PDA

View Full Version : trouble for RS4 - E92 M3 starts at $54,575

rks838
February 16th, 2008, 04:29
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=124806?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*

The RS4 starts at $66,910. The S4 starts at $48,610. And, the new M3 sedan starts at...$54,575!!! I see a problem here - the M3 and RS4 are in the exact same performance league. And let's face it, most RS4 buyers take at least a glance at the M3 before writing a check to Audi. It only takes a glance to see that the incredibly similar M3 is over $12,000 less than the RS4! As an RS4 fanatic, even I would seriously consider buying the M3.

Did Audi, playing on a (arguably) higher level than the E46 M3 and the C55 AMG for a couple of years, simply charge such a high price for the RS4 because they could, because the RS4 had no true competition? Did they anticipate the B7 RS4's run ending right as the new M3 came out? Or did they not expect such a low base price for the M3 from BMW?

Or, does Audi simply know that the RS4 is such a lower-volume car than the M3 that people will buy it even thought it's $12,000 more expensive?

In any case, if the RS4 was directly competing against the E92 M3, the Audi showrooms against the BMW showrooms next door, I have trouble picturing many customers buying the RS4. $12,000? That's huge.

However, what is more relevant is this issue - won't an S4 driver have trouble justifying his purchase when he could have gotten 80 more horsepower, and wholly better performance car, with the E92 M3? Or are S4 and M3 buyers actually in distinct classes from one another? Right now, I think that SOME S4 buyers are also looking at the M3, and that some are not, and vice-versa with M3 buyers looking at the S4.

Tony Lam
February 16th, 2008, 08:07
rks838, i know what u mean here but u know what....in hong kong the new M3 cost $1.37m "it's about USD $175,641" & new RS 4 cost $1.23m "it's about USD $157,962" it makes about $18000 different, however the new C63AMG cost only $1.1M "it's about USD $141,025".....that's why i only see 1 new M3 on the street so far................!!:noshake:

Cargo8
February 16th, 2008, 17:27
Korea, and Hong Kong, etc. have RIDICULOUS prices for cars...
I think that it is definitely an issue, but somewhat minor. The RS4 is not meant to be a mass production car, it is and has always been planned to be a limited production car (ending reasonably soon...). The M3 wants to seel 100,000 units or some such thing. This could be one reason. The alternate is simply that Audi has always charged more for their cars in the same bracket, for true audi enthusiasts (i suppose) will pay for the extra fit and finish of audis, which is arguably, but mostly agreed upon, as superior. However, yes, to the average Joe choosing his next car, he will choose BMW for bang/for/buck, perhaps, or Audi simply for comfort (not RS or S, etc). This may be hurting Audi's reputation and widespread consumer market, but who cares. We just have to deal with more "So Audi is like one step below BMW right?" comments, but I don't really care. Do you?

AuditudeA642
February 16th, 2008, 17:47
Sorry to burst your bubble but have you seen what you get for 54k. No nav, no heated seats, 18" wheels, no carbon roof, no sunroof, no leather seats, no back up sensors the list goes on and on. I priced out an M3 with Carbon Roof, Leather seats, Navigation and the optional 19's for shits and giggles and they wanted 74k. Thats more than an RS4. If you want an M3 with Corolla options then be my guest and pay 54k.

AuditudeA642
February 16th, 2008, 19:17
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/BYO/ByoHome.aspx?namodelcode=0854

Here is an M3 Sedan Priced out with every option my RS4 has. Came out to 67,945. So sticker price is a couple thousand less than the RS4. The difference is the RS4 is elite and there are not alot around. You will see 10 m3's a day compared to 1-2 rs4's a month if that.

JWC
February 17th, 2008, 22:16
Not to mention AWD must cost a few dollars more than RWD. IMHO you just can't base cars value / price on performance alone. Cheap interiors on the new 3's can also save you a few dollars. Heck a stock EVO will run with them for thousands less but it's still a Lancer!

MrBucket
February 17th, 2008, 23:41
I doubt there will be more than just a few m3 sold in the us for under 55k, bmw makes it look like the car is a good bit cheaper until you actually want any options in them. Audi had pretty much just one option package for the RS4 for $4700 which loaded the car up completely. BMW gets you for just about everything the RS4 came with stock or in that option package.

mbolo
February 18th, 2008, 12:32
I speced a sedan out as with my RS with premium package. Landed on a sturdy healthy €87´. That's a lot of money for a car with a cheap plastic spoiler and old rear lights.

On the same note, I have to admit that it is growing on me.. Like to see a touring version of it too...

PetrolDave
February 18th, 2008, 13:12
Like to see a touring version of it too...
Until BMW make an M3 Touring available it won't even appear on my list of cars - I need the practicality of an estate/Avant/Touring, which is why I have an RS4 Avant (my previous 3 Audis have all been Avants too - 2 x S4 + 1 x 1.9 TDi Sport).

BMW do an M5 Touring, so why not an M3 Touring???

+44 Dave
February 18th, 2008, 16:56
The M3 doesnt really have any competition from Audi at the moment now that RS4 is out of production. If you want an RS4 but fear it costs more in the US than an M3 buy one second hand.

Also the reason its more expensive is because its imported especially, there are very few RS4's in the US. In the UK where we recieve a large proportion of RS cars the RS4 used to cost less than the new M3.

raulg
February 18th, 2008, 17:39
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/BYO/ByoHome.aspx?namodelcode=0854

Here is an M3 Sedan Priced out with every option my RS4 has. Came out to 67,945. So sticker price is a couple thousand less than the RS4. The difference is the RS4 is elite and there are not alot around. You will see 10 m3's a day compared to 1-2 rs4's a month if that.

Indeed, the price difference is only a few thousands for the same options, still cheaper but not with 12k cheaper!

I would have no problem paying a little more on an RS4 since I get the quattro and an interior I love, my issue is the fact the new RS4 is far away and I have a problem buying NOW the B7 when the B8 platform is out. I like the new body and new interior, I don't wanna get the current RS4 because of that and the new one is far away... I might end up with the B8 S4 in the meantime...

:rs4addict

rks838
February 18th, 2008, 20:25
Well, to play devil's advocate, I think there are many people who will pass on heated seats, navigation, and gimmicky carbon-fiber roofs (if no other company has turned to this, well, it's not necessary...) solely to get the 420hp engine. I just built a thrifty M3 for $57K, and I have a feeling that I wouldn't be worried about the lack of heated seats when scooting through traffic or driving a mountain road! Although they ARE necessities for many, perhaps most, people these days, navi systems, heated seats, parking sensors, etc. were not even options ten years ago. There are going to be a good number of pure driving buffs who get the M3 in the mid $50s. The engine is what you cannot get in a Corolla. Even the lack of leather is apparently justified - BMW got criticized for this with their last M3, but obviously a good number of buyers went for that, because they're doing the same thing a full 8 years later! BMW and Audi are not trying to build the exact same car for the exact same market, I now realize...

(By the way, my humble opinion is that navigation systems are ridiculous wastes of money! Unless you're a common road-tripper, what's wrong with a $20 paper map of your home city?!)

The volume point is quite legitimate. 100,000 M3s is gonna make them a dime a dozen. Audi is not trying to make gobs of money with the RS4, it's trying to make a brand statement. At the least, the RS4's goal is more in this direction than that of the M3.

Actually, Audi had to be fully aware that their RS4 would never really be in showrooms at the same time as the M3. In any case, they seemed to price the RS4 intelligently, considering the overall circumstances.

Randy M
February 19th, 2008, 23:28
I bought a new RS4 less than a month ago. Fully optioned the new M3 is a few thousand USD less than the RS4, but for me quattro is worth several thousand dollars over any rear wheel drive car; and the fit, finish and interior appointments are a few steps above the new M3.

Charles DLF
February 20th, 2008, 11:28
let's just say that's the cost of styling and design... i'd pay for it any given day...

Alright, i'm out of here!

Xpower
February 20th, 2008, 18:46

Randy M
February 20th, 2008, 18:55
How does that work? M3 sedan with 19"wheels and moonroof comes to $57K incl destination & handling.RS4 sedan is $66 910 with no destination. They have the same xtra's except the BM has 4 year maintenance plan included in the price.

The RS4 has much more than just 19's and a sunroof. That's how it works...

Enjoy your 4 oil changes...

Xpower
February 20th, 2008, 19:51
The RS4 has much more than just 19's and a sunroof. That's how it works...

Enjoy your 4 oil changes...

It may well be 4 oil changes. It may not be. The point is the M3 has 4yr maintenance, 4yr warranty & 4yr roadside assistance which the RS does not. There is a significant cost involved in having the infrastructure to support such an offering. I'm sure you will belittle any extra the M3 has that the RS4 doesn't, but someone, somewhere may be thankful for it one day and be prepared to pay for peace of mind.

MrBucket
February 20th, 2008, 21:10
It may well be 4 oil changes. It may not be. The point is the M3 has 4yr maintenance, 4yr warranty & 4yr roadside assistance which the RS does not. There is a significant cost involved in having the infrastructure to support such an offering. I'm sure you will belittle any extra the M3 has that the RS4 doesn't, but someone, somewhere may be thankful for it one day and be prepared to pay for peace of mind.
When buying a car like the RS4 its easy to get the dealership to throw in the maintenance.

Xpower
February 20th, 2008, 22:33
When buying a car like the RS4 its easy to get the dealership to throw in the maintenance.

And in turn, it's easy to get some other stuff thrown in when you buy an M3. But it still starts out 10% cheaper and ends up 10% cheaper. I don't think there's any way around that. I'm not saying it isn't worth 10% more. That depends on what you want from the car.

Randy M
February 20th, 2008, 22:44
You're wrong about that. the M3 is actually 25% 'cheaper' in quality but you're only paying 10% less for that car. So imo the RS4 is worth more.

JWC
February 21st, 2008, 00:34
Randy are you sure bout that 25%, you sure bout that 25%, are you? I think after driving my friends 335 it's more like 28-30 % cheaper. The interior on his car isn't much better than my 08 F150 Ford Truck. I'll have an RS4 please and you can add the 10% to the price.

Xpower
February 21st, 2008, 07:21
To each his own. I guess if you are a poser then sure the aluminium might turn you on.

But all the magazines like Evo etc, are finding that if you buy your car for driving as opposed to posing or showing you life partner the cup-holders, then the M3 is the superior driving machine and hence should cost more.

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2008, 11:49
But all the magazines like Evo etc, are finding that if you buy your car for driving as opposed to posing or showing you life partner the cup-holders, then the M3 is the superior driving machine and hence should cost more.

As someone who is due to change from an Audi S5 to the M3 I can give an insight into why I reckon the RS4 is worth the extra.

Firstly on the quality of finish, looks and image I reckon Audi has BMW licked, the interior design and feel good factor is something to behold and until you live with the Audi for a few weeks instead of a brief test drive you really can't understand the appeal of why even though the BMW maybe to more enjoyable at the limit, it's not the better overall package.

Secondly, the performance different between the RS4 and the M3 isn't as marked as you are being lead to believe, on a course like the world famous ring in Germany the M3 could only pull a 4 second improvement over the RS4, that equates to roughly 0.6s every mile and when you consider that between 80~140mph the M3 is roughly 0.5s quicker in acceleration and they both are doing this maybe 8 times through the course of one lap it shows that on cornering ability both are as good as each other and this is in the dry, the ideal conditions for the M3. Take into account that when conditions worsen then the advantage reverses in favour of the RS4, though not by the little 4s that the M3 had but to an estimated 15s advantage in favour of the RS4 over the M3.

So is the RS4 worth the extra 10% over that of the M3, well that depends on whether or not you get a lot of rain/snow in a year, if the answer is yes then 10% extra is a small price to pay for what is a better finished, better all weather performance and more exclusive package. If the answer is no then it comes down to personal opinion and taste, but I still reckon the RS4 is worth the extra cost involve if only for it's finish and exclusivity, but maybe I am a little bit more bias toward the Audi brand.

KarlMarx
February 21st, 2008, 12:34
To each his own. I guess if you are a poser then sure the aluminium might turn you on.

Er right - I guess you're right. I mean, who buys BMW for the image?

:noshake::noshake::noshake::noshake: :noshake::noshake::noshake::noshake: :noshake::noshake::noshake::noshake: :noshake::noshake::noshake::noshake: :noshake::noshake::noshake::noshake: :noshake::noshake::noshake::noshake: :noshake::noshake::noshake::noshake:

JWC
February 21st, 2008, 14:07
Very good write up Leadfoot. KarlMarx not me, now where's my driving gloves LOL. Oh, I don't need them anymore we traded in the 5 series BMW for an Audi S6 I guess we are just posers that like cup holders.

gjg
February 21st, 2008, 15:19

yeah ...... :doh:

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2008, 15:59
gjg,

That colour looks familiar, can you not get an M5 is that shade of Brown. :hihi:

KarlMarx
February 21st, 2008, 16:00
Apparently you can, with matching diarrhoea-beige leather interiors.

Goes like sh*t off a shovel..

(boom boom)

Xpower
February 21st, 2008, 18:03
Leadfoot, it's not about the M3 being only 10% faster. It's 100% more fun to drive for those that have the skills. But if that isn't your game, then I guess it's a moot point.

And there is nothing wrong with a BMW interior. The Audi interior is better for those that prefer more aluminium and the round vents, but the rest is about the same. BMW designed it to be plain an uneventful. Some people like that. I don't, but some people may.

gjg
February 21st, 2008, 20:17
Leadfoot, it's not about the M3 being only 10% faster. It's 100% more fun to drive for those that have the skills. But if that isn't your game, then I guess it's a moot point..

Damn, Leadie, take a course .... (looks more like intercourse at the moment :jlol: ) ......bang, bang...... :harass:

One of the (main) reasons why most of the magazines give such a high marks to bmw tests is that most of the media "test" drivers do not know how to properly drive 4wd - this topic been discussed here before so I'll not beat the dead horse ....:thumb:

gjg
February 21st, 2008, 20:19
And there is nothing wrong with a BMW interior. The Audi interior is better for those that prefer more aluminium and the round vents, but the rest is about the same. BMW designed it to be plain an uneventful. Some people like that. I don't, but some people may.

I have no polished aluminum in my rsr6 ....... except the + badge/gear shifter ....

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2008, 21:49
Leadfoot, it's not about the M3 being only 10% faster. It's 100% more fun to drive for those that have the skills. But if that isn't your game, then I guess it's a moot point.

Sorry mate but where did you get the idea that the M3 is 10% faster.:vhmmm:

More fun, well may be but only if your thing is being able to throw the tail with easy, on this the M3 is a hoot. As for the skill element, sorry but wrong it may be easier to drive an awd close to the limit but takes great technical skill to drive the car to it's limits. The difference is that with a rwd car the limits when reached will bite back at the inexperienced but these limits are much easier reached though more different to control

I am at a lose as to why you think Audi interiors are full of aluminum and round vents, my Audis of which have been many have never had much alloy at all and compared to the alloy option on the M3 dash it definitely a lot less on the Audi and as for the round vents, only two models offer it.

One thing Audi do offer is real carbon fibre which is sadly missing on the M3, which is a shame. I agree that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the BMW interior but compared to the fit and finish of the Audi it does feel and look second best.

Xpower
February 21st, 2008, 22:10
Sorry mate but where did you get the idea that the M3 is 10% faster.:vhmmm:

Yeah, you right. It's a lot more than 10% faster. Especially if you look at the Road & Track test that got a 12.5 1/4 mile time. I guess you could say UNDER IDEAL CONDITIONS it is like 100% faster, but under normal conditions, it's only 10% faster.

As for the skill element, sorry but wrong it may be easier to drive an awd close to the limit but takes great technical skill to drive the car to it's limits.

Bullsh1t! It understeers on the limit. As it should. So you need to kerb the understeer. How do you do that? You carry less speed in. It doesn't take any more or any less technical skill to drive a 4WD car fast. The concepts are the same.

I agree that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the BMW interior but compared to the fit and finish of the Audi it does feel and look second best.

The fit & finish is the same. None is better than the other. The overall look of the Audi is more modern and "fresh". But the quality is the same.

Damienr8
February 21st, 2008, 22:26
The RS4 and M3 were created with performance in mind. The ways in which they go about achieving that "performance", are different. BMW, being a RWD automobile has that edgy, wild factor. Being able to fling that rear end out on a sharp turn is undoubtably fun and makes the driving experience very fulfuilling. The RS4 goes about it in a different way. The exit speed around corners and the mind-boggling traction in wary situations inspires both excietment and confidence. (the above being just examples or their performance abilities).

In the end, they are both drivers cars. They are performance oriented machines, in the same vechicle "class", that appeal to different audiences. To serious potential buyers, the slight difference in numbers (0-60, lap time, etc.) for each car, would not be a purchasing factor. The application of the car will. For instance, as I live in CT/NY, I would purchase the RS4 over the M3 due because above all, it's AWD system will be very beneficial to be in the winter time (my personal choice). Other factors such as brand loyalty, design preferences, etc. will come into play afterwards.

In the case of price. I am sure it is one of the bigger factors, and the M3 does offer great value for the money. However, saying that the RS4 is in trouble because of it's cost, is not true. There are numerous reasons why the RS4 commands a higher premium... many of them have been covered in this thread already.

Leadfoot
February 21st, 2008, 22:34
Xpower,

Based on your comments and the way you react to criticism. If I didn't know better I reckon you use to be on this site under a different name.

Please come clean. ;)

raulg
February 21st, 2008, 23:38

Please check with any (ANY) magazine out there, and come back with one (1) single example where the interior in the BMW is even close to the interior of the Audi in their (reviewers, writers, whatever) opinion. Quality may be the same or not, but when it comes about the look of interior, and the general feeling, Audi wins.

At least give me that - since all reviews (US) will give the edge to the bimmer as a better driver car. So if you agree with the last statement please make sure you agree with the first statement (on each review).

Overall, the M3 is a few thousands cheaper, I would have no problem paying 3-5k more for an RS4. I am sure many others will share my opinion, based on a better interior, quattro, the feeling (I don't like RWD that much, I will always choose 4x4 over that), the safety, the day by day usability or maybe just the fact of brand loyalty.

Charles DLF
February 21st, 2008, 23:44
i think every one should have a look at autocar's review of the new rs6. The driver (i forgot his name) is damn right about the fact that the M5 is more tail happy than the RS6 (great for magazines and tv shows), BUT THE TRUTH IS THOSE CARS ARE DAILY DRIVERS. Therefore, what most of us are looking for is a safe, fast ride. Tail happy cars are tracked cars, and if you want one, get a GT3 and an S3 as a board member just did. Same applies to RS4/M3... Most of us don't have skills nor wills to slide cars around corners on our way to work... Let's be sensible here fellows!

Charles DLF
February 21st, 2008, 23:45
Xpower,

Based on your comments and the way you react to criticism. If I didn't know better I reckon you use to be on this site under a different name.

Please come clean. ;)

Xpower = M3russi... nooooo, he's gone...

Right Xpower?

Xpower
February 22nd, 2008, 06:41
Therefore, what most of us are looking for is a safe, fast ride. Tail happy cars are tracked cars,!

With the driver aids on, no car is tail happy.

And for those looking for my identity,

I AM THE STIG!

Xpower
February 22nd, 2008, 06:51
There is nothing "wrong" with any large manufacturer's interior. They all have large budgets and dedicated teams around ergonomics and interior deisgn. You aren't going to die in a BMW interior. Some are better than others, but that's subjective and the quality is about the same. This is a 1-series interior and not even an ///M car. Now in my opinion Audi is better, but there's nothing wrong with this:

http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/albums/BMW/135i/BMW-135i-Coupe-widescreen-033.jpg

gjg
February 22nd, 2008, 07:14
You aren't going to die in a BMW interior. Some are better than others, but that's subjective and the quality is about the same. This is a 1-series interior and not even an ///M car. Now in my opinion Audi is better, but there's nothing wrong with this:

this is Corrola/Kia/Hundai interior with $25k badge option and it only proves my point, dear STINK ... :doh:

Charles DLF
February 22nd, 2008, 09:34
there is nothing wrong with that interior, just not as refined as audi's... IMO everything looks "fat", heavy, not elegant... But that's just a matter of taste.

KarlMarx
February 22nd, 2008, 10:13
i think every one should have a look at autocar's review of the new rs6. The driver (i forgot his name) is damn right about the fact that the M5 is more tail happy than the RS6 (great for magazines and tv shows), BUT THE TRUTH IS THOSE CARS ARE DAILY DRIVERS. Therefore, what most of us are looking for is a safe, fast ride. Tail happy cars are tracked cars, and if you want one, get a GT3 and an S3 as a board member just did. Same applies to RS4/M3... Most of us don't have skills nor wills to slide cars around corners on our way to work... Let's be sensible here fellows!

Can anyone else hear that thud?

It's Charles DLF hitting the nail squarely on the head (in other words - I reckon he's spot on).

:thumb:

Leadfoot
February 22nd, 2008, 11:18
I believe in Xpower we had someone spoiling for an argument, which is very reminiscent of RussianM3_dude. Don't know if it's him but there is similarities.

In any case, lets take the 1 series as the example of BMW's design and quality. Looks at the instruments cover, sat-nav and where the dash meets the doors, all of these points are poorly executed. The only part which looks decent in the actual centre console area where the stereo and heating controls are.

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/7/Y/_/ag_07a3_interior.jpg
Audi A3 interior with sat-nav...........what more proof is required.

BigRick
February 22nd, 2008, 16:17

Right on! Nothing else is worth saying once that has been said :rs4kiss:

How many of us (bimmer included) are professional drivers? I mean have a professional driving license. Then from that really small group how many are tracking their daily cars?

I think we'll be lucky to get 5-10 persons that will answer yes to both of these...now, what's the reason to get a tail happy car if you're unable to enjoy it and you might hurt yourself trying.

We're all there talking about those 4 sec around the ring while most of us would probably be a minute behind (or in the ditch with a M3!) so what's the point. You like the M3 better, go ahead buy one and save 2000$. You don't like it buy something else and enjoy it. I personnaly chose the RS4 two years ago and I'm glad I made that choice... that's all that really matters at the end.

rks838
February 22nd, 2008, 19:05
Sorry, but we need to keep in mind, "to each his own." Audi interiors ARE generally favored, but that doesn't mean everybody cares. XPower's got a point - there is nothing wrong with the BMW interior. I would actually argue it looks a little "cleaner" than Audi interiors, aside from maybe the R8.

Now, Audi interiors being generally better than BMWs, is it worth thousands of bucks? Up to you...

JWC
February 25th, 2008, 04:13
That and AWD.... you bet.

PetrolDave
February 25th, 2008, 12:23
That and AWD.... you bet.
What price the safety of your family?

For me BMW don't even appear on my shortlist, because they don't make an M3x Touring - so they fail to meet 2 of my non-negotiable buying criteria.

JWC
February 25th, 2008, 15:32
PetrolDave I agree, heck I chose the S6 over the M5 for my wife to drive. I was answering the post #46; "is the Audi worth thousands more for interiors being better?". It's more than interior quality IMHO that makes the price of an Audi higher than a BMW. Some of the price difference is the fact that the Audi has such a good AWD system.

nyrs6
March 7th, 2008, 06:05
First of all Audi made a huge mistake in taking away thier free maintance :nono: (BMW still has free maintance).

I am a huge audi fan but honestly, Audi got caught with thier pants down after the Lexus ISF, mercedes C63 AMG and BMW M3 anounced thier prices to around 56k-57k dollars.
And you can't tell me that the next S4, RS4, RS5 prices wont be influenced by thier competitors prices. BMW definetly forced lexus and mercedes to come out with alot lower prices then they origanlly planned.

Audi is being way to cocky. From thier cut in inventory on thier A3s and all other cars to thier hideous lease prices in order to sway people away from leasing the car. I know they were trying to make thier models "exclusive" but they also did say they would build as many RS4's that they have orders for.

My own car and first car is a VAG car but shame on Audi. I still love all thier cars especially the S5 and R8 but i think thier cockyness will catch up to them.

PetrolDave
March 7th, 2008, 15:43
My own car and first car is a VAG car but shame on Audi. I still love all thier cars especially the S5 and R8 but i think thier cockyness will catch up to them.
Second that - the price of a B8 A4 in the UK is much higher (as much as 15%) than a SIMILARLY SPEC'd B7 A4.

They've tried to disguise the increase by keeping a similar starting price for a very basic model, but by the time you have added the options that most people have (and which you need to get a sensible re-sale price) the price is way higher.

I'm concerned that my RS4 might be the last Audi I can afford to buy ...

Randy M
March 7th, 2008, 16:21
Second that - the price of a B8 A4 in the UK is much higher (as much as 15%) than a SIMILARLY SPEC'd B7 A4.

They've tried to disguise the increase by keeping a similar starting price for a very basic model, but by the time you have added the options that most people have (and which you need to get a sensible re-sale price) the price is way higher.

I'm concerned that my RS4 might be the last Audi I can afford to buy ...

On a positive note your RS4 may sustain more value because of it.

MrBucket
March 7th, 2008, 17:29
Hah I don't think the RS4 has any problem with this. Might as well get a M5 at this point to save some money.

http://homepage.mac.com/lvelano/.Pictures/random/m3markup.jpg

Randy M
March 7th, 2008, 17:32
Perma-plate for $895- sweeet...!! Value added there for sure lol. Okay bmw fanboys...time to put your money where your mouth is...

nyrs6
March 7th, 2008, 18:17
Hah I don't think the RS4 has any problem with this. Might as well get a M5 at this point to save some money.

http://homepage.mac.com/lvelano/.Pictures/random/m3markup.jpg

First of all the coupe is $3,000 more then the four door. Plus there is alot of unnecessary options on that. ie extended leather,park distance control, hd radio, rear sunshade.

Take alot of those options a way and keep some that most would want like the premium package and all, and you get a nicely optioned 4 door for about 60-61k dollars.

edit: Plus a 2 door would have to be compared to the upcoming RS5 which i would think would be at least a $3,000 difference from the RS4.

MrBucket
March 7th, 2008, 19:25
First of all the coupe is $3,000 more then the four door. Plus there is alot of unnecessary options on that. ie extended leather,park distance control, hd radio, rear sunshade.

Take alot of those options a way and keep some that most would want like the premium package and all, and you get a nicely optioned 4 door for about 60-61k dollars.

edit: Plus a 2 door would have to be compared to the upcoming RS5 which i would think would be at least a $3,000 difference from the RS4.

Do you not notice that the car is $97,000+ and thats before sales tax?

nyrs6
March 7th, 2008, 19:33
Oh hahah :doh:

Sorry i didnt see that.

BTW They should get in trouble from BMW becuase they are printing that out on a BMW Accessorie Sticker making it look offical.

I hate these dealers.

BigRick
March 7th, 2008, 23:41

ho please don't start about 4 doors vs 4 doors and 2 doors vs 2 doors!!! we've been comparing the RS4 (4 doors) to the M3 (2 doors) for soooo many years now... So when comparing perf we can but not when it comes to price . RS5 is not out so let's not confuse things more than they are already.

That M3 is 97k with the options that most people would take so RS4 is NOT in danger at all... The only point I might give BMW on this is that they seems to have a more elaborate options plan than I got on my RS4 but that's about it.

chewym
March 8th, 2008, 03:59
25,000 dollar market adjustment, lol. Too bad someone will probably pay it.

JWC
March 8th, 2008, 06:02
Yeah Ford tried the old "Market Adjustment" on me when I went to get a GT500. I did ok...... I ended up in a TT Porsche. chewym you are right though someone will pay it.

PetrolDave
March 8th, 2008, 12:27
I like this bit:

Estimated Annual Fuel Cost $2,813 based on 15,000 miles at $3.00 per gallon
In the UK we can only DREAM about fuel at $3.00 per gallon!
Premium fuel here is £1.10 per litre which makes it just under $10.00 per gallon.

Randy M
March 8th, 2008, 16:40
I like this bit:

In the UK we can only DREAM about fuel at $3.00 per gallon!
Premium fuel here is £1.10 per litre which makes it just under $10.00 per gallon.

Yesterday I paid $3.59/gal for premium. If we were paying $10- a gallon here it would be mayhem.

PetrolDave
March 8th, 2008, 18:31
If we were paying $10- a gallon here it would be mayhem.
We're not happy about it - but there's too many "green idiots" and too many people scared to stick up for what they believe in over here.

nyrs6
March 9th, 2008, 04:36
ho please don't start about 4 doors vs 4 doors and 2 doors vs 2 doors!!! we've been comparing the RS4 (4 doors) to the M3 (2 doors) for soooo many years now... So when comparing perf we can but not when it comes to price . RS5 is not out so let's not confuse things more than they are already.

That M3 is 97k with the options that most people would take so RS4 is NOT in danger at all... The only point I might give BMW on this is that they seems to have a more elaborate options plan than I got on my RS4 but that's about it.

You really think that the $25,000 price gouging is going to go on for a while? :nono:

When the RS6 and RS4 first came out, what were dealers in CA doing?

brad
March 12th, 2008, 03:02
No-one has pointed out yet that the new M3 looks like crap also. What is that "bulge" protruding out of the bonnet??!!? Power-dome? Wanker-dome more like it. I have tried and tried to like the new BMW design language (been a BMW fan for years), but frankly it just doesn't cut it. Different does not necessarily mean good.

ben916
March 12th, 2008, 20:59
No-one has pointed out yet that the new M3 looks like crap also. What is that "bulge" protruding out of the bonnet??!!? Power-dome? Wanker-dome more like it. I have tried and tried to like the new BMW design language (been a BMW fan for years), but frankly it just doesn't cut it. Different does not necessarily mean good.

I have to agree with you on this one - meaning the crap part. What happened to the lean M3 of long ago? That formula worked!

This E92 and the one prior (E whatever), to me, are too blinged out. This model M3 is less for performance enthusiast and more for poser (sic) racers. Sure it goes like snot. Only because of brute force and less of anything else. Sure it will be a threat on the track and streets.

It would be interesting to see the original vehicle dimensions of the first M3 and then this E92 bloated one. An elephant on rollerskates can only corner so fast and so long...

When is the M5 V16 coming out? or the E999999 M3 V16?

Enough..