PDA

View Full Version : Can't Afford Incoming RS6. Options?

Cannondale
June 30th, 2003, 18:54
I've been watching this forum for some time while I awaited the arrival of my RS6 dream car. Unfortunately, a lousy business climate for me this year prevents me from being able to afford this car. Needless to say, it tears my heart out. Now, I am contemplating my options as my arrival day approaches (I've been at Milestone 5 for a week.) I placed a $5000 deposit on the car when I ordered it. Am I liable to the dealer to purchase the car or else forfeit my deposit, or can I just tell him I changed my mind and get my deposit back. Should I attempt to sell the car before it arrives? If so, do you think it would be possible to make a quick profit on the transaction (and how much since I am paying list price) or is the incoming supply greater than the demand? Has anyone bargained their dealer to below list price? I am expecting the car to arrive at the dealership near the end of July. Would that influence someone's decision? (a bird in the hand...) The car is Daytona Grey with ebony interior, carbon fibre, nav, and rear airbags. I have seen a few ads in Autoweek from speculators, but the ads have been there for several weeks, so I guess the cars haven't been sold yet. Alas, I am beside myself. I really want this car, but I'm going to have to act soon to resolve this dilemma. Any advice?

Erik
June 30th, 2003, 19:39
I guess that you should try and sell it at list as soon as possible.
I also think that you should contact the dealer straight away and explain. Maybe he has a customer for it already or at least help you out? It would be in his interest as well.

I hope you'll be able to get out of the deal and sleep better in the night - and of course that you'll be able to afford the RS6 sometime in the future.

Bauer
June 30th, 2003, 20:14
Cannondale,

If you are in California the deposit is fully refundable and I would suspect that other states are similar. I would also consider posting it on E-Bay as I have seen spots go for as much as 5K. I hope this helps and sorry to hear you cant keep the car.

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 ordered

jconley
June 30th, 2003, 21:23
Sorry to hear it. Depending on where you are located, and whether or not you contracted away some or all of your rights you should be able to get all of your deposit back. For Example, I signed a contract saying mine was refundable minus $50, upto the day the car gets here.

I would talk to the dealer TODAY and give him the best chance to find a new buyer. He may already have one waiting...

J

Speedracer
June 30th, 2003, 22:10
I've been looking at the Ebay auctions. The allocations aren't reaching their reserve prices, or aren't going for much. There's a lotof misinformation in the ads. They are calling the cars 2004 models and saying that only 860 are being built.

Klint
June 30th, 2003, 23:55
That's ashame. :(

Hope things get better and inform the dealership ASAP, they should be more than understandable about the financial changes your experiencing.

:cheers:

Kyle
July 1st, 2003, 00:56
I can't really afford mine, either, but I'm going to buy it anyway! ;) When I got on the waiting list, I was #7 at my dealership. My car should be here anytime now and it will be the first delivery there. What happenned to the other 6 people? I wouldn't count on much of a premium. Hopefully, you can get your $5K back. I was told mine was non-refundable.

eph94
July 1st, 2003, 06:23
Originally posted by Kyle
What happenned to the other 6 people?

I was #24 or #25 on the waiting list at my Boston-area dealer, and now I am #5 in line to get the RS6. Believe it or not, I was able to place my order without a deposit. I really shouldn't be buying it either, but how many people can TRULY justify dropping 85 large on a car? For some odd reason, my wife is behind me on this one so I am taking advantage of it.

Benman
July 1st, 2003, 15:17
Originally posted by JJV-MA
I really shouldn't be buying it either, but how many people can TRULY justify dropping 85 large on a car? For some odd reason, my wife is behind me on this one so I am taking advantage of it.

i shouldn't be buying mine as well but here goes nothing. my wife is behind the purchase as well despite the fact that the RS 6 is out of our price range. i tell ya, there's nothing like having a REALLY supportive wife:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Bauer
July 1st, 2003, 16:55
I think anyone could say it is not the wisest thing to go spending this much on a car but I would never drive a Honda or any other comuter car for that matter. In fact who am I kidding I have NEVER owned any other make of car so I really don't have a choice in the matter I "HAVE" to buy this car. As for supportive wifes they are the best. Although I have turned mine into an Audi FREAK as well and I know I will be battling her for the keys to the RS6.

Speedracer
July 1st, 2003, 17:45
My wife is afraid of the RS6 ever since Randy Pobst told my son that he couldn't imagine anyone buying one that didn't have some racing experience. LOL

eph94
July 1st, 2003, 17:51
Originally posted by Bauer
I know I will be battling her for the keys to the RS6.

Uh-oh, I'm beginning to sense an ulterior motive in my wife's "support"! My wife COULDN'T drive my 540 since it's a stick, but now... It looks like we might be having a race TO THE GARAGE every day! :addict: :race:

jconley
July 1st, 2003, 17:55
My girlfriend just wants me to get it so I shut up about when it might get here!

:)

J

Bauer
July 1st, 2003, 19:19
JJV-MA,

You might want to have a little heart to heart about the incomming car with your wife. It won't help with me I know I am screwed. She currently drives our S8 (she would say its hers) and comes home telling me how she raced this Porsche and that BMW. All I think to myself is I am sure our insurance agent would love to hear that. :incar:

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4(modified)
03 RS6 ordered

avdh
July 2nd, 2003, 12:42
Although it may sound extravagent to buy an RS6, let's face it we only live once.
Even though I am not 100% sure right now that I will be able to afford my RS6 in November, a recent incident is persuading me to go ahead and buy it anyway.

The incident was my best friend going to hospital last week with a very serious brain tumour.
The operation was successful and my friend will have hopefully many years to live, but who knows what around the corner for all of us?

My son's comment, after my friend was taken to the hospital: Dad, you ARE buying the RS6, regardless. You can sell my S3 if you have to. - Isn't that sweet or what? :)
My wife is only 50% OK with the RS6....

Rally
July 2nd, 2003, 16:35
Andre, very sorry to hear about your best friend. I have the same thoughts these days after losing my father to a brain tumor last year.

I think you're doing a great job sharing your car enthusiasm with your son and the RS6 will further that endeavour.

Good luck,
Greg

Finnus
July 2nd, 2003, 16:47
Dad, you ARE buying the RS6, regardless. You can sell my S3 if you have to.

Avdh,

You'll probably have to fight your son for the RS6 if he's giving up the S3. LOL

Finnus

avdh
July 2nd, 2003, 17:25
I don't think I would have the guts to take my son's S3 away from him...

Finnus
July 2nd, 2003, 19:11
avdh I don't think I would have the guts to take my son's S3 away from him...

Avdh,

That's probably because he would consider it a trade and you'd never see the RS6!:D

Finnus

TheBrit
July 3rd, 2003, 20:59
Originally posted by Speedracer
My wife is afraid of the RS6 ever since Randy Pobst told my son that he couldn't imagine anyone buying one that didn't have some racing experience. LOL
Racing experience? Does 5 years of quattro ownership and a daily commute down 35 miles ofcountry road count as "racing experience"? :D