PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Oil Fax/Car Hangtag for US Cars

jconley
July 7th, 2003, 18:11
The following hangtag will be placed in all US delivered RS6s:

RS6 Oil Hangtag (http://www.coadvantage.com/jordan/HangTag.pdf)

And a fax sent to all the dealers about it:

RS6 Oil Fax (http://www.coadvantage.com/jordan/oilfax.pdf)

jconley
July 7th, 2003, 18:20
Oh ya, FYI- I just called my local VW and Audi Dealers, and this oil is on back order! :)

Rally
July 7th, 2003, 18:27
It's probably $60 bucks a quart like the Shell Helix oil specified for the Ferrari Enzo.

rsjoe
July 7th, 2003, 19:21
Like the Crocodile Hunter says - DANGER, DANGER, DANGER!!!!!
I already went through a 6 mos nightmare with a BMW 745i and I have no intention of repeating that experience. My car has been sitting on a dock since 6/11 (black on black) and emotionally I was justifying this purchase on the basis that it would be a "fun" car to drive. The fact that it's a one year production only and a body style that will soon be changing, Audi's already dubious reputation for reliability and this rediculous oil issue, plus there are still unsold slots around and the car is simply overpriced relative to the competition is enough to change my mind. I'm sure its a great car in the rain and I wish you all good luck with your experiences, especially maintaining your oil levels. I'm just going to have to suffer with my "cheaper" E55. It doesn't have a spare, but I'd rather have an inflate-a-kit than a quart of exotic oil sitting in my trunk which even the Dealer can't replace.

Bauer
July 7th, 2003, 20:23
Its OIL!!!!!! How special can it be????? sounds like a ploy to get an extra 40$ a quart out of us. You would think that AOA would have been a little better prepared for this car given the fact that they have had sooooooo long a time period before the car even hit our shores. As far as the price of the car is concerned from what I have found out it appears that not only are we over paying for the car but so did the dealerships. I was told buy two different dealers that they had to pay $60,000 to AOA just to get on the list for the car. Then when it came to picking how many cars the dealers were going to get they would use the demographics of the area so some dealers got very few cars. AOA appears to have screwed everybody on this one.

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4 modified
03 RS6 ordered

Benman
July 7th, 2003, 20:37
it is true that AOA is screwing us and not AUDI. when i was at the Neckarsulm plant i could not change my vehicle specs even there where they MAKE the car!!! their answer was that AOA would not allow it, i was THEIR(AOA) customer and not quattro's!!

but no matter what AOA does, this car WILL be mine!!!:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Snow
July 7th, 2003, 23:01
I can understand your irritation. The price tag on the RS 6 (for U.S. customers) is in my eyes pretty hefty, and therefore it seem ridiculous that they want a extra charge for very little oil. Doesn't AOA understand how special a buyer of the RS 6 is? About thousand cars in a country with over 250 million inhabitants is special.

And a special greeting to Benman who probably is one of the most eager RS 6 buyers. You've kept your enthusiasm throughout the whole time (you registred pretty early here didn't you?), no matter which setbacks you hear of/get. True AUDI-spirit! :cheers:

To you other RS 6 buyers, I hope your wait isn't to agonizing!

:addict:

peterb
July 8th, 2003, 13:55
My owner's manual (UK) specifies that 505.01 should be used, but that 503.01 can be used only if 505.01 is not available. Interestingly, all 503.01 oils are SAE 0W-30 rating.

505.01 is widely available in Europe because it is the standard spec oil for current (Pumpe-Duese) VAG diesel engines. 505.01 oils are available from Castrol, Total, Millers, Mobil, Shell, Fuchs and Valvoline. The Castrol, Millers and Valvoline are semi-synth products, the others are all full-synth.

Benman
July 8th, 2003, 15:24
Hello Snow,

i didn't register till December but i've been viewing the forum since October (didn't register earlier cause i didn't know if i had anything worth contributing).

i realize that some people might complain about the different things that AOA is doing and that is fine. after all, everyone is entitled to their opinion. but for me i keep in mind that all good things can have a negative aspect. as long as the car is not the problem (and its NOT!) and the dealer is cool (mine is very nice) those are the main things for me. just think how when people step up for exotics, how long THEY have to wait for their vehicles and they're ponying up WAY more money than myself. so while i can understand peoples fustration, at the same time, just cause you spend alot of money doesn't mean you will get awesome service (unless you buy a Lexus!). i know, i know that is crap. the way it should be is the more you spend the better the service. but sometimes it just doesn't work out like that. my point is that it's not the RS 6s fault and it's not quattro's fault. i just don't really care for AOA. but oh well... :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Bauer
July 8th, 2003, 16:34
I know that it not Audi AG's, Quattro Gmbg's or the RS6's fault and I am definatly taking my RS6 as it is an awsome car in every respect in my mind. I know that the are other cars out there that are faster(mostlt in a straight line) and cheaper (just a few though) but for me the RS6 is the car. It is just a little frustrating dealing with AOA which I have had to in the past. Recently though I have developed a fairly good relationship with my reigonal factory rep which has helped(I recommed it) and my dealer is fairly responsive. But some of the people I have dealt with in the past at other dealerships and AOA have really left a bad taste in my mouth. This is from a guy that has bought no other make of car...so you know I love the cars just not who has represented them(in most cases but not all cases). I hope AOA takes a serious look at how they treat their customers because without them they won't sell cars and I can't believe that they havent figured that out. A friend of mind pointed out that when you call AOA that you get a customer advocate........????? so you need to have someone on your side when dealing with AOA...its that bad huh? anyway I just love cars I hope AOA gets a clue:confused:

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 ordered

eph94
July 8th, 2003, 18:50
Originally posted by rsjoe
...a quart of exotic oil sitting in my trunk which even the Dealer can't replace.

Isn't "Volkswagon Oil Standard 505 01" just their nomenclature for our synthetic SAE GRADE 5W-40?? Or did I read the hang tag incorrectly? I think synthetic 5W-40 is what I put in my 540, and we should never ever mix different oil viscosities anyway.

peterb
July 8th, 2003, 20:34
Originally posted by JJV-MA
Isn't "Volkswagon Oil Standard 505 01" just their nomenclature for our synthetic SAE GRADE 5W-40??
NO! Definitely not. There are some semi-synths that are approved to 505.01, and there are som full-synth 5W-40 oils which don't meet 505.01. Then there are some oils which meet both 500.00 and 505.01 and other oils which meet 500.00 but not 505.01.

eph94
July 8th, 2003, 21:57
Originally posted by peterb
NO! Definitely not. There are some semi-synths that are approved to 505.01, and there are som full-synth 5W-40 oils which don't meet 505.01. Then there are some oils which meet both 500.00 and 505.01 and other oils which meet 500.00 but not 505.01.

Does Volkswagon supply a list of approved oils?

Quick question for current RS6 owners, does the RS6 guzzle oil like the M5? Or is this kind of a non-issue? In the grander scheme of things, it really doesn't seem too problematic for me to need to buy special oil. Heck, the Honda Civic Hybrid requires special, more expensive, oil.

peterb
July 8th, 2003, 23:00
I presume so. I have a list which was published in 'Audi Driver' magazine last August.

Quick question for current RS6 owners, does the RS6 guzzle oil like the M5?
I've only done around 1000 miles so far, but I checked the oil level today and it's still up at maximum.

peterb
July 8th, 2003, 23:01
I presume so. I have a list which was published in 'Audi Driver' magazine last August.

I've only done around 1000 miles so far, but I checked the oil level today and it's still up at maximum.

Benman
July 9th, 2003, 02:12
Bauer,

i share both your concerns and feelings towards AOA. it is actually quite dissapointing their customer service. they should seriously consider sending employees in stealth mode to some Lexus dealers to see how the sales reps and service department treats THEIR customers.:cheers:

Ben

gjg
July 9th, 2003, 04:47
Benmam, I share the feeling - we owned several Audis over last 15 years and AOA customer (we don't) care always sucked - and that is, IMHO, uderstatement. Fuel line recal denial on UrS cars could be a prime example............:vvangry:

Fortunately there are some good dealers who care about the business...

gjg
July 9th, 2003, 04:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B]I presume so. I have a list which was published in 'Audi Driver' magazine last August.[/B]

====================

Peter, can you share that list please?

gg

peterb
July 9th, 2003, 10:41
Originally posted by gjg
Peter, can you share that list please?
Ha! Just tried to attach it to this message as a TIFF file, but the board insists that it will only accept .jpg attachments. The image, as a .jpg is too big. I'll try reducing the resolution and see whether it's still readable. Failing that. I'll have a go at OCR'ing it.

peterb
July 9th, 2003, 13:14
Bother - I've gone through the exercise of OCRing it to get it into a plain text file but, because it is a tabular presentation, the layout is completely lost when pasting it into this window. The vB Code mode doesn't help and I don't seem to be able to just insert a PRE tag.

I guess that the only solution is for people that want this info to email me. I can provide it as a TIFF file or a plain text file.

Erik
July 9th, 2003, 13:47
peter, e-mail it to erikb@rs6.com and I'll make it available.

Erik
July 10th, 2003, 14:18
Thanks peter.

You can find the file here:

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/Audi_Oil.tif

TheBrit
July 11th, 2003, 14:52
Not in my experience. My first scheduled service was at 8900 miles, and I hadn't had to crack open the bottle of topping-up oil I was supplied with the car. It was still well within the top end of the high/low marks on the dipstick. I now have over 15k on the clock, and I still have not needed to top up. However, I did follow a break-in procedure where I didn't go above 4000 rpm until I had over 1000 miles on the clock, and I never let the revs get over the 3300 mark (half way to red line) before the oil has warmed up, so I may well have bedded the seals and gaskets in properly.

Speaking of oil and heat, I know the US-spec RS 6 has some changes to oil cooling over the Euro versions. I guess that regardless of where the car will be used, it could be used in some of the hotter states, so every car brought into the US will have to have sufficient cooling to take that possibility into account. It is this extra thermal strain on the oil that might make the difference between being able to use a small amount of 503.01 on Euro-spec cars, and not on US-spec cars.

Chris

Snow
July 11th, 2003, 16:11
This came to my mind as I've read a lot of post with confusing do's and don'ts.

As you guys took delivery of your cars, how detailed was the introduction of the car? Did they go through the oil issue and other motor issues (if there are any)? And what about break in-period, interior and exterior treatment? Did you get info on cleaning-polish and so on?

And if not, didn't you want it or did you just forget to ask? If I bought an RS 6 I know I would have wanted to know EVERYTHING about how to treat my diamond right.

See ya...

TheBrit
July 11th, 2003, 18:54
Originally posted by Snow
As you guys took delivery of your cars, how detailed was the introduction of the car?
Sales exec: "Well, that's the paperwork done. Here's your keys, I know you'll be desperate to get off for a drive..."

Me: "Great, thanks! [grabs keys] See you later, suckers! [runs out]"

If I'd wanted to be shown each and every control on the car and spend hours asking questions, I could have done. Seeing as I've driven lots of different Audis (I can think of about 30 off the top of my head), neither he nor I thought it would do anything other than delay me getting out and having some fun.

Snow
July 12th, 2003, 13:44
:D

Ha ha, yeah I guess that would be an alternative too... And if you get into trouble you've always got the users manual. I think it's a brain vs. hart-fight. Brain says: "waaaiiit...". Hart says:"Go you idiot!"

:hihi: