PDA

View Full Version : RS6 vs. M6

Boosted-Bora
March 8th, 2008, 16:14
Well the other day I was coming from meeting a friend at a local coffe shop here in MD and as I was about tio enter the highway on the way home an M6 is coming off the ramp and get right in front of me I was like "damn im bout to get on and he just got off" my friend was with me in his Kleemann Built CLK55 I guess the guy in the M6 notice because he stayed in the lane and got right back on the highway with us :hahahehe: I was sooo happy.

I pulled up next to him gave him the thumbs up at this time noticed it had exhaust and it was lowered. He in return gave me the thumbs down (fuckin dick BMW driver:lovl: JK) so I down shifted then he did and floored it (car sounded amazing) I immediatly floored it as well he got the jump on me at about 40-45 MPH but I began to catch up with my buddie in the Kleemann trying no to rear end me....LOL

at about 55-60 I pulled even with him and then around 100 MPH I had about 3 car lengths car on him at about 150ish (MPH) when we let off i was in front of him by about 2 car lengths:thumb:

:TRUE STORY and I have people that can vouch:

Mods are

Dahlback Intakes
Dahlback Diverters
Milltek Exhaust (non-res)
Custom Unitronic tune :bow: :rs6kiss:

AndyBG
March 8th, 2008, 17:56
With outcome like this, I don't question is it true or not! :D

:cheers:

iLoveRWD
March 8th, 2008, 19:42
yes, all BMW drivers are a-holes, but then you woke up and realized it was all a dream.

pampas
March 8th, 2008, 19:53
yes, all BMW drivers are a-holes, but then you woke up and realized it was all a dream.

at least, in his case, what the M6 guy did was rude; I never got tumbds down from any evo/corvette/mb/subaru/gto etc ... altough I was smoked bad a few times by those cars ....

why ruin a nice experience? it's stupid what he did; end of story.

go back to your 335i forum and don't write stupid stuff here.

Audiphile
March 8th, 2008, 20:45

Actually, no, you woke up and realized that you were the a-hole in both your dreams and in reality. As the facts read:

If all BMW drivers are a-holes; And
since you drive a BMW
Then...well you know the rest.

As Pampas stated so eloquently, go back to you 318t forum until you can afford an Audi.

Boosted-Bora
March 8th, 2008, 22:32

you know your a fucking ass bro just leave and go about your business what please do you get form coming on this board and being a dick :doh:

Rutkowsky
March 8th, 2008, 22:40
Drew, i have to say that i find it very hard to believe that M6 lost to slightly modified RS6. M6 is capable of 204 mph and gets there very quick too. 0-100mph in 9.9s and 0-124 in 12.5s so can your RS6 better this? But it is not to say, that i don't believe you in what happened that night

Boosted-Bora
March 8th, 2008, 23:10
Drew, i have to say that i find it very hard to believe that M6 lost to slightly modified RS6. M6 is capable of 204 mph and gets there very quick too. 0-100mph in 9.9s and 0-124 in 12.5s so can your RS6 better this? But it is not to say, that i don't believe you in what happened that night

Yeah man I know the M6 is balls fast but I have withnesses and I am willing to do it again actually I would liketo do it again and see what happens I will hopefully be running a E60 M5 that is a buddy of mine and we will see what happens. I am sure my RS6 is capable of 200+ MPH as it sits. I did 185MPH last night on the way home and it was still pulling steadily....

Bottom line we will see

gjg
March 9th, 2008, 03:08
I am sure my RS6 is capable of 200+ MPH as it sits. I did 185MPH last night on the way home and it was still pulling steadily....

Bottom line we will see

get a GPS and real measurements - speedo on rs6 is a bit optimistic (10% or so minimum at top speeds)....

I also suggest you check the Nardo tests to see how MTM RS6 did there - and rest assured that was professional setup, not someone reqriting the software....:idea:

gjg
March 9th, 2008, 03:19
Yeah man I know the M6 is balls fast but I have withnesses and I am willing to do it again actually I would liketo do it again and see what happens I will hopefully be running a E60 M5 that is a buddy of mine and we will see what happens.

Rutkowsky is right .... with the right driver in the other car you're gone. Just because you got lucky with most likely incompetent driver does not mean anything.

I've had the opportunity to run with M5 and M6 on autobahn few times and it is not always win win situation ... :nono:

Rutkowsky
March 9th, 2008, 08:47
Here's good one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O89UWHnFUl0

Spidercat
March 9th, 2008, 08:52
Nice kill, Drew! And he actually went out of his way to get humiliated! Guess it was a long(er) drive home for him. And what's with the thumbs down crap? What a jerk! Too funny.

Contrary to what other's have suggested, I don't think the M6 driver's "ability" (or lack there of) had much to do with it. Pushing down the accelerator pedal in a relatively straight line isn't that challenging now is it? No, I think it was a clean "kill" indeed.

Guess you got that chip just in time! Just curious, are you running 93 Octane? I got the Revo chip a month or so ago, and love it. It felt like night and day compared with stock the RS6, which felt like night and day compared with my previous cars. Last week, I switched to the "race fuel" program (turns the boost and timing all the way up) and there has been yet another paradigm shift- it's again night and day from the "standard" chip. Didn't dyno it yet but I may not. Butt dyno is impressed enough, and that's all that needs to be. I can't ever go back to the 92/93 octane again. I'm addicted!

By the way, did you notice any improvement with the Dahlback intakes only? I've been thinking of getting those for a while, but for about 2 grand, don't know if it would be worth it. pm me if you like.
Great story by the way!

Ruergard
March 9th, 2008, 11:29
Well the other day I was coming from meeting a friend at a local coffe shop here in MD and as I was about tio enter the highway on the way home an M6 is coming off the ramp and get right in front of me I was like "damn im bout to get on and he just got off" my friend was with me in his Kleemann Built CLK55 I guess the guy in the M6 notice because he stayed in the lane and got right back on the highway with us :hahahehe: I was sooo happy.

I pulled up next to him gave him the thumbs up at this time noticed it had exhaust and it was lowered. He in return gave me the thumbs down (fuckin dick BMW driver:lovl: JK) so I down shifted then he did and floored it (car sounded amazing) I immediatly floored it as well he got the jump on me at about 40-45 MPH but I began to catch up with my buddie in the Kleemann trying no to rear end me....LOL

at about 55-60 I pulled even with him and then around 100 MPH I had about 3 car lengths car on him at about 150ish (MPH) when we let off i was in front of him by about 2 car lengths:thumb:

:TRUE STORY and I have people that can vouch:

Mods are

Dahlback Intakes
Dahlback Diverters
Milltek Exhaust (non-res)
Custom Unitronic tune :bow: :rs6kiss:

Can't understand that thumbs down thing.. why?! We all love cars right? :nono: :doh:

Nice kill though! But I have some doubts about it being done with an healthy M6 giving it all. After what I've seen before it's seems weird. But no doubt in you or your car, but I'd love to see a video against that M5 E60 and your beast! :addict:

absent
March 9th, 2008, 14:37
M6 ,when properly set up and properly driven is untouchable at high speeds not only by RS6 but any AMG also (65 series has hard time with it, too).
Even Ferrari 430 has to be driven at max effort to avoid total humiliation.
That said,there are a lot of M cars driven by diletantes who either don't know how or are not able to fully take advantage of their cars.
Ms are just not as simple as RS or AMG to drive REALLY FAST.....

cornishmoocher
March 9th, 2008, 15:09
Please dont take this comment as a BMW Bashing, becuase it isn't. The M6 is a great car (But too complicated for a simple cornish boy like me!) and we all know VERY QUICK.

BUT.........

Not wishing to be contentious, but a standard 430 is in EVERY way a quicker car than an M6, it is the only car that will remotely give a Lotus exige a run for its money in the twisty bits, and sure there are faster cars in the straigtaway than a 430, but not a bog standard M6.:vhmmm:

The 430 is a different beast a different league if you like, a de-limited m6 will I no doubt do 200+mph, but a 430 will do that and more out of the box, I have a buddy who races them, and i went in one once, never again, it was terrifying, tweeked the 430 is like NOTHING i have ever been in.

When driving any car at anything like toppo whack, maximum effort is always required, as at 170mph a twitch of the wheel is the difference between a straight line and an extra 1/4 mile around a bend that isn't there!

My old 348 would have been in trouble against the m6 tho:D

Leadfoot
March 9th, 2008, 15:59
M6 ,when properly set up and properly driven is untouchable at high speeds not only by RS6 but any AMG also (65 series has hard time with it, too).

Now come on here, I reckon you must be taking the piss. A SL65 will destroy an M6, especially as the speed moves into three figures and the big Merc can use all of it's mighty torque to the full.

cornishmoocher
March 9th, 2008, 16:05
Now come on here, I reckon you must be taking the piss. A SL65 will destroy an M6, especially as the speed moves into three figures and the big Merc can use all of it's mighty torque to the full.

Kinda what I was thinking, but being a newbie, didnt want to say too much :D

Rutkowsky
March 9th, 2008, 16:37
Back to that "thumbs down Jerk"..if he only had any idea how to drive that M6! I have M3 SMG and it took me a while to know when to upshift (listnening to engine sound) without having to look at revs. A newbe in a powerful M6, won't be able to get the most out of it.
I am sorry Drew, i know you are for real (unlike some here) so will believe what happened but propely driven M6.. no contest.

I'll post this link again just to make my point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O89UWHnFUl0

cornishmoocher
March 9th, 2008, 17:00
Back to that "thumbs down Jerk"..if he only had any idea how to drive that M6! I have M3 SMG and it took me a while to know when to upshift (listnening to engine sound) without having to look at revs. A newbe in a powerful M6, won't be able to get the most out of it.
I am sorry Drew, i know you are for real (unlike some here) so will believe what happened but propely driven M6.. no contest.

I'll post this link again just to make my point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O89UWHnFUl0

Shit, that is one quick car. :applause:
Kellener?? not familliar with that tunimg house, obviously know there stuff. what sort of power would that thing have?

Boosted-Bora
March 9th, 2008, 17:27

Thanks for the complement and no offense taken to anyone elses comments.....But poeple fail to realize that the iDrive is the hardest thing to use in the histroy of man and I am not doubting that the driver didnt know how to really drive the car but who knows.

Cant wait to dyno:applause:

cornishmoocher
March 9th, 2008, 17:59
The idrive, like i said, to complimicated for me, I am just a Thick Cornish boy, I dont want eleventyseven gear change options or be able to choose how many squigly's the engine produces, just push the go knob and, well, go!
Thats one reason why I bought an RS6, the organic lump at the end of the throtle doesn't need to be a brain surgeon to make it mush mush!

Drew, I only know of you of what i have read here, and i say good on ya bro, it does not matter whos car is the fastest (sort of) but who crosses the line first mate, and that was you. M6 done and dusted. End of story.
Well done:applause:

Now i wait for my revenge on that F*ckin 456!!:burnout:

mmaturo
March 9th, 2008, 18:25
It does happen as I have taken an M5 3 lights in a row in 0-60 runs (and another one in a one light run)...clean launch on my end means I 'win'. Also have engaged M6 on highway and caught him, kept up easily till traffic stopped the fun. He was trying at full throttle as I could clearly hear it. I think it is certainly up to the driver in any situation like these. Same reason I can run over/catch and pass Porsche Turbos on the track, their drivers simply don't know their cars well yet to get the most out of it.

Boosted-Bora
March 9th, 2008, 19:06
The idrive, like i said, to complimicated for me, I am just a Thick Cornish boy, I dont want eleventyseven gear change options or be able to choose how many squigly's the engine produces, just push the go knob and, well, go!
Thats one reason why I bought an RS6, the organic lump at the end of the throtle doesn't need to be a brain surgeon to make it mush mush!

Drew, I only know of you of what i have read here, and i say good on ya bro, it does not matter whos car is the fastest (sort of) but who crosses the line first mate, and that was you. M6 done and dusted. End of story.
Well done:applause:

Now i wait for my revenge on that F*ckin 456!!:burnout:

Thanks mate and agree I just wantt one maybe 2 settings not 5 billion different ones :noshake: none the less as mmaturo said its all about driving skill and experience with your car.

cornishmoocher
March 9th, 2008, 19:19
Absolutely right, and with experience comes confidence, confidence to keep your foot in just that 1/4 second longer, hold off the stoppers just that little bit, and to turn in when others would say, "shit we are dead spread all over that wall"

iLoveRWD
March 9th, 2008, 19:41
you know your a fucking ass bro just leave and go about your business what please do you get form coming on this board and being a dick :doh:

^^^ Now we know why you got the thumbs down from that "a-hole" BMW driver.
Sounds like he wasn't the only a-hole in that picture.

iLoveRWD
March 9th, 2008, 19:43
at least, in his case, what the M6 guy did was rude; I never got tumbds down from any evo/corvette/mb/subaru/gto etc ... altough I was smoked bad a few times by those cars ....

why ruin a nice experience? it's stupid what he did; end of story.

go back to your 335i forum and don't write stupid stuff here.

Why is it stupid? Maybe that was his opinion on Audis!! :hahahehe:
He is entitled to his opinion.

cornishmoocher
March 9th, 2008, 19:46
Thread ruined....again

Boosted-Bora
March 9th, 2008, 19:49
^^^ Now we know why you got the thumbs down from that "a-hole" BMW driver.
Sounds like he wasn't the only a-hole in that picture.

anyone who knows me will tell you im far from an asshole but hey bro its up to you what you think and your childish e-thug posts are very unwelcome in this forum

cornishmoocher
March 9th, 2008, 20:03
Well said Drew,
My old grandad used to say " better let people think you are a twat than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" Very apt in this instance mate, a bit like a fly, if you ignore it will soon bugger off.

iLoveRWD
March 9th, 2008, 20:18
anyone who knows me will tell you im far from an asshole but hey bro its up to you what you think and your childish e-thug posts are very unwelcome in this forum

You are too sensitive, "bro". It's just a car and I was just joking. No need to take such offense just because someone gave you the thumbs down or because I asked you if you were dreaming. This is the internet. Don't take it too seriously.

On the other hand, if I was to take offense everytime my friend "pampas" on this forum talked bad about my car and BMW's in general....I would have probably ended up killing my self by now. :doh:

Enjoy your car!

Boosted-Bora
March 9th, 2008, 20:49
You are too sensitive, "bro". It's just a car and I was just joking. No need to take such offense just because someone gave you the thumbs down or because I asked you if you were dreaming. This is the internet. Don't take it too seriously.

On the other hand, if I was to take offense everytime my friend "pampas" on this forum talked bad about my car and BMW's in general....I would have probably ended up killing my self by now. :doh:

Enjoy your car!

No offense ever taken just dont like people who waste time so why be the "cool guy" on the web just chill out and enjoy the boards

absent
March 9th, 2008, 21:13
No kidding here,at high speeds (over 120mph) you will walk away from stock M6 but that "walk" is just that ,a walk not a run.
That's why I said "hard time".....

chutia
March 9th, 2008, 21:19
Interesting discussions re the RS6 v an M6 or AMG's. I've owned an RS6 (unmodded), and currently own both a 06 CLS55AMG and 07 M5, so I have some basis for comparison from actual ownership. All my cars are factory standard, unmodded. Simple fact: while the RS6 launches like a catapult (Quattro) and is fabulous, it simply will not beat either of the other 2 cars, 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, unless it's raining, then the RS6 will take them both.
Sorry, that's just a fact, jack, based upon ownership of all three personally.
Just my $0.02.:D

pampas
March 9th, 2008, 21:51
Why is it stupid? Maybe that was his opinion on Audis!! :hahahehe:
He is entitled to his opinion.

Maybe? Maybe his wife cheated on him; maybe he was crazy; or maybe he is just like any other BMW fan(not talking about u) ...

Maybe not stupid, but .. hey, whoever gives me the tumbs down for no reason is a messed up guy. If I see a nice/powerfull car I do respect it, altough it seems (in this case) the M6 is so hard to drive that even in straight line people have problems using the full potential. Of course, on a circuit it would be 10x harder. So, you see why I love Audi and why I think BMW and/or RWD is not a good thing for a daily car. Yeah, if you are a pro. racer on a closed circuit u do what u want, but on the street ...

And, reading the other comments... how hard can it be to floor the gas? In a straight line? Maybe it's more complicated than I realize now, but ... if soo ... M6 is not a properly built car. But I am sure I would be able to press the gas pedal and shift properly .. at least on an empty straight line :)

To go back to the tumbs down .. you can call it what u want, but it's a mood killer; it's always a nice feeling to race someone (safely), but I would never race a guy who gives me tumbs down, nor I would accept him as a contestant. Besides, in this case, the M6 guy lost ... so maybe the tumbs down was about his car, or maybe about his capabilities of pressing the gas pedal ...

Ruergard
March 9th, 2008, 22:01
Kellener?? not familliar with that tunimg house, obviously know there stuff. what sort of power would that thing have?

They're very good at beemers. Ruzz M6 is kickin about 560-570hp if I don't remember wrong! :revs:

iLoveRWD
March 9th, 2008, 23:15
Maybe? Maybe his wife cheated on him; maybe he was crazy; or maybe he is just like any other BMW fan(not talking about u) ...

Maybe not stupid, but .. hey, whoever gives me the tumbs down for no reason is a messed up guy. If I see a nice/powerfull car I do respect it, altough it seems (in this case) the M6 is so hard to drive that even in straight line people have problems using the full potential. Of course, on a circuit it would be 10x harder. So, you see why I love Audi and why I think BMW and/or RWD is not a good thing for a daily car. Yeah, if you are a pro. racer on a closed circuit u do what u want, but on the street ...

Just curious...have you ever driven a RWD car on the track or even in real life? :applause: How many times have you crashed?

Or maybe you can write a letter to - BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Chevrolet, Ford, Porsche, Cadillac, Dodge, Infiniti, Lexus, Maserati, Pontiac, Lotus and others - and just tell them that they are ALL WRONG and RWD sucks because you know better than them, because you drove them and are a specialist. :hihi:

If you would have said: "I prefer AWD, I think it better" ....then thats fine. It's your opinion.
But to say "RWD is not good"....based of the fact that you have NO experience with it at all...is simply WRONG.

:rs6kiss:

Rutkowsky
March 9th, 2008, 23:52
They're very good at beemers. Ruzz M6 is kickin about 560-570hp if I don't remember wrong! :revs:

At the time of his speed test run of 206 mph it was bone stock

Rutkowsky
March 9th, 2008, 23:53

Just bone stock, 206 mph is pretty awesome!

cornishmoocher
March 10th, 2008, 01:22
Just bone stock, 206 mph is pretty awesome!

Bone stock is near unbelivable! (not that I am doubting you) Bloody hell, I think awsome is a bit of an understatement- SHIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEET is more like it :thumb:

Leadfoot
March 10th, 2008, 12:08
To achieve these speeds I reckon aerodynamics play a bigger role in things than even horsepower. Such things as drag, frontal area, etc, will have a major say in it's eventual top speed. Sure more power will allow anything to break the 200mph barrier but 500hp is approaching the minimum required for such a speed.

P.S.

If the M6 is capable of it, then the RS6v10 will easily do it. :hahahehe:

AndyRS6ABT
March 10th, 2008, 16:37
IMHO coming from an M car the powerband is completely different. They are very revy and power is up the top end where as the RS6 has far more guts down below. Races are on the road not on paper and it dosnt suprise me a nicly tuned RS6 would just pip an M5 or an M6. On the other hand it wouldnt suprise me totaly if the result went the other way neither.

What were the weather conditions during the tussle?

Both amazing cars which is getting back to the point of the thumbs down - weirdo :confused:

Boosted-Bora
March 10th, 2008, 18:11
IMHO coming from an M car the powerband is completely different. They are very revy and power is up the top end where as the RS6 has far more guts down below. Races are on the road not on paper and it dosnt suprise me a nicly tuned RS6 would just pip an M5 or an M6. On the other hand it wouldnt suprise me totaly if the result went the other way neither.

What were the weather conditions during the tussle?

Both amazing cars which is getting back to the point of the thumbs down - weirdo :confused:

It was about 30F (-1C) degrees and dry also pretty much open road with minimal traffic

cornishmoocher
March 10th, 2008, 18:48
It was about 30F (-1C) degrees and dry also pretty much open road with minimal traffic

If my DRC wasn't f*cked I would have beat that M6 by about 300mph today, just untied the car and watch the wind blow it away:jlol:

Been a tad on the breezy side here over the last 24hrs.....

Boosted-Bora
March 10th, 2008, 18:59
If my DRC wasn't f*cked I would have beat that M6 by about 300mph today, just untied the car and watch the wind blow it away:jlol:

Been a tad on the breezy side here over the last 24hrs.....

LOL....been a bit brezzy here as well mat lots of fallen trees...

Thats why if you come to my house you will notice there is no trees near where my cars are.... :hihi:

cornishmoocher
March 10th, 2008, 19:36
Yeah, but Drew, you get "real" wind over there, the type that spins and will suck your spleen out through your nose! Not like us mamby pamby "Limeys" anythingt more than a breezette brings out the SEVERE WEATHER WARNINGS!

Boosted-Bora
March 10th, 2008, 21:47
Yeah, but Drew, you get "real" wind over there, the type that spins and will suck your spleen out through your nose! Not like us mamby pamby "Limeys" anythingt more than a breezette brings out the SEVERE WEATHER WARNINGS!

:hihi: I hear that.... Hopefully we dont get anymore damn snow this year I would like to put my wheels on.:hahahehe:

SeattleS4
March 11th, 2008, 05:44

LOL! That's pretty funny. (sorry if you're serious)

Rutkowsky
March 11th, 2008, 07:56
LOL! That's pretty funny. (sorry if you're serious)

What's so funny about that?

Leadfoot
March 11th, 2008, 08:31
What's so funny about that?

I suppose that based on how quickly a SL65 accelerates after the ESP system has relinquished control is quite shocking and to think that an M6, even one driven well can compete is ........ well a little funny.

absent
March 11th, 2008, 09:36
I suppose that based on how quickly a SL65 accelerates after the ESP system has relinquished control is quite shocking and to think that an M6, even one driven well can compete is ........ well a little funny.

Well,had driven SL65 Kleemann against M6,430 F1 and my own 599.SL was only able to walk not run from the M6,left the 430 for dead and was walked by the 599.
There is nothing funny here about this car(M6).....

Xpower
March 11th, 2008, 10:21
65 series is not all that at speed. Our local mags have got the M6 quicker than the S65 over the standing 1km sprint. Here's some German tests:

http://www.einszweidrei.de/mercedes/sl65amg2004-2.htm

Test in sport auto 09/2004
Gewicht 2049 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 4,3 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,6 s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h 7,1 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,8 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,5 s
0 - 200 km/h 13,1 s

http://www.einszweidrei.de/mercedes/sl65amg2004-1.htm

Test in ams 13/2004
Gewicht 2057 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,0 s
0 - 100 km/h 3,9 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,1 s
0 - 130 km/h 5,9 s
0 - 140 km/h 6,6 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,2 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,1 s
0 - 200 km/h 12,6 s

http://www.einszweidrei.de/bmw/m6e632005-1.htm

Test in sport auto 07/2005
Gewicht 1761 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 4,2 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,6 s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h 7,0 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,7 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,9 s
0 - 200 km/h 12,8 s

http://www.einszweidrei.de/bmw/bmwm6cpst2005-1.htm

Supertest in sport auto 12/2005
Gewicht 1761 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 4,2 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,6 s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h 7,0 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,7 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,9 s
0 - 200 km/h 12,8 s

http://www.einszweidrei.de/bmw/bmwm6cpe63smg2005-3.htm

Test in ams Jahrbuch 2006
Gewicht 1760 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 4,2 s
0 - 120 km/h - s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h - s
0 - 160 km/h - s
0 - 180 km/h 10,7 s
0 - 200 km/h 13,0 s

http://www.einszweidrei.de/mercedes/...mgst2005-1.htm (http://www.einszweidrei.de/mercedes/mercsl65amgst2005-1.htm)

Supertest in sport auto 02/2005
Gewicht 2049 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 4,3 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,6 s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h 7,1 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,8 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,5 s
0 - 200 km/h 13,1 s

<!-- / message -->

http://mmm.os.org.za/d/1355-1/amsm6review47io.jpg
http://mmm.os.org.za/d/1352-1/M6_+SRT-10_+Gallardo+_6_.jpg

Leadfoot
March 11th, 2008, 10:24
absent,

There does seem to be a wide variations between differing M6s, I don't doubt your experiences but with the little knowledge I know about what the effect of power vs aerodynamics vs weight, either my opinion is wrong (very possible) or the M6's official output is much more than the quoted figure. Gearing can only account for so much, at some point power and aerodynamic take over.

Logic would say that the 599 should be first but based on ptw of both the M6 and F430 I would have placed the BMW last, followed by the F430, then the SL65 in second behind the 599. If I am wrong then shot me for my stupidity.

Leadfoot
March 11th, 2008, 10:29
Xpower,

The figures you have provided are hard to argue with, it just goes against what I understand. I am still under to opinion that the M6 must be putting out a lot more than quoted.

Erik
March 11th, 2008, 11:49
I agree with absent, the M6 is a very fast car indeed and when handled properly it should have killed the RS6.

I guess the driver of the M6 never found the M Power button? :trash:
But that points out one of the problems with the M6 on the other hand... :stick:

Remember that all the acceleration times in the tests are set with Launch Control.
I'm not saying it's a slow car from a rolling start, but it could change things to worse.
And in high speed the SMGIII is a killer with the V10 high revs.
When I drove the M6 the Launch Control did not work, it was too hot or exhausted or...yeah whatever.

absent
March 11th, 2008, 12:36
I agree with absent, the M6 is a very fast car indeed and when handled properly it should have killed the RS6.

I guess the driver of the M6 never found the M Power button? :trash:
But that points out one of the problems with the M6 on the other hand... :stick:

Remember that all the acceleration times in the tests are set with Launch Control.
I'm not saying it's a slow car from a rolling start, but it could change things to worse.
And in high speed the SMGIII is a killed with the V10 high revs.
When I drove the M6 the Launch Control did not work, it was too hot or exhausted or...yeah whatever.

Exactly the point,M6 has to be set up properly and has to be driven by a driver who really knows what he is doing.
Most of the M6 owners either don't have the skills or time (at the heat of the moment) to remember to switch to power ,etc.
It is a very rewarding ride but requires some work and concentration to get the most out of it.

Rutkowsky
March 11th, 2008, 13:34
I know of some M6 owners that dyno results were showing up to 545bhp on late '07 models, stock..

Leadfoot
March 11th, 2008, 14:54
I know of some M6 owners that dyno results were showing up to 545bhp on late '07 models, stock..

I know I harp on about this but what you are saying would explain a lot. The norm is for a manufacturer to quote a figure and only deliver 95% of that, so for BMW to do the opposite and deliver an extra almost 10% would help explain how it's possible to produce the times.

absent
March 11th, 2008, 15:31
I know I harp on about this but what you are saying would explain a lot. The norm is for a manufacturer to quote a figure and only deliver 95% of that, so for BMW to do the opposite and deliver an extra almost 10% would help explain how it's possible to produce the times.
MB did the same thing with some AMGs and 600 series in particular.

limak
March 11th, 2008, 15:41

You talking about M6's with M-driver Package?

Leadfoot
March 11th, 2008, 15:44
I being lead to believe that the most recent of S and RS cars are also actually over producing on quoted figures, even if the dyno results show different.

Leadfoot
March 11th, 2008, 15:46
You talking about M6's with M-driver Package?

If this is remotely similar to the one being offered on the new M3 then power hike is not included. Only limiter rised and possible track-based tyres and brake pads.

AndyRS6ABT
March 11th, 2008, 16:07
I think the outlook of cars over in the US is significantly different than in the UK. Mercs over here IMHO are really not rated as performance cars, altho I see they are frequently mentioned in the US. The circles I move in they are considered powerful but slow & difficult on real wet cold roads. Slow meaning over a stretch of twisty road. They are heavy and the power is unusable in the wrong conditions.

Our roads are so different (far more twisty, narrower and uneven) it means cars like the Mitsubishi evo and Subaru Impreza are in reality with real drivers at the helm as quick as supercars. Hence why the RS6 is so highly rated over here because it combines big power with the 4wd quattro system and great handling.

As such I would be most confident of taking on an M6 or similar around the roads near my home. I guess I couldnt really comment on a straight line drag on the motorway because in relaity this rarely happens in the Uk - too many police, too much traffic and limiters to 155mph (is that also the case in the US)?

Just a point I wanted to make cos some of you guys in the US might think some of our british comments are cr*p but thats probably because our races and experience are over country lane runs as opposed to a 8 lane freeway.

all IMHO of course! :hihi:

BLITZEN
March 11th, 2008, 16:39
It's a waste of time for us to be comparing 4-door 5-passenger luxury cars to 2-door coupes anyway. Hell, there's got to be a dozen cars in that category that can kill an RS6. It's equally as unproductive to compare cars on paper, or 0-60. Ever raced someone only half way through 2nd gear? I can hear it now, :harass: "O/k, let's race, but only to 60!"

We all know the RS6 is a great car, especially because of how fun it is for it's size, and how well it can handle adverse conditions. These are factors that aren't important to magazines, but are crucial in the real world.

Can't we all just be happy for Boosted Bora that he got to show mr. thumbs down that he wasn't such hot s___?! :hihi: Way to go dude.

absent
March 11th, 2008, 20:29
I think the outlook of cars over in the US is significantly different than in the UK. Mercs over here IMHO are really not rated as performance cars, altho I see they are frequently mentioned in the US. The circles I move in they are considered powerful but slow & difficult on real wet cold roads. Slow meaning over a stretch of twisty road. They are heavy and the power is unusable in the wrong conditions.

Our roads are so different (far more twisty, narrower and uneven) it means cars like the Mitsubishi evo and Subaru Impreza are in reality with real drivers at the helm as quick as supercars. Hence why the RS6 is so highly rated over here because it combines big power with the 4wd quattro system and great handling.

As such I would be most confident of taking on an M6 or similar around the roads near my home. I guess I couldnt really comment on a straight line drag on the motorway because in relaity this rarely happens in the Uk - too many police, too much traffic and limiters to 155mph (is that also the case in the US)?

Just a point I wanted to make cos some of you guys in the US might think some of our british comments are cr*p but thats probably because our races and experience are over country lane runs as opposed to a 8 lane freeway.

all IMHO of course! :hihi:

You got a point here.
UK roads are unique vs the rest of the World,cars that are terrific rides everywhere,on your roads become sometimes utterly hopeless.
All Brit car mags acknowledge that fact and always reserve their final judgement of any new car until after they get to drive it on the home turf.

Leadfoot
March 11th, 2008, 22:08
You got a point here.
UK roads are unique vs the rest of the World,cars that are terrific rides everywhere,on your roads become sometimes utterly hopeless.
All Brit car mags acknowledge that fact and always reserve their final judgement of any new car until after they get to drive it on the home turf.

It's one of the reason why I defend Audi's policy of Quattro over rwd, even if the latter is the more entertaining and it's one of the reasons why I insist that an RS4 is quicker than an M3 on our roads, again even if the M3 is the quicker on a track.

The M6 maybe quicker than the new RS6 but on our roads there is only one daddy and that's the one with Quattro. :dig: :dig:

DuckWingDuck
March 12th, 2008, 00:14
Andy as usual makes some very good points. Just a few more thoughts, Mercs for the most part here in the States amongst those in the know hold the same reputation as they do across the point, i.e. lux + heavy. A bit more pep when compared to cars like Lexus but still boats nevertheless. They are ultimately known as a luxury brand.

Erik
March 25th, 2008, 17:14
Here might be part of the answer.

These are the acceleration times for the M5 in different modes.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39210&d=1175973814

If he's in P500 S1 or worse he's smoked.

chutia
March 25th, 2008, 17:39
Even Ferrari 430 has to be driven at max effort to avoid total humiliation.
That said,there are a lot of M cars driven by diletantes who either don't know how or are not able to fully take advantage of their cars.
Ms are just not as simple as RS or AMG to drive REALLY FAST.....

Probably being among somewhat few owners who have personally owned all 3 cars, RS6, 07 M5 and a 06 CLS55 AMG (I own both the latter currently), you are unfortunately mistaken. While you are absolutely correct that the M5/M6 is a far more difficult (and unnecessarily so, I might add) car to drive really fast and efficiently and it simply a divine and exhilaring engine (more so than the RS6 or the 55AMG's), your statement that the M5/M6 is untouchable at high speed, especially a 65 is dead wrong. Period. W/ all due humility, I own each of them, so I have some actual qualification to make such a statement. A 65 is a flat out monster, although it has so much torque that dead cold launches can be fishtailing events. But frankly, hard launches and tracking are not what these > 2 ton cars are really meant for, although many do it, and that's cool as that comes w/ the rights of ownership.

Just my $0.02.

chutia
March 25th, 2008, 18:02
65 series is not all that at speed. Our local mags have got the M6 quicker than the S65 over the standing 1km sprint. Here's some German tests:

http://www.einszweidrei.de/mercedes/sl65amg2004-2.htm

Test in sport auto 09/2004
Gewicht 2049 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 4,3 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,6 s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h 7,1 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,8 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,5 s
0 - 200 km/h 13,1 s

http://www.einszweidrei.de/mercedes/sl65amg2004-1.htm

Test in ams 13/2004
Gewicht 2057 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,0 s
0 - 100 km/h 3,9 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,1 s
0 - 130 km/h 5,9 s
0 - 140 km/h 6,6 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,2 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,1 s
0 - 200 km/h 12,6 s

http://www.einszweidrei.de/bmw/m6e632005-1.htm

Test in sport auto 07/2005
Gewicht 1761 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 4,2 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,6 s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h 7,0 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,7 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,9 s
0 - 200 km/h 12,8 s

http://www.einszweidrei.de/bmw/bmwm6cpst2005-1.htm

Supertest in sport auto 12/2005
Gewicht 1761 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 4,2 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,6 s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h 7,0 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,7 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,9 s
0 - 200 km/h 12,8 s

http://www.einszweidrei.de/bmw/bmwm6cpe63smg2005-3.htm

Test in ams Jahrbuch 2006
Gewicht 1760 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 4,2 s
0 - 120 km/h - s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h - s
0 - 160 km/h - s
0 - 180 km/h 10,7 s
0 - 200 km/h 13,0 s

http://www.einszweidrei.de/mercedes/...mgst2005-1.htm (http://www.einszweidrei.de/mercedes/mercsl65amgst2005-1.htm)

Supertest in sport auto 02/2005
Gewicht 2049 kg
0 - 80 km/h 3,3 s
0 - 100 km/h 4,3 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,6 s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h 7,1 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,8 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,5 s
0 - 200 km/h 13,1 s

<!-- / message -->

http://mmm.os.org.za/d/1355-1/amsm6review47io.jpg
http://mmm.os.org.za/d/1352-1/M6_+SRT-10_+Gallardo+_6_.jpg
Very nice but obviously inconsistent results, as I have found w/ my 07 M5...a great car w/ a great engine.

But it doesn't exactly dust a 55AMG (stock) let alone a 65. The problem w/ the M's, which is extremely well known, is that they have to be set up, have too many user-programmable options, Power/M-mode must be on to obtain max output and performance. All OK if just going out by yourself and running the car hard and having fun, but too much for many owners sometimes if confronted w/ a spontaneous "race off." While I enjoy the hell out of driving my 07 M5, it's a hell of a lot harder to drive fast than my CLS55, which all you have to do is basically be in S mode and press the accelarator. But the engine on the M5 is something else and faaar more thrilling than the 55 AMG's engine.

Rutkowsky
March 25th, 2008, 20:09
Thanx Chutia, have you driven M6 and if you have, how do you rate it?

AuditudeA642
March 25th, 2008, 22:53
The M6 and M5 are very comparable to the RS4 and RS6 under 100mph. An SL65 AMG will walk an M6 so bad that it would be embarrassing. I have driven an RS6, my RS4, M5, Stock and Renntech Stage 2 SL65. The M5 under 100 felt a little slower than my RS4, but after 100 was alot faster. The Sl65, well thats say it was so stupid fast that i cannot even explain it in words. I also drove a Gallardo which i was very unimpressed by.

DuckWingDuck
March 26th, 2008, 03:11
I agree, the so-called "super cars", lambos & ferraris are for the most part, great cars but I've left many of them wondering to myself why anybody would pay that kind of money for that kind of performance. I've only ever ridden in an SL65, and damned if I weren't scared.