PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible: supercharged V6 TDI. ?

The Pretender
March 1st, 2008, 12:31
I don't know but is it possible to make a supercharged V6 TDI. ?
You will probably ask why the question. ?
I just here confidential rumours that make me wonder if the Supercharged V6 is a Diesel instead of a petrol engine.
Further there are still a lot rumours floting around that say the new S4 will be like the S5 4.2 V8 engined.

Jarod.

Cargo8
March 1st, 2008, 16:34
supercharged V6 TDI or FSI? Are you saying dual charge? turbo + super?

The Pretender
March 1st, 2008, 16:41
supercharged V6 TDI or FSI? Are you saying dual charge? turbo + super?
I mean Turbo Diesel Injection single supercharged.

Jarod.

AndyBG
March 2nd, 2008, 02:51
I think that diesel just can't produce enough rev's for supercharger to be driven...

chewym
March 2nd, 2008, 03:02
No, no one makes a supercharged diesel.

The Pretender
March 2nd, 2008, 07:53
I think that diesel just can't produce enough rev's for supercharger to be driven...
In that case i think the 3.0TFSI V6 will just a extra engine in the range between the 265 hp 3.2 V6 FSI VL and the 354 hp 4.2 V8 FSI.
The 3.0TFSI V6 SC will have 290 hp in the new facelifted A6.

Jarod.

AndyBG
March 2nd, 2008, 22:51
290 hp is more likely to be that new biturbo 3.0 TDI..., after all Audi is in desperate need for that kind of engine.

PeterJohn
March 3rd, 2008, 06:12
Pretender, you suck at being "confidential". :vhmmm:

Mazda has one, and two stroke Diesels always come with superchargers, because they don't move enough airmass to justify an exhaust-charged turbo. Two strokes that do have a turbocharger come with the assistance of an electrical supercharger.

Turbos are "free energy". Superchargers are not, but give a much better performance across an rpm range. Since rpm range is not exactly a priority with Diesels, the turbo seems like the most economic choice.

chewym
March 3rd, 2008, 06:48
That's why no one makes a supercharged 4 stroke diesel. I say Audi will have a 290 hp TT V6 diesel and a 325 hp (for the A6) V6 supercharged gas engine. That would be nice.

Marv
March 3rd, 2008, 12:36
My money is on turbo diesel.
Because of the lower exhaust temperatures (compared to petrol) the variable vane geometry turbo is ecconomic for diesel and is well suited over the small rev range. Some applications (don't know about Audi) don't even need added complexity of a wastegate with variable vane technology. I can't see a SC being an advantage for diesel when VVG turbo is so sorted.

I guess the only reason for SC is if Audi have come up with a much higher revving diesel that goes beyind the operating parameters of a VVG turbo. Can't wait to find out - hope to hear some news at Geneve this week.