PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear article on the labradortransporter

Michaël Barbé
April 18th, 2008, 17:03
hope it's not a repost!

What is it?

Just how fast do you want your family Labrador to go? The answer it would seem, if you're Audi, is 200mph. That's the top speed of the German firm's new RS6 quattro Avant - or it would be without its top speed limiter in place. As it is, the RS6 is restricted to a 'mere' 155mph or, if your pockets are a little deeper, 175mph.
Those figures, along with the headline-grabbing 572bhp power output from the 5.0-litre, twin-turbo V10 engine, just underline the sheer craziness of the new RS6. In fact, the Top Trump-winning bullet-points come thick and fast before you've even turned a wheel - it's the most powerful estate car in the world, the most powerful Audi ever built and boasts an eye-watering £77,625 price tag.

That's a healthy premium over the previous RS6 which went out of production in 2005 (to make way for the RS4), but Audi says that price isn't a primary concern for its customers. Arrogant though that may seem, certainly the RS6's forward order list seems to support that argument - despite no customers having yet sat behind the wheel, if you ordered one today you'll be hanging your 2009 calendar on the wall before seeing an RS6 outside your house.
Even so, that's still a more substantial dent out of your bank balance than both the £67,725 BMW M5 Touring or the £69,097 Mercedes E63AMG Estate. The reality is that the RS6 is just as much a rival for these estates as the likes of the Porsche Cayenne Turbo and BMW X5 4.8. That's some talented competition and to succeed, the big Audi will not only need to drive and handle well, but also justify that price and its potential as an everyday supercar. All-rounders don't much better than this but at least the RS6 has an estate body rather that of a huge, public vitriol-inducing 4x4. A saloon version will join the range at the end of 2008, but 70 per cent of RS6 sales are expected to be the Avant.

Michaël Barbé
:rs6kiss:

xpl0sive
April 18th, 2008, 22:24
difference between the rs6 and the m5 or the e63 is that audi's got turbo's. and with turbo's comes chipping and simple bolt ons. and with that comes a 700hp avant. good luck keeping up to that in the e63. oh and quattro kind of blows the others out of the park.

Carl Lassiter
April 18th, 2008, 22:38
difference between the rs6 and the m5 or the e63 is that audi's got turbo's. and with turbo's comes chipping and simple bolt ons. and with that comes a 700hp avant. good luck keeping up to that in the e63. oh and quattro kind of blows the others out of the park.

1. Chipping- boom goes your warranty if not your drivetrain.

2. Try a freeway encounter against an M5 and say that with such sureity. Now on tight, wet English B-roads I would agree with you but for that I'd take the better balanced RS4, not its big brother.

xpl0sive
April 18th, 2008, 23:06
the whole point of getting an rs6 is so that you have a wagon family car. i would agree with you that i would take an rs4 for tight corner handling and driving pleasure, but you can not compare an rs4 to an m5, which is what the whole thing is about... and i've owned multiple chipped b5 s4's back when they still had warranty and never got turned down... but i guess it depends where you live and how you drive your car.
and also, handling isnt what i was mostly referring to with quattro, but the ability to use the car in any weather. i wouldnt be half as confident in an m5 or a e63 on a really wet road or even worse, snow. I know they dont have snow in england so they dont have to worry, but here in canada, it snows at least for a month straight in the winter and i wouldnt want my $120,000 car sitting in my garage simply because i wouldnt be able to make it out of my own driveway

gjg
April 19th, 2008, 13:24
2. Try a freeway encounter against an M5 and say that with such sureity. Now on tight, wet English B-roads I would agree with you but for that I'd take the better balanced RS4, not its big brother.

Carl, I'd disagree on the "freeway" encounter - perhaps in LA, where your cojones shrink with the sight of B&W toll collectors, but on autobahn you'd be surprised .... :incar:

bdtd :cheers:

DuckWingDuck
April 19th, 2008, 17:55
i've not played with the new m5 but the old one, even stock the rs6 would take it easily.

Carl Lassiter
April 19th, 2008, 18:38
the whole point of getting an rs6 is so that you have a wagon family car. i would agree with you that i would take an rs4 for tight corner handling and driving pleasure, but you can not compare an rs4 to an m5, which is what the whole thing is about... and i've owned multiple chipped b5 s4's back when they still had warranty and never got turned down... but i guess it depends where you live and how you drive your car.
and also, handling isnt what i was mostly referring to with quattro, but the ability to use the car in any weather. i wouldnt be half as confident in an m5 or a e63 on a really wet road or even worse, snow. I know they dont have snow in england so they dont have to worry, but here in canada, it snows at least for a month straight in the winter and i wouldnt want my $120,000 car sitting in my garage simply because i wouldnt be able to make it out of my own driveway

Good points and I understand you. It does snow in England though not like what you get in canada. In East coast/Canadian/north European weather I would (and have been in the past) tempted by quattro.

Carl Lassiter
April 19th, 2008, 18:41
Carl, I'd disagree on the "freeway" encounter - perhaps in LA, where your cojones shrink with the sight of B&W toll collectors, but on autobahn you'd be surprised .... :incar:

bdtd :cheers:

Really? 7-speed SMG, RWD, less weight, 507 naturally aspirated ponies. Maybe with a missed shift or three.

By the way, confused by "B&W toll collectors.":vhmmm:
:)

Carl Lassiter
April 19th, 2008, 18:43
i've not played with the new m5 but the old one, even stock the rs6 would take it easily.

DWD, you know I'm not a fanboy but the E60 M5's fwy/autobahn prowess is renowned. (I also thought the E39 and gen1 RS6 were fairly close in this regard though that is not my argument.) Now from light to light or in the wet of course the RS6 is a hard thing to match and I think it's a great car.

DuckWingDuck
April 19th, 2008, 20:54
my rs6 takes e39 m5 easily. E60 m5, I am fairly certain will beat me, but it's two generations newer, it should. Not taking anything away from your car, it's a nice car no doubt.

gjg
April 20th, 2008, 17:21
By the way, confused by "B&W toll collectors.":vhmmm:

Black & White or what ever color combo the CA finest (CHP) would have?

gjg
April 20th, 2008, 17:29
Really? 7-speed SMG, RWD, less weight, 507 naturally aspirated ponies. Maybe with a missed shift or three.

MTM helps a bit... and this is not stop and go

Audiphile
April 20th, 2008, 19:19
DWD, you know I'm not a fanboy but the E60 M5's fwy/autobahn prowess is renowned. (I also thought the E39 and gen1 RS6 were fairly close in this regard though that is not my argument.) Now from light to light or in the wet of course the RS6 is a hard thing to match and I think it's a great car.

It will not touch the new RS6 is straightline speed...and with Quattro on tap, I doubt around any corner.