PDA

View Full Version : S6 Tracking issues?

phil_s6
April 7th, 2008, 22:03
Hi,

I'm having tracking problems with my 2007 S6... It was fine when new but now has a very odd feel, doesn't center properly after a turn, tramlines (indentations in the road surface) and kicks a bit to one side or the other on cambers. I've taken it back to the dealer who says they have corrected the tracking but to me it's no better. Anyone else have similar issues with an S6?

RS6-4dr911
April 8th, 2008, 04:01
One possibility is tread separation. A tire can have an internal defect that causes increase rolling resistance, hence the pulling even though the alignment is correct. I'm assuming tire pressures have been checked and are within a few pounds of each other.

gjg
April 8th, 2008, 08:43
lift it up and try rear wheels to move in vertical plane - sometimes the ball joints on rear axle wear and it would cause the effect you have. If there is any play, get them replace it.

phil_s6
April 8th, 2008, 12:39
One possibility is tread separation. A tire can have an internal defect that causes increase rolling resistance, hence the pulling even though the alignment is correct. I'm assuming tire pressures have been checked and are within a few pounds of each other.

I'm pretty keen on tire pressure these days and keep it in check every week so it's not that (although I agree this was one of my first thoughts).

phil_s6
April 8th, 2008, 12:40
lift it up and try rear wheels to move in vertical plane - sometimes the ball joints on rear axle wear and it would cause the effect you have. If there is any play, get them replace it.

Wouldn't that be a bit premature for a 2007 car with less than 10,000 miles on the clock?

gjg
April 8th, 2008, 16:57
Wouldn't that be a bit premature for a 2007 car with less than 10,000 miles on the clock?

probably, but you never know.... I'd check it anyway

Audiphile
April 8th, 2008, 19:21
No, my S6 tracks very well even with 20"s.