M-DKG

0-100kph: 4.6s
0-200kph 15.2s
80-120(6th): 6.3s
fuel cons.: 13.0l
lap time: 1:35.11

Leadfoot
April 30th, 2008, 17:01
M-DKG seems to be worth it's stuff, what the difference between 6th gear in the two cars, I take it that they aren't the same ratios or same speed per 1000rpm.

Also 15.2s is only 0.4s better than Autocar got for the manual, were both tested together, if so then just think how quick M-DKG could have been compared to Autocar's time, that could mean a 14.5s run to 200km/h. Right in the middle of RS6/M5 territory.

KresoF1
April 30th, 2008, 17:15
Leadie,

Yes, they tested both cars together. Acceleration wise M-DKG car is clearly faster. Manual use longer sixth gear then M-DKG(7 gears).

I have a problem with marginally faster track time of M-DKG car...

Leadfoot
April 30th, 2008, 18:55
Leadie,

Yes, they tested both cars together. Acceleration wise M-DKG car is clearly faster. Manual use longer sixth gear then M-DKG(7 gears).

I have a problem with marginally faster track time of M-DKG car...

I missed that one, yeah seems to be very small when you take into account that it's a whole second quicker to 120mph. Either the car is more different to get into a rhythm with and thus losing time under braking because it's clearly quicker on the straights or possibly the gear choosing by the driver.

What track did you use for the test?

KresoF1
April 30th, 2008, 19:44
Conti test track AFAIK.

Difference is small because manual use taller second gear that is more suited for some corners on the track then second gear of M-DKG.

On longer track difference would be bigger for sure. BMW says that difference on the Ring is "around 5s"....

Do you know what tham means? That M3 with M-DKG is as fast as R8 on the Ring. For much less money... Huh! I do not like that idea honestly...

Leadfoot
April 30th, 2008, 19:59
Conti test track AFAIK.

Difference is small because manual use taller second gear that is more suited for some corners on the track then second gear of M-DKG.

On longer track difference would be bigger for sure. BMW says that difference on the Ring is "around 5s"....

Do you know what tham means? That M3 with M-DKG is as fast as R8 on the Ring. For much less money... Huh! I do not like that idea honestly...

5 seconds sounds about right, there is 5 places where the quicker acceleration will gain you those 5 seconds which means that on the rest of the track the two will be about equal.

Come now Kerso, the R8 is more than speed, it's the whole experience and that is something that the M3 can never match, no BMW can.

KresoF1
April 30th, 2008, 20:04
I agree with you regarding R8 "whole experience" idea.

Just... Imagine a kid in new M3 with M-DKG in front of me in R8... No matter what I do he will be faster... BMW Punk...

HKS786
April 30th, 2008, 20:18
I agree with you regarding R8 "whole experience" idea.

Just... Imagine a kid in new M3 with M-DKG in front of me in R8... No matter what I do he will be faster... BMW Punk...

I know exactly what you mean. But I wouldnt let it get me down...

The R8 looks like a supercar. It has that unique body that has NEVER been seen before. It's engine compartment is amazing to look at, the M3's powerdome and intakes (1 isnt functional) doesnt compare by a long shot.

Then there's the interior. So unique and it's an Audi interior. What does the M3 have? granted 2 more seats, but an interior that looks just like the 335i, boring I might add.

We havent even started on the driving experience!