PDA

View Full Version : R8 successor?

tvrfan
February 23rd, 2008, 13:45
what do you think will there be a R8 Successor or was the R8 just a Brand sharper for audi and a image seller? i hope there will be one. i think there will be a R-model line like standard A-model or Q-model line. like rumors said there will be maybe in future a R4 and R10 (supercar above R8). what do you think? will the R-model line be forever and more of them or was the R8 just like BMW Z8 a brand sharper?

The Pretender
February 23rd, 2008, 13:59
All depends on a future R4 ?
If there will be a R4 it's also possible we will see a R6, R10 and R12 in the future.
But the Big Question is: will the R4 a addition to the Audi line, A TT replacement to the Audi line, or is the so called R4 just the TT Mk3 and will it be called R4. ?

jarod.

tvrfan
February 23rd, 2008, 14:18
no R4 wouldnt be a replacement for TT. R4 is a new model, that would compete with porsche cayman.

PS: so you think there will be a R8 successor?

The Pretender
February 23rd, 2008, 14:23
PS: so you think there will be a R8 successor?
Yes why not, if it will be called R8 again is a different story.

Jarod.

tvrfan
February 23rd, 2008, 14:43
thats what iam talking about, i hope the R8 will be a model like A4 in future. but more exlusive. so it will be named R8 for ever

Audiphile
February 25th, 2008, 18:17
The question is what would an R10 be exactly? You already have an R8 V12 TDI which is in essence a "R10". You have to think a little bit more deeply about this by looking at the overall picture of the Audi model line. In my opinion (and only my opinion), if you introduce an Audi with the designation of "10" or even "9" you will inadvertently lower the A8-Series line so it longer would be the flagship of Audi. This is where Audi would have to up the A8 into something like an A10, etc. or have an A8L W16 above or equal to the R10. That is why the A7 is not an A8. Both the R8 and the A8L W12 are in a similar price category (though not competitors to each other), they still represent equal flagships to one another. You cannot just introduce a model-line above these without hurting the prestige and value of the A8 or R8. Same thing would apply to the Q7 if you introduced an Q8, etc. The better way to go is to add high-end variants to the current series. If Audi was to introduce a R10 then an A10 would have to follow surely for marketing and brand reasons. You are then looking at a competitor against Bentley (which I have no problem as Audi is already heading into that direction anyway) although the W12 is already better than the Flying Spur in execution. Just my thoughts.

tvrfan
February 25th, 2008, 18:21
youre comparing apple to oranges. you cant compare R8 and A8. and R10 over a A8 (name wise) thats no problem because, the A8 is a luxus-limo and the R10 will probably be a supersportscar ;-)

Audiphile
February 25th, 2008, 18:30
youre comparing apple to oranges. you cant compare R8 and A8. and R10 over a A8 (name wise) thats no problem because, the A8 is a luxus-limo and the R10 will probably be a supersportscar ;-)

I disagree with you on that. You are looking at it only from a performance viewpoint and not a marketing and branding viewpoint. Although, they are not similar as one is a sports car and the other a luxury saloon, you cannot raise the R series so above the A8 series that the A8 looses prestige. MB does this with the SLR and it doesn't necessary work in terms of success. If Audi introduces an R10 or higher in the sports category then they have to distinguish it in a way so the A8-Series image is not perceived as "less". Since you already have a W12 that costs around $150,000 fully optioned, the an R8 V12 TDI is not problem nor is the R8 V10 or V8. Engines already available in the A8L (Audi is very clever, they are adding the V12 TDI to the next generation A8L - proves my point that they are keeping the A8 and R -series in line with one another from a flagship point of view). That is all I am saying. You need to keep continuity across the model lines so brand perception is maintained for all models. The A4 indirectly benefits from the R8 - right? You do not want huge gaps between model lines. Audi has always been very good at handling the model aspect for their brand.

tvrfan
February 25th, 2008, 19:21
ah ok now i understand what you mean. ;-)

Audiphile
February 25th, 2008, 23:13
ah ok now i understand what you mean. ;-)

It makes some sense, doesn't it? Also, I realized after I did the post that Audi is already thinking ahead in this area. Consider that the next generation A8-Series to launch in 2009/2010 will START with a 420-425 bhp V8. Isn't that already what the R8 and RS4 have? They will add the V12 TDI I assume around 500-520 bhp and the W12 should go up to 550 bhp which it already has in the Bentley (just speculation or a bit less - I think it depends on how Bentley trends). I have heard that the next generation S8 will be at 600 bhp utilizing the V10 TT out of the RS6 which everyone says is actually 600 bhp. So there is no way that Audi will let the A8-Series drop below the R8 in overall flagship status.

The question that I play with is there ever going to be a model (luxury-wise) higher than the A8, say an A9 or A10? With that you can introduce a R10 or R12 to the line up. I think that Audi will eventually create a new luxury flagship in say 10 years possibly or the A8 will have to keep rising higher to make room for the A6 and A7. An A10 would be the ultimate of luxury sedans if this was the case.

chewym
February 26th, 2008, 06:17
For the near future the R8 will be limited somewhat by the Gallardo LP 550. The R8 V10 and the LP 550 will probably use the same engine, but the Audi will have less paper horsepower.

MR USER
February 26th, 2008, 17:02
how about R10 as the first green supercar?

In other words why not attempting such a move! they proved this bold concept by the R10 Diesel Racecar and now with the R8 diesel prototype... Soon the hybrid mania will start and people will turn greener... whether they want it or not! why not having Audi leading the way with a monster car running on alternative?

Also I would love seein Audi #1 in all categories... not for pure performance but for power to weight ratio! in other words Audi as leader of lightweight!