PDA

View Full Version : M3 vs S5 - S5 wins?

HKS786
March 12th, 2008, 23:09
I dont see these as rivals but Leftlanenews posted a comparison:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/review-audi-s5.html (http://www.leftlanenews.com/review-audi-s5.html)

Bottom line

Having driven the M3 only a few weeks ago, we couldn’t help drawing some comparisons. On the whole, these cars both get their owners to the same fun-driving goals, but they accomplish that in very different ways.

The M3 is slightly more attractive on the exterior, but the interior colors and style of the S5 are definitely more pleasing. It makes you feel good just to sit in this car, even though the BMW engineers would argue that all those colors and textures will take your mind off your driving.

The M3 can get you from zero to sixty a few tenths of a tick faster than the S5, but the M3 does it at higher rpm, so you always seem to be working harder for the same reward. On corners, especially on the track, the M3’s technology will get an average driver around the corner as fast as a better driver can do it in an S5, but when with a little practice, you can make the Audi perform just as well, the achievement feels more satisfying.

To put the comparison into perspective, if we were offered a choice between the two cars, we’d have to flip a coin to make our choice, and wouldn’t be unhappy with heads or tails. On the other hand, in the real world of real buyers, where we’re hearing reports of dealers adding as much as $30,000 of “market adjustment fees” to the price of the M3, the choice may be easier.

Thrives
March 12th, 2008, 23:21
Good one ...

A very strong feather for the S5 I think. Audi definitely seems to have made a small masterpiece with the new platform. As regards to the engines I concur with the authors although this is very much a question of taste. I also tend to like grunty low-end engines but this is also a bit of a fluke comparison I guess since the S5 is not exactly a low-rpm dud. The M3 though obviously lives when it is driven to the max and this is where we once again have the difference between the two brands.

HKS786
March 12th, 2008, 23:55
Good one ...

A very strong feather for the S5 I think. Audi definitely seems to have made a small masterpiece with the new platform. As regards to the engines I concur with the authors although this is very much a question of taste. I also tend to like grunty low-end engines but this is also a bit of a fluke comparison I guess since the S5 is not exactly a low-rpm dud. The M3 though obviously lives when it is driven to the max and this is where we once again have the difference between the two brands.

If this is their opinion, I wonder what they would think of an RS5 with the RS4 engine. It will have slightly less torque but much more power and will rev harder.

Just a thought, I'm not saying Audi will put the RS4 engine into the RS5 but I'm just making a comment on that engine because it's older than the M3 engine ;)

Leadfoot
March 13th, 2008, 17:35
Great result, wouldn't totally agree with them but it depends on whether this $30K mark up is swaying their decision, chances are it is.

Remember I have driven both and though the S5 does match or better the M3 on somethings it doesn't on the real areas of importance like outright performance and entertainment, if these areas weren't that important then the S5 would be even better than the RS4 which it isn't. Also ride quality is better in the M3 (admittedly with electronic dampers) but when you do consider the price difference the S5 puts in a bloody good show of itself and is in no way disgraced.

artur777
March 13th, 2008, 22:54
Waiting for RS5 next July - this will be a complete masterpiece.
S5 is underpowered and not that advanced.
RS5 will be a mix of new A5 platform and RS technologies - this will be a real bargain!

ge_soeren
March 23rd, 2008, 18:19
Yeah the rs5 will be a real masterpiece but i don't think that the s5 is underpowered....
i heard that the rs5 will get a 435hp V8 engine. am i right or are there any other information?

funky
March 25th, 2008, 18:47
good write up, however i never liked bwm exteriors but that's my humble opinion just like the author's

MPT
March 25th, 2008, 19:06
The GT-look of the A5 exterior is without doubt better looking (i know this is my subjective opinion, but it's just so obvious to me - the 3-series isn't a real coupé to me, the 6-series though, is a totally different story - a real GT like the A5/S5-series).

As for the performance, withour having tried the new M3 at a track or something like that, i'm sure when being pushed to the extreme it performes a bit better (or faster, that is).

I just know that i would never take RWD over quattro, just to get those few tenths of a second on a race track. The secure feeling of quattro, you will never get in a BMW, i'm quite sure of that.

The S5 being underpowered? I don't think so. In everyday life it's just as fast as an RS4 or M3 - low grunt, the thing I like, and wouldn't swich for a 8500rpm screamer.
S5 not as intelligent as RS 5 ? Hmm... :nono: In what way?

Anyways, i'm sure RS5 will be THE benchmark for performance in all ways.

El_cucaracha
March 27th, 2008, 11:31
how can u be sure that RS5 will be a masterpiece? for me the new RS6 is a dissapointment, i thought it would be a rocket, i thought that 4.6seconds were fake, and that figgures were underated... i'm ont even sure that it will be faster than M5 or AMG....

if RS5 will get RS4 engine than it won't be able to match M3, or merc...