PDA

View Full Version : UK RS6 owners (Dave then!) a few questions

TheBrit
November 25th, 2002, 20:46
If you don't mind!

1. Does the tyre pressure monitor also monitor temperatures? I know the new A8's system will do (had a fiddle at the Birmingham show) and I'm hoping the RS6's system does too.

2. Do you have a phone kit fitted? Any comments on signal quality and arial mounting? I used to have a Nokia CARK-91 in my A6 (and the A4 before that) mounted on the side of the console with a box speaker under the passenger footwell, but it was in the way just a little bit. In the S8 I've got the same kit with the handset in the armrest and the box speaker tucks right under the passenger footwell where you can't even see if let alone accidentally kick it off (guess what used to happen in the A6?). The S8 is the first time I've used an internal arial, the others were glassmounts on the rear 1/4-lights. Any thoughts on best practice?

3. How have you found the Nav CD? Is it a 2002 DX from TeleAtlas? My 2002 S8 came with a 2001 DX CD which doesn't have a 4 year old major reworking of the A16 on it! :( I do know that although the AA are working on TMC, TeleAtlas don't have the data points encoded yet, so that won't work either... :mad:

TIA etc.

FatBoy
November 25th, 2002, 20:55
Hi,
I'm waiting to take delivery of my RS6. However, we (a colleague and myself) ordered one each and he has already taken delivery of his. They both have the GSM installation kit fitted. You have to buy an adaptor to connect yor handset to the cradle in the center armrest. The sound from the telephone then comes out of a selected stereo speaker i.e. left, right or both, and the stereo will automatically mute when making or receiving a call.
However, rather dissappointingly, the telephone numbers can't be selected from the TV/SatNav screen as was possible in earlier versions.
I hope that answers your question.
Cheers
Paul

TheBrit
November 25th, 2002, 21:01
Originally posted by FatBoy
Hi,
I'm waiting to take delivery of my RS6. However, we (a colleague and myself) ordered one each and he has already taken delivery of his.
Wow, that must hurt. :bigeyes: Was your order just in later than his or have you been unlucky? Myself and my business partner both have one coming soon, hopefully they will arrive at the same time!

I haven't got the factory phone kit, not enough information about how it works was available & I knew the CARK-91 was OK. If there's no display integration any more, I don't see that I'm missing out on anything then? I perhaps should just get my installer to try harder to find the telephone input to integrate with the head unit. :)

Thanks for the info.

Dave
November 25th, 2002, 21:52
Hi Guys,

I'll try and answer what i can!

a) Tyre Pressure monitor:
You have a menu button just under the handbrake. press the button and a menu appears on the DIS.. you make sure your pressure are correct and then select the pressure set menu. The car then records the pressures and warns you on the DIS if the pressure drops more than 0.2bar. It doesn't meaure temperature (don't know why you want to know that?).. and doesn't give you the actual pressure.. just a drop from what you have set them.

b) Phone
I didn't have the phone system fitted.. my dealer talked me out of it. The Uk system is different to Europes so some of the features such as the emergency call out (you know.. where you break down and the car calls the help line) doesn't work in the Uk. I'm also not a great mobile user.. I need a bit of peace and quiet away from work so my car is a santuary.

c) Sat Nav
I got the 2002 tele atlas disc with my sat nav and it is superb. They have really updated the disc. All th petrol stations now have the makers too.. so if you have a petrol account like I do you can program in a Shell station and it will take you to that garage in a town. They have also updated the roads and also added loads of stuff like hotels and places of interest. My Dad had the 2000 version with his Merc and he is always nicking mine now for long journies. Says it is much more detailed and informative.
The system I think you refer to is the system in Germany and France where it re-routes you round tail backs automatically.. again not available in the Uk.. but you can put in roads to avoid on the move and it will re-route. No particularly easy when driving at 90 and listening to the radio.. easier if you have a passanger who knows what they are doing!
I love the Sat Nav.. it takes all the stress out of driving and you have nothing more to concentrate on than the next junction. Gives you much more time to concentrate on your driving.. which you will need to do in the RS :D

If you want anymore info.. let me know
Cheers
Dave.

Erik
November 26th, 2002, 12:51
Just a quick note on the Navi. I got an aftermarket system from Pioneer in my A6 since I thought it was much better value for money.

You can get a DVD based system which covers all of Europe and it's quick too. Usually it calculates 6 different routes in less than 8 seconds.
I used it for 4 weeks from Sweden to Italy and back covering many countries and it is excellent.
Depending on which system you buy you can also use it as a DVD-Movie player.

I prefer the Pioneer or maybe Alpine system.

The downside it that it is easier to steal such a system, but I can take away my TV-Screen so it just looks like an empty phone holder and the DVD reader / TV-box can be placed hidden.

Will post pictures at a later stage. Think this is a great way for americans to go from Nav minus to a real Nav Plus!

TheBrit
November 26th, 2002, 16:09
Thanks for the info Dave.

The new A8's tyre monitoring system will show the pressures and temperatures of all 5 tyres. Temperature is important as a rapid rise can indicate an impending blowout.

The 2002 CD sounds like a great improvement, although I did see a TeleAtlas survey car in the area a few weeks back, so perhaps Lincolnshire won't get updated until the 2003 CD...

One last question, do you run Optimax or some other super, or regular 95 RON unleaded? I must admit to running the S8 on 95 RON a lot of the time because Shell stations are a bit thin on the ground. I might try harder to find a Shell if Optimax makes a lot of difference in the RS6. :D

Dave
November 26th, 2002, 16:38
I do use optimax where I can.... but the trouble is that I have to pay for it..

My company has a texaco card so I tend to fill up with texaco super (98) and then add a bottle of millers (octane booster) that adds two points - taking it upto 100 ron. (I also use one bottle with optimax taking it to around 101)

If I can't get super then I add two bottles of millers octane boost, again to up the octane upto 98.

Not sure if it makes a great difference but I get better fuel economy with super/optimax and I feel that the car is more responsive on the throttle.

Dave

FatBoy
November 27th, 2002, 09:56
Regarding an after-market phone installation.....
Apparently, it is extremely difficult to install any after-market electrical items in an RS6 because it doesn't have a wiring loom in the conventional sense. It has some similar to a data network. For example, the indicator stalk switch isn't connected to the indicator bulb/relay by a continuous wire, but instead, sends a signal to an electronic box on a multiplexed "backbone". The result is a massively lighter and simpler electrical system, but conversly, there are no points available to tap after-market components to....even a tow bar is virtually impossible....apparently !

TheBrit
November 28th, 2002, 12:40
Originally posted by Dave
I get better fuel economy with super/optimax

How much better? I think it's debatable whether the increase in economy is greater, equal to or less than the increase in cost over regular unleaded. I heard that there might have been a tax break on sulphur free unleaded which would help offset the increased manufacturing cost, but that idea seems to have vanished off the face of the planet. :(

As an aside, the A2 gets better economy on Optimax, not sure it makes it much more responsive though, not that it feels up to much after driving the S8 anyway! :D

Dave
November 28th, 2002, 13:08
Agreed... I get about 22mpg with optimax as opposed to about 19 to 20 with normal unleaded...

I feel that it is even with cost.. so I use super as the engine is supposed to like it more.. even more so with the trubo charged engine. My 2001 S6 with the V8 would run on anything, it was so easy to please.. but the Bi-Turbo , I feel, needs a cleaner ignition to get full flavour :D

Dave