PDA

View Full Version : best suv?

gnomik007
April 29th, 2008, 18:49
hey people, I am currently choosing a car for everyday use and I think it ought to be an SUV, but obvoiusly with capability to go FAST :). I currently drive 2001 G500 and absolutely love the car, it's a man's car, however it has its obvius disadvantages - very hard ride is the main one. I went through a few dealerships here in Moscow to check out what's on offer. I really do keep G55 constantly in mind, but would prefer to buy something else. Q7 fell out of my list as soon as I sat in it. The interior is too cramped and it felt like the roof was mms of my head. Considering the size of the car, the interior is way too small. Even more, I couldn't see anything out of it. Cayenne Turbo is a good one - but only in 2008 more than 30 were stolen in the city of moscow - the most popular SUV between car thievs. I really like the new X5, but there is no M in the line-up and it seems like there will not be one - new 4.4turbo engine will take some time to make it into prodcution, and even than no one can say what the performance is going to be. Any thoughts? ML seems very good, we got ML500 in the family and it is an absolute beaute in every way - it handles and it feels quality. My friend drives 07 ML63 here and he couldn't be happier with it. However I know that a facelifted version is to come out in the very near future. Is it worth the wait? Range Rover is the one I don't know much about and haven't checked out one yet, anyone owns one maybe? I do not consider any US cars simply because they are CRAP :) they do not handle, built with very low quality and my personal expirience shows that after a year or two on Russian roads they literaly start falling apart ( nothing personal to those who are from US, we can't make cars too :hihi: only tanks ).

So if anyone can suggest anything please do, any info is much appreciated guys...

Erik
April 29th, 2008, 19:39
Isn't the X5 built in the USA? ;)
And the ML as well?
Rules them out then... :D

I would recommend the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, with a Ruf Dakara kit.

The Cayenne or the ML63 would be the only ones on my list.

gnomik007
April 29th, 2008, 20:45
Isn't the X5 built in the USA? ;)
And the ML as well?
Rules them out then... :D

I would recommend the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, with a Ruf Dakara kit.

The Cayenne or the ML63 would be the only ones on my list.

LOL :) i see what u mean, i should have clarified - not cars produced in the US, but US companies...

is there any particular reason y you rule out the X5?

Erik
April 29th, 2008, 20:59
It's a BMW made in the USA, do I need more reasons? ;)

gnomik007
April 29th, 2008, 21:43
i feel you here :)

artur777
April 29th, 2008, 22:03
gnomik007, I will advise surely ML63 facelifted.

It will be available for delivery aproximately since July-August (MY 2009).
Cayenne is a great one also, but it is also a dangerous car for its owner given the fact of permanent hi-jacks.
There is also X6 4.4 - a nice one car but you should love its syling though to buy it.
Range Rover is a no-way competitor.
So it is.

Leadfoot
April 29th, 2008, 23:18
Be different and buy a Toureg R50.

Audiphile
April 29th, 2008, 23:39
Wait a little bit - Think Q7 V12 TDI or the new Q5.

Bingocaller
April 30th, 2008, 01:32
What is the RUF Dakara kit?

If you dont plan to offroad it what about the Cayenne GTS then?

AndyBG
April 30th, 2008, 03:00
I would personally advice,

1. Cayenne turbo S (No competition for that car, really)
2. Touareg W12 (Little bit forgoten, but still very capable car)
3. Touareg R50 (Fast ''oil burner'')

... Also, there is Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, I know you said NO US cars, but that car was developed and built under Mercedes.

:cheers:

Erik
April 30th, 2008, 05:10
How could I forget the VW Touareg?

I have 2 FIA International REcords in the V10 TDI for acceleration in its class :D

f1esp
April 30th, 2008, 07:54
Be different and buy a Toureg R50.

Want to be really different?

Buy a Fornasari RR600 or wait and buy a Spyker D12 Peking-to-Paris

gnomik007
April 30th, 2008, 11:48
thx to everyone for advice :)

Q7 is out of question because of the interior and we're yet to see what Q5 will bring...

Fornasari and Spyker I am sure are awesome peices of machinery, but I wouldn't be able to cope with their looks, too original 4 me :)

Although I like the Cayenne, the high risk of it being stolen takes it of the list as well...

I think the choice 4 me is really between facelifted ML63 but have to wait/4.4 turbo X5 but also have to wait (X6 seems to be one of those when you either love it or hate it, my feeling towards most bmws in th elast 5 years, I HATE X6)and maybe a VW - I will check it out sometime this week.

How does VW handle? I wouldn't want a heavy lug of metal unable to turn - for that I got G500 :)
i heard from friends here in Moscow that in terms of handling X5 is the one to go for, anyone can support this?

AndyBG
April 30th, 2008, 16:36
AMS had a head to head test Touareg R50 vs Cayenne GTS..., take a look at the out come..., remember that R50 is a DIESEL! W12 is even faster...

R50 (350 hp, 850 Nm.) 0-100 km/h: 6.7s
W12 (450 hp, 600 Nm) 0-100 km/h:5.9s

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/tests/vergleichstest/hxcms_article_509262_13987,testwertung.hbs

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/tests/vergleichstest/hxcms_article_509262_13987.hbs

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/tests/vergleichstest/hxcms_article_509262_13987,testdaten.hbs#ank

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14319&highlight=touareg+gts

JavierNuvolari
April 30th, 2008, 21:01
Can't read german....:( and I'm to lazy to translate it...haha
That torque from the R50 is simply outrageous. Personelly I would go for the R50 as some have recomended.

AndyBG
April 30th, 2008, 22:34
Babelfish translation...

At times, in which nearly equal much cost different fuel places, one may send already times a Benziner against a Diesel into running. The speech is of Porsche Cayenne GTS and VOLKSWAGEN Touareg R50, with which one looks for the contraction TDI at the car however in vain.

Sprinter against Schwer-athlete

The Porsche developers sent the Cayenne S into the Fitness fitness-Studio and to that 385 HP of strong 4,8-Liter-V8 gasoline direct A splash 20 additional HP with 6.500 routes rained. The torque is with 500 Newtonmeters on the level of the basis engine. These values prove the GTS as Sprinter, while the 850 Nm of the zehnzylindrigen Fuenfliter TDI the Touareg R50 rather as Schwer-athlete qualify, although the output was increased of 313 to 350 HP.

Although both begin in the heavyweight, the R50 brings again full 336 kilograms more on the balance. With the Sprint both catapult themselves from the startbloecken such as Carl Lewis with its legendary 100-Meter-Weltrekord 1991 in Tokyo. As the first the Porsche pushes itself over the 100-km/h-Marke. In addition the Porsche with 251 runs km/h maximum speed faster than likewise the VOLKSWAGEN not slow with 235 km/h.

Consumption is clearly too high

The R50 possesses however more perseverance, because while the GTS be enough-strains on already for 546 kilometers for new food thirsts, the VOLKSWAGEN must load its energy depot only after 685 kilometers. That corresponds to a consumption of 14,6 litres per 100 of kilometers - Diesels mind you -, while the GTS consumes inconceivable 18.3 litres of superpluses.

Also off the driving dynamics, the Cayenne is the clearly agilere car. Its steering element is noticeably more directly translated, which improves the guidance expenditure in curves both reduced and aiming accuracy. With the Touareg however too much feedback is lost through the higher servo support. Apart from it the kurvenverhalten is just as surely and to a large extent neutral owing to permanent all-wheel drive with the R50 as with the GTS. Only when fast giving in in close turns both Kolosse push somewhat over the front wheels.

Sportyness versus leaving

Both are similarly tightened from head to foot - speak of the roof edge spoiler at the rear flap up to the 21-Zoellern with 295/35er-Sportsocken -. Together with special interior equipment and outstanding in each case sport seats the Touareg R50 costs scarcely 11,000 euro more than the conventional V10 TDI. Porsche requires 79,367 euro for the GTS with Tiptronic, approximately 10,000 more than for the Cayenne S. however is clearly more favorable the VOLKSWAGEN in the maintenance. It is not completely as sporty as the agile Cayenne GTS, possesses however that leaving, which brings high power reserves with itself.

PAGE 2

1. VW Touareg R50

491 von 650 Punkten.
The R50 offers the more balanced total package, is more comfortably, well equipped and in the maintenance clearly more favorable.

2. Porsche Cayenne GTS

464 von 650 Punkten.
The GTS shines with so far a driving dynamics not known in this class, used up however decided too much fuel.

AndyBG
May 1st, 2008, 01:54
Here are some pic's of the VW Touareg R50 and VW Touareg W12.

R50 first...

AndyBG
May 1st, 2008, 01:57
...And some of the W12...

AndyBG
May 1st, 2008, 01:59
Two more...

f1esp
May 1st, 2008, 16:36
I have 2 FIA International REcords in the V10 TDI for acceleration in its class :D

Erik
Have you talked about this before?

:incar:

christofrs4
May 3rd, 2008, 01:56
in regards to the range rover i feel that they are one of the best cars in the world, and a supercharged 4.2 v8 would be adequate. perofrmance wise there not the fastest 0-60 7 seconds and 150mph i feel that u wil not feel short changed if you go for one.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W3ggCh48Cuk

p.s any chance of pictures of ur impreza ra

christofrs4
June 9th, 2008, 14:58
hey u decided on getting another suv?

gjg
June 9th, 2008, 19:37
if you get Range Rover make sure you get another one for spare parts ...... :jlol:

gnomik007
June 9th, 2008, 23:52
I am in UK at the moment, will drive my STI from London to Moscow via 3days in paris and 3days in amsterdam with my my wife. Leaving UK on Fri but this Wed I am taking my subie to 380hp level for a more enjoyable drive through the EU and also will place an order for that 2.35 block I've been having wet dreams about the last few months. As for the SUV, after having seen all available, it's between ML and X5, but to be honest I did like X5 a bit more as it seemed to have a more sporty character to it, but will make the decision later on when return to rus.

christofrs4
June 10th, 2008, 12:48
get an x5 individual white with red interior looks absoultly stunning

xpl0sive
June 12th, 2008, 21:38
a cho v moskve 4.8is x5 net shtoli? estle net, togda kupi sebe horoshii range rover supercharded...

gnomik007
June 13th, 2008, 01:54
a cho v moskve 4.8is x5 net shtoli? estle net, togda kupi sebe horoshii range rover supercharded...

:) да, Х5 тема и я думаю брать именно ее, но только когда выйдет новый мотор 4.4Т от Х6.

xpl0sive
June 13th, 2008, 03:38
a nu togda podosdi i vosmi x5... kak tebe g wagon nravitsa? ya sebe hochy takoi vzat

Erik
June 13th, 2008, 06:51
English please...

gnomik007
June 17th, 2008, 12:20
english it is :) sry...