PDA

View Full Version : Porsche against TT-RS name

HKS786
April 23rd, 2008, 19:24
The Audi's development of its high-performance TT RS is fully underway, but the German automaker may have to rethink the car's name, a new report find. According to a source familiar with the situation, Porsche is taking issue with Audi using the RS nameplate as a suffix rather than a prefix.

For several decades now, Porsche has used the RS nomenclature to denote the highest-performing vehicle in a range– such as the Boxster RS 60 Spyder. Porsche feels that it should be the only company to use RS as a suffix, as to not dilute its brand image.

However, Porsche doesn't have any objections to Audi using RS as a prefix, as in the RS4 or RS6.

It seems that the internal debate is far from over, but it looks like the name RS TT has a far better chance of riding on the TT's bumper than TT RS.

Leftlanenews.

HKS786
April 23rd, 2008, 19:26
I know it's old news but I wanted to ask if anyone has any info of what the name might turn out to be? This really annoys me, why should Porsche be fussed?

I think TT-RS would be great but the next option should be TT-R. That would look good especially after the TT-S name.

ZeroCool
April 23rd, 2008, 20:25
Yeah - i heard a long time ago - that the name will be TT-R (maybe that's the reason)

But i doubt that they'll call it RS-TT because that won't fit - to TT-S ... so i think it will be TT-R

But we'll see

Mr Balsen
April 23rd, 2008, 20:38
The story regarding the RS is a long one between Porsche and Audi.

When Audi created Quattro Gmbh, the first car built by the new subsidiary in 1996 was a special Audi S6 named Audi S6 Plus. It was supposed to be called RS6 after the success of the RS2. But Porsche refused back then to give the RS to Quattro Gmbh...

Frederic

Leadfoot
April 24th, 2008, 13:47
What's in a name, along as the 'RS' spirit is there surely that is all that matters.

Remember it's going to be powered by a in-line 5 so there is a chance it might be called TT-R5.