PDA

View Full Version : EVO magazine RS6 review

artur777
April 22nd, 2008, 21:51
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/218340/audi_rs6_avant.html

Look at it - a nice one in the EVO style...
:rs6kiss:

Leadfoot
April 22nd, 2008, 22:09
I have never hear an M engine described in a similar way that this RS6 engine has, epic is a word which well describes the thing.

It bemuses me when journalists say that Quattro makes thing boring because it copes with the excessive of performance so easily.

HELLO,

Who here would want their 600hp estate/family bus to scare the hell out of them and after every journey would get out and kiss the ground. :eye:

Welcome to the real world. :doh:

Ruergard
April 22nd, 2008, 22:21
"It pulls hard from tickover, the power ramping up through 2500-3500rpm, soaring at 4500-5000 and then – scarcely believably – building still further to a dizzying climax as it closes in on the 6750rpm limiter..."

Now this seems like a booring engine to have in a estate huh? :hihi:

christofrs4
April 22nd, 2008, 23:29
i used to buy a few magazines but now i only buy evo, they simply in my opinion are the best writers and photographers out there.

BLITZEN
April 22nd, 2008, 23:34
I keep finding one commonality between most reviewers of this car and the previous RS6 too, "very fast, yet somehow, boring". I don't agree. But then I do to a point.

I agree that the appearance of an RS6 is the most tame of the super-performance luxury cars. And, the drive is the most predictable, easy to go fast, and sure-footed on wet and/or slimy roads.

On the other hand, I still manage to have a lot of fun in mine and I know you do too. It's a far cry from what I would call boring (Ford, Toyota, Lexus, and so on).

In conclusion, if you're looking for a thrill, nothing will make you crap your pants like a big-block in a 1500 pound fiberglass kit-car with no air bags, antilock, anti-slip or anything to keep you from putting it into the wall. Or, for those of us with brains that we wish to keep in our skulls, this is the ultimate family-friendly sports sedan.

artur777
April 23rd, 2008, 00:19
I have never hear an M engine described in a similar way that this RS6 engine has, epic is a word which well describes the thing.

It bemuses me when journalists say that Quattro makes thing boring because it copes with the excessive of performance so easily.

HELLO,

Who here would want their 600hp estate/family bus to scare the hell out of them and after every journey would get out and kiss the ground. :eye:

Welcome to the real world. :doh:

Leadie, a nice one post!:thumb:

Aronis
April 23rd, 2008, 01:12
they were not particularly kind to the "Older RS6" and hey, I don't have 911 or a Ferrari in the garage...LOL..

Mike

LU-RS6
April 23rd, 2008, 02:45
I keep finding one commonality between most reviewers of this car and the previous RS6 too, "very fast, yet somehow, boring". I don't agree. But then I do to a point.

I agree that the appearance of an RS6 is the most tame of the super-performance luxury cars. And, the drive is the most predictable, easy to go fast, and sure-footed on wet and/or slimy roads.

On the other hand, I still manage to have a lot of fun in mine and I know you do too. It's a far cry from what I would call boring (Ford, Toyota, Lexus, and so on).

In conclusion, if you're looking for a thrill, nothing will make you crap your pants like a big-block in a 1500 pound fiberglass kit-car with no air bags, antilock, anti-slip or anything to keep you from putting it into the wall. Or, for those of us with brains that we wish to keep in our skulls, this is the ultimate family-friendly sports sedan.

I was lucky enough to have a go in an S6 5.2 V10 (avant), and I must say, comparing it to the old RS6 you don't a feel a single thing when cruising, you have the feeling that anything is possible, the car isn't talking that much to you. Maybe in electronics yeah, but not "feeling the engine and the road".

I know that the new RS6 is quite more powerful than the S6 5.2, but still, the latter isn't particularly slow or anything :harass:

DuckWingDuck
April 23rd, 2008, 03:04
LU - I know exactly what you mean, it was the same thing when I drove Richard's S6, to take nothing away from the S6 which is an amazing car but there is a reason why people call the RS6 a beast. Where as the S6 is a great GT, the RS6 seems to always be right on the edge.

Audiphile
April 23rd, 2008, 03:26
Agreed with DuckWingDuck. We had a chance to test each other's beasts, and the comparison between the S6 and the RS6 (previous generation) would best be summed up as the kid that went to Harvard (S6), and the kid that went on the road to be in rock band (the previous RS6). The S6 is a gentleman's sports sedan with a dark side, while the RS6 is more the pub/bar drinking kind. And this is a good thing by the way! I prefer my S6, and I am not taking anything away from the RS6 (it is an amazing machine), but too much work for me to drive daily. I like the laziness of my S6 when I'm not in the driving mood, and the sheer force of my S6 when I want to go fast and experience some g-force. Yet it stays refined no matter the speed. Remember Audi's demographics....

DuckWingDuck
April 23rd, 2008, 03:37
haha, perfectly put Richard!

LU-RS6
April 23rd, 2008, 07:43
Agreed with DuckWingDuck. We had a chance to test each other's beasts, and the comparison between the S6 and the RS6 (previous generation) would best be summed up as the kid that went to Harvard (S6), and the kid that went on the road to be in rock band (the previous RS6). The S6 is a gentleman's sports sedan with a dark side, while the RS6 is more the pub/bar drinking kind. And this is a good thing by the way! I prefer my S6, and I am not taking anything away from the RS6 (it is an amazing machine), but too much work for me to drive daily. I like the laziness of my S6 when I'm not in the driving mood, and the sheer force of my S6 when I want to go fast and experience some g-force. Yet it stays refined no matter the speed. Remember Audi's demographics....

Nicely said. At first I wasn't really to fond of the S6, but I started to love the stylishness and sleakness of that car. And after driving it I can imagine it is the perfect cruiser.
And it's not that the car is slow or anything :hihi:

cornishmoocher
April 23rd, 2008, 19:41
Just reading this with interest (as always), and the comparison between S/RS and C5/C6 and wanted to say that last night i had the misfortune to have a ride in a b5 RS4 avant, with over 420hp at the WHEELS!! ad on the rule of thumb 25% for brake hp and what you have is an B5 RS4 that goes from 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds and 0-100 in under 8 seconds. I have never been so terrified in my life. the thing was an animal. Thruogh every gear, the entre rev range it was lighting up the TC (when it was on), It had been tweeked to hell and back, but compared to my RS6 that really was the drunken lout fighting in the bar, compared to grandad in his potting shed.
NOw I know what fast really is.
For those of you on other RS forums, the car belongs to Jeff W. If he offers you a go, take it, it is an experience!

Audiphile
April 23rd, 2008, 20:02
Just reading this with interest (as always), and the comparison between S/RS and C5/C6 and wanted to say that last night i had the misfortune to have a ride in a b5 RS4 avant, with over 420hp at the WHEELS!! ad on the rule of thumb 25% for brake hp and what you have is an B5 RS4 that goes from 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds and 0-100 in under 8 seconds. I have never been so terrified in my life. the thing was an animal. Thruogh every gear, the entre rev range it was lighting up the TC (when it was on), It had been tweeked to hell and back, but compared to my RS6 that really was the drunken lout fighting in the bar, compared to grandad in his potting shed.
NOw I know what fast really is.
For those of you on other RS forums, the car belongs to Jeff W. If he offers you a go, take it, it is an experience!

That is exactly what the RS is supposed to be! Excellent post by the way. The RS is muscle, pure muscle, is the description I would say. I felt it in Greg's RS6. The S-Series is for those of us who want high performance, but still where Polos at the country club. We don't want our cocktails shaken too much while driving.

Audiphile
April 23rd, 2008, 20:04
Nicely said. At first I wasn't really to fond of the S6, but I started to love the stylishness and sleakness of that car. And after driving it I can imagine it is the perfect cruiser.
And it's not that the car is slow or anything :hihi:

Add some 20" OEM Audi rims similar to the 5-Wing S8 and then the S6 takes on a very sleak and menancing look.

DuckWingDuck
April 24th, 2008, 02:30
In reading the evo review again, I found this particular phrase stuck with me... Surprised that nobody else has mentioned it...

It is a markedly better car than the old twin-turbo V8 RS6, which would deliver huge splurges of torque with little precision and offer lots of grip but display little finesse, its chassis simply steamrollering a road rather than moving lightly above it.

For me, that's part of the reason why I like the RS6, its in-your-faceness.. Wasn't the complaint with the Acura NSX that it was too light and that you didn't feel engaged in the actual driving?

cornishmoocher
April 24th, 2008, 04:12
In reading the evo review again, I found this particular phrase stuck with me... Surprised that nobody else has mentioned it...

For me, that's part of the reason why I like the RS6, its in-your-faceness.. Wasn't the complaint with the Acura NSX that it was too light and that you didn't feel engaged in the actual driving?
I have to say that I am inclined to agree with you duck (again!!:D ) but not having driven the new 6 who can tell??
Does this really mean that unless you drive the new one balls out it has a real possibility of being boring? It has been said before.... but as Leadie said how scary do you want it?? i would not want to drive the B5 RS4 mentioned above every day, it really was just too much ( i cant believe i am saying this), I felt like i feel in my 6 driving at 170 but only doing 50, one wrong move and chomp, you are eaten alive.
No doubt the new one is more refined, but 6 years of development have gone into it, to improve it (in the eyes of who??), but reviews keep saying the same thing, that they will not miss the car when they get out of it, i miss my car, and am constantly looking for an excuse to drive it!

r1nga
April 25th, 2008, 12:27
Have just been invited to the launch Test Drive evening at local dealer here in the UK - Thursday 8th May. So will be able to say just how it feels compared to my RS6+ on Friday 9th May....

Thinking about what roads to take already!

Phil G