PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Audi A6.

Kowalski
April 3rd, 2008, 20:52
Blast from the past: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Audi A6 (C5).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p7D4rMRPo0

The review was originally broadcast in 1997.

I agree with his comment about the styling but are the seats really uncomfortable as he pointed out? :vhmmm:

Thrives
April 4th, 2008, 07:47
Perhaps I am actually able to weigh in with some expertise here ...

We had one of those A6s 2.4 in my family for 10 years (from new in 1997). She was sold last year with 260.000 km on the clock all driven by us. Quite frankly I disagree with Clarkson on this. We had sportsseats in ours which indeed were a bit hard but relative to the 'mushy' leather it is a completely different world on long hauls. I would say that today's leather seats are much more firm and tight.

He also says that the 2.8 Quattro was a better package. I don't think so. The 2.8 was always a bit sloppy and heavy to me and the 2.4 more crisp and revvy. She was not fast that is for sure but that had more to do with an amazingly awful 5 speed box than the engine. Once she was in gear she pulled fine given her weight and power. The 30 valve technique was always notorious; I guess it provided torque (the 2.4 had a respectable 230 nm) but it also meant that when she was reved she made a bit of a grumble.

All in all a good car although not as good as the 5-series, that is true. As for reliability; well look above. Our car still looked 'new' in terms on interior and ALL the small lights were still working. Also, we never changed the clutch or exhaust system (which is probably because we did not beat her although I had my first 2 driving years in it; poor girl :))

gjg
April 5th, 2008, 12:05
Perhaps I am actually able to weigh in with some expertise here ...

We had one of those A6s 2.4 in my family for 10 years (from new in 1997). She was sold last year with 260.000 km on the clock all driven by us. Quite frankly I disagree with Clarkson on this. We had sportsseats in ours which indeed were a bit hard but relative to the 'mushy' leather it is a completely different world on long hauls. I would say that today's leather seats are much more firm and tight.

He also says that the 2.8 Quattro was a better package. I don't think so. The 2.8 was always a bit sloppy and heavy to me and the 2.4 more crisp and revvy. She was not fast that is for sure but that had more to do with an amazingly awful 5 speed box than the engine. Once she was in gear she pulled fine given her weight and power. The 30 valve technique was always notorious; I guess it provided torque (the 2.4 had a respectable 230 nm) but it also meant that when she was reved she made a bit of a grumble.

All in all a good car although not as good as the 5-series, that is true. As for reliability; well look above. Our car still looked 'new' in terms on interior and ALL the small lights were still working. Also, we never changed the clutch or exhaust system (which is probably because we did not beat her although I had my first 2 driving years in it; poor girl :))

I have same experience as you with 2.4 Q (body, lights, interior, drive train), except we got to 321000 km before the car was sold - it is still on the road today.

And fuel consumption was not too bad either - in 97 I drove this car from Wiesbaden past Prague in winter storm one time and did 786 km on fuel tank .... :brag: dry conditions different story tho

54m
April 6th, 2008, 00:10
Ive Had an A6 2.4 around about 5 Years ago was a brilliant car to own sounded quite nice aswell.....:thumb: