PDA

View Full Version : Suspension fix - DRC

nene
May 2nd, 2008, 02:42
As some of you may be aware, a while back I had been looking to change the suspension on my RS6, because I had a suspicion the shocks had seen better days. To be precise, I had concerns that my passenger side suspension really needed to be replaced, mostly because I felt that side of the car was transferring lots of energy to the frame. I thought that it would be obvious to me that if the shock was not doing its job, it would have to be transferring energy/noise to the rest of the car.

Took the car in to my local Audi Shot, previously Clair Audi and now Audi of Westwood. These are the same guys that did my Mov'it brake upgrade, so they are pretty familiar with the car.
Told him the story, and wanted it diagnosed if possible before doing any work. Asked if they had done this before, and they confirmed they did a few, mostly either one or two front shocks, and a couple of rears. I did not feel the need to mention known DRC failures, and was really mostly interested in seeing if they had some experience with the issue.

They called me about a day later, and indeed the passenger side front shock was leaking, and the drivers side seeping. They had done some preliminary estimate, with parts and labor for both front shocks and alignment to be around USD $1300. I expected to be more, given how much after market suspension systems are costing.

He told me he was going to call Fidelity, my extended warranty team, to get this appraised and such. I told him not to bother, as I already knew struts/shocks were not covered. I asked him instead to spend the time getting all 4 shock absorbers, as I wanted the work done on all 4 corners. He felt it was overkill, given that the rear shocks were in still in great shape. I explained that it was best to spend the money all at once, and spend another 5 years without any worries. Well, at least I hope she lasts another 5 years.
Ok, after a bit of typing in the computer he tells me the rears a bit more expensive, and total estimate for parts, labor, and alignment around USD $3000. I said ... D-E-A-L!
All parts were in stock except for one rear shock, which arrived about 3 days later.
In the end the total came to be USD $3300. This amount also includes USD $100 deductible, based on story that follows. So not bad preliminary estimate.

Once the work was done, they took the car for a ride.
They could hear a clunking noise from the front passenger side, where the worst shock originally called home. So they looked closer, and found that upper and lower control arms also needed replaced. These parts they ordered upon inspection that it were faulty, since they were not in stock. My service advisor called me and let me know how things were progressing.

He had already called Fidelity, my extended warranty team, as he knew for sure these were covered. They came in, inspected, and once the work was done, the test drive showed no more clunking coming from the front. For parts and labor cost to replace control arms on front passenger side, the Fidelity team paid USD $1600. Thank you.

For some of you that have had suspension issues or replaced suspension with aftermarket, if your clunking is coming from the front, it may not be the suspension, but instead control arms that may need to be replaced. Especially if they were working extremely hard under stress of a bad DRC shock.

I really like the DRC and car drives like new once again. Did not feel the need to go with a different suspension, but I would have liked to have the option to lower it, which with stock DRC you don't have unless you go with different springs.

Parts list for everything is below for each of the work done.

1. DRC Suspension part numbers
(1) 4B3-413-031-P Shock Absorber Front
(1) 4B3-413-032 Shock Absorber Front
(1) 4B3-513-031-M Shock Absorber Rear
(1) 4B3-513-032 Shock Absorber Rear
(2) 4B3-698-009 Gasket Set
(2) 4B0-512-137-C Boot
(4) G-052-731-A2 Hydraulic Oil
(2) N-034-790-8 Screw

2. Control arms part numbers
(1) 8E0-407-506-C Front Passenger Side Upper Link
(1) 8E0-407-510-C Front Passenger Side Upper Link
(1) 4B3-407-151-D Front Passenger Side Control Arm
(1) 8E0-407-694-AG Front Passenger Side Wishbone
(1) N-034-790-8 Screw
(1) N-102-723-02 Nut

From the drive home today so far so good. Love having my beast back.
When I dropped the car off I told them not to hurry, and get it done when they could block off some time. Car was there for about 2 weeks, with half the time waiting for parts, and do control arms after the suspension was done, which included waiting a full day for an appraisal from extended warranty company.

Very happy.

DuckWingDuck
May 2nd, 2008, 02:56
I believe my car also had a control arm issue, also in the front passenger side. Glad to hear that everything got fixed and you came away relatively unscathed!

mmaturo
May 2nd, 2008, 03:48
You are correct I think.

Had upper and lower control arms, stabilizer bar and links all replaced in last 10K as each failed and was causing the clunking i've been experiencing forever it seems. Then just last month my DRC finally went. All four replaced. All is good with the world since. I had no bushing left at all on the upper control arms.

LU-RS6
May 2nd, 2008, 11:50
Nene, seems you have more luck than I do.

Got vibrations in my RS6 sometime ago, + the ride was getting stiffer and stiffer.

Took it to the dealer in Switzerland, and they replaced the complete DRC.

I picked up the car Friday afternoon right before closing time, and drove to Belgium as I was needed there for work. In the beginning all seemed well, but after some 100km it started to get a lot stiffer again.
Now the car is in Belgium, almost immobilized as I do not dare to drive any more as the ride is really really hard now. Even 1 headlight already broke off and pointed to nowhere.

Now they are trying to get to the equipment to check the pressure in the DRC. Frigging mystery going on here.
Only thing we could think of is that the dealer in Switzerland used the wrong pressure, or the wrong "manual".

Will keep you guys posted, mega-frustration here at the moment :vgrumpy:

Qisha
May 2nd, 2008, 19:15
Dear LU-RS6,

can you name the Dealer that did the repair work on your car? Was the repair work covered?

To me it sounds like the DRC is out of Oil, leading to a ride like you are describing it. Either there is still a leakage or something is causing the Oil Circulation to get leaky after moderate mileage.

Do you have the regular Sport Suspension or Sport Suspension Plus?

Qisha

LU-RS6
May 2nd, 2008, 20:42
Hi Qisha,

Thanks for yr reply.

The dealership is AMAG Ebikon in Switzerland.
I have the impression that they have the knowledge as several S/RS models are being serviced/sold there.
On the other hand I went there with my RS2 also to have something fixed (vibrations in lower revs when full throttle), which wasn't fixed either after some 800 CHF.

But I really would like to know what went wrong. Together with brake discs (front) and some other small things, the price tag was somewhat 10.000 CHF. Enough to expect the car to be properly fixed at the least.

I'll await news from the technicians in Belgium and keep you posted.
I'll pass your ideas to them,

Thanks

Aronis
May 3rd, 2008, 18:18
That's great news.
I'd rather stay stock also, my car has been ok from DRC since the repair, never like new however. I figure if it leaks again I'd get the sytem replaced but I would need a guarranteed price first! No surprises.

Keep in mind that Audi warrantee's all repairs and new parts for 12 months! So your DRC is covered for a year!

Enjoy.

Mike

JAXRS6
May 4th, 2008, 17:06
Nene, your opening post mentions Fidelity but not Pure Protection. Fidelity is the administrator for the Pure Protection plan I bought from my Audi dealer, but recently I discovered they offer their own plans too. I am considering one in Florida that would extend my coverage beyond 100K mi. So, I'm wondering -- are you speaking of Fidelity as your warranty (or service contract) provider, or are they the administrator of a Pure Protection plan provided by Audi?

DuckWingDuck
May 4th, 2008, 17:14
I think Fidelity is the ultimate provider for all these various extended warranty plans, audi care, pure protection, etc etc.

JAXRS6
May 4th, 2008, 19:26
I think Fidelity is the ultimate provider for all these various extended warranty plans, audi care, pure protection, etc etc.

Many, maybe, but not all. In my search for an extension to my Pure Protection plan, I encountered HiRoad, which refers to Interstate National Dealer Services (INDS). Dealers say neither is related to Fidelity. Same for an offer from Dealers Alliance Corp., and for an earlier warranty on my B5 S4 from Accel (now out of business I think).

nene
May 6th, 2008, 03:22
I got the Audi Pure Protection extended warranty, which is handled by Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc. It was extended 4 months prior to regular warrant, in March of 2007.

LU-RS6
May 9th, 2008, 17:44
Nene, seems you have more luck than I do.

Got vibrations in my RS6 sometime ago, + the ride was getting stiffer and stiffer.

Took it to the dealer in Switzerland, and they replaced the complete DRC.

I picked up the car Friday afternoon right before closing time, and drove to Belgium as I was needed there for work. In the beginning all seemed well, but after some 100km it started to get a lot stiffer again.
Now the car is in Belgium, almost immobilized as I do not dare to drive any more as the ride is really really hard now. Even 1 headlight already broke off and pointed to nowhere.

Now they are trying to get to the equipment to check the pressure in the DRC. Frigging mystery going on here.
Only thing we could think of is that the dealer in Switzerland used the wrong pressure, or the wrong "manual".

Will keep you guys posted, mega-frustration here at the moment :vgrumpy:

Hi Qisha,

Thanks for yr reply.

The dealership is AMAG Ebikon in Switzerland.
I have the impression that they have the knowledge as several S/RS models are being serviced/sold there.
On the other hand I went there with my RS2 also to have something fixed (vibrations in lower revs when full throttle), which wasn't fixed either after some 800 CHF.

But I really would like to know what went wrong. Together with brake discs (front) and some other small things, the price tag was somewhat 10.000 CHF. Enough to expect the car to be properly fixed at the least.

I'll await news from the technicians in Belgium and keep you posted.
I'll pass your ideas to them,

Thanks

Well, we checked the pressure and it was as it should be, around 15-15,5 bar. After all, the whole thing is new.

Problem is this means we are out of solutions and it's driving me friggin' crazy!!!