PDA

View Full Version : Report DRC Failures to NHTSA

CornersWell
April 8th, 2008, 21:51
I just submitted mine here...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Don't know what the result might be, but perhaps the best outcome is a full recall on DRC. I understand that RS4s are suffering the same or similar issues with their Mk II DRC systems. They should be encouraged to submit, too.

I also learned this morning that the dealer ate the cost of my DRC repair (entire system was replaced) as the claim was rejected under the CPO. They also ate the cost of another DRC repair, as they had told the both of us that it was covered.

AudiNA isn't making any friends.

CW

ben916
April 8th, 2008, 23:16
Has anyone else done this?

On a side thread that may/may not be started is keep track of VIN's (volunteered, of course) of RS6's with "issues" or replaced DRC or transmissions. There maybe liability/disclosure issues but if you don't own the car anymore, not really your problem...

Hy Octane
April 8th, 2008, 23:47
I started this a few years ago..I urge all in the USA to file a safety complaint..

BLITZEN
April 8th, 2008, 23:56
On a side thread that may/may not be started is keep track of VIN's (volunteered, of course) of RS6's with "issues" or replaced DRC or transmissions. There maybe liability/disclosure issues but if you don't own the car anymore, not really your problem...

What liability/disclosure issues would there be? I crack up when I see guys post pictures of their cars with the license plates blurred out. And VIN's can be seen just by looking through someone's windshield. There's nothing private about this info, and there's no reason I can think of to protect it.

CornersWell
April 9th, 2008, 00:14
BTW, submitting a VIN is not required.

CW

HeadShot
April 9th, 2008, 00:17
I have been wondering about the blacked out plate thing for awhile. Agree with BLITZEN - never understood the point in this day and age.
Don't ya get pulled over alot more with ya plate covered up like that??!:trash:

ben916
April 9th, 2008, 00:25
What liability/disclosure issues would there be? I crack up when I see guys post pictures of their cars with the license plates blurred out. And VIN's can be seen just by looking through someone's windshield. There's nothing private about this info, and there's no reason I can think of to protect it.

Dealerships might have disclosure issues/liability issues. For instance: I was looking at RS6 on ebay that was local to me. The title on Ebay indicated "other". I drove up to the non-audi dealer and asked for a test drive. While on the drive, I asked about the "other" title issue. He disclosed that it was a lemon law buyback. He also showed me the lemon law paperwork associated with the car: the upper control arm squeaked and the original owner squawked to Audi and they bought it back. So there are some disclosure issues to be handled, lemon law, salvage, etc..

I am not suggesting that, as it is handled by the DMV.

I am suggesting a list of VIN's so members can self report DRC, Trans, other issues. Recently HYOCTANE dumped his RS6 due to a ton of issues, fixed or not. So that car is back at Audi getting "freshened " up and someone else will get it and not have the proper research/information to make an educated purchase. Carfax doesn't always have all the information needed. This also give any member/nonmembers ammuntion to tackle AoA if there is any other issue, as there is proof/testimony of problems. Only a suggestion...

As far as VIN's and license plates:
I can only think that someone would hide a VIN is due to cloning/tribute/recreation of rare muscle cars and the like.
License plates? No clue on that one...

HeadShot
April 9th, 2008, 03:51
Thats a good point about car fax. I was about to buy an RS6 out of Vegas from Fletcher Jones. The car fax said the car was clean but i was already running another checker "autocheck, something like that" so i ran that and the history came back that the car had been in an accident - there was a report generated with the Vegas PD and a file number.
I contacted Fletcher Jones and asked about this as i realise sometimes the smallest things are reported. The guy says that was my problem to find out the details and did i want the car $58K 40Kmiles on it or not.(the interior was killer) I brought my baby in Colorado 14.500miles.. $55K and the best drive of my life getting her home to Cali.
A week later the dicks supervisor calls and asks if i was still interested in the Vegas 6. After relaying the story - i had the pleasure of telling her i was sitting in my new RS6 right then. Ha... bet she ripped her sales man a new one.

Moral of the story... when spending a grip... double/ tripple check the research.... ya might just save a fortune.

DuckWingDuck
April 9th, 2008, 06:28
ya, to be honest, I don't trust any of them shits and I agree with BEN916, I really don't have a problem posting my VIN/license plate #.

mmaturo
April 9th, 2008, 06:40
This post got off track but everyone here who has had the DRC replaced needs to add to the link in the original post. $2700 is on the line which is the cost for just the shocks/labor that are NOT covered under CPO. Mine also was replaced to my benefit but Audi NA says no period. The next time it goes I eat it.

Between things like this and the high cost of everything for this car I am finding it hard to justify keeping it when spark plugs are $400 and so are pads, and oil changes half that. Hard to justify except that it is plain awesome when its working right.

Benman
April 9th, 2008, 22:36
Received a request to sticky thread, so I did. Any other mods have a problem, feel free to "unsticky". :cheers:

Ben:addict:

ben916
April 10th, 2008, 01:04
HYOCTANE, you still there? Still have the VIN?

CornersWell
April 11th, 2008, 19:59
Sticky-ing this is a good idea.

Thanks,

CW

Audiphile
April 11th, 2008, 20:30
Do European RS6s have a history of DRC issues as compared to NA?

gmbh6
April 11th, 2008, 21:56
Where the heck is the DRC under the component list?

Supsension? Steering?

DuckWingDuck
April 12th, 2008, 01:26
Where the heck is the DRC under the component list?

Supsension? Steering?

Should be suspension.

CornersWell
April 12th, 2008, 03:53
I also entered it under suspension.

CW

jimmy94507
April 12th, 2008, 04:09
All who submitted something.

What key safety points have you made and feel should be re-inforced by others?

Thanks, Jimmy S.

Hy Octane
April 19th, 2008, 05:25
OK Gang! Keep it coming! I just got an email from a fellow who works for the NHTSA/ DOT and has read our complaints..he is asking me for an interview to learn about the DRC issues and how it works, why its a problem, what happens when it fails and what Audi is doing about it. I will be speaking to him on Apr 28th.
Way to go team!
Squeaky wheel and all that.. <S>

DuckWingDuck
April 19th, 2008, 17:45
just confirmed by my service advisor and technicial at Audi Mission Viejo here in Orange County. AoA is no longer covering DRC under CPO, apparently they just went to a class for this.

gmbh6
April 24th, 2008, 00:23
OK Gang! Keep it coming! I just got an email from a fellow who works for the NHTSA/ DOT and has read our complaints..he is asking me for an interview to learn about the DRC issues and how it works, why its a problem, what happens when it fails and what Audi is doing about it. I will be speaking to him on Apr 28th.
Way to go team!
Squeaky wheel and all that.. <S>

:thumb:

but hurry up I have to change mine soon :bow:

DuckWingDuck
April 24th, 2008, 02:33
gmbh6, which dealership do you go to?

gmbh6
April 24th, 2008, 02:58
pacific usually

DuckWingDuck
April 24th, 2008, 03:00
oh, okay, so you're more north. I don't know the guys at Pacific but Audiphile knows them all very well, so maybe he'd be able to help spread a good word for you.

gmbh6
April 24th, 2008, 03:01
yeah man every bit helps

CornersWell
April 29th, 2008, 00:56
Hy Octane,

How'd the interview go with the DOT/NHTSA?

Interested parties wish to know!

CW

mmaturo
May 2nd, 2008, 05:06
Just finished up adding my complaint. What i added is the dangerous nature of the handling. It really is the twitchy handling and sidestepping over bumps on the interstate. Rounding curves at speed over expansion joints is plain dangerous when the DRC fails. The car bounces, wheels lose contact and car sidesteps. Obviously the fact that it repeatedly fails is the issue.

nene
May 3rd, 2008, 00:02
We're up to 27 complaints on the RS6 alone.

waflnutz
May 7th, 2008, 03:19
filed. done.

Rutkowsky
May 7th, 2008, 22:21
My RS6 was European and no exception..

mmaturo
May 28th, 2008, 17:19
The engineers for the NHTSA have been calling and investigating the DRC so if you have not yet done the write up please please do.

JP4
June 12th, 2008, 15:45
The engineers for the NHTSA have been calling and investigating the DRC so if you have not yet done the write up please please do.

Done! :vgrumpy:

CornersWell
June 12th, 2008, 16:02
I spoke with them about a week ago. Good conversation. They're actually considering taking a car with DRC failure out on the road and experiencing it for themselves. They asked whether I would loan my car, which I would under the right circumstances, but my DRC was just repaired two months ago. So, I don't know how driving mine would help them, unless they intend to have the DRC system intentionally drained. If they did that, however, they'd damage the shock seals, so they'd have to replace them after the testing. Doubt that they'd be interested in paying for 4 new shocks and installation.

CW

jimmy94507
June 12th, 2008, 19:16

I've added my to the list.

Jimmy S.

Spidercat
June 27th, 2008, 00:07
Added my name to the complaint list...
DRC went out earlier this week. Audi dealer is being very cool about it. Aftermarket insurance company, not so much...
Hopefully, my rep at the Audi dealer will get them to foot the entire bill (as they should).
Funny thing is, I didn't notice any big change in handling/ride at all, but the slow leaking was found fortuitously when the mechanic was looking around while doing a tune-up (engine/trans oil, spark plugs, air/cabin/fuel filters) and the check-engine light came on last week after I had already scheduled the app't. Check engine light likely had to do with crappy gas as best as they can figure out. Seems like they've made that diagnosis of exclusion on a few other cars, and my story fits (I'm a sucker for cheap(er) gas (although still "premium") available at no-name service stations. We'll see if it comes back, but I digress. He also found that my front CV boots where old/cracked and spraying small amounts of axle grease on the insides of my front wheels (I had just attributed it to the insane amount of brake dust that I'm use to seeing). Anyway, thanks for posting this link!

DuckWingDuck
June 27th, 2008, 01:46
is there really a difference between Gas Co. A and Gas Co. B's 91 octane gas? Isn't 91 octane 91 octane?

snoopra
June 27th, 2008, 02:30
is there really a difference between Gas Co. A and Gas Co. B's 91 octane gas? Isn't 91 octane 91 octane?

DWD, you're correct, 91 is 91. Some discount stations try "blending" 89 and 91 to make a few extra bucks at our expense by selling 90 as 91. :( ( I work in a refinery )

Spidercat
June 27th, 2008, 02:36
You wouldn't think, would ya?
But apparently they had a few people come in over the last few years with mysterious "check engine" light problem, and could never find anything wrong with the cars. Eventually, after a lot of detective work, they found that those with the problems either a) ran their tanks down to emty or b)bought "cheap" gas or both. I told him that I did both of these things. When they finally drained/changed the fuel, the problem went away. I explained that I thought the fuel filter would keep any crap out of the injection system when it was suckin' the crap out of the bottom of the tank, but he said he didn't think particulate matter was the root cause, but admitted he didn't know what it was. The audi tech couldn't explain the cheap gas thing either, but he said that "Audi" (maybe the dealer?) recommends using only Shell, Chevron, 76, or Aloha (local co), and NOT a few others (mostly local). My guess is that it has more to do with how long the gas sits around and the quality of the refinement process, rather than the specific octane rating. From what I hear, fuel that has a higher ethanol content tends to absorb (or adsorb?) water the longer it sits. That's just speculation on my part. However, they feel pretty strongly about it, so I guess there's something to it. I don't know if it's just a local problem with gas or if it goes for the mainland, too. FWIW, my wife's A4 has never had the check engine light come on, and we get gas at the same place. Go figure. I guess it's $4.65/gal instead of the "cheap"-lol $4.55/gal from now on. The $2 more per fill up is money well spent if it keeps me away from the shop. We shall see...
BTW, I won't have the car back until well after July 4th, since all the DRC parts have to be ordered and shipped here.:cry: DWD, you must be dying as well!
...This Saturn is killing me, but at least they gave me a rental, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

DuckWingDuck
June 27th, 2008, 03:03
spidercat, ya, man but at least they gave me an audi! Sucks to be a in the saturn. I'm still not sure when I'll get my car back. Bleah.

DuckWingDuck
July 3rd, 2008, 05:22
so, speaking to my service advisor and the tech today, my erm, "issue" with the tyre (documented in another thread) could potentially have something to do with the DRC. The tech took off the tyre and during his inspection saw some leaking from the right front shock. Bleah. So, as it is, AoA will refuse to cover this damage and their recommendation at this point is to go through my insurance and the advisor will cook up the "proper" documentation to try to get them to cover this issue and hopefully get both of my front shocks replaced. Quite annoying to say the least.

Hy Octane
July 3rd, 2008, 18:07
I suspect many of us who have had DRC failures/improper repairs and excessive premature inner tire wear should be demanding Audi replace our tires as well as DRC.. My first set of Pirellis which it came with new wore out evenly.. This is with the proper super stiff DRC ride it came with new.. Then, the DRC failed, was repaired wrong and the next set of PS2's wore out the insides wayyy too fast while there was thousands of miles of tread left on the outsides.. Figuring that a DRC with inadequate pressurization will let the negative camber increase under load past what it should be, it figures that the two are linked.. so, add another $1000 in tires to the cost of a bad DRC fix.. but WAIT! Thats not all! Now we have the added premature wearing out of our control arms due to the same reasons.. So, you see, Audi should be responsible for alot more than just the DRC fix. Now, what to do about it?

DuckWingDuck
July 3rd, 2008, 18:16
Paul,

Shoot me an email, greg @ twilightstr.net thanks!

DuckWingDuck
July 3rd, 2008, 18:19
I suspect many of us who have had DRC failures/improper repairs and excessive premature inner tire wear should be demanding Audi replace our tires as well as DRC.. My first set of Pirellis which it came with new wore out evenly.. This is with the proper super stiff DRC ride it came with new.. Then, the DRC failed, was repaired wrong and the next set of PS2's wore out the insides wayyy too fast while there was thousands of miles of tread left on the outsides.. Figuring that a DRC with inadequate pressurization will let the negative camber increase under load past what it should be, it figures that the two are linked.. so, add another $1000 in tires to the cost of a bad DRC fix.. but WAIT! Thats not all! Now we have the added premature wearing out of our control arms due to the same reasons.. So, you see, Audi should be responsible for alot more than just the DRC fix. Now, what to do about it?

Ugh, it's all rather frustrating as my damage far exceeds that! I've got a two cracks in my fender, the side indicator flew off, the tyre when it shredded also pulled out quite a bit of wiring damage. Not to mention the control arm and shocks you mentioned above. A conservative back of the envelope estimate done by my service advisor and technician puts my damage in parts alone at around $4k and that's before any labour charges are involved and Audi won't pick up any of it.

CornersWell
July 3rd, 2008, 19:38
...hopefully get both of my front shocks replaced.

Well, just to be clear, what you may really have to have replaced, DWD, are the front and opposite rear shocks and control valve unit. It's a cross-linked, closed system (front R to rear L and a front L to rear R).

Either way, sorry to hear of your troubles. I can confirm that Audi won't cover their replacement under CPO.

CW

CornersWell
July 3rd, 2008, 19:43
I suspect many of us who have had DRC failures/improper repairs and excessive premature inner tire wear should be demanding Audi replace our tires as well as DRC. ... Now we have the added premature wearing out of our control arms due to the same reasons.

I, too, had bad front control arms which were replaced when Audi recently replaced the entire DRC system.

I'm not sure that I'm noticing any concerning wear patterns, but I can't remember what the last set of PZeros looked like when they came off. The BStones seem to be holding up alright, but they're probably only around 10K miles. I would likely attribute the wear to the camber settings, but I think your logic is sound about sagging suspension causing inner wear patterns and problems.

CW

Hy Octane
July 3rd, 2008, 20:25
Paul,

Shoot me an email, greg @ twilightstr.net thanks!

Dude. Tried to email ya.. was sent back.. says;

"Host twilightstr.net not found."

PM me..??

DuckWingDuck
July 4th, 2008, 01:00
ROFL, my bad, greg @ twilightstar.net :D missed the a there.

DuckWingDuck
July 4th, 2008, 01:01
Well, just to be clear, what you may really have to have replaced, DWD, are the front and opposite rear shocks and control valve unit. It's a cross-linked, closed system (front R to rear L and a front L to rear R).

Either way, sorry to hear of your troubles. I can confirm that Audi won't cover their replacement under CPO.

CW

See, that's what I was led to believe reading on the boards here but my service advisor says that there is no documentation anywhere that states that the shocks have to be replaced in cross-linked pairs!

CornersWell
July 4th, 2008, 04:07
See, that's what I was led to believe reading on the boards here but my service advisor says that there is no documentation anywhere that states that the shocks have to be replaced in cross-linked pairs!

Well, I think your service advisor should have a chat with the tech, who should have a chat with the area rep and/or AoA. His solution of replacing both front shocks may just result in your coming in a day after it's repaired with the same problem, which, of course, he'd be liable to fix once again under the 12-month repair warranty. So, that'd be his mistake, but it would waste your time. I suppose that the critical test is whether the DRC will hold pressure. But, of course, if the opposing shock seals are damaged, the system wouldn't stay pressurized for long. This isn't rocket science.

And, the damage is done to your existing DRC once de-pressurized, so you won't hurt anything further if you drive on it while he's waiting for a reply on it.

All I can tell you is that's what I was told, that's what was fixed, and that's what's worked (so far) on my DRC fix.

CW

ben916
July 14th, 2008, 23:10
bump for CORNERSWELL...

Unstuck??!??!

CornersWell
July 14th, 2008, 23:35
Maybe stickies expire?

Thanks, Ben.

CW

DuckWingDuck
July 15th, 2008, 00:16
When I get my car back and a full list of repair details, if the DRC was indeed the culprit, I will be sure to chime in as well.

Spidercat
July 15th, 2008, 00:29
When do expect to regain custody of your baby?

Spidercat
July 15th, 2008, 00:29
It's been forever and a day!

DuckWingDuck
July 15th, 2008, 00:34
Ya, it certainly has. I've forgotten what my car looks like! Haha. Due to a variety of reasons, busy technician, vacationing service advisor, and my being out of town things didn't really get rolling until about a week ago. Put in a claim with my insurance company (as AoA won't cover DRC much less damage as a result of their shitty DRC) who's in the process of approving the repairs. Hopefully I'll get it back before the end of the month but I just found out today that I'll be in the Bahamas (for work!) for about three weeks, it's looking like the timelines coincide with each other but knowing my luck, it'll be 2009 before I see my car again!

ben916
July 15th, 2008, 16:59
...but I just found out today that I'll be in the Bahamas (for work!) for about three weeks, it's looking like the timelines coincide with each other but knowing my luck, it'll be 2009 before I see my car again!

Watch out for BERTHA or whatever the next one is...

three weeks is bumping right up to the SD meet....

DuckWingDuck
July 15th, 2008, 19:11
ya, it's looking like I'm not going to be able to make the big san diego meetup. Really sucks but this just means you gotta come out to one of our driving events ben!!

DuckWingDuck
July 15th, 2008, 19:44
Has anybody had their DRC repaired by NON Audi dealership? I am concerned that my insurance company is trying to have my vehicle repaired (body work done by third party is fine but suspension too!!) by a third party vendor who say they are factory certified.

Hy Octane
July 18th, 2008, 20:49
So, why has this thread become unstuck?

DuckWingDuck
July 19th, 2008, 01:26
That's what I'm wondering. Paul, you gonna make it to the big euro meet in SD on the 10th?

snoopra
July 19th, 2008, 03:59
Watch out for BERTHA or whatever the next one is...

three weeks is bumping right up to the SD meet....

Next "one" is Cristobal :D

http://www.stormfax.com/atlnames.htm

CornersWell
August 4th, 2008, 19:56
Has anyone had any news from the DOT/NHTSA?

Would be interested in knowing.

I have heard nothing, BTW, since my interview.

Thanks,

CW

CornersWell
August 8th, 2008, 20:30
So, no updates.

Bummer. Was hoping we'd be making some progress with them by now.

CW