PDA

View Full Version : Next Neckarsulm RS car...

Rage
May 10th, 2008, 12:47
A great interview posted on Fourtitude.com with the head of Quattro GMBH.

Key excerts for this poll:

"Reil: You need some rockets in the life cycle to keep people attracted to the car. The second reason is every high performance car, not only at Audi but every manufacturer, has quite a sharp volume cycle. If you launch a new high performance car that is a good one, a lot of people want them. Then, two years later your competitor launches their new rocket and a lot of those people say, "I want to have this one. This is the newest this is the hottest."
In those high performance categories you have a high percentage of the customers jump from one marque to the other. They want to have the newest, the hottest. That is the reason why your volume cycle on a high performance car starts by shooting to the sky and then goes down. You can't have a nearly constant volume over a time period of six or seven years. That is impossible on a high performance car.
Journalist: To follow up on that, you are currently building R8, RS 6, and RS 4. So you can build three at one time. It is probably the most you have ever built at one time. Is that good or can you up that even more?
Reil: In our facility we have the R8 as a constant volume and then we have the outgoing RS 4 and the up-ramping RS 6. We would not be able to build three different cars in the highest point of their life. This would not be possible. We have an output of about 60 cars a day and if you mix them then it is okay."

Assuming R8 production is constant. Also assume RS6 will continue to up ramp. What will be the next RS car to take the place of the RS4?

ZeroCool
May 10th, 2008, 16:39
i voted for the RS5 - but i would also like to vote for the TT-RS ;) Because i'm sure that he isn't telling the truth - ok - not the whole truth ;)

i think that they'll expand their capacity - or should i say they have to expand. Because there is as he said, the R8, the RS6, the RS5, TT-RS (they are announced both for Summer next year - and till then the RS6 and the R8 will also be available) and the RS4 is also comming soon - if they continue to introduce the RS-Models 2 years after the "normal A-Model"

So IMO there is no way around expanding ;)

Rage
May 10th, 2008, 16:47
In the full interview he says RS models will still have a limited production run but have (?will) remain in production longer than their predecessors.

Longer production cycles....but more RS cars to 'get through'....im not sure which of those two statements has to give. I hope they do expand but I dont see such an expansion happening before the release of the TTRS/RS5...hence the poll.

Leadfoot
May 10th, 2008, 16:54
I have always said that there is a possibility that some of the work load could be farmed out with the finishing touches being performed in-house. Don't know if there is any likelihood of that happening but it's an option open to them.

P.S.
Extra R8 models do not mean that much extra customers. ;)

Also no one is taking into account the possibility of soon to be launched RS models with diesel engines. This is a very big possibility in all of the Q models and I reckon the rest in the near future.

pampas
May 10th, 2008, 17:31
TT rs will be next for sure;

I d like some info about rs5, cause it doesn't show up in Audi Timetable for 2009 at all. maybe 2010???

I voted for the next RS car to show up(TT RS), not for the next car I'd like to show up (rs5), I hope that was the poll for.

artur777
May 10th, 2008, 23:35
I voted for RS5 as it seems to be most logical variant.

AndyBG
May 10th, 2008, 23:57
Why everybody ''retired'' new RS 6...?

Neckarsulm needs to made some of them before going to another model.

Rage
May 11th, 2008, 00:04
Why everybody ''retired'' new RS 6...?

Neckarsulm needs to made some of them before going to another model.

The assumption is that they will continue to make the RS6. The question is what comes now since the RS4 is retired.

artur777
May 11th, 2008, 01:38
RS6 won't be for too long...
Look - Audi A6 was revealed at 2004.
New A6 will be revealed in 2010 as a 2011 MY.
So RS6 will end its lifecycle at the end of 2010.

Since up to now no RS6 were delivered (and it is delayed as could be seen from other posts) it's life span will comprise to 2-2,5 years.

Audi has to think about new RS cars on MLP platform with better weight balance, less weight, S-Tronic, SportDiff, Magnetic Ride and etc.
Audi has a big scope of new techs not found on RS6 and they need to implement them.

I don't want to say bad words about RS6 - it's a great car.
But it will never get such high remarks as previous RS4 and most of you know why.
And Audi understands it and will concentrate on new RS models that will be genuine masterpieces if new techs are included there.

Just my 0.02.

chewym
May 14th, 2008, 05:03
Audi needs to expand special vehicle production. If you don't go too fast, you can avoid problems. But there should be no reason why Audi should limit itself that it can't compete. Producing the RS4, RS6 and the R8 at one time should be a doable. The RS5 complicates it a little, but not if the RS4 and RS5 use the same engine.

TooFastForYou
May 14th, 2008, 10:32
i voted for the RS5 - but i would also like to vote for the TT-RS ;) Because i'm sure that he isn't telling the truth - ok - not the whole truth ;)

i think that they'll expand their capacity - or should i say they have to expand. Because there is as he said, the R8, the RS6, the RS5, TT-RS (they are announced both for Summer next year - and till then the RS6 and the R8 will also be available) and the RS4 is also comming soon - if they continue to introduce the RS-Models 2 years after the "normal A-Model"

So IMO there is no way around expanding ;)

Which one was the last RS-Model introduced only two years after the A-Model :confused:

I agree, that Quattro GmbH has ro expand their capacity.
Not only because of the current RS6, the upcoming RS5, TTRS and R8 V10, but also because they will build the Q7 V12 TDI (if my information is correct), and also the RS3.
The new RS4 is far away, there is still no S4 on the market, and the new RS4 will be build after the RS6 has ended his lifecycle.
And I also do not believe that we will see the RS5 next year, the A5/S5 is still very new on the market

Greez - TFFY

PS: I voted for the TTRS - not only because it should be released in 2009 if we could believe the Audi-Roadmap, but also because I want it to be my next car :ttaddict: :D

RXBG
May 14th, 2008, 14:36
they do need to get cracking on the RS6 avant delivery and the sedan introduction/delivery, as well. the A6 needs an update. and the line has at most 3 model years left (including 09).

that being said, the next RS will be the 5.

ZeroCool
May 14th, 2008, 20:00
Which one was the last RS-Model introduced only two years after the A-Model :confused:

I agree, that Quattro GmbH has ro expand their capacity.
Not only because of the current RS6, the upcoming RS5, TTRS and R8 V10, but also because they will build the Q7 V12 TDI (if my information is correct), and also the RS3.
The new RS4 is far away, there is still no S4 on the market, and the new RS4 will be build after the RS6 has ended his lifecycle.
And I also do not believe that we will see the RS5 next year, the A5/S5 is still very new on the market

Greez - TFFY

PS: I voted for the TTRS - not only because it should be released in 2009 if we could believe the Audi-Roadmap, but also because I want it to be my next car :ttaddict: :D

You get me wrong...i wanted to say, that they said - that they want to bring the RS-Cars 2 Years after the "A-Model"
With the A5/S5 they started...never before an S-Model came at the same time with the A-Model.

You know what i mean? ;)
If not call me :p

The Pretender
May 14th, 2008, 22:01
I see no need to expand.
When de R8 V10 go's into production it means less V8 models.
And the TT-R(S) will be next up.

Jarod.

ZeroCool
May 14th, 2008, 22:20
and the RS6?

so there are 3 different models at one time ... and also where's the Q7 V12 TDI?
i don't know - we'll see...

Leadfoot
May 14th, 2008, 22:40
I see no need to expand.
When de R8 V10 go's into production it means less V8 models.
And the TT-R(S) will be next up.

Jarod.

My opinion exactly, there is only so many R8 type customers out there.

Things (info) have gone very quiet on the RS5, unlike that of the TT/RS so I would agree this your opinions that the TT will be next. ;)

It will be nice for the baby brother (TT) to keep the big guy (R8) honest. :hahahehe:

pampas
May 15th, 2008, 01:44
they do need to get cracking on the RS6 avant delivery and the sedan introduction/delivery, as well. the A6 needs an update. and the line has at most 3 model years left (including 09).

that being said, the next RS will be the 5.

No, it will be the TT-RS !!! For sure !

:race: