PDA

View Full Version : Suspension system for the RS5

Leadfoot
March 21st, 2008, 00:12
I thought I would start a poll early so that Audi can gauge what the enthusiasts like us would want the RS5 to has as it's suspension.

A list of four options have been provided, please choose one and if possible a reason for you choice, after all this is to aid Audi's development. :D

pampas
March 21st, 2008, 00:40
I only know I loved the way the new TT and the R8 felt on the track, compared to all other Audi cars (new or old). So I hope by choosing MagneticRide in your poll I am making the choice I drove.

Hopefully Audi will use the best option for the RS5 and STOP making any kind of compromises. We need a lighter car with better dynamics, Audi should stop messing the game up here or there. No complains about the current/expired RS4 but the new RS6 doesn't give me any bumps ...

artur777
March 21st, 2008, 01:53
pampas - agree with you

My vote is for DRCIII- this is the most effecient system Audi has up-to-date.
It proved to be very effective in new RS6.
So let's us wait and see;-)

Leadfoot - BTW, what is your vision?
Tell us please - the poll is a public one:-)

The Pretender
March 21st, 2008, 06:11
DRCIII with out a doubt.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
March 21st, 2008, 11:06
I think I will hold off voting for a little longer. ;)

Rage
March 21st, 2008, 12:27
If someone can explain the difference...merits and drawbacks of each system...ill make an informed choice:)

artur777
March 21st, 2008, 13:58
DRCIII with out a doubt.

Jarod.

+1. :race: :race: :race:

Leadfoot
March 21st, 2008, 14:45
If someone can explain the difference...merits and drawbacks of each system...ill make an informed choice:)

Springs/dampers - When setup correctly can offer the best in both feel and balance but can't allow for the variations in road conditions and driving requirements eg. ride comfort.

DRCIII - Works with the dampers oil supply being joined diagonally (Front left with Rear right and vice versa), this allows for both dive and squat while you accelerate and brake plus lean into corners under heavy cornering. It also allows for the basics suspension setup to be a little bit softer which improves ride comfort. DRCIII plus offers 3 setting (comfort, normal and dynamic) whether this would be offered in the RS5 if it came in unknown.

MagneticRide - Magnetic particles in the dampers which restrict the movement of the oil when a current is added, it has to most accurate suspension control but is also the most expensive.

Air suspension - Usually offer the biggest adjustment in ride height and can when tuned correctly offer the most comfort but ultimately can't control the body movement anything like as well as the others.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Rage
March 21st, 2008, 16:07
Springs/dampers - When setup correctly can offer the best in both feel and balance but can't allow for the variations in road conditions and driving requirements eg. ride comfort.

DRCIII - Works with the dampers oil supply being joined diagonally (Front left with Rear right and vice versa), this allows for both dive and squat while you accelerate and brake plus lean into corners under heavy cornering. It also allows for the basics suspension setup to be a little bit softer which improves ride comfort. DRCIII plus offers 3 setting (comfort, normal and dynamic) whether this would be offered in the RS5 if it came in unknown.

MagneticRide - Magnetic particles in the dampers which restrict the movement of the oil when a current is added, it has to most accurate suspension control but is also the most expensive.

Air suspension - Usually offer the biggest adjustment in ride height and can when tuned correctly offer the most comfort but ultimately can't control the body movement anything like as well as the others.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

Thanks....in that case..i choose Magnetic ride. Seems to work well in TT/Ferrari/Corvette and have read about DRC failures in previous RS6.
Magnetic ride seems less 'mechanical' so perhaps the most reliable/best adaptive method?

Leadfoot
March 21st, 2008, 16:32
Thanks....in that case..i choose Magnetic ride. Seems to work well in TT/Ferrari/Corvette and have read about DRC failures in previous RS6.
Magnetic ride seems less 'mechanical' so perhaps the most reliable/best adaptive method?

Agreed but when a shock does go the price is something like £450 each.:MTM:

Personally I believe there is still life in the old DRC technology and when you look at the transformation that was made in both the RS4 and RS6Mk2 compared to their respective S models which make me think that Quattro understand this system.........very well. ;)

P.S.
Don't think of the DRCIII as the same as the DRC in the old RS6, it's a lot better a system. :thumb:

P.S.2

Either way MagneticRide or DRCIII, you can't really go wrong.

Benman
March 21st, 2008, 18:43
My vote: DRCIII, Audi will eventually work out all the bugs... :D

Ben:addict:

Marv
March 21st, 2008, 21:22
DRC definitely - was fantastic in the RS4 and this iteration looks like being even better

pampas
March 22nd, 2008, 17:35
DRC definitely - was fantastic in the RS4 and this iteration looks like being even better

Can't say the RS4 wasn't a great drive on the track, but the R8 felt much more glued on. I didn't feel any body roll, any leaning on the side in the R8, basically when on Sport setting it was like a brick, but still comfortable (I only drove it hard on the track). Jumping from the RS4 right into the R8 it felt as a huge difference in the suspension setup resulting in more grip. Sorry if I offend anyone but the RS4 was great only when not compared to the R8 (suspension wise). The RS4 was leaning forward on hard brake, was leaning backward on heavy acc and leaning sideways on each turn at the limit. Still very easy to control to car, but again, it's hard to forget the R8. I know the times on the track are not far off, but I loved the feeling of the magnetic ride much more than the RS4 setup.

If the price of magnetic ride is a problem I think Audi should let the buyer choose, just present 3 options the RS5: standard suspension, DRC and Magnetic. Price the options properly and that's it.

Leadfoot
March 22nd, 2008, 21:56
pampas,

It's not so much that MagneticRide is that much better than DRC, it the basic chassis balance that makes the R8 so impressive. When most of the weight is over the rear the nose will automatically be less inclined to either dip or lean. DRCIII is a brilliant system and when combined with a lighter chassis it too would be just as amazing, just think what it's doing for the big, heavy RS6 as an example.

As for offering more than one option, either DRC or MagneticRide or both, I personally doubt that would be possible on such a low volume run like the RS5. The development work and expense in designing two/three options would be huge, better to concentrate on one option and get it right. :thumb:

Would you think it wise to offer three transmission options, manual, automatic and S-Tronic. :vhmmm: Nope, me neither.

Rage
March 22nd, 2008, 21:59
pampas,

It's not so much that MagneticRide is that much better than DRC, it the basic chassis balance that makes the R8 so impressive. When most of the weight is over the rear the nose will automatically be less inclined to either dip or lean. DRCIII is a brilliant system and when combined with a lighter chassis it too would be just as amazing, just think what it's doing for the big, heavy RS6 as an example.

As for offering more than one option, either DRC or MagneticRide or both, I personally doubt that would be possible on such a low volume run like the RS5. The development work and expense in designing two/three options would be huge, better to concentrate on one option and get it right. :thumb:

Would you think it wise to offer three transmission options, manual, automatic and S-Tronic. :vhmmm: Nope, me neither.

Id have thought they would offer S tronic and manual.

Leadfoot
March 22nd, 2008, 22:07
Id have thought they would offer S tronic and manual.

That's my point, there would be no need to offer an automatic when they would already be offering the S-Tronic, in the same way one suspension option on top of the stock coil/damper setup would be the only requirement, not two types.

pampas
March 22nd, 2008, 22:35
That's my point, there would be no need to offer an automatic when they would already be offering the S-Tronic, in the same way one suspension option on top of the stock coil/damper setup would be the only requirement, not two types.

My point was to offer more than one suspension setup if PRICE is substantially higher. Maybe in the case of RS5 it doesn't matter, not for a car $70k +, but if Magnetic Ride is like 5k more it may be like an option to add/replace the DRC (if you like it and can afford it). So, standard suspension $$$, DRC would be $$$+2000$ and MagRide $$$+5000$. Like they give you good brakes but they also offer ceramic brakes (for an extra tons of $). They can't offer only ceramic because of the price. Too much even for the RS4/R8 to include in the standard package.

Heck, just forget everything I wrote :)
Audi should use their heads and offer the BEST setup for transmision for the RS5!!! They should know which one is that after testing the car and that's it!!!

crespo
March 25th, 2008, 23:09
I really like the air suspension, but it's best suited to bigger cars (I love it in the S8). DRC, while good, is a bit of an awkward solution in my book (why doesn't anyone else use it? Audi patent?) and I've read it makes the rear end a little nervous, although it does do a great job in the RS4. Magnetic ride is a proven technology that works wonders, especially seeing as other manufacturers are using it.

MagneticRide FTW!

Hy Octane
March 25th, 2008, 23:17
Whichever one works for longer than a few months without needing to be replaced. For that matter, its more about techs not knowing how to repair the things rather than the component failures. I vote for better tech training.

pampas
March 26th, 2008, 04:28
Whichever one works for longer than a few months without needing to be replaced. For that matter, its more about techs not knowing how to repair the things rather than the component failures. I vote for better tech training.

There is no such option in the poll :hihi:

Marv
March 26th, 2008, 10:25
Does anyone know it there is a weight limit for Audi's magnetic dampers? The R8 and TT are lighter cars than the RS5 will be. No magnetic ride for the RS6 - was it just too frickin heavy?

Leadfoot
March 26th, 2008, 13:06
Does anyone know it there is a weight limit for Audi's magnetic dampers? The R8 and TT are lighter cars than the RS5 will be. No magnetic ride for the RS6 - was it just too frickin heavy?

I don't believe that weight was the issue with the RS6, cost was the big concern. The RS6 will have a lot shorter of a production cycle than any future RS model.

Whether this means that the RS5 will get MagneticRide suspension is unknown, but lets no dismiss DRCIII, it really is something else and a lot better than both the original system from the RS6 Mk1 and the RS4.

P.S.

I believe MagneticRide is quite a bit lighter than DRC but don't know this for sure.

pampas
April 1st, 2008, 02:09
I don't believe that weight was the issue with the RS6, cost was the big concern. The RS6 will have a lot shorter of a production cycle than any future RS model.

I really don't get it, why is Audi only producing super cars of soon to be old models? (Except R8!!!)

So, the RS4 was a powerfull and new car for what, 2-3 years? Not it's only about power, doesn't look that new with the B8 out (not just my opinion, any magazine will say the same)
The RS6 will have a lifespam of no more than 2 years again, and then they will start with a new A6.
MB and BMW start with their base model and quickly add the M/AMG cars. That way, people can fully enjoy their cars for the longest time possible before a new model kicks in.

WHY?!
Pls people, don't give me the "they don't get old, it's a super car" stuff, M3 and C63 are in the same league as the RS4 and their fans don't have to wait up to 4-5 years for the TOP!

The only thing were Audi didn't mess up like that was with the R8, but that doesn't count, since it doesn't have any regular model to start from.

I really hope Audi will change this ideea they have: because it's special, it can be old?! I don't need a new car for other people, but for me. I don't care if other people like my car or not, but I care if I feel that there is a nicer Audi car, but I can't get it cause it's only 250hp. Heck, competitors know better, I think.