PDA

View Full Version : Driving report BMW 335xi – doubts!

Michal12
April 28th, 2008, 10:42
Am I the one in the world who is not sure about this engine?

Had a loaner 335xi last weekend and I think I drove it enough (>1000km) to make a judgment. Performancewise, no complaints - that thing flies. Reached 260kph (tacho) remarkably easily.
Drawbacks:
1) engine sound in low rpm is pure horror. This is to the worst aspect of the car. Sounds like a cross between a Volvo 5 cylinder and a diesel.
2) Laziness or hesitation before turbos kick in: I had an automatic which could have make it worse but there is a noticeable lag between 1000 and 2000rpm when the car feels sluggish. After 2000rpm the punch substantially increases which makes it feel like a diesel!! Well I am sure the owners already know this but how on earth this was not picked up by any journalist before? (or at least I haven’t seen it!)

Audi S5 looks like better prospect just because of its burble engine sound! Honestly, I like both BMWs and Audis, may like 335i Coupe more because of its rear wheel drive manners but simply because the crap engine sound that car is not really an option any more.

UPDATE NOTE: news surfaced today that the new RS4 might indeed be using TFSI 3.2 V6 technology which would in my opinion totally blow the RS4 and would make it just a faster BMW 335i. Audi please do not give up on non-supercharged V8s!

artur777
April 28th, 2008, 13:43
MIchal12,

I don't agree with you in 1) and agree with you in 2)
335xi is a nice one car, but S5 seems to be better all-rounder though not that handly. But S5 with S-Tronic is a car to wait for - 6MT is not that persuasive for me.

Leadfoot
April 28th, 2008, 14:30

Had a loaner 335xi last weekend and I think I drove it enough (>1000km) to make a judgment. Performancewise, no complaints - that thing flies. Reached 260kph (tacho) remarkably easily.
Drawbacks:
1) engine sound in low rpm is pure horror. This is to the worst aspect of the car. Sounds like a cross between a Volvo 5 cylinder and a diesel.
2) Laziness or hesitation before turbos kick in: I had an automatic which could have make it worse but there is a noticeable lag between 1000 and 2000rpm when the car feels sluggish. After 2000rpm the punch substantially increases which makes it feel like a diesel!! Well I am sure the owners already know this but how on earth this was not picked up by any journalist before? (or at least I haven’t seen it!)

Audi S5 looks like better prospect just because of its burble engine sound! Honestly, I like both BMWs and Audis, may like 335i Coupe more because of its rear wheel drive manners but simply because the crap engine sound that car is not really an option any more.

UPDATE NOTE: news surfaced today that the new RS4 might indeed be using TFSI 3.2 V6 technology which would in my opinion totally blow the RS4 and would make it just a faster BMW 335i. Audi please do not give up on non-supercharged V8s!

Never driven a 335iX but most of your comments centre on the engine itself.

Like artur777, I can't agree with your first comment/complaint, I found the 335i to have a pleasing note though it's not going to sound as well as either a v6 or v8. Even the N/A in-line six is too smooth of an engine for that and the turbos will kill this note even further, but it's no diesel.

The turbo lag also surprises me, I found the 335i incredible for a turbo unit. I reckon most of the problem must centred around the automatic, I found the same with my Q7 3.0TDi though found the manual 3.0TDi A5 to be very responsive, pulling cleanly from as little as 750rpm.

pampas
April 30th, 2008, 02:49

Drawbacks:

All magazines said there is almost zero turbo lag. I drove the 335i for 15 minutes and I was able to feel the lag, but nothing that bad; it's pretty good for a turbo engine. Probably goes up with the chip tuning (same as with the A4 2.0T) but so goes the power. That car is incredible when u talk about tuning it (relatively cheap), lots of hp and tq. My friend just did a 12.8seconds @ 109 mph at his first 1/4 mile-drag race last week - with just a chip. Not bad for a 50k(+2k in mods) coupe that's 4x4 and still a quality car (not a pure performance car).

Second thing: what did u hear about the B8 RS4 ?!??!?!??!?!
How reliable is your source.

Cargo8
May 8th, 2008, 05:38
i'm fairly certain the automatic amplifies the turbo lag for some reason. i can feel it, but i agree definitely no issue compared to most turbo cars.