PDA

View Full Version : What is the type of the adjustable suspension in the S5??

pampas
April 26th, 2008, 20:50
What is the type of the adjustable suspension in the S5??
I ordered it already, but I am just wondering .. I couldn't find any info on it.

Thanks guys! :revs:

Leadfoot
April 26th, 2008, 22:14
It's the same setup that can be ordered in the A4 in combination with Audi Select drive. It works well and provides decent body control without ruining the ride. :thumb:

pampas
April 26th, 2008, 22:28
ok, I know the new A4 handles pretty good, but, still, how is it called?

:)

pampas
May 5th, 2008, 05:02
Continuous control: the CDC shock absorbers
The CDC (continuous damping control) shock absorbers, similar to those that Audi already uses on the luxury Q7 SUV with air suspension, are twin-tube gas-filled hydraulic units with an additional external valve and connecting pipe. Their operation can be continuously varied: an electromagnetically energised proportional-action valve opens against the force exerted by a spring and regulates the flow of hydraulic fluid between the inner and outer shock-absorber tubes. A smaller flow cross-section makes the damping characteristic firmer, a larger one makes it softer.
Within the mode that the driver has chosen at Audi drive select, the control unit employs adaptive characteristics. It modifies its command signals to match the driving style and road conditions. Even from the ‘comfort’ mode the shock absorbers can be switched in an instant to a firm setting if required, though not to the absolute limit. They are installed in conjunction with sports suspension springs, which have the effect of lowering the body by 20 millimetres, but still provide a good standard of ride comfort – on poor roads, as good as the standard suspension. The control unit selects the optimal damping force for the actual driving situation, for instance firmer damping to prevent body roll when cornering fast or braking, lower damping force if the surface under the wheels is extremely rough or average settings on poor-surfaced country roads.

----------
answered myself ... still, can anyone tell how good/bad is this setup compared to the magnetic ride in TT/R8? I really love that dynamic suspension.