PDA

View Full Version : New beast: First impressions and a few questions

woobanger
April 20th, 2008, 20:23
I picked up a 2008 Ibis White with the White Styling Paket last week (a.k.a. White Edition). I've been following the break-in tips from the forum and I'm currently at just over 1000km and now starting to push up to 7000rpm. Hopefully I should be through with the process in the next couple of weeks.

There's a thread on the White Edition on the forum, but just to recap, it includes the following:

-Ibis White exterior and interior trim
-Titanium package (rims, mirrors, exhaust)
-White optics (window trim is black)
-suede steering wheel/shifter/side brake
-RS bucket seats in black leather, white shells, and white stitching
-RS4 floor mats with white piping
-280km/h speed limiter

First impressions:

-the suede (or is it alcantara??) really is something. It really makes every moment in the car feel special
-the exhaust note is a joy, especially in S mode. I'm sure the Milteks are even better, but I think I'll stick with the stock
-ride is better than expected, and the 40/60 split Quattro does feel much more neutral than the traditional Quattro setup (my previous car was a C5 S6)
-the interior does seem somewhat dated (which it is considering it's essentially a carry over from the B6 days), but the steering wheel and buckets really liven things up inside. One disappointment was that the headliner wasn't finished in alcantara.
-the Titanium finish really compliments the white, and makes the rims and tips look clean when they aren't

A few questions:

-I got the low engine oil warning light almost exactly at 1000km. I've read that this engine consumes a fair bit of oil during break-in, but I was surprised that it was so much so fast. I topped up a full litre. Is this pretty comparable to everyone's oil consumption? Also, are there any issues with topping up with a different oil? I used 5w-50 synthetic.
-I was quite annoyed that the RNS-E didn't have the Bluetooth module build in. I searched and it seems that the Bluetooth gets deleted for those with the RS steering wheel. Is this a fact, and how much would it cost to retrofit it?
-The beast came with P-Zero rubber, but I've seen some (including the one in the showroom) with Pilot Sports and Contis. Is is a random selection or is there some science behind the choice of rubber? Also, I just realised that there's no spare in the trunk.
-I live in the UAE and they require new cars to have a built-in speed warning tone (similar to the seat belt warning) from the factory at 120km/h. This is separate to the 2 warnings that you can program. Would there be a way to eliminate this using VAG-COM?

Tony Lam
April 21st, 2008, 01:49
u are a lucky man for sure!!!!!:dig::thumb: any pictures??

simon78
April 21st, 2008, 03:25
could you please take some pics of the steering wheel, shift knob and the brake.

I want to see the sueade version of it... hope i can order for me..

Sounds like a great car!

The RS6
April 21st, 2008, 09:06
Pics! Pics! Pics!

woobanger
April 21st, 2008, 13:46
Thanks. A friend has agreed to take some pics this weekend, so I'll post them soon.

MrBucket
April 21st, 2008, 19:54
could you please take some pics of the steering wheel, shift knob and the brake.

I want to see the sueade version of it... hope i can order for me..

Sounds like a great car!
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/mrbucket777/DSC00285-vi.jpg

christofrs4
April 21st, 2008, 23:24
i want one of those steering wheels for a b5 rs4 any ideas where i can get one and how much ?

PetrolDave
April 22nd, 2008, 10:38
i want one of those steering wheels
Some B7 RS4 owners have reported that the suede steering wheels and gear knobs go shiny and slippery very quickly (I've seen as little as 1000 miles posted).

ZeroCool
April 22nd, 2008, 10:43
@christofrs4....

The RS4 B5 also had a steering wheel like this...(i hope you mean the leather)
so it would be the easiest way to go to your dealer and order one ;)

jasaretta
April 22nd, 2008, 14:02
So now that everyone has spoken about your car let's try and answer your questions...;)

-I got the low engine oil warning light almost exactly at 1000km. I've read that this engine consumes a fair bit of oil during break-in, but I was surprised that it was so much so fast. I topped up a full litre. Is this pretty comparable to everyone's oil consumption? - YEP pretty much the same as me. 24,000kms later I still kepp a litre in the boot.

Also, are there any issues with topping up with a different oil? I used 5w-50 synthetic. - No idea - i always use AUDI oil

-I was quite annoyed that the RNS-E didn't have the Bluetooth module build in. I searched and it seems that the Bluetooth gets deleted for those with the RS steering wheel. Is this a fact, and how much would it cost to retrofit it? - This is a fact - no idea if you can retrofit it.

-The beast came with P-Zero rubber, but I've seen some (including the one in the showroom) with Pilot Sports and Contis. Is is a random selection or is there some science behind the choice of rubber? Also, I just realised that there's no spare in the trunk. No spare. Just a pump and can to fill the flat tyre. My understanding is that te allocation of tyres is random. I have Pzeros....cars that came after mine had contis.

-I live in the UAE and they require new cars to have a built-in speed warning tone (similar to the seat belt warning) from the factory at 120km/h. This is separate to the 2 warnings that you can program. Would there be a way to eliminate this using VAG-COM? - No idea - sorry ;)

Hope this helps.

James

woobanger
April 22nd, 2008, 20:26
Many thanks for the answers.
The bluetooth is a real bummer as the sat nav is useless as well. It came with a Europe map DVD and the dealer is telling me that a middle east DVD would cost AED 10,000 or roughly USD 2,500!!!!

So effectively the only things going for me are the cool display and the SD cards.....oh well, it was money well spent.

Carl Lassiter
April 22nd, 2008, 20:51
High revving NA engines love oil, especially fairly big capacity V8s and V10s. Totally normal (if a bit annoying), just check that's the right stuff. Mine uses 10W-60.

Speed limiter chime should be resettable on trip computer or sat nav unit.