PDA

View Full Version : AutocarUK: R8 V10 BiTurbo to come in 2009

pampas
April 1st, 2008, 04:30
I don't know what to say about this article, it's a little confusing starting with the way they call the R8 V10TT as RS8, that will never happen. Also, if to believe this one, the R8 will get exactly the RS6 engine, which might be way to strong for Audi/Lamborghini family, it will be faster than the Galardo.
I am not sure now if this is true, and if it is than whan will happen to the R8 V10? Will that go away being replaced by the V10TT or will also show up early next year (as rumours)??

Read article here! (http://www.autocarmag.com/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/231987/)

http://www.autocarmag.com/contentImages//Car/Audi/R8/4.2FSI2drCoupe/215775825.jpg

chewym
April 1st, 2008, 05:49
R8 V10TT would be awesome. No need for a V10 R8 if you have the TT V10. Gallardos will still continue to sell because they are made by Lamborghini. They should go with the twin turbo and forget company politics.

KresoF1
April 1st, 2008, 07:10
According to email that I just received from person who works at quattro Gmbh this Autocar article is pure fantasy...

HKS786
April 1st, 2008, 19:25
Leftlane broke the news that Audi would be fitting its R8 supercar with a V10 powerplant earlier this month, but we now have confirmation from Volkswagen's head of powertrain development, Wolfgang Hatz, that the R8 will indeed receive V10 power.

Moreover, Hatz says that the V10 powerplant will not be the one that Audi was reportedly developing specifically for use in the R8. Instead, the R8 will get the same twin-turbo powerplant used in the Audi RS6 Avant. In RS6 Avant guise, the 5.2L engine produces 580 horsepower and 480 lb-ft of torque.

As you may recall, Quattro GmbH director Wener Frowein revealed that the three R8 prototypes that burned to the ground last year were powered by the very same engine. But Hartz told Autocar that the overheating problem was actually solved by using a roof-mounted vent, similar to the one seen on the R8 V12 TDI concept.

It is also being reported that the V10-powered R8 will be dubbed the RS8, which leaves the RS version of the Audi A8 in limbo.

If the twin-turbo R8 has indeed received the green light and this is not just some kind of sick April Fool's Day joke, expect the RS8 to hit the market in mid-2009.

- Leftlanenews.com

:hahahehe:

MPT
April 1st, 2008, 20:11
Same info here: http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080401.017/audi-rs-8-gets-turbo-v10-with-572-bhp

Fantastic news.

Audifan92
April 1st, 2008, 20:11
What do you think the price will be?

MPT
April 1st, 2008, 20:19
BTW. only RS as prefix?

Then what about Skoda Octavia/Fabia RS ?

Audiphile
April 1st, 2008, 20:53
Excellent! Fourtitude.com states the V10 TT will develop 572 bhp with 0-60 in less than 4 secs. That is the way it should be. The TT will be the TTR and not TTRS as Audi uses only the prefix for RS and not the suffix. Fine, TTR sounds much better for a coupe. As for the RS8 in terms of the A8L, Audi stated while back it will never go past the S8. Makes sense. RS is for hard performance and the A8L does not fit properly as a hard performance sports car. MB does it but the car is over the top for a luxury barge and is not very elegant the way an A8L is.

Damienr8
April 1st, 2008, 21:18
According to email that I just received from person who works at quattro Gmbh this Autocar article is pure fantasy...

Agree, i dont see this happening at all.

Leadfoot
April 1st, 2008, 21:48
I wouldn't rule anything out of the equation, VAG is in a very volatile time at the moment and who knows what's round the corner. Best to cover all bases just in case Porsche choice to off-load some brands, maybe Lambo, seat or even Audi.

The Pretender
April 1st, 2008, 21:53
I wouldn't rule anything out of the equation, VAG is in a very volatile time at the moment and who knows what's round the corner. Best to cover all bases just in case Porsche choice to off-load some brands, maybe Lambo, seat or even Audi.
More likely Lambo, Seat and skoda.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
April 1st, 2008, 21:55
I can't see Skoda going, it's performing extremely well at the moment, unlike Seat.

S6driver
April 1st, 2008, 22:16
If this is true and it gets the TT V10, I will definately be holding on to my #6 spot at my dealership for a V10 R8. It may be a while, but the wait will be oh so worth it. I reckon it will be 130K + USD well equiped.

pampas
April 1st, 2008, 22:37
Lambo is performing good too, I mean for them this is the best they did since ever. Audi was the only company that actually got Lambo to make profit, why sell it now?

RXBG
April 2nd, 2008, 00:56
HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY!

come on guys, we should know better.

The RS6
April 2nd, 2008, 08:11
HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY!

come on guys, we should know better.

Don't know if the article is true, but it was published on 31st of March :)

Leadfoot
April 4th, 2008, 15:43
Can't confirm this article for certain but it does look to be the real deal guys. :thumb: Audi are going to use the RS6 in the R8 and finally give it the teeth to see off cars like the GTR.

On another note, does anyone want to start a poll of estimated ring time of this beastie. ;)

I will start the biding at 7:38 :hahahehe:

quattro Gmbh
April 4th, 2008, 17:19
7:37:) (sport auto)

Audiphile
April 4th, 2008, 20:12
7.29:dance:

Z07
April 5th, 2008, 16:55
It should be way faster than 8.5s to 100mph.

tvrfan
April 6th, 2008, 12:32
this car will never happen. porsche influence will let you see.

The Pretender
April 6th, 2008, 14:18
this car will never happen. porsche influence will let you see.
I'm not sure it will not happen.
If it's true there will be no replacement for the R8 why not let it go out with a bang.
Give the car the 5.0 V10 Bi-TFSI and the 6.0 V12 TDI engines.
And the R8 get the credit it deserve and let the car run out of production in a couple of years.
Don't get me wrong, i like the R8 very much but i have never see the use for it with Lamborghini in the same stable and in the future also Porsche.

Jarod.

Charles DLF
April 7th, 2008, 10:13
i think this car gives ALOT of credit to audi in terms of sportyness. Everyone's been banging on the TT because it was not the sports car it should have been, and because people are constantly banging on RS cars, saying that yes they are fast, but not fun enough to drive (None of them have ever driven one!! once they do they change their opinions). So that's what the R8 does to audi, give it the credit it deserves, and puts a new shine on the brand... Therefore i think i agree with Tvrfan, it's a one off, and i agree that audi should make a trully unforgetable car to end the series, whith a V10 TT and a V12 (oh yeah, that's a 2 off)

Z07
April 11th, 2008, 16:50
R8 V10TT would be awesome. No need for a V10 R8 if you have the TT V10. Gallardos will still continue to sell because they are made by Lamborghini. They should go with the twin turbo and forget company politics.
Something tells me that the Gallardo may be getting a V10 TFSI too if this goes ahead. No reason why it can't when you think about it. The potential of a modified version of this engine in an R8 or Gallardo is also an interesting proposition.

RXBG
April 11th, 2008, 18:18
Something tells me that the Gallardo may be getting a V10 TFSI too if this goes ahead. No reason why it can't when you think about it. The potential of a modified version of this engine in an R8 or Gallardo is also an interesting proposition.

it does. and it is called the LP-560. and it will cost north of 200K USD. and it makes 560 hp.

there is no way audi will produce a more powerful, less expensive car than lambo and that leaves a 70K+ pricing gap between it and its base sibling.

could they make a TT V8? maybe. that i can believe.

Z07
April 11th, 2008, 18:47
it does. and it is called the LP-560. and it will cost north of 200K USD. and it makes 560 hp.

there is no way audi will produce a more powerful, less expensive car than lambo and that leaves a 70K+ pricing gap between it and its base sibling.

could they make a TT V8? maybe. that i can believe.

What I'm saying is that the following may happen:

V10 NA Gallardo released ~ $200k
V10 NA R8 released ~ $170k

V10 TT Gallardo released ~ $250k
V10 TT R8 released ~ $220k

RXBG
April 11th, 2008, 19:01
oh. i see. theoretically that structure could work.

my personal opinion is that audi should find a way to install a TT V8 back there. but turbos in a mid engine layout are tough to cool. it would be easier to cool a TT V8 than a TT V10. so i say go for it. i'd say, lower the rpms in the current engine, install two turbos, produce 520 hp and 410 lb/ft of torque, slap on the new quattro, and DSG, and let her rip. that car could pull a 3.5 second 0-60- time and 1/4 mile in 11.2 seconds.

i think my torque estimate could be a bit high for the new DSG. but if it could be installed it would give the GT-R a run for its money. (not that i'd ever buy a DSG unless i absolutely needed it for commuting.)

it might cost 150k USD but it would be sold out. you have current 2009 SL550s running 110K well optioned.

Z07
April 11th, 2008, 20:17
i'd say, lower the rpms in the current engine, install two turbos, produce 520 hp and 410 lb/ft of torque, slap on the new quattro, and DSG, and let her rip. that car could pull a 3.5 second 0-60- time and 1/4 mile in 11.2 seconds.
Interesting but take your Euro-tuning hat off. Why do you want to lower the rpms just because you're fitting turbos? Lots of great engines run to 8200rpm and have turbos.:hahahehe:

I'd go with a 4.2 V8, forged pistons, 8200rpm and 2 IHI RHF55 turbos running a leisurely 0.7bar for 700hp@7800rpm and 550lbft@2800-6000rpm. Inlet air via the roof, cooling air via the side scoops. Then get Porsche to hand you the details of their 959's AWD system....

Wait a minute, I'm telling Audi how to beat the GTR. Shhhh!

Leadfoot
April 11th, 2008, 22:17
Interesting but take your Euro-tuning hat off. Why do you want to lower the rpms just because you're fitting turbos? Lots of great engines run to 8200rpm and have turbos.:hahahehe:

I'd go with a 4.2 V8, forged pistons, 8200rpm and 2 IHI RHF55 turbos running a leisurely 0.7bar for 700hp@7800rpm and 550lbft@2800-6000rpm. Inlet air via the roof, cooling air via the side scoops. Then get Porsche to hand you the details of their 959's AWD system....

Wait a minute, I'm telling Audi how to beat the GTR. Shhhh!

The 959 was only advance at the time, by today's standards it very ordinary at best.

Z07
April 11th, 2008, 22:36
The 959 was only advance at the time, by today's standards it very ordinary at best.
You might want to do some research into the 959 AWD system and then look at the GTR AWD system.

After the 959, Porsche opted to go back to a cheaper, inferior AWD system.

RXBG
April 12th, 2008, 04:51
interesting points Z07. i would have agreed with leadie there for a minute. not familiar with the 959 except it was a helluvacar. though i think your hp and torque estimate with the TT version of the current R8 engine would create an engine that would get too hot even for the extra air intakes and roof scoop, not to mention that it would never get signed off by the marketing department, and more importantly, the porsche group :/

Z07
April 12th, 2008, 16:59
interesting points Z07. i would have agreed with leadie there for a minute. not familiar with the 959 except it was a helluvacar. though i think your hp and torque estimate with the TT version of the current R8 engine would create an engine that would get too hot even for the extra air intakes and roof scoop, not to mention that it would never get signed off by the marketing department, and more importantly, the porsche group :/
That's the beauty of using bigger turbos and lower boost. Heat is less of a problem. If the Veyron can manage 1000bhp running 1.2bar, there must be a way. But then I'm an engineer not an accountant.

OfftheHeZie
April 13th, 2008, 06:04
Veyron also has no engine cover, and 3 radiators out of 10 for cooling the engine. :MTM:

~Mason