Erik
April 3rd, 2008, 14:01
I'd guess M5 in 100-200 km/h.

Freestyla80
April 3rd, 2008, 15:36
Sad to say, but the M5 will be faster from 100-***kmh

Leadfoot
April 3rd, 2008, 16:14
I won't vote because I think it's too close to call, you will get different results from different cars.

Why not have a vote from 0-175mph, that would really sort to men from the boys. ;)

artur777
April 3rd, 2008, 16:28
0-175mph will be for M5 also

gjg
April 3rd, 2008, 16:51
I won't vote because I think it's too close to call, you will get different results from different cars.

Why not have a vote from 0-175mph, that would really sort to men from the boys. ;)

I second that, Leadie - also from driver to driver, conditions..... And are we talking stock for stock? rs6+/m5touring?

Erik
April 3rd, 2008, 19:15
Remember one thing. There is usually a difference between time and distance going from 0-

So going from 0 the RS6 will have a few car lengths for the M5 to catch up.

Won't help from 100 and up however, unless there's a lot of wheel spin which there isn't.

Leadfoot
April 3rd, 2008, 20:23
Remember one thing. There is usually a difference between time and distance going from 0-

So going from 0 the RS6 will have a few car lengths for the M5 to catch up.

Won't help from 100 and up however, unless there's a lot of wheel spin which there isn't.

Erik,

You are quite right on this, but if and I highlight this point, if the M5 is producing it's quoted figures and no more than I know that the figures still stack up for the RS6 to maintain a comfortable advantage. It's all to do with having more power and more torque for more of the time, do the maths and you will see I am right.

P.S.
But this only works if the cars are producing their quoted figures and no more or no less.

chewym
April 4th, 2008, 03:56
The last test put the two equal (.1 of a difference) from 100-200. You won't be able to do this in many places in the world legally. Again a very specific test that is the only one left after the RS6 has won the other ones.

I say the quarter mile is a better indication of performance because you can actually race it.

Erik
April 4th, 2008, 07:23
I say the quarter mile is a better indication of performance because you can actually race it.

It also gives an indication, sorry an answer, of which car is first over the line, after all that is what defines victory.

Erik
April 4th, 2008, 09:25
techiehost, we all know where there is leading.

As the M5 is your dream car please try www.m5board.com and please stop trolling around here.

Erik
April 4th, 2008, 10:18
The audi is more geared towards everyday, the bmw is more for the track.

Nice that the Audi RS6 has been faster than the M5 on track then, in the tests I've seen :incar: :race:

Erik
April 4th, 2008, 10:49
Just read the tests that are out. They're pointing in a direction.

Leadfoot
April 4th, 2008, 13:18
A quater mile race you might be able to do legally with an audi but not with a M5, it will be going almost 200km/h by the end.:hihi:

The M5 is a pretty quick car, I know, I have driven one but it's a very compromised tool. Too much power for a chassis which drives the only wheels with 45% of it's weight over them, ie poor traction off the line and in poor conditions. Secondly it go a torque band which is all at the top end, so in anything other than full throttle it will lose to most things of similar power.

You believe it's better than the RS6, maybe in one type of acceleration over a narrow speed range but on the whole the RS6 is a more balanced and ultimately the better package which you can extract more of it's power, more of the time.

A very specific test... a 1/4 mile is specific. 0-60 is specific. The M5 has a very good chance of pulling after 30-40mph. It also has 7 gears, which is a real big advantage at very high speeds. Although it will be interesting if the RS6 is geared properly. The M5 starts running out of steam at over 200mph Where roughly 500hp is required, but the RS6 will have an extra 80hp. Basically if you know CdA and max horsepower you can calculate top speed. Now you want the gearing to be such that at top speed in top gear the rpms should be where maximum horsepower is. The M5 is obviously perfectly geared for the highest top speed. Only question is if the RS6 will, or will 6th gear be too tall?

Here we go again, the same old argument of gearing to try and fool people that M cars are quicker even with the limited torque.

The topspeed of the M5 in sixth gear is 185mph, where as the RS6 will probably be closer to 175mph. That meaning it's go an extra gearing on hand against the RS6 which if all else were equal the M5 would have an advantage up to 5th gear, say 140mph after which point the RS6 would hold the advantage as it's 5th would pull harder because of it's lower topspeed. But things are equal between the two, the RS6 has an extra 80hp and much more torque over most of the rev range and with a higher peak into the bargain.

I will look forward to seeing some street races between the two and I doubt the M5 will be winning too many of those. :hihi:

Leadfoot
April 4th, 2008, 21:38
techiehost,

You seem to be missing what I was saying when commenting on the M5 maybe quicker in a simple discipline. Sure when you are ready for a race the M5 will be as good as the rest but in normal driving, ie up to 70% of the rev range the M5 is no better than a 535d, in fact the big diesel will quite possibly give better results. That's called torque and it's what makes it easy to drive a car quickly, unlike the M5 which you have to ring it's neck, it's a different way of skinning a cat.

Next you reckon that when the RS6 is changing gear at it's 6800rpm limit the M5 will still be pulling long after that, sorry but where did you get that beauty. If each car's gear is roughly at 35mph spreads then each are spending a similar amount of time in any given gear. It doesn't matter whether one revs to 6800rpm and the other revs to 8300rpm, all that matters is the torque and power in each ones given power spread, which will be roughly 2000~3000rpm for each car. My guess is the RS6 will have more power and torque in each gear than the M5 will have and that's all that counts.

Audi choose to go the turbo route with the RS6 because these engines suit this respective sector better than a modest sized N/A engine would, those engines are too peaky with their torque and aren't that relaxing to drive. When Mercedes decided to drop the supercharger they didn't keep the same capacity, they increased it to keep some of that lovely torque. In any case Audi showed that they can build a world class N/A engine, why do it again when it's not the right choice just to prove a point.

The really sad thing is that even the S6 with 70hp less, much more weight and a less impressive automatic still beat the M5 in two German reviews, proving my point that BMW made the wrong car for this sector and will still make the wrong car with the next one. They have always been a one trick pony and they still are as the only decent car in their arsenal is the M3.

Freestyla80
April 4th, 2008, 23:15
It doesn't matter whether one revs to 6800rpm and the other revs to 8300rpm, all that matters is the torque and power in each ones given power spread, which will be roughly 2000~3000rpm for each car. My guess is the RS6 will have more power and torque in each gear than the M5 will have and that's all that counts.

From standstill, you need power, grip and less weight to be fast, not torque.

The really sad thing is that even the S6 with 70hp less, much more weight and a less impressive automatic still beat the M5 in two German reviews, proving my point that BMW made the wrong car for this sector and will still make the wrong car with the next one. They have always been a one trick pony and they still are as the only decent car in their arsenal is the M3.

Sorry, im a big Audi Fan, but thats not true.
The M5 is in an another league against the S6.
S6->M5->RS6
The S6 won in the german tests because of his comfort.
The E63AMG won in a recent test against the new RS6 and the M5, because of his comfort!
Makes this the amg the best car?????

Leadfoot
April 4th, 2008, 23:42
Sorry, im a big Audi Fan, but thats not true.
The M5 is in an another league against the S6.
S6->M5->RS6
The S6 won in the german tests because of his comfort.
The E63AMG won in a recent test against the new RS6 and the M5, because of his comfort!
Makes this the amg the best car?????

???????????????

That's basically what I was saying, the M5 is too extreme because of it's engine, manner and approach.

itisme
April 5th, 2008, 00:13
AWD is a compromise, you dont see it in real racing.

thats one of the funniest things i read here so far :jlol:

Spidercat
April 5th, 2008, 00:34
techiehost, we all know where there is leading.

As the M5 is your dream car please try www.m5board.com (http://www.m5board.com) and please stop trolling around here.

So true. She's obviously a troll who just joined the forum for this silly post that's already been beat like a dead horse. And who would actually buy an M5 as their track car, or thinks that it's a big F1 car? Evidently she does (I'm assuming she because she prefers a 335). Sorry, but it's a woman's car. Not that that's an insult, nothing wrong with them, per se. But they do have the built-in lipstick case, and the dildo-holder (or "driver's seat" as other motorists refer to it). Does anyone on this forum really think that they have a "chance" against a 335? I don't think anything of them. I nothing them. Like a Camry or Maxima.

Freestyla80
April 5th, 2008, 00:37
???????????????

That's basically what I was saying, the M5 is too extreme because of it's engine, manner and approach.

Yes, he is harder( no to hard), loud but extremly fast.
I respect bmw, they've done a Masterpiece of an engine.
I prefer Audi, but here near my Hometown in Germany, if you see a fast saloon car, it is always a M5 :(

AndyBG
April 5th, 2008, 01:34
... if you see a fast saloon car, it is always a M5

And even faster station wagon, RS 6 Avant. :D :revs:

Leadfoot
April 5th, 2008, 09:40
I think marked your card from the very first post, a troll, nothing more, nothing less. :nana:

Happy typing. :cheers:

gjg
April 5th, 2008, 11:56
I think marked your card from the very first post, a troll, nothing more, nothing less. :nana:

Happy typing. :cheers:

Ah think he may be from Bucurest ..... ? :doh:

gjg
April 5th, 2008, 11:58
Don't worry I will enjoy the best new engine of the year.

make sure you check my exhaust pipes as ah be going by ....... :harass:

Leadfoot
April 5th, 2008, 14:19
Don't worry I will enjoy the best new engine of the year.

Hey I couldn't agree more with that statement, they make wonderful engines, it's just a shame that the rest of the package wasn't as polished. :hihi:

Let's face it, they track record of successes with M cars are limited to solely one model, the M3. The rest of them are a total and utter waste of space in my opinion.

Z4M = Good on the track and sh1t off it.
M3 = Best version to date and most similar to an Audi.
M5 = The engine over-powers the rest of the package.
M6 = ditto, but without the space and 30% more expensive for the pleasure.

S3 = One of the quickest point to point machines under 300hp.
S5 = Better looking and to drive than the equivalent BMW.
RS4 = The match of the M3 from a design which was developed more than 7 years ago.
RS6 = The best car in it's class, quicker, easier to drive quickly, faster both on and off the track with lower c02 and more economical, the ultimate family express.
R8 = The ultimate sportscar, period which is due to get even better next year.

No contest in my opinion.

Erik
April 5th, 2008, 18:37
Anyways I think I am done here. I just wanted to prove a point to someone. You guys confirmed it, thanks.

You kind of did that too. :lovl:

Remember what I said when you first started posting. And I was so right.

Erik
April 5th, 2008, 18:39
R8 = The ultimate sportscar, period which is due to get even better next year.

And where is the competition from MB and BMW? :vhmmm: :blush:

Vorsprung... :hahahehe:

Leadfoot
April 5th, 2008, 22:05
Erik,

I doubt I will ever understand why d1cks like that come on to any site just to stir sh1t.

On the subject of the R8, what do you make of the news about the RS6 engine making it's way into the engine bay. Surely a competitor for the GTR if ever there was one and surely something that will finally show that up-start the order of things.

KresoF1
April 5th, 2008, 22:34
Sorry to say this but, R8 even with V10 engine do not have any chance against Nissan GT-R. In fact kudos to Nissan since they developed truly something special. I heard some facts from very respected source and GT-R did 7.50min on partially wet Ring. According to dry sector times it is capable in something like 7.40min in ideal conditions.
Just to tell you about R8(420hp) 7.59min time... It is achived with R8 that features Ceramics, Corsa Evoluzione tires, Bucket seats and Magnetic Ride. BUT, NO Navi, heated seats, CD Changer etc. Car that none of the REAL R8 costumers would buy. It was the only way to keep weight at 1586kg.

Yeah, these days BMW is maybe POS... Some other manufactures rised the bar pretty high indeed... BUT, its name is Nissan, NOT Audi(I am sorry about that)...

artur777
April 5th, 2008, 23:34
KresoF1,

sorry to be not in the know, but what is POS?

Z07
April 5th, 2008, 23:45
There's a lot of ifs and buts here. Many M5s are delivering 530+ps. Combine that with a 10% weight advantage and RWD and it's a close race.

Rage
April 5th, 2008, 23:52
Very close no doubt. Will it affect your buying decision?

Leadfoot
April 6th, 2008, 00:28
Sorry to say this but, R8 even with V10 engine do not have any chance against Nissan GT-R. In fact kudos to Nissan since they developed truly something special. I heard some facts from very respected source and GT-R did 7.50min on partially wet Ring. According to dry sector times it is capable in something like 7.40min in ideal conditions.
Just to tell you about R8(420hp) 7.59min time... It is achived with R8 that features Ceramics, Corsa Evoluzione tires, Bucket seats and Magnetic Ride. BUT, NO Navi, heated seats, CD Changer etc. Car that none of the REAL R8 costumers would buy. It was the only way to keep weight at 1586kg.

Yeah, these days BMW is maybe POS... Some other manufactures rised the bar pretty high indeed... BUT, its name is Nissan, NOT Audi(I am sorry about that)...

Lately we seem to be in disagreement and once again this is the case.

If Audi do give the R8 the RS6 engine then it will be able to reach 150mph in under 20 seconds and will have a top speed in excess of 210mph. The cars weight will be more but none of the balance in the chassis will have changed and we know that on every other track the R8 is the match of the GTR, a car which is already quicker in acceleration than the R8 proving that the Audi is actually able to out handle it.

We know bases on the output vs power that this R8 should be quicker than the GTR so odds are it be quicker on the ring as the only thing holding the present R8 back is it's acceleration on the longer sections.

I don't doubt you will disagree with me but I reckon my comments will find favour with lots of other members.

P.S.
I don't always get it right but I do more times than I don't. ;)

gjg
April 6th, 2008, 09:38
KresoF1,

sorry to be not in the know, but what is POS?

"Piece Of Sh1t" :hihi:

artur777
April 6th, 2008, 16:45
gjg - thanks for the notion
agree that some BMW cars are POS
But it seems that M3 is not a POS - it's quite strong and can be equally compared to RS4 or C63

KresoF1
April 6th, 2008, 19:56
Lately we seem to be in disagreement and once again this is the case.

If Audi do give the R8 the RS6 engine then it will be able to reach 150mph in under 20 seconds and will have a top speed in excess of 210mph. The cars weight will be more but none of the balance in the chassis will have changed and we know that on every other track the R8 is the match of the GTR, a car which is already quicker in acceleration than the R8 proving that the Audi is actually able to out handle it.

We know bases on the output vs power that this R8 should be quicker than the GTR so odds are it be quicker on the ring as the only thing holding the present R8 back is it's acceleration on the longer sections.

I don't doubt you will disagree with me but I reckon my comments will find favour with lots of other members.

P.S.
I don't always get it right but I do more times than I don't. ;)

Leadie,

I agree with you about 85% of time...

First, you did not understand me here since I was talking about forthcoming R8 V10(5204ccm V10 386Kw/525ps/540Nm)-this car is a done deal. You will see its intro in Paris.

On the other hand based on my info R8 V10TT will never happened...

Still, I hate the way Nissan GT-R looks.

Leadfoot
April 6th, 2008, 20:13
Leadie,

I agree with you about 85% of time...

First, you did not understand me here since I was talking about forthcoming R8 V10(5204ccm V10 386Kw/525ps/540Nm)-this car is a done deal. You will see its intro in Paris.

On the other hand based on my info R8 V10TT will never happened...

Still, I hate the way Nissan GT-R looks.

Well that is different, I too don't think the R8v10 N/A will match the Nissan, especially on the ring and in such disciplines as acceleration. Though I disagree that on most other tracks the R8v10 will be good enough for the GTR.

As for the R8v10tt and whether it will actually make it to production I can neither confirm nor deny it as I can't comment. ;)

BobLeBuilder
April 9th, 2008, 13:25
I recently ordered a Nissan GTR (having cancelled my RS6:cry:) to satisfy the male menopause I'm going through! The performance of the current GTR is pretty impressive, though purely on looks and practicality I think the Audi has the advantage.

Nissan have recently been testing the new Spec-V version of the GTR at the 'ring and have repeatedly done a 7:25. (I guess by analogy the GTR is Nissan's S series, whereas the Spec-V is their RS.) Its 100Kg lighter than the existing GTR R35 and has another 70 bhp. Porsche's Carrera GT managed a best run of 7:28. I don't know how much the GTR Spec-V will cost or when it is due to hit the show rooms, but it sounds completely mental and will offer a lot of 'bang for the buck'.

Mockenrue
April 11th, 2008, 12:16
thats one of the funniest things i read here so far :jlol:

Ditto here. All credibility undermined in one single statement! :harass: