PDA

View Full Version : Sooo I was bored

Boosted-Bora
March 6th, 2008, 01:56
Today I was bored and decide to go get my car chipped I have been talking to Unitronic for about 2 weeks now an we had decided to do a custom software for the Beast I wanted to go with DNA Tuning but it just wasnt practical as they are so far away and I had a Unitronic dealer here local to me so I went... we scanned the car sent the logs and they wrote the software for me and emailed the file back over. I love it.....they wont tell me how much power it is making but he said it is over 525 and thats it I have been in a lot of chipped RS6's and my car feels a good 15% faster then the MTM tuned car my friend has. I cant wait to dyno it and see what happens.

I need to start working all the time cause when I get bored I end to do these type of things:hahahehe:

cornishmoocher
March 6th, 2008, 02:01
Today I was bored and decide to go get my car chipped I have been talking to Unitronic for about 2 weeks now an we had decided to do a custom software for the Beast I wanted to go with DNA Tuning but it just wasnt practical as they are so far away and I had a Unitronic dealer here local to me so I went... we scanned the car sent the logs and they wrote the software for me and emailed the file back over. I love it.....they wont tell me how much power it is making but he said it is over 525 and thats it I have been in a lot of chipped RS6's and my car feels a good 15% faster then the MTM tuned car my friend has. I cant wait to dyno it and see what happens.

I need to start working all the time cause when I get bored I end to do these type of things:hahahehe:

Beats the shit outa of doing a crossword puzzel!

HeadShot
March 6th, 2008, 02:21
Good info.. i'd never heard of these guys and was thinking MTM or DNA.
a link.. http://www.unitronic.ca/uni/content/view/50/33/
Can't wait to see the Dyno numbers...
Did ya do the trans chip to???
And what was the cost - wasn't listed on the web.

Boosted-Bora
March 6th, 2008, 04:55
I didn't do a trans chip but we will we what happens as I was told that re ecu will adapt by itself and the cost is from 800-2000 depending on how much time they put into the tune and unlike apr and mtm who tune by manipulation unitronic remaps like DNA does

gjg
March 6th, 2008, 12:19

this "over 525" figure was done purely by software changes? Nothing else? You have not noticed any differences in shift patterns while driving? :vhmmm:

HeadShot
March 6th, 2008, 15:21
The first thing i did when i picked up my beast was get the Tranny chip done as i'd heard U.S models were suffering due to shift lag to keep the U.S market from crapping there pants when you went into another gear. (what were they thinking!!!) As the Euro models were not having the same tranny issues it was generally decided that the Tran chip setting were responsible.
Old news i'm sure .. anyway i had www.hoppenmotorsport.com (http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com) do the tran chip only (MTM dealer) for $100. - refunded if you chip the engine at a later date.
Something for others to consider... sounds like you have a sic program going for your beast Drew... Congratulations! Hard to believe the chip program would adapt itself - was i reading that right??

Boosted-Bora
March 6th, 2008, 17:06
this "over 525" figure was done purely by software changes? Nothing else? You have not noticed any differences in shift patterns while driving? :vhmmm:

I have the software,intakes,diverters, Milltek non-resonated catback and on 93 octane I love it and must say the shift patterns are a bit different

The first thing i did when i picked up my beast was get the Tranny chip done as i'd heard U.S models were suffering due to shift lag to keep the U.S market from crapping there pants when you went into another gear. (what were they thinking!!!) As the Euro models were not having the same tranny issues it was generally decided that the Tran chip setting were responsible.
Old news i'm sure .. anyway i had www.hoppenmotorsport.com (http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com) do the tran chip only (MTM dealer) for $100. - refunded if you chip the engine at a later date.
Something for others to consider... sounds like you have a sic program going for your beast Drew... Congratulations! Hard to believe the chip program would adapt itself - was i reading that right??

I have never heard the tranny story as you just told me now I am very interested in getting the trans chip done to speed up my shifts and maybe just have it perform all around better it seem like my trans shifts solid but not fast I am going to call Hoppen right now to inquire about the trans chip.

BTW I meant that the TCU would adapt itself as I have seen it has done quite a bit because when I first got the ECU chipped the car was shifting at about 6100 now it is taking it higher to about 6350 depending on what gear I will have more insight for you guys once I have it a bit longer and I cant relly test it on the way to work since I work 1.5 miles form my house..

Copper
March 6th, 2008, 18:18
"BTW I meant that the TCU would adapt itself as I have seen it has done quite a bit because when I first got the ECU chipped the car was shifting at about 6100 now it is taking it higher to about 6350 depending on what gear I will have"

Ditto for me with the Revo Flash program. The TCU has adapted to the new fuel/boost/timing settings in the ECU and the shift points are different for sure. "Crisper" is the only way I can describe it. Also seeing shifts at a higher RPM.

gjg
March 7th, 2008, 01:42
I have the software,intakes,diverters, Milltek non-resonated catback and on 93 octane I love it and must say the shift patterns are a bit different

downpipes stock? fuel pump stock?

Boosted-Bora
March 7th, 2008, 02:30
downpipes stock? fuel pump stock?

Yeah both are stock as of right now but will do DP soon and maybe will do fuel what kind of systems are you guys using for fuel.

gjg
March 7th, 2008, 13:38
that "at least 525" figure is as good as politician's promise .... :hahahehe:

Boosted-Bora
March 7th, 2008, 14:53
that "at least 525" figure is as good as politician's promise .... :hahahehe:

LOL true but i know it is faster then my friends MTM car and he is putting 522HP to the crank Dyno proven and I weight more then him, also he only has Exhaust and no intakes:hahahehe:

gjg
March 7th, 2008, 18:30
what torque they "claim" ?

HeadShot
March 7th, 2008, 19:23
I read here someplace i think about the life of the tranny and how it is affected by more HP than stock. I'll look around tonight and see if i can find the peice - very interesting numbers. Anyway.. i would think that reworking the chip/ program one can always squeeze big numbers out of the unit with no thought for wear on other components - stress to the trans. Isn't the point to have a ride that will last also?? MTM has tunned a ton of our cars and would be trying to get the best performance with a product they can stand behind.. thats why they hold back. There 580 kit(turbos etc.) requires a tranny mod also i believe.
Food for thought.
If you can aford a new trans + then just nitro's it.
Don't take this the wrong way, i want the most out of my ride for sure.. but i like alot of research and a good long lasting result to. Hard to believe MTM etc, would not field a fast chip without a good reason eh.
Thoughts???

:)

gjg
March 7th, 2008, 19:40
I read here someplace i think about the life of the tranny and how it is affected by more HP than stock. I'll look around tonight and see if i can find the peice - very interesting numbers. Anyway.. i would think that reworking the chip/ program one can always squeeze big numbers out of the unit with no thought for wear on other components - stress to the trans. Isn't the point to have a ride that will last also?? MTM has tunned a ton of our cars and would be trying to get the best performance with a product they can stand behind.. thats why they hold back. There 580 kit(turbos etc.) requires a tranny mod also i believe.
Food for thought.
If you can aford a new trans + then just nitro's it.
Don't take this the wrong way, i want the most out of my ride for sure.. but i like alot of research and a good long lasting result to. Hard to believe MTM etc, would not field a fast chip without a good reason eh.
Thoughts???

:)

good comment - if you search forum here you'll find out the gearbox info. Max. torque claimed "safe" operation is about 800 Nm, but even there you should expect overhaul every 100k km or less (depending of course on your driving habits).

Problem with some "tuners" is precisely as stated - who cares for the car when I can get "good" numbers on paper. On one side you get tested chipsets, on the other hand any good programmer can re-write the software... and there is no afterthought for "driving" other that 1/4 mile blah blah ..

If that is what runs your motor, fine. Tunning car which you intend to drive for a while with someone who actually never done any tests on that specific engine is suicidal or you are prepared to spend some $$ later .... :idea:

Anyway, off my soap ..... with reputable tuners you have some assurance that tey did field test the software changes and effects on rest of the car. :thumb:

Boosted-Bora
March 7th, 2008, 20:27
good comment - if you search forum here you'll find out the gearbox info. Max. torque claimed "safe" operation is about 800 Nm, but even there you should expect overhaul every 100k km or less (depending of course on your driving habits).

Problem with some "tuners" is precisely as stated - who cares for the car when I can get "good" numbers on paper. On one side you get tested chipsets, on the other hand any good programmer can re-write the software... and there is no afterthought for "driving" other that 1/4 mile blah blah ..

If that is what runs your motor, fine. Tunning car which you intend to drive for a while with someone who actually never done any tests on that specific engine is suicidal or you are prepared to spend some $$ later .... :idea:

Anyway, off my soap ..... with reputable tuners you have some assurance that tey did field test the software changes and effects on rest of the car. :thumb:

very true....and as previously stated if the trans does go I will be doing a build with big turbos:hahahehe: