PDA

View Full Version : This has probably been asked a thousand times... MPG

THellURider
April 17th, 2008, 18:20
What kind of mileage does an S4 get at say 80 mph?

I'm looking at importing a B5 S4 into Austria from the US. Since most of my driving will be Autobahn, what can I expect?

Thanks.

victor2vt
April 17th, 2008, 19:53
If you're going to all that bother/expense to get that car.................does it really matter ???

THellURider
April 17th, 2008, 20:14
If you're going to all that bother/expense to get that car.................does it really matter ???

Yes. :vhmmm:

Benman
April 18th, 2008, 00:19
THellURider,

First, welcome to the forum. Second, like yourself, I feel it does matter. Better mpg means less stops.

My B5 S4 had GIAC chip and returned slightly better mpg than before. On the freeway I would get 30mpg at 65mph, 28mpg at 75mph, and 25mpg at 80mph. However, at agressive speeds, fuel economy quickly plummets. It will never, however, be as poor as a MkI RS 6. At track days, I would see @ 9-11mpg vs the RS 6 owners stating 6-8mpg (and when I used to track my Beast, 6-8mpg at a track day is about right).

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

THellURider
April 18th, 2008, 01:43
THellURider,

First, welcome to the forum. Second, like yourself, I feel it does matter. Better mpg means less stops.

My B5 S4 had GIAC chip and returned slightly better mpg than before. On the freeway I would get 30mpg at 65mph, 28mpg at 75mph, and 25mpg at 80mph. However, at agressive speeds, fuel economy quickly plummets. It will never, however, be as poor as a MkI RS 6. At track days, I would see @ 9-11mpg vs the RS 6 owners stating 6-8mpg (and when I used to track my Beast, 6-8mpg at a track day is about right).

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Ben,

Thanks. I'm going to be living 20 minutes from the unregulated autobahn so the "legs" of the vehicle I pick up matters a lot to me. Ideally, I'd get a 335XD Touring if they existed. I can probably deal with 25 mpg at 80... even at Euro gas prices. I won't have to drive on weekdays.

Marcus

Skaala
April 18th, 2008, 12:58
It isn't MPG that is the most important, but SPM (Smiles Per Miles)

christofrs4
April 18th, 2008, 17:13
i like your thinking skaala

Benman
April 18th, 2008, 17:26
I can probably deal with 25 mpg at 80...

Marcus

Marcus,

Kepp in mind, anything over 80mph @130kph) will rapidly increase fuel consumption. For @150kph, figure 15-17mpg and for @200kph, figure 9-11mpg. :cheers:

As gjg says, with the RS 6, at autobahn speeds, he can empty a full tank in ONE hour. Food for thought. :D :cheers:

THellURider
April 18th, 2008, 17:40
It isn't MPG that is the most important, but SPM (Smiles Per Miles)

Ya but those SPM can be expensive, no fun if you can't afford them. Ya?

Ben,

NOTED!! lol I won't get an RS6!

I'm considering some options. A B4 RS4 Avant! It's sweet! Or a B5 S4. Also, I may just import a WRX STi...

Thanks guys.

Benman
April 18th, 2008, 17:52
Marcus, I'll say this, there are times I really regret selling my S4. It was a dream to drive and handled very well. With the GIAC chip, power and torque were the equal to the new Evos and STIs running around. It also was the equal on the track to any stock RS 6 (I had several mods :D). Yes, it was a couple hundred pounds heavier than those cars (Evo & STI), but it also rode much nicer. And the funny thing is, despite being a 6 cylinder vs 4 pot, it gets the same fuel economy as the Japanese cars.

I'd highly recommend the B5 S4 over the Evos and STIs any day. It also draws less attention from police. Always a good thing.:cheers:

A S4 vs RS 4 is tough choice. But again, you can get a B5 S4 for so cheap, and then proceed to mod it. In the end, an RS 4 would be best, but it is more money up front. Either way, you can not lose. :cheers:

THellURider
April 18th, 2008, 18:05
Marcus,
Yes, it was a couple hundred pounds heavier than those cars (Evo & STI), but it also rode much nicer. And the funny thing is, despite being a 6 cylinder vs 4 pot, it gets the same fuel economy as the Japanese cars.

I'd highly recommend the B5 S4 over the Evos and STIs any day. It also draws less attention from police. Always a good thing.:cheers:

The thought on the STi is I can buy it here in the states for very little, and can almost count on at least selling it for what I paid, in Austria in 2 years.

I'd prefer the B6/B5 S4 though, but we'll see what I decided to do there. I think I could find an Avant if I look hard enough.