PDA

View Full Version : Rs4 Newbie

13urt
March 5th, 2008, 13:34
Hi guys, I joined up a little while ago when i bought my S4 B6, the enjoment lasted about 1 week till the tranmission broke, Audi repared the box for me, i had it back for all of five days untill reverse stopped working!:mech: It went back again and they fitted a donor box from a newer S4, all was fine for 1 day till the wheel arch linnings fell off whilst driving down the road, After this i demanded that they replace the car with another one as i had simply lost all faith in the car.
Yesterday i went down to the delership, test drove some cars amd completeley fell in love with a 2007 RS4 they had, only 10k miles on and as you'd expect in superb condition. and all for £44k, so i put a deposit down on it and i pick it up next friday.. I cant wait:rs4addict :rs4addict

What sort of prices are you guys paying for insurance in the UK, i have been quoted £1400 for the year, 29yrs old 5yrs no claims bonus

butcher
March 5th, 2008, 23:51
welcome newbie from another newbie
enjoy :rs4kiss:

MR USER
March 5th, 2008, 23:55
welcome and cograts for the your choice of weapon

13urt
March 6th, 2008, 00:13
welcome newbie from another newbie
enjoy :rs4kiss:

Ah, I see i'm not alone, seems like buying these gems now could be a good idea, seeing as they are in short supply and high in demand, esp as they are no longer in production.
so how are you finding your RS4 then?

PetrolDave
March 6th, 2008, 11:51
What sort of prices are you guys paying for insurance in the UK, i have been quoted £1400 for the year, 29yrs old 5yrs no claims bonus
I'm paying £830, 52 years old with 14 years no claims bonus.

Shop around - I've had quotes from £350 (from www.swiftcover.com - but they insisted on a Tracker and the excess was £700) to nearly £2000!

13urt
March 6th, 2008, 12:35
cheers matey, i rang around so many companies, the closest i could get was £1700.00 and that was with an £800 excess!
my current insurer will so it for the £1400 with only a £350 excess, no tracker required, rekon thats the best Im gonna get.

butcher
March 6th, 2008, 22:14
Ah, I see i'm not alone, seems like buying these gems now could be a good idea, seeing as they are in short supply and high in demand, esp as they are no longer in production.
so how are you finding your RS4 then?

fantastic motor vehicle, love it.:heart:
first open road trip this weekend up north, great roads, twisty, hilly, very little traffic.:)

the S4 manual I had before was also a fantastic open road car.
these are my first Euro cars, after a mix of 9 Subarus including the very rare Subaru STI 22B (great car) gone but not forgotten

hows your RS4

13urt
March 7th, 2008, 07:38
well what can I say, when i test drove it i could immediatley feel the difference between that and my S4. its driving me mad, i dont pick it up till the end of next week, and i hate waiting!!
but that weekend i am meeting up with some of my car buddies and we are all going out for a blast., then the following weekend we are going away on a driving holiday around the UK,

I have had some serious power cars in the past, but the overall package that the RS4 offers is really gonna take some beating

PetrolDave
March 7th, 2008, 15:33
when i test drove it i could immediatley feel the difference between that and my S4.
I made the same change - S4 to RS4.

After a year with the S4 it was starting to feel "slow", but after 18 months with the RS4 it still feels quick enough for me. First car I've ever owned that didn't start to feel "under-powered" after about a year.

What do I mean by feeling "under-powered"? When you can hold the pedal to the metal right to the redline without feeling "I need to lift"...

13urt
March 8th, 2008, 16:30
I know only too well what your saying there chief....

One of the most apprarent things i noticed when i climed into the RS4 was how much stiffer the chassis feels, and yet whilst driving, the suspension and chassis seems that little more forgiving the S4, the ride is smoother too...
apart form the big power difference and the braking etc my biggest suprise was that of the handling..

PetrolDave
March 8th, 2008, 18:35
One of the most apprarent things i noticed when i climed into the RS4 was how much stiffer the chassis feels, and yet whilst driving, the suspension and chassis seems that little more forgiving the S4, the ride is smoother too...
apart form the big power difference and the braking etc my biggest suprise was that of the handling..
That's the benefit of DRC - the spring rates can be lower which gives a better ride, but when cornering, braking or accelerating the DRC comes into operation and stiffens things up, so you get the best of both worlds - good ride AND good handling.

There's a stretch of road near home that's like a washboard - in the S4 you worried about your fillings coming out, but in the RS4 you hear the suspension working but you feel much less vibration.

13urt
March 9th, 2008, 07:43
Urrrrgg!! I hate waiting.......

and still have another 5 days to go till i pick her up

13urt
March 14th, 2008, 05:06
Well, today is the the day.. its not even 5am and I'm awake with ecxictement, rather like a child at christmas, I have an appointment to collect my shiny weapon from the dealership this morning at 11am.:rs4kiss:
the salesman called me yesterday to tell me that i can collect the car but it will have to go back for new front shocks, as they have found a very small leak from the dsc, they are replacing them,, but they are on a 3 week back order, a little dissapointing tbh, i dint think that the dsc on the new models was such a problem, have any of you guys had this with yours?
Anyway the day havs finally arrived and i really cant believe i.m getting one. Amazing how your life turns out when you work hard eh.

I'll put some pics up this weekend for you guys to see, I'm meeting up this sunday with some buddies of mine for a long sunday drive through the A & B roads of kent.. so should find time to get some good pics.

JWC
March 14th, 2008, 05:13
Yes enjoy but do let us know how she felt. CONGRATS!!!

13urt
March 14th, 2008, 05:18
Yes enjoy but do let us know how she felt. CONGRATS!!!

Hey fella,
do you mean how she feels in general or the ride due to the failing dsc??

MrBucket
March 14th, 2008, 06:11
The DRC is known to be just as problematic as on the RS6. The cars just haven't been out long enough for more of them to be breaking yet.

13urt
March 14th, 2008, 06:19
thought they had ironed out the creases, the new system is called drc2 apparently, but still it does take time to perfect anything, esp something that gets worked hard on a daily basis. Still , all the time its under warranty its not costing me anyway, they can just keep giving new drc lol

Carl Lassiter
March 14th, 2008, 18:06
That's the benefit of DRC - the spring rates can be lower which gives a better ride, but when cornering, braking or accelerating the DRC comes into operation and stiffens things up, so you get the best of both worlds - good ride AND good handling.

There's a stretch of road near home that's like a washboard - in the S4 you worried about your fillings coming out, but in the RS4 you hear the suspension working but you feel much less vibration.

I must say, the RS4 is in different league to the S4, which is basically an A4 with a big engine. I owned my B7 S4 for two years and it served me well but the suspension was totally unresolved. It would smash my head off the headliner when hitting certain mid-corner bumps on the freeway. I cooked the brakes on Mulholland Drive and was yearning for more power than what an A6 owner has access to. It sounded lovely but was pedestrian looking (sometimes a benefit) and was a car with more bark than bite.

I have a friend over in Middlesbrough with a black optics pack RS4. The suspension is perfectly suited to the twisties, the engine is truly fantastic as a re the brakes. The only slight fault was I felt the brakes pulled slightly to one side under heavy loads but overall I rate the car as a real breakthrough product by Audi. As for the looks, well it's simply the best looking sedan one can buy.

Out here, traffic is heavy so I like having a clutchless manual and the EDC suspension is superb. Extra space means bigger cars make sense here too. Also, on the freeway few cars (including the RS4) can get anywhere near the M5.

However, if I lived in England then i'd be in an RS4 right now. Compact, better mileage but not at the expense of fun and quite simply one of the most breathtaking a-b tools on a wet English backroad. The only cars that will keep up in that situation are the Evo, STi brigade but they certainly don't look or sound anywhere near as good. Cars that will shock Ferrari's but can double as as a businessman's express are just as good as it gets.

13urt
March 14th, 2008, 18:52
Well today has been and gone.... but sadly the day didnt go as planned..

I arrived at the dealership today only to find that my RS4 wasnt ready for me to collect.. as i've already said, the DSC was leaking from one of the shocks.. they were going to let me take the car and take it back when the parts had been deliverd for the repair.. but they simply were not happy letting the car go.. they have managed to rob all ther parts they need from another dealership that were supposed be fitted an somebody elses RS4. So instead of having to take the car back in a few weeks time i can collect the car on tuesday with all the work done....
so another few days to go till i get her.. :w:

13urt
March 23rd, 2008, 15:49
Hello chaps,,

Just got back from my short break with the RS4, I finally picked her up on thurdsay morning due to the parts for the drc not being complete:mech: , I filled her up with optimax and she was ready for my trip to Bath. For the journey there we just hit the motorway as we had an early check in time. M20, M25, M4. The route home however was a lot more exciting!! from Bath, the A36 towards Longleat, such a nice road, surface and twisties were great, then we hit the A362 wich threw in more twisties and short straights where I could really push the car out of the corners, then onto the A303, Again ,another nice road, apart from the traffic getting a little slow at times.. All in all the car felt great, for the long motorway journey,the seats are great, no back ache or numb arse to complain about, once arrived after over 2 hours of driving i still felt great, The journey home was a lot better, giving me oppotunity to push the car on unknown roads is always a challenge, but the RS4 just begged for more abuse, despite the poor wheather and slippery road surface, The Quattro gives you that extra confidence to keep your foot in where you may have let off in a rear wheel drive car. add to that, i kept the S button on all the way home.. that sound will get me into trouble.. its so addictive, it makes you go faster and faster:revs:
What a car.. totaly amazed with her..:rs4kiss:

13urt
March 24th, 2008, 11:56
Here she is.....
Totally std, THB thats the way I'm probably gonna leave her....:rs4kiss:

Does anybody know this car? I guess the prebious onwner was a bit of a car enthusiast as there weas a nurburgring sticker on the bootlid and on the inside of the wheels.

Mockenrue
March 25th, 2008, 15:39
The route home however was a lot more exciting!! from Bath, the A36 towards Longleat, such a nice road, surface and twisties were great, then we hit the A362 wich threw in more twisties and short straights where I could really push the car out of the corners, then onto the A303, Again ,another nice road, apart from the traffic getting a little slow at times..

Those are my local roads! :thumb: Let me know if you're ever heading up that way again and maybe we could meet up. :cheers:

Glad you've finally got the car and you're enjoying it. :revs:

victor2vt
April 5th, 2008, 06:23
Here she is.....
Totally std, THB thats the way I'm probably gonna leave her....:rs4kiss:

Does anybody know this car? I guess the prebious onwner was a bit of a car enthusiast as there weas a nurburgring sticker on the bootlid and on the inside of the wheels.

Yes, that's the same car that was used in the "Audi Experience" and on passenger laps on various circuits around the UK.
It will have been used and abused since new but would have been serviced properly and been through a few sets of tyres by now.
Anyway, don't worry, just keep checking everything for abnormal wear and tear and hope Audi will pick up the bill........
SMILE, ONLY JOKING !!! :harass: YOU WILL LOVE IT :rs4kiss:

13urt
April 5th, 2008, 08:37
Yes, that's the same car that was used in the "Audi Experience" and on passenger laps on various circuits around the UK.
It will have been used and abused since new but would have been serviced properly and been through a few sets of tyres by now.
Anyway, don't worry, just keep checking everything for abnormal wear and tear and hope Audi will pick up the bill........
SMILE, ONLY JOKING !!! :harass: YOU WILL LOVE IT :rs4kiss:
:applause: Phew, you got me there fella,, i started sweating at an alarming rate as i was reading... then once i scrolled down my heartbeat returned to a normal rate..:thumb: