PDA

View Full Version : Took Delivery of RS 6 on Thursday

BlackRS6
July 6th, 2003, 15:57
Had a blast this weekend. I took delivery of a black RS 6 outside of Philadelphia on Thursday afternoon. The car looks and drives great. The sound enhancing exhaust gives it a terrific growl. The ebony pearl paint look more like a very dark charcoal which looks fantastic in the sun. The ride is very powerful, the handling is tight and acually feels the road much less than my former 2002 2.7T with the sport suspension. I unfortunately have to make a business trip all this week, I'll miss the ride until next wekend.

jconley
July 6th, 2003, 16:01
Argh! You beat the rest of us!! lets see some pictures! Mine should be here any day now.

BlackRS6
July 6th, 2003, 16:11
I'll take pictures and post when I return this weekend. You'll love the car. the frustrations of the wait fade to zero as soon as you get behind the wheel.

JP4
July 6th, 2003, 18:35
That's great news for you AND the rest of us. Now we know they're really here.

Enjoy! :cheers:

Klint
July 6th, 2003, 18:51
Congrats!

We'll look forward to a small review and some pictures. So don't keep us waiting too long ;) .

Also welcome aboard.

:cheers:

GoFastKindaGuy
July 6th, 2003, 20:43
So... where will you be leaving your car while you are away? And the keys?

I'm sure several of us would help you get a head start on your pictures and performance reports!

:incar:

K04
July 6th, 2003, 20:54
Black RS6 where did you buy from, Don Rosen, YBH, etc....?

BlackRS6
July 7th, 2003, 00:01
Holbert's in Doylestown

Finnus
July 7th, 2003, 02:08
Jim,

You lucky dog!!! Congrats on the new wheels. I look forward to your full report & some pics.

Finnus

:cheers:

dabull
July 7th, 2003, 04:43
Great news for you and for the rest of us. I guess this means that the cork is out of the bottle and the flow of RS 6's should now start. :addict: :addict:

Benman
July 7th, 2003, 15:35
Jim,

congrats on being the first unofficial U.S. buyer of the mighty RS6. it sounds like you understand the FULL performance of the beast. makes the wait worth it!:cheers:

Ben:addict:

jconley
July 7th, 2003, 16:03
What did the gas guzzler end up being?

Rally
July 7th, 2003, 17:34
Does it have drilled brake discs and XM radio installed?

RS6FEVR
July 7th, 2003, 17:59
:cheers: JP4 :cheers:
Congratulations and thanks for filling us in. Like above, makes it seem like it really is going to happen! Would really like some of the details of fitment and performance when you get the chance. I'm sure if I were in your shoes, I'd rather be driving :D :D :D :incar:

Originally posted by Rally
Does it have drilled brake discs and XM radio installed?

:addict: FEVR :addict:

dabull
July 13th, 2003, 19:26
Jim, did they give you your RS 6 watch?

andyp
July 13th, 2003, 22:45
Congratulations BlackRS6.

I'm glad to hear the sound enhanced exhaust is worth it. I also chose the same color as you so I was pleased to read your opinion of the color.

Anything you are disapppointed with?
What tires did it come with? Seems that they are either getting Pirelli P Zeros or Dunlop SP9000 ... I'm hoping for the P Zeros.

Andy

BlackRS6
July 14th, 2003, 01:06
Sorry for the late reply but I have been away last week in Europe and just enjoyed a weekend of driving.

Answers to several of the questions asked:

Yes the brake disks are drilled, no there is not an XM radio installed.

The tires are Dunlop not Pirelli but they are working out fine.

Sorry for no pictures but I just found out the wife threw out the digital camera, maybe we'll get a new one later.

The car is just as fun the second weekend out, I took it over to the dealer and let the sales guys take turns trying it out. I am now very popular - everyone enjoyed their spin. A couple of additional comments:

1) The power and acceleration are outstanding, I've never driven anything like it. The consistent torque from 2K to 5K RPM's provide an amazingly smooth shift in almost every situation. The power is always there but no jerky motion when you hit it.

2) In both drive and sport mode the car downshifts when coasting into a stop light or stop sight. I feels like its "holding back" as it downshifts, but the car lets out a great growl when it does. In automatic mode it really does operate as you drive a manual.

3) The wheels and the sound are very distinctive to the outside observer. The car will be very stealth by most except for the growl which gets lots of attention.

4) The paddle shifts are super quick, almost no delay at all. Same can be said for the turbo lag which is virtually zero compared to my 2002 2.7T. The dynamic switching from normal drive mode to sport mode to manual shifting based on how you are driving is impressive and convenient.

5) Interier looks great. The silver piping on the black seats is very thin and muted - it bends in well...I was nervous about how it would look. The door handles and other metal knobs are brushed black to give the doors a cool mono-chrome look.

Only compaint so far is that its hard keep clean and the wheels take time to wash thoroughly...such hard problems to have.

I have put about 450 miles on in 2 weekends and really haven't driven any where but around. Can't wait to see how it performs once I get a couple thousand miles under the belt and it is properly broken in.

BlackRS6
July 14th, 2003, 01:07
Oh and I didn't get an RS 6 watch yet, but I can always hope.

dabull
July 14th, 2003, 08:34
Jim, the watch was supposed to be part the package but it probably couldn't clear " federal regs"
. Enjoy your car. :addict: :addict:

Benman
July 14th, 2003, 15:31
Great review Jim!:D

it is great to see the first person in the states out enjoying his car. your coments mirror my experience of the long drive i had in Europe. And after the break in period i'm sure you'll have even "bigger" fun:cheers:

RS6FEVR
July 14th, 2003, 16:03
Really appreciate the details Jim: :bang: :bang:
I don't remember ever hearing or reading about a "watch" thing? That would've maybe made up for the poor performance of the audi site :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Anyhow, she's broken in now and you can move that puppy at will :D :D
Hey Bill: You hangin at the dealership today? Let us know and I'm sure we all wish you good luck today. I certainly want your impressions too. I understand that mine is about two days out of Houston on board ship now (according to dealer who has been somewhat accurate on how things are going).
:addict: FEVR :addict:

nene
July 14th, 2003, 16:43
My RS6 has arrived too, and I took it for a spin (the test drive).

My RS6 came with P-Zeros for tires.
The growl from the exhaust is loud. But wonderful.
The ride is stiff, very very sporty in my opinion.

Keep in mind that the roads in the Northeast USA are not smooth at all, thus you can feel the bumps on the road.
On very newly paved roads the car offers an incredibly smooth ride. Taking 90 degree turns, and the car just stays put. I noticed a lot of less body roll on the RS6 then on my S4 (S4 has H&R street coilovers).

andyp
July 14th, 2003, 16:48
Nene and Jim,

Any comments on the steering? There has been mixed opinion from the Mororing press ... one mag rating it above the M5, which in my view has excellent steering response and feel.

Andy

andyp
July 14th, 2003, 16:50
As far as a watch ... who needs it ... I'd rather they give us two days in Atlanta driving their RS6's around the track (ala M5 purchase).

nene
July 14th, 2003, 17:08
My test drive was not long...only about 6 miles.
The steering wheel is nice and thick, and with good grip. I found the steering to be great in my opinion. Not sure what the M5 feels like, but the 1997 540i I have at home feels less responsive, and lighter. But I don't think that's a good comparison.
I did not pay enough attention to the steering to make what I'd consider a good sampling.

One thing that I did notice however, was the tranny.
The car was in Drive most of the time. I did notice when pulling up to a stop light, how it changed to 1st gear a bit prematurely once. This caused the car to rev up just a bit (up to 3K I think), and the noticeable increase in car slowing down.
When I put it in the gear shifting, it confirmed what I had suspected, which was going to 1st gear a bit early in my opinion. This only seemed to happen twice on that run, and they were consecutive. After that, it seemed less noticeable...maybe I got used to it. The S4 does not seem to do the same, and we all know it's a different tranny.

Bauer
July 14th, 2003, 18:53
Guys thanks for the reviews.....it makes me want my car even more. Once you get the cars properly broken in I would be intrested to hear how it performs at the limits? PLEASE keep the reviews and stories comming I NEED them at this point. Also on a side note anyone have any comments on the seats?

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4 modified
03 RS6 oredered

krm
July 14th, 2003, 20:21
While at Habberstad BMW in Long Island for an event yesterday, a gentlemen driving a red Enzo made a guest appearance bringing along his burgundy Barchetta as well. After getting a chance to speak with him, he mentioned among his collection of cars (which includes a Vanquish, soon to arrive Carrera GT, Zagato cabrio, and many other cars), he recently picked up an RS6. So its good to know the RS6 makes it into his exquisite collection.

Here are some pics of his Enzo and Barchetta.

http://www.kshu.com/images/summerfest713/enzo&barchetta.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/pcc99a0e1781db3a8608b990f14c7121b/fbaee162.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p17f0b24f96dbc3320bc400df61163b96/fbaee15d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p8003e13721ad5ac61d6e9e76ee51a09e/fbaee158.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p3805a53704e309a2703a8019e7308ff3/fbaee131.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/paee68f4958b4d07da67aa5e448a9ddfe/fbaee13f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p0df343a3dccf3898c5a443808cca4972/fbaee129.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/pcb0bbeb0617298864784b9a6b982eb87/fbaee167.jpg

Stunning interior combo in the Barchetta: creme leather seating with burgundy inserts and piping along with CF console and shiftknob.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p7f775066a5aa6731eadccf66345cceb8/fbaee1a5.jpg

andyp
July 14th, 2003, 20:50
Karman,

Great cars, great pictures ... if I could be anyone else, maybe its this guy!

I'm not surprised this guy has an RS6 ... after all, after driving all these amazing cars, he must relish going out in his RS6 and not drawing all that attention.

I hardly ever got a second look from anyone when I drove my M5, except now and again I'd get a thumbs up from a real enthusiast ... one of the reasons I like cars like the M5 and RS6.

Andy

Benman
July 14th, 2003, 21:38
with cars like these, you need something for your daily driver:addict: