PDA

View Full Version : Time for a rotor and pad change. Recommendations?

CornersWell
March 27th, 2008, 02:33
Have searched the archives, and the gist of the majority of the posts have to do with upgrading the calipers, too. I'm just looking to replace the existing rotors and pads with something improved (and or less expensive than stock, which don't seem to last terribly long).

Used only as a daily driver. No tracking. Am quite happy staying with the same size rotors (anyone have the correct dimensions, btw?).

Have emailed StopTech for their advice. Now, I ask yours. Seems like people like the Pagid blue pads. All comments welcome.

Thanks!

CW

LU-RS6
March 27th, 2008, 09:46
I'd recommend OEM perforated discs + pagid blue :thumb:

Marv
March 27th, 2008, 12:57
I'd recommend OEM perforated discs + pagid blue :thumb:

That's what I went for :thumb::thumb: Remember to run them in carefully.

grizz
March 30th, 2008, 18:59
EBC Yellow and vw phaeton brake ducts .

LU-RS6
March 30th, 2008, 19:19
EBC Yellow

What's your experience? I've only heard of the red stuff, not bad but they wear EXTREMELY fast.

grizz
March 30th, 2008, 21:52
Just fitted them , I had red but they lasted 3,000 miles .

Boosted-Bora
March 30th, 2008, 23:27
do the pagid blue pads dust eat threw wheel finish? Also how much dust compared to OEM pads? as I am in the market for new stoppers as well.

CornersWell
April 1st, 2008, 00:03
All,

After having numerous discussions with several different vendors and tuning shops (and hearing your suggestions, of course), the conclusion seems to be stock rotors (as it seems that nobody is manufacturing any upgraded or different rotors in the correct size) and aftermarket pads. I've heard that the stock pads are "pretty aggressive", but some of the aftermarket pads are even more aggressive and will eat rotors. So, if you're looking for more rotor life, we're limited.

I've got a tuner shop that is quoting me $1,450 for the rotors, pads (OEM) and labor, which seems to be about 25% less than the dealer. It's not a difficult job, but I don't have the tools or time to monkey about with it. I'm reasonably pleased with that. They can save me a bit of money with the aftermarket pads, which are about $250 less than stock and will provide better longevity. However, I'm inclined to just stick with stock. Somewhat disappointed, as I had wanted to improve the set up for better life, but I am generally pleased with the stock pad/rotor performance, so I'm reasonably happy with the result. Seems it's hard to improve this set up without really going to a bigger brake kit, btw.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

CW

DuckWingDuck
April 1st, 2008, 00:20
CW - That $1450, is that for each?

CornersWell
April 1st, 2008, 00:55
IIRC (and I didn't take copious notes), that included all rotors replaced with OEM stock, new OEM stock pads on all 4 corners and labor. IIRC, the stock front rotors are $450 each at the dealer, but they'll order directly from Brembo.

The aftermarket pads they suggested were approximately $200 v. stock $450 for the set.

Labor was 3-4 hours at $110/hr.

Again, my recollection could be off, but the quote was $1,450 was with OEM stock pads.

CW

DuckWingDuck
April 1st, 2008, 02:01
damn, $1450 for an entire set with rotors is a real nice price! On the brake dust issue, man, it is a BIG problem. Friggin' seems like I'm washing my car every couple of days because my front rims are like black.

CornersWell
April 1st, 2008, 03:12
You can always powder coat the rims flat black! Goes with the territory.

CW

mmaturo
April 1st, 2008, 04:08
I gained freedom when I bought the titanium finish 19"s....no more need to wash the car every other day. I am about to put the EBC yellows back on again but for track use. They work well and less squeak after the fact. At $130 a set I will continue to use them as seem to be about as durable as the stock pads at 1/3 the price.

DuckWingDuck
April 1st, 2008, 04:59
mmaturo - you do the pad replacements yourself? And where do you get them?

mmaturo
April 1st, 2008, 05:19
I had a friend help me (read into this that he did it for me) but yes. Not hard really. The EBC yellows I ordered on line from Perfectbrakes.com. They work great. For install my friend needed to dremel around the indention in the pad that goes around the posts as it didn't quite fit/snap on without removing a little material.

DuckWingDuck
April 1st, 2008, 05:50
and you've found that the yellowstuff wears about the same as OEM?

mmaturo
April 1st, 2008, 05:56
Well sort of. It does on the track. But when OEM lasts 10K for me but costs $360 I will still be ahead with two or three sets of the yellows. But side benefits are that it was less squeaky (by far) and does have less dust. I am more likely to cough up $130 for new pads any given month than one big hunk for the OEM pads so to me I am OK with them. To answer your question I have not used them just for street so I am not sure about how long they would last under normal driving but since I am hard on my brakes on the street I do not get long life out of any pad.

peiserg
April 1st, 2008, 06:43
Jimmy stoner from this board has custom slotted rotors on his fronts. The advantage was that the rotor can separate from the hat, therefore on the next rotor change, you save about 200 bucks per rotor... $800! I saw them with my own eyes, on his vehicle.

Boosted-Bora
April 1st, 2008, 15:39
I am running EBC Reds F&R and I like them but I had to Dremel the mounting point on the pad as well. I plan on switching to Pagid Blues with a new set of OEM rotors.

DuckWingDuck
April 1st, 2008, 18:46
Big Drew, where'd you get the red stuff? Looks like it's got light dusting...

Boosted-Bora
April 1st, 2008, 20:39
I got them from Buybrakes.com and the dusting is a bit lighter then stock but not by a lot although the bite is a lot more aggresive

pcjr
April 4th, 2008, 02:12
Hi guys-

My first post here after receiving a call from my dealer today. My RS6
has 33k miles and I am being told that I need a second set of front pads and rotors. The original lasted 19k miles and I am just dumbfounded that
the life of these parts is this short.

From what I am reading here, the Pagid blue pads with stock rotors seems to be a popular solution. Where are you purchasing these parts from, pads and rotors?

TIA,
Pete

DuckWingDuck
April 4th, 2008, 02:22
Pete, it's a performance car, 19k seems to be about the average to slightly higher than average

pcjr
April 4th, 2008, 02:30
Thanks for the quick response. 19K was on the originals
only 14K on the second set. Performance car or not, in my mind, this is pretty poor performance for a daily driver.

DuckWingDuck
April 4th, 2008, 02:57
heh, that's the price you pay for performance.

BLITZEN
April 4th, 2008, 05:19
Price you pay for performance?! B.S. There's no reason the brakes on our cars shouldn't last as long as those on an A6 other than driving style. And, there's no reason for rotors to have to be replaced after 14k miles unless there was some sort of misfunction.

You're kidding yourself if you think this car is some sort of exotic. It's nice, but not a Lamborgini.

LU-RS6
April 4th, 2008, 13:16
Rotors gone after 19K means you are using the brake too often, or your garage is telling stories.

I think I average about 10K miles with pads and about 30K with rotors. And I'm driving track + heavy autobahn usage (brakes don't like multiple stops from 280km/h+ to 120km/h)

DuckWingDuck
April 4th, 2008, 18:27
hmm, my bad, all this time I ws thinking abotu pads, not rotors. Ya, rotors going at 19k seems a bit quick. Pads at 19k is "normal".

pcjr
April 4th, 2008, 18:42
IIRC (and I didn't take copious notes), that included all rotors replaced with OEM stock, new OEM stock pads on all 4 corners and labor. IIRC, the stock front rotors are $450 each at the dealer, but they'll order directly from Brembo.

The aftermarket pads they suggested were approximately $200 v. stock $450 for the set.

Labor was 3-4 hours at $110/hr.

Again, my recollection could be off, but the quote was $1,450 was with OEM stock pads.

CW
Did you have the work done yet?
Would you mind telling us who you are using for the parts?
Thanks