PDA

View Full Version : AMS M3 Test...you shall see the results:RS4 BEATS M3 AGAIN!

IhateRWD
March 3rd, 2008, 15:37
Hello fellows, i would like to present the new test in my local AMS magazine taken from .de AMS magazine where the new M3 E92 was tested and here are the results of the acceleration times, then compare them to "official" RS4 times (and we all know that RS4 B7 is way more faster than the official times) and you will see that M3 is loosing again in front of RS4 B7!RS4 ROCKS...Imagine what will do the new RS4 with MLP platform, new Quattro,new gearbox,better axle distribution,lowered,more HP and Torque and then comment!
RS4 B7 is doing (oficially) 0-100km/h in 4.8s and 0-200km/h in 16.6s and is a saloon for GOD sake and M3 is a coupe and it's slower and M3 Saloon officialy is doing 0-100 in 4.9 so in real life is 5s and 16.8-16.9s to 200km/h. Want someone to comment something?!

emve
March 3rd, 2008, 17:18
The E92 M3 did 0-200km/h in 15-15,5s in several tests and is going to get under 15s with the new DCT gearbox.

IhateRWD
March 3rd, 2008, 17:33
I know those tests but Audi RS4 B7 made 15-15.2s 0-200km/h in other tests so RS4 wins again.

tvrfan
March 3rd, 2008, 17:50
your getting really on my nerves "i hate RWD". if the M3 is faster, its faster. so let it be like it is. we cant change that fact. New M3 is faster in straightline than B7 RS4. and? RS4 has other qualitys. and RS4 owners just are not interessted if the new M3 is 0.3 or 0.5 secs faster to 124 mph (200km/h). also the B8 RS4 is the competitor for E92 M3. but its not out yet. and will sure take of time when it will be released (2010 maybe). so DONT make the BMW´s bad.

IhateRWD
March 3rd, 2008, 18:13
i know that B8 RS4 will be the real competitor of the M3 E92 i just wanted to demonstrate that 3 years Audi technology is destroying an 2008 M3 E92 from the "mighty" uneficient BMW cars... new RS4 will humiliate for ever M3 E92 and is 2 years away from the M3, it also in the past years RS cars destroy M cars in acceleration and speed, that's the only thing that matter for someone but Quattro is way more than that, is efficient and reliable, and you can go faster no matter the weather. BMW will never make M cars doing that, that's why M cars are nothing compared to RS cars.
This is my oppinion but i know that others think the same like me.

Damienr8
March 3rd, 2008, 18:44
i know that B8 RS4 will be the real competitor of the M3 E92 i just wanted to demonstrate that 3 years Audi technology is destroying an 2008 M3 E92 from the "mighty" uneficient BMW cars... new RS4 will humiliate for ever M3 E92 and is 2 years away from the M3, it also in the past years RS cars destroy M cars in acceleration and speed, that's the only thing that matter for someone but Quattro is way more than that, is efficient and reliable, and you can go faster no matter the weather. BMW will never make M cars doing that, that's why M cars are nothing compared to RS cars.

http://img198.imagevenue.com/loc362/th_69946_lolz_122_362lo.jpg

artur777
March 3rd, 2008, 18:58

Woud you like to be banned??:mech:

tvrfan
March 3rd, 2008, 19:02
ERIK ! ! ! please take us the pain away !

Rage
March 3rd, 2008, 20:25
http://img198.imagevenue.com/loc362/th_69946_lolz_122_362lo.jpg

That picture makes me crack up every time:lovl:

Damienr8
March 3rd, 2008, 20:38

here are some others you may use when similar situations arise:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2264/carlfpda1fp9.jpg
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4341/prescl7.png
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/3261/awjeeznotthisshitagained5.jpg
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5425/roflsc9.jpg
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/9168/absolutelyfascinatinget1.jpg

Fab
March 3rd, 2008, 21:01
:lovl: :lovl: :lovl: :lovl:

JavierNuvolari
March 3rd, 2008, 21:47
here are some others you may use when similar situations arise:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2264/carlfpda1fp9.jpg
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4341/prescl7.png
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5425/roflsc9.jpg
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/9168/absolutelyfascinatinget1.jpg

Bwahahahaha...are you a vortex user by any chance? :cheers:

Ps. not to continue the bashing of our fellow member here but...are you SSdriver by anychance?

Rage
March 3rd, 2008, 21:51
Theyre all great but nothing beats the sheer look of exasperation/desolation of Cpt Picard......still grinning.:lovl:

Leadfoot
March 3rd, 2008, 22:34
To compare the R8 RS4 to the M3 is a bit premature, I agree that in my mind the Audi will be quicker in almost every discipline but believing it and knowing for a fact are two totally different things.

HKS786
March 3rd, 2008, 23:12

haha...yeah and this one:

Damienr8
March 3rd, 2008, 23:14
Bwahahahaha...are you a vortex user by any chance? :cheers:

Ps. not to continue the bashing of our fellow member here but...are you SSdriver by anychance?

Hi Javier,
I am on Vortex (mostly the photograpy forum) under the same alias, DamienR8.

regards,
Damien R.

piero
March 4th, 2008, 10:52
This post is funny...we can see how imaginativ people can be when they know they're wrong:lovl: :lovl:

Everybody knows here that M3 is faster than RS4, all real comparisons, tests have prooved it, so please, stop being stupid like that, it's just ridiculous......:doh: :doh:

IhateRWD
March 4th, 2008, 11:57
yeah right, so why in the 70% of the tests RS4 wins, even on performance!Should i show you again the Autocar test?Or other test where RS4 B7 is faster?!

Rutkowsky
March 4th, 2008, 15:54
Someone ban this guy now!! His brings down the quality of this fine forum.

Leadfoot
March 4th, 2008, 16:25
Someone ban this guy now!! His brings down the quality of this fine forum.

Sad to say but such is the wonder of the internet that these dicks can and do return.

IhateRWD
March 4th, 2008, 16:36
i am a dick? i thought in this forum nobody has the chance to say something like this, i was wrong. so if you all experts know better, i'm not only the one who participate on a drag race between RS4 B7 vs M3 E92 but i was in the right of the driver so don't tell me...it was a drag race between 0-250km/h and RS4 beat the crap of M3, don't botter to say something, maybe someone don't know how to drive it to the limit, i don't know other reason to be. RS4 is quicker and that's it!

Rutkowsky
March 4th, 2008, 16:46
Sad to say but such is the wonder of the internet that these dicks can and do return.

Well said again :thumb:

artur777
March 4th, 2008, 17:41
I am so tired of this sh*ty comments

IhateRWD, please, be a little bit more polite.
And about you opinion about BMW: yuo know, if their cars are so bad, they could have become bankrupts a lot of years ago along with other unsuccessful carmakers. But it is not.
And if you allow yourself such criticizing comments - you should be at least top-manager of Audi AG or any other company. Could you please do YOURSELF the same success as BMW did in any sphere and after that - please criticize in full. But being a man with no name - you shouldn't behave in such a way, and you look like a "nuts"

Do you get my point, kiddy?

mbolo
March 4th, 2008, 17:45
i am a dick? i thought in this forum nobody has the chance to say something like this, i was wrong. so if you all experts know better, i'm not only the one who participate on a drag race between RS4 B7 vs M3 E92 but i was in the right of the driver so don't tell me...it was a drag race between 0-250km/h and RS4 beat the crap of M3, don't botter to say something, maybe someone don't know how to drive it to the limit, i don't know other reason to be. RS4 is quicker and that's it!

We've made several runs on an airfield between the RS4 and M3. Yes, the RS4 is quicker off the line, but there is no way the RS4 destroys an M3 between 0 -250km/h. If so, you've got very poor driving skills in the M3.

Yes, the M3 coupe is faster than the sedan and the sedan will be the more comparable car. Nonetheless, as someone said earlier - the RS4 and M3 (either sedan or coupe) are very different cars with different qualities. Both excellent - one older than the other.

No big deal really...:)

IhateRWD
March 4th, 2008, 20:05
like you said RS4 is quicker no matter the weather and when comparing RS4 saloon vs M3 saloon, RS4 is quite much faster than the BMW. Why i hate beemers?Because don't desirve to compare to an Audi, to uneficient and to ugly for me. I always needed cars that i can go to the limit and not risking my life and that's all audi capable of doing. If you want donuts buy any bmw, but if you want a sportscar buy an audi. Yes i would like to be in a council or be a dealer of audi and i will be soon because is all i want, audi 24/7!

Rutkowsky
March 4th, 2008, 20:52
All you want from life is to be an Audi car sales man? Tell me again, what was that deal that fell through and you couldn't buy that RS4 cabrio last year? Something tells me, that you are actually not old enough to even get a drivers licence( :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: )

JavierNuvolari
March 4th, 2008, 21:01

http://rebelrockrunners.org/gallery/d/15309-2/ban_him.jpg

Xpower
March 4th, 2008, 21:19
Yes, the M3 coupe is faster than the sedan and the sedan will be the more comparable car.

I don't know if you heard a of a little magazine called Car & Driver that has been running for 60 years. They just tested the M3 sedan to be faster
than the M3 coupe. The 335 sedans have also been tested faster than the 335 coupe's. The weight difference is 22lbs, and most of that 22lbs weight difference is made up by the rear doors. This tends to give slightly more weight over the driven wheels and hence fractionally better traction.

But, at the end of the day, I think it really makes no difference to performance if it's 4 doors or 2, especially if the weight difference is only 22lbs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/furious_four_doors/2008_bmw_m3_sedan_short_take_road_test

M3 sedan 0-60 in 4.1
M3 coupe 0-60 in 4.3

M3 sedan 1/4 mile in 12.6
M3 coupe 1/4 mile in 12.8

Same magazine testing both cars.

Leadfoot
March 4th, 2008, 22:35
I would be surprised the M3 saloon to be quicker than the coupe in the majority of tests, but who knows, the saloon is only out and too few road tests have been conducted.

Back to the heated debate that IhateRWD has stirred up, in a standing start the RS4 should 90% of the time be the quickest to 100mph, this is always the advantage of having awd, your skill level to get a good start doesn't need to be that high and nowhere near as high as would be the case with a rwd car, especially one with as much power as the M3 and things will get even worse for the Beemer as the conditions worsen. But after 100mph or in a rolling start the BMW does look to has the advantage, at least the majority of the time, admittedly it a small advantage but it's an advantage none the less.

And no I don't consider the M6Board.com videos as a true reflection of the performance of either car.

Randy M
March 4th, 2008, 22:57
And no I don't consider the M6Board.com videos as a true reflection of the performance of either car.

Wonder how much they paid that guy in the RS4? Maybe a disgruntled Audi owner? Somethings going on there....:vhmmm:

Rage
March 4th, 2008, 23:29
Wonder how much they paid that guy in the RS4? Maybe a disgruntled Audi owner? Somethings going on there....:vhmmm:

Why?

They are comparable cars with awesome everyday driveability/performance......with almost exact straight line performance in the hands of all but the most expert drivers. You thnk you can achieve 0-60 in 4.1 (everytime) as C&D (no doubt best time) in a Manual transmission?

Check the Top Gear comparo....RS4 takes off quicker then gets overtaken By M3/C63? At what speed does it get overtaken?....im not sure......does it matter if youre not a race driver and on a runway/track? No.

Randy M
March 4th, 2008, 23:43
Does it take much talent to side step your clutch at an ungodly rpm to get a 4.1 to 60? And sorry but imo I can't trust a bimmer board to do a truthful test when Audi is public enemy #1 in their eyes.

I really enjoy Top Gear and try not to miss a single episode. Having said that I think the RS4 would have done better in their comparo if it wasn't given to Mays in the majority of the test. They always paint him as the big dud so he couldn't possibly win. I say this understanding the Stig's times of all 3 cars. Imo the M3 and the RS4 are as equal as two cars can be without being identical.

IhateRWD
March 5th, 2008, 07:46
i saw the test and "Captain Slow" was driving the RS4!Why is that?!If it was Stig or the "Nurbugring girl" than RS4 would be the fastest until the 250km/h limiter of those 3 cars. I made with an Performance Box device on my friend ("stock" back then) RS4 4.13s 0-62, and 0-60 was exactly 4.0s, 0-200km/h was in 15s, so now everybody understand that RS4 needs to be driven like a pro to be the fastest in the group?!RS4 it a has a perfect clutch but if you don't know how to manage the rev's when change gears don't botter to take off like a rocket in the RS4 B7.
p.s. i have my driver's licence for about 3.5 years from the age of 18, in april i will be 22 years old so on't talk shittie things like this to me. I would buy my special Audi sooner or later and then you'll found out how i am, how i drive, what kind of people i am. Please stop this crap about me, that's enough!

artur777
March 5th, 2008, 08:32
i saw the test and "Captain Slow" was driving the RS4!Why is that?!If it was Stig or the "Nurbugring girl" than RS4 would be the fastest until the 250km/h limiter of those 3 cars. I made with an Performance Box device on my friend ("stock" back then) RS4 4.13s 0-62, and 0-60 was exactly 4.0s, 0-200km/h was in 15s, so now everybody understand that RS4 needs to be driven like a pro to be the fastest in the group?!RS4 it a has a perfect clutch but if you don't know how to manage the rev's when change gears don't botter to take off like a rocket in the RS4 B7.
p.s. i have my driver's licence for about 3.5 years from the age of 18, in april i will be 22 years old so on't talk shittie things like this to me. I would buy my special Audi sooner or later and then you'll found out how i am, how i drive, what kind of people i am. Please stop this crap about me, that's enough!

If you wish to be respected here as most of other members - stop your CRAP about everything except Audi. We have been tired of your comments. And please change you writing style - it's impossible to read your posts written as one long sentence.

mbolo
March 5th, 2008, 10:09

A lot of speculation here. I was there and would obviously have loved to see the RS4 spank the M3. Nonetheless, there were three RS4:s there on the event and none of them matched the M3 at 200km/h and above. It's a faster car in that area - there's really not much to discuss here.

From a standing start the RS4 will always be quicker - and a lot easier to take off with too. Gustav, who drove the M3, handled the car well and only had one goal that day - to spank the RS4. So BMW fans can hardly claim driver effected the results either.

Why is this such a big deal. I think it's quite clear that the Audi delivers the most drivable and secure option, while the M3 when pushed, will engage all competent or over-enthusiastic drivers.

I've already made my choice.

mbolo
March 5th, 2008, 10:12
I don't know if you heard a of a little magazine called Car & Driver that has been running for 60 years. They just tested the M3 sedan to be faster
than the M3 coupe. The 335 sedans have also been tested faster than the 335 coupe's. The weight difference is 22lbs, and most of that 22lbs weight difference is made up by the rear doors. This tends to give slightly more weight over the driven wheels and hence fractionally better traction.

But, at the end of the day, I think it really makes no difference to performance if it's 4 doors or 2, especially if the weight difference is only 22lbs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/furious_four_doors/2008_bmw_m3_sedan_short_take_road_test

M3 sedan 0-60 in 4.1
M3 coupe 0-60 in 4.3

M3 sedan 1/4 mile in 12.6
M3 coupe 1/4 mile in 12.8

Same magazine testing both cars.

Car & Driver is obviously a magazine with a heritage, although in my experience tend to be a little too optimistic when it comes to 0 - 60 numbers. They generally post numbers than very few other magazines can achieve. Or maybe they've just got very talented drivers? :)

Anyway, my conclusion came from BMW:s own performance figures. I prefer to trust them.

13urt
March 5th, 2008, 14:11
Blimey! what a debate....

Does it really matter which is faster in a straight line, there is more to the whole driving experiance than hammering the car down a drag strip, Ive owned the Bmw M3 and they are trully great cars and both are as good as each other in my book, if you were offered the keys to either, i bet you wouldnt care wich you were given.

IhateRWD
March 5th, 2008, 14:45
the people which don't understand that you have all you need in the whole VAG group...
you want the fastest car buy an Veyron, you want super luxury car buy an Bentley, if you want a very fast and sexy coupe buy an A5/S5,if you want a supercar with 75% of abilities of the Veyron buy an Lambo or if you want so much style buy an R8, if you want something nice and little fast buy an VW (if you don't have money enough for something else), if you want comfort, space, power, design, extreme performance buy an RS or an S if the money are not enough. You don't even need others cars, the whole VAG has all it counts and want people...from VW,PORSCHE,SEAT,SKODA,AUDI,BENTLEY,KTM, BUGATTI, etc... i can say 1000 of reason why you shouldn't search a car in other group or car maker...so VAG is the best and that's it!

Leadfoot
March 5th, 2008, 15:30
I understand why you feel the way you do and in the case of VAG offering something for everyone, yeah that is very true, they are possibly the only company out there with such a versatile range but the facts are that not everyone wants to own a VAG branded product and there is numerous great products out there from other companies.

One example of where you opinions fall down is whether the RS4 as good as the GTR for similar money, I would say not but if you were to ask me would I own one over an RS4, then to be honest I would have to say I doubt it. I choose the Audi not because it's a better car, clearly it's not but would choose it purely for the fact that I don't feel Nissan has the image for carry off a car costing £55K regardless of how good it is and the looks don't appeal to me. There is no rights and wrongs in choosing a car, only opinions. And I feel that you are too narrow minded to give a rational opinion on things to get the respect you desperately require.

Everyone here knows I rate Audis above all else and know I am a so-called fanboy for the brand but they also know I respect other brands and can give a well judged and non-bias opinion on anything, including Audis themselves.

artur777
March 5th, 2008, 15:50
the people which don't understand that you have all you need in the whole VAG group...
you want the fastest car buy an Veyron, you want super luxury car buy an Bentley, if you want a very fast and sexy coupe buy an A5/S5,if you want a supercar with 75% of abilities of the Veyron buy an Lambo or if you want so much style buy an R8, if you want something nice and little fast buy an VW (if you don't have money enough for something else), if you want comfort, space, power, design, extreme performance buy an RS or an S if the money are not enough. You don't even need others cars, the whole VAG has all it counts and want people...from VW,PORSCHE,SEAT,SKODA,AUDI,BENTLEY,KTM, BUGATTI, etc... i can say 1000 of reason why you shouldn't search a car in other group or car maker...so VAG is the best and that's it!

So you love VAG Group
then you should love RWD Porsche 911S which is a wonderful car to own. or Cayman S for example.
Change you nick for "ILoveVAG":hahahehe: :jlol: :lovl: :dance:

Boosted-Bora
March 5th, 2008, 15:59

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/dbatgirl2/STFU_yoda.jpg

Randy M
March 5th, 2008, 17:26
A lot of speculation here. I was there and would obviously have loved to see the RS4 spank the M3. Nonetheless, there were three RS4:s there on the event and none of them matched the M3 at 200km/h and above. It's a faster car in that area - there's really not much to discuss here.

From a standing start the RS4 will always be quicker - and a lot easier to take off with too. Gustav, who drove the M3, handled the car well and only had one goal that day - to spank the RS4. So BMW fans can hardly claim driver effected the results either.

Why is this such a big deal. I think it's quite clear that the Audi delivers the most drivable and secure option, while the M3 when pushed, will engage all competent or over-enthusiastic drivers.

I've already made my choice.

Understood...:doh:

IhateRWD
March 5th, 2008, 18:35
I love Porsche because they know how to build an RWD EFFICIENT CAR! I hate only RWD BMW cars because are spinning and spinning tyres in 90% of the cases, and that's crap...efficient is all in a sportscar and bmw is building average "premium cars" with no sporty apealing, just making fans of spinning and destroying tyres, that's not hot, drift for me is a crap, don't make any sense at all...

Xpower
March 5th, 2008, 19:56
I would be surprised the M3 saloon to be quicker than the coupe in the majority of tests.

Car & Driver, MotorTrend, Road & Track, Sport Auto, & a few local mags in various countries have got the 335 sedan faster than the coupe. Like I said, a 1/4 mile race is all about cutting a good 60ft. The rest of the 1/4 mile is immaterial when the weight difference is 22lbs and the cars make the same power. If one car can get a slightlly better launch due to having slightly more weight over the driven wheels, then it will not be caught from behind. 2 cars with equal power means its impossible to run the other down.

Xpower
March 5th, 2008, 20:05
Car & Driver is obviously a magazine with a heritage, although in my experience tend to be a little too optimistic when it comes to 0 - 60 numbers. They generally post numbers than very few other magazines can achieve. Or maybe they've just got very talented drivers? :)

Weird that you say their times cannot be achieved my other mags. As Road & Track have tested a DIFFERENT M3 (as can be seen by it being a different colour), at a DIFFERENT track, with DIFFERENT drivers, and DIFFERENT testing equipment & they got even faster times that Car & Driver got.

Remember C&D got the M3 coupe at 4.3 for 0-60 & 12.8 for the 1/4 mile?

Well Road & Track got 0-60 in 4.1 & 12.5 1/4 mile @ 115mph

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=6283
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0208_RT_BMW_M3_datapanel.pdf

mbolo
March 5th, 2008, 20:49
Weird that you say their times cannot be achieved my other mags. As Road & Track have tested a DIFFERENT M3 (as can be seen by it being a different colour), at a DIFFERENT track, with DIFFERENT drivers, and DIFFERENT testing equipment & they got even faster times that Car & Driver got.

Remember C&D got the M3 coupe at 4.3 for 0-60 & 12.8 for the 1/4 mile?

Well Road & Track got 0-60 in 4.1 & 12.5 1/4 mile @ 115mph

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=6283
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0208_RT_BMW_M3_datapanel.pdf

I said Car & Driver generally produce faster 0 - 60 times than most other magazines. I thought this was a common opinion. That's also why I prefer to trust BMW:s own figures in the case of the M3 coupe vs. sedan.

Obviously, a test involves a lot more than the car in question (environment, driver, conditions etc) Until there's a proper comparison between the two versions of the M3, I find it irrelevant discussing separate test results and instead put more faith in the actual builders of the cars. I see no reason not to.

Xpower
March 5th, 2008, 21:02
I said Car & Driver generally produce faster 0 - 60 times than most other magazines. I thought this was a common opinion. That's also why I prefer to trust BMW:s own figures in the case of the M3 coupe vs. sedan.

Obviously, a test involves a lot more than the car in question (environment, driver, conditions etc) Until there's a proper comparison between the two versions of the M3, I find it irrelevant discussing separate test results and instead put more faith in the actual builders of the cars. I see no reason not to.

Fair enough, but how do you explain multiple mags testing the 335i sedan faster than the coupe? I'm talking baout 90% of magazines that have tested both, have got the sedan quicker. Despite BMW official claims that the coupe is quicker.

Is it perhaps that BMW & most other manufacturer's use a simulator to predict numbers and out in the real world a little thing like slightly better traction cannot be computed?

For example here is the Dragtimes listing for the fastest 335's to date. Bear in mind, that in the top 10 the mods are basically the same and hey all make similar power and they all run similar wheels/tyres for racing:

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--335i-Drag-Racing.html

The top 3 fastest 335's in dragtimes are all sedans. 4 out of the top 5 are all sedans. Look at the 60ft times. The sedans consistently get at least a tenth quicker.

Now we see Car & Driver getting the M3 sedan faster than the coupe. Coincidence?

Leadfoot
March 5th, 2008, 23:23
Xpower,

Can you explain why almost every roadtest performed in the US by US magazine seem to have their cars out performing their equivalent European magazines? There has to be a reason for this, be it temperature or surface grip because it's not just the M3 or BMWs in general but almost every brand perform best in US mags.

Either their road testers are better which I doubt or the more logical answer is that in the US the car manufacturers send 'special' cars for the job in hand.

Even the S5 has done a 4.5s 0-60mph time for heaven sake.

P.S.

Is it an American thing to be fascinated by acceleration. Here in Europe handling seems to take priority but it looks to be the opposite over the water or maybe it's just the fanboys that frequent the website that have the fascination with it.

artur777
March 5th, 2008, 23:56
Does all your thoughts mean that a little bit heavier sedan's back improves acceleration?
So, should we put some "bags of sand" in the back partof a car to improve traction?

Xpower
March 6th, 2008, 04:59
Does all your thoughts mean that a little bit heavier sedan's back improves acceleration?
So, should we put some "bags of sand" in the back partof a car to improve traction?

22lbs is hardly "heavier". One car having slightly more gas or a 22lb heavier driver offsets that.

And I am not saying the sedan is quicker than the coupe. I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying it doesn't really matter. The weight difference is negligible and it will boil down to the individual car/driver and test conditions.

Remember when Volvo ran the S60 in the British Touring Car Championship and they elected to run the station wagon instead of the sedan? They gave the reason of better weight distribution. I think the Volvo actually won the championship that year.

By the same token, I think the M3 sedan willl have better traction from a stop or exiting a tight turn. And, in turn, the M3 coupe might have the edge in other areas like high speed direction changes or chicanes. However, the differences I'm talking about are fractional, as it less that a tenth of a second.

But to be honest, I don't really think it's going to matter at all and the times are going to be virtually identical. Sorry to disappoint the crowd that have been complaining about comparing a coupe to a sedan, but hey did you really expect 22lbs to make a massive difference to performance?

Xpower
March 6th, 2008, 05:07
Xpower,

Can you explain why almost every roadtest performed in the US by US magazine seem to have their cars out performing their equivalent European magazines?

Car & Driver tested the RS4 at 13.2. That seems to be in line with the Euro mags? Am I right?

The 2WD cars get better times due to the great traction at the venues the US mags use. They cannot be compared to European mags that test on dusty airfields that are not maintained or the main straight of a circuit. Not a dedicated surface for drag racing.

Even 4WD cars might benefit a shade from slightly better traction.

IhateRWD
March 6th, 2008, 10:39
if someone demonstrate me that can beat for example a great driver in the new M3 an RS4 B7 with Walter Rohl or Kristensen or any other audi drivers than M3 will definitively faster. Never ever a mag didn't tested those 2 cars with the same tyres and with the same driver (good drivers) that's why is IRELEVANT that M3 is "quicker" in a test of a crappy magazine. Those "drivers" have the licence of sportscars drivers taken on Nurbugring?Those are highly trained drivers?I doubt that so when a REAL TEST and objective test will be done and the results will show that M3 is faster than i will shout out, but if nobody will do that, sorry but the reality is otherwise!
You can never drive an RS like an M, very different style of driving and gear changing!

Leadfoot
March 6th, 2008, 13:16
Car & Driver tested the RS4 at 13.2. That seems to be in line with the Euro mags? Am I right?

The 2WD cars get better times due to the great traction at the venues the US mags use. They cannot be compared to European mags that test on dusty airfields that are not maintained or the main straight of a circuit. Not a dedicated surface for drag racing.

Even 4WD cars might benefit a shade from slightly better traction.

What the US magazines are proving is the times they are getting will be unachievable to every normal owner and will give them false hope in beating cars like the RS4 at a set of street lights. Why test cars are a dray strip when the normal streets can't provide a similar surface grip, it sounds stupid to me and proves that regardless of the surface the awd car is unaffected by such things as surface differences, unlike it's two wheel drive rivals.

For me I will choice to rely on the magazines which pick a surface that provide a time I myself can achieve on the street, maybe the US mags should do the same.

Xpower
March 6th, 2008, 14:07
What the US magazines are proving is the times they are getting will be unachievable to every normal owner and will give them false hope in beating cars like the RS4 at a set of street lights. Why test cars are a dray strip when the normal streets can't provide a similar surface grip, it sounds stupid to me and proves that regardless of the surface the awd car is unaffected by such things as surface differences, unlike it's two wheel drive rivals.

For me I will choice to rely on the magazines which pick a surface that provide a time I myself can achieve on the street, maybe the US mags should do the same.

The street actually has far batter traction than a dusty, ill-maintained airfield. The times on the street are similar to the US mags. What is very good traction is a drag strip with a chemically engineered surface for drag racing with many layers of VHT & trackbite.

The US mags may well test on a grippy surface but its not prepped with trackbite. And on thwe road when you drive around your tyres are warm and the traction is pretty good.

Erik
March 6th, 2008, 15:41
Hello I'm back.

Now I haven't read everything in this thread, but is it not time to close it?

If you think I'm wrong please send me a pm.