one of us"!!!

ZCD2.7T
May 17th, 2008, 04:32
Nothing like the moment when a car makes you swear and cackle uncontrollably - hilarious!

Must be one heck of a car. Pity we won't see it here...:vgrumpy:

DuckWingDuck
May 17th, 2008, 04:47
mooch, tremendous write-up and I love the spy camera!!

PeterJohn
May 17th, 2008, 08:22
I'm certain there will be a "sports exhaust" option for customers that enjoy engine noise.

cornishmoocher
May 17th, 2008, 08:29
I'm certain there will be a "sports exhaust" option for customers that enjoy engine noise.
Im sure there will be a plethora of mods available verrrrry soon!
Audi have already tried to pre-empt the re-mappers by offering a 175mph version for a mere £1500.00.
I actually think that the car would do that speed without the mod, and with it they just remove the limiter all together, after all my standard C5 did 180+ gps verified, and that was suposed to be limited to 155!

Michaël Barbé
May 17th, 2008, 10:02
Now that's what I call a post! I love to read those things!! I agree with all the other users! I would do anything to own that things you write so exciting about!

Respect!

MB
:rs6kiss:

LU-RS6
May 17th, 2008, 11:11
Mooch thanks for that, you write like a pro man!

I love this bit:

This car IS fantastic, its just not as visceral as the old one, its more refind, an axe murderer in a Tux listening to Vivaldi instaed of an axe murderer listening to people being axe murdered.

cornishmoocher
May 17th, 2008, 11:15
:D :D :blush: :thumb:

Thanks LU !

artur777
May 17th, 2008, 14:18
nice one review
congratulations!!!!
would you buy the car after this test-drive????

cornishmoocher
May 17th, 2008, 14:40
nice one review
congratulations!!!!
would you buy the car after this test-drive????
Not from new, but I really beleive that this car will hold its value like the B7 RS4. I think it will still be £50k in 3-4 years time.

Ruergard
May 17th, 2008, 21:27
As Lu wrote above, the writing is superb! :thumb:

Great to read a review from someone who isn't a journalist, and even better someone who could compare to the old beast. It sounds very promising this, thanks! :)

Mockenrue
May 17th, 2008, 21:35
Excellent write up and video Alex. :thumb:

Andyuk911
May 17th, 2008, 22:03
I live Tonbridge Audi, I must pay them a visit ...

cornishmoocher
May 17th, 2008, 22:09
I live Tonbridge Audi, I must pay them a visit ...
Dont mention the video for christs sake, the poor salesman will get sacked!!

So were nearly neighbours then, Im just outside Paddock Wood!

cornishmoocher
May 18th, 2008, 10:50
Just as a post script, One thing I did notice, and something that I didnt mention was that the "sport" button has disapeared as has the start button that was a feature of the B7 RS4. Strange really, seeing as the car has about a million other buttons, a couple extra would make no difference.

Rutkowsky
May 18th, 2008, 11:34
No engine start button? Very strange

Leadfoot
May 18th, 2008, 13:04
Great to hear you enjoyed yourself, I swear I could hear that fart escape your cheeks. :lovl:

Back to the car, I take it you like...........:heart: and I guess you have already tried the RS4 a much lighter and more focused driver's car so you should be able to give a valid opinion on whether the RS6 steered and handled as well at moderate speeds, my understanding is that it does but I would like to hear from someone other than ones close to the project.

P.S.
I could hear in your voice that the sheer performance is pretty incredible, even compared to your non-standard RS6 Mk1 which is a good thing as someone like yourself don't want to change to something that's slower, I know I don't.

P.S.2
It's great to see someone else who gets just as excited about new cars as I do......................I am not alone. :cheers:

cornishmoocher
May 18th, 2008, 13:35
Great to hear you enjoyed yourself, I swear I could hear that fart escape your cheeks. :lovl:

Back to the car, I take it you like...........:heart: and I guess you have already tried the RS4 a much lighter and more focused driver's car so you should be able to give a valid opinion on whether the RS6 steered and handled as well at moderate speeds, my understanding is that it does but I would like to hear from someone other than ones close to the project.

P.S.
I could hear in your voice that the sheer performance is pretty incredible, even compared to your non-standard RS6 Mk1 which is a good thing as someone like yourself don't want to change to something that's slower, I know I don't.

P.S.2
It's great to see someone else who gets just as excited about new cars as I do......................I am not alone. :cheers:

Its not AS lightfooted as the 4, but it is more precise, if that makes sense. But compared to my c5, its a ballarina!!

I loved it, but not in the way I love my C5, but in the way that I now know what I can change to when the time comes to change the Beast, by which time the mappers will have worked there wizzardry and black magic!

Thanks for your comments!:thumb:

Leadfoot
May 19th, 2008, 16:34
Its not AS lightfooted as the 4, but it is more precise, if that makes sense. But compared to my c5, its a ballarina!!

I understand exactly what you mean by that comment. I believe everyone will be surprised how good the RS5 will be compared to the RS4 when it finally rolls in.

I loved it, but not in the way I love my C5, but in the way that I now know what I can change to when the time comes to change the Beast, by which time the mappers will have worked there wizzardry and black magic!

Thanks for your comments!:thumb:

I'm not a lover of tuning companies, always felt there was a trade-off when you go and look for more power compared to what the manufacturer gives you. MTM might be different because of their ties with Audi already, a bit like Alpina and AMG(in the past) I suppose.

I do know that the engine is capable of so much more than it currently producing so the internal should be perfectly up to the job.

cornishmoocher
May 19th, 2008, 19:15
I understand exactly what you mean by that comment. I believe everyone will be surprised how good the RS5 will be compared to the RS4 when it finally rolls in.

I'm not a lover of tuning companies, always felt there was a trade-off when you go and look for more power compared to what the manufacturer gives you. MTM might be different because of their ties with Audi already, a bit like Alpina and AMG(in the past) I suppose.

I do know that the engine is capable of so much more than it currently producing so the internal should be perfectly up to the job.

There is talk of a 800hp MTM version. :MTM: ....... talk at the moment, but i dont doubt it. the engine barely breaks into a sweat!

I tell you now, when they launch the RS5, that will be THE car. The more I see the s5, the more it grows on me.:hahahehe:

Leadfoot
May 19th, 2008, 19:26
There is talk of a 800hp MTM version. :MTM: ....... talk at the moment, but i dont doubt it. the engine barely breaks into a sweat!

I tell you now, when they launch the RS5, that will be THE car. The more I see the s5, the more it grows on me.:hahahehe:

The engine may be capable of this figure but I think the gearbox might be struggling at that point.

The RS5 will be THE car, but it won't be MY car. The title will be going to the ever so sweet TT/RS, I think everyone will be really surprised at it. Even more so than the mighty RS5. :hahahehe:

Both will be great but for different reasons. :thumb:

cornishmoocher
May 19th, 2008, 20:11
The engine may be capable of this figure but I think the gearbox might be struggling at that point.

The RS5 will be THE car, but it won't be MY car. The title will be going to the ever so sweet TT/RS, I think everyone will be really surprised at it. Even more so than the mighty RS5. :hahahehe:

Both will be great but for different reasons. :thumb:

This is the whole point tho isn't it.

Its horses for courses. I need a family bus. (That will do near 200mph:jlol: )

Thats why i have the C5 instead of the B7 Avant, it was just too small. Now, if I was single again:noshake: , I would definately have the R8.
The RS5, I my opinion, will appeal to the "inbetweenies".

I am not sure how good they can actually make the TTr without it treading on the R8's toes at 35k less wonga..................

Leadfoot
May 19th, 2008, 20:35
This is the whole point tho isn't it.

Its horses for courses. I need a family bus. (That will do near 200mph:jlol: )

Thats why i have the C5 instead of the B7 Avant, it was just too small. Now, if I was single again:noshake: , I would definately have the R8.
The RS5, I my opinion, will appeal to the "inbetweenies".

I am not sure how good they can actually make the TTr without it treading on the R8's toes at 35k less wonga..................

Don't look at the TT/RS as competing against the R8 or treading on it's toes. The two cars are competing for totally different customers and even if the TT proves to be much closer in outright ability than the price difference would lead one to believe, it's experience will be worlds apart. That's is why the R8 is a much better car than the M6 even if it's ultimately slower.

Not wanting to get off topic, but I believe the TT/RS will be capable of 0-60mph times of 4.7s and will have both brilliant steering and handling balance and will prove to be way better than either the Z4M or I believe the current M3.

cornishmoocher
May 19th, 2008, 21:35
Don't look at the TT/RS as competing against the R8 or treading on it's toes. The two cars are competing for totally different customers and even if the TT proves to be much closer in outright ability than the price difference would lead one to believe, it's experience will be worlds apart. That's is why the R8 is a much better car than the M6 even if it's ultimately slower.

Not wanting to get off topic, but I believe the TT/RS will be capable of 0-60mph times of 4.7s and will have both brilliant steering and handling balance and will prove to be way better than either the Z4M or I believe the current M3.

I just hope Audi dont do what Pork did with the "Coxster" as Clarkson called it. Sat it slap bang in the middle of the others.

I was lucky enough to test the R8 too, and its quick, but not that quick, but as you say, it is by far the better car.

I am sure the TT will be able to do mid 4's, they haven't produced an RS car yet that can't!! Again, you have hit the proverbial nail on its proverbial cranium, it will handle like a dream. one question tho, Manual or DSG?????

BLITZEN
May 19th, 2008, 23:22
Comparing the TT, R8, RS4, R5 & RS6 brings to mind the LeMans races I saw this weekend (ALMS #5 at Miller Motorsports park).

All the cars were blistering fast race cars. But I was amazed at how noticible the differences were between them. You could actually see how much better the Porsche GT2 cars could corner than the 500lb heavier Audi. Conversely, the Audi just killed the Porsche on the straights.

Audi would have won the overall if it wasn't for the slowest car on the track, a Ford GT. The Audi was overtaking the Ford on the right, the Porsche then came up on its left. The Ford must not have seen (or heard) the quiet Audi, but noticed the taxi-cab yellow Porsche. He pulled to the right to give him room, right into the race leader. :nana:

:addict: :addict: :addict: :addict: :addict: :addict:

artur777
May 19th, 2008, 23:33
Leadie, why do you think that TTRS will be better than RS5???
In my opinion, RS5 will be the diamond of the crown

TTRS is to be a younger brother:-)))

Leadfoot
May 20th, 2008, 21:43
Leadie, why do you think that TTRS will be better than RS5???
In my opinion, RS5 will be the diamond of the crown

TTRS is to be a younger brother:-)))

The TT/RS will be more my kind of car. The RS5 will be outstanding in every way, it's will has great steering, balance, power and control but it will still weight in at a possible 1650kgs, that will most likely be more than the TT/RS by at least 200kgs.

Think along the lines of a pocket rocket with brilliant directional balance and you will understand where I believe QuattroGmbH are wanting to place the TT/RS in the market sector.

Like I said, it's my kind of a car. :D

Benman
May 21st, 2008, 00:26
Mooch thanks for that, you write like a pro man!

I love this bit:

"This car IS fantastic, its just not as visceral as the old one, its more refind, an axe murderer in a Tux listening to Vivaldi instaed of an axe murderer listening to people being axe murdered."

Yes, reminded me of the movie "American Psycho" with Christian Bale. :D

Ben:addict:

cornishmoocher
May 21st, 2008, 04:58
Yes, reminded me of the movie "American Psycho" with Christian Bale. :D

Not seen it,is it any good?

DuckWingDuck
May 21st, 2008, 05:30
it's a decent flick, well worth a rent if you've some free time on a flight or a weekend. I had an ex-girlfriend who absolutely adored the film.

rubyblack
May 21st, 2008, 07:08
I'm lost now.....are we still discussing the C6 RS6 test drive??? :0:

Cornish dude, it sounds as if you had a right old blast in it? How does the C5 feel in comparison, objectively speaking.....:thumb:

Benman
May 21st, 2008, 17:20
Not seen it,is it any good?

Only if your sense of humor is completely twisted... aka Leadfoot. ;) :D

Back on topic...:thumb:

Leadfoot
May 21st, 2008, 18:48
Only if your sense of humor is completely twisted... aka Leadfoot. ;) :D

Back on topic...:thumb:

I resent that comment Ben :w: ................. no matter how accurate it is. :D