PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Air Induction?????? Help please..

Fonzie Audi
April 9th, 2008, 00:26
My current C.E.L. is talking about my Secondary Air Induction.

Can anyone please shed some light on this..? Any info will be very helpful:looking:

nene
April 9th, 2008, 02:05
The RS6 has a secondary injection pump that induces Oxygen from the atmosphere into your exhaust pipes during startup, in order for it to allow to pass emissions.
During normal cold startup the car runs a bit on the rich side. So the job of the secondary injection pump is to mix more air into the exhaust in order to help pass emissions.

When you first start your car, you can hear it for about a minute or so. As the car gets older, this sound gets a bit louder, and as this part is about to go into Audi parts heaven, it gets somewhat annoyingly loud.

Easy fix for any qualified RS6 mechanic.

Fonzie Audi
April 10th, 2008, 00:46
i couldn't have asked for a better response. thank you for taking your time to help me

RS6-4dr911
April 10th, 2008, 03:18
I've always loved this concept. Maybe there's way more to it than I understand (very likely) but to even a technically educated laymen, it sounds like the Feds are more concerned about % nasties out the tailpipe than total lbs of nasties. So some clever young engineering intern said "hey, I know, let's dilute the mixture by pumping in a bunch more atmosphere to the exhaust gases" and voila, test passed.

If I'm off, someone enlighten me (I'm aware of the theory that adding more O2 to the hot gases will help combust unspent fuel):vhmmm:

Hy Octane
April 10th, 2008, 19:16
Its also to warm up the cats faster.

RS6-4dr911
April 11th, 2008, 01:38
To which cats are you referring? The ones chasing the mice in 16's serp belt or the ones trying to corner the one in my intake prefilter?

Hy Octane
April 11th, 2008, 02:10
Hehe. The ones that do the converting..

Fonzie Audi
April 12th, 2008, 00:32
What if i have no more cats? My cats and resonators have been removed.. it's just straight pipes. Could this be setting it off?

skiwi
April 12th, 2008, 04:54
nope, unlikely....

grizz
April 13th, 2008, 21:16
If you've got a code for the s a system i would check the small rubber hoses that go to the actuators on the back of each head .99.9% of the faults have been a split hose. grizz