PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS5 and TTRS Revealed

EKaru
February 15th, 2008, 14:43
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/uploads/Audi_News/rs_coupes_header.jpg

The R8 may be getting all the press as of late, but Audi’s not done with their growing performance lineup by a longshot. Several weeks ago, quattro GmbH’s director Werner Frowein confirmed to Auto Motor und Sport that his wing of Audi would be stepping up its work for 2008. The current RS 4’s retirement may be imminent, but production of the R8, RS 6 and upcoming Q7 V12 TDI will keep his team busy. So too will new projects, and two of these expected expansion models are the much-anticipated TTRS and RS5 coupes.

In the same Auto Motor und Sport piece, Frowein mentioned that the previous brew period of four years into a six year model cycle would shorten to two in the future. RS versions of both the TT and the A5/S5 have both been spotted undergoing testing, and Frowein’s math should put a TTRS on a show stand by as early as Paris in September and an RS5 sometime in 2009. Such a rapid launch plan should mean little sleep for the boys at quattro GmbH.

Full Story (http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_3770.shtml)

HKS786
February 15th, 2008, 15:35
damn it. Can some edit the thread title? I was expecting official pics or uncovered spy pics, not just some renderings. ;)

Leadfoot
February 15th, 2008, 16:33
It's interesting to see that they are in the dark as much as many members from this forum. I agree that the idea on a RS6 engine complete with turbos is the most unlikely option but personally I don't rule out option 2 or 3 but doubt option 4 would be true in that the RS4 will be carried over untouched, this that is the scenario that Audi choose then I reckon it will get a mild tickle to boost power and torque ever so slightly towards the power and performance of the C63.

Damienr8
February 15th, 2008, 17:55
It's interesting to see that they are in the dark as much as many members from this forum. I agree that the idea on a RS6 engine complete with turbos is the most unlikely option but personally I don't rule out option 2 or 3 but doubt option 4 would be true in that the RS4 will be carried over untouched, this that is the scenario that Audi choose then I reckon it will get a mild tickle to boost power and torque ever so slightly towards the power and performance of the C63.

Hi Leadie,
I personally do not see a V10 in the RS5. I see weight saving components and a V8 (possibly forced induction). I think Audi will be attempting to balance out the car and further imrove the weight distribution in order to improve handling and driving dynamics. The V10 will only burden the front axel.

If there was a choice between a V10 with 500 hp and a V8 (naturally aspirated) with say 425h-440hp....id go with the V8.

I really hope to see the weight saving advancements made in the TTS trickle down to the RS5 level. I would love to see a curb weight of 3600 pounds(as opposed to the S5's curb weight of 3,891 Pounds). That, combined with a 425-440 hp V8 would be amazing.

The Pretender
February 15th, 2008, 18:19
My guess for the upcoming RS5 is a N/A 5.2 litre V10 FSI Valve-Lift engine with 480 hp.

Jarod.

btw, The N/A 5.2 V10 engine weigh only 220 Kg, a Bi-turbo/Kompressor 4.2 V8 engine will weigh more for sure.

The RS6
February 15th, 2008, 18:24
I'd like to see RS6 V10 in the RS5 but with 2 cylinders chopped of!

580Hp - TT V10 equals to 464Hp TT V8

That engine would be a killer in the RS5 IMO...

Leadfoot
February 15th, 2008, 19:32
btw, The N/A 5.2 V10 engine weigh only 220 Kg, a Bi-turbo/Kompressor 4.2 V8 engine will weigh more for sure.

I keep hearing that the engine to be installed in the R8v10 is totally different to that of the S6 and S8. Does this mean it's different in design, I doubt that as all Audi big engines use the same bore so I reckon we will see a shorter stroke, dropping the capacity down to the 5.0L mark (thicker side wall for better cooling) and quite possibly lighter internals which would boost not only revving abilities but overall weight as well.

If this is indeed the case and the R8v10 engine gets closer in weight to that of the current v8 then I reckon this would be the idea choice to be used in the RS5. In the R8v10 the engine will be producing 520hp and 500Nm so Audi could quite easily re-tune the engine to produce 480hp while still maintaining close to the same torque figures.

I reckon when the spec of the R8v10 is finally known then we will be in a better position to know the possible direction that the RS5 will take.

Damienr8
February 15th, 2008, 20:45
I keep hearing that the engine to be installed in the R8v10 is totally different to that of the S6 and S8. Does this mean it's different in design, I doubt that as all Audi big engines use the same bore so I reckon we will see a shorter stroke, dropping the capacity down to the 5.0L mark (thicker side wall for better cooling) and quite possibly lighter internals which would boost not only revving abilities but overall weight as well.

If this is indeed the case and the R8v10 engine gets closer in weight to that of the current v8 then I reckon this would be the idea choice to be used in the RS5. In the R8v10 the engine will be producing 520hp and 500Nm so Audi could quite easily re-tune the engine to produce 480hp while still maintaining close to the same torque figures.

I reckon when the spec of the R8v10 is finally known then we will be in a better position to know the possible direction that the RS5 will take.

My only concern is weight at the moment, not power. So if the new V10 is very close to the weight of the outgoing V8 in the RS4, then i might be interested. Another thing i did not look at until now is price. There is a premium to pay for a V10 over a V8 regardless of how much power the V8 puts out. I estimate the price tag on the RS5 to start at 69K, with the assumption that the Engine is the same v8 in the RS4.

Can someone give me an idea of the weight figures of the following
1. V8 (RS4)
2. V8 TT (RS6)
3. V10 (S8)

thanks,
Damien R.

Rage
February 15th, 2008, 21:13
I estimate the price tag on the RS5 to start at 69K, with the assumption that the Engine is the same v8 in the RS4

No chance. I almost fell off my seat as I read that:). £20k premium over the S5 with only the RS4 engine?? The RS4 commanded a £13k premium over the S4 and was priced at around £50k if i remember correcly. That would put the RS5 at £53k.

Assuming inflation and a A5/S5/RS5 premium over the A4/S4/RS4 i expect a pricetag closer to £55-56k. It must be this price to compete with the C63 and M3...no doubt its largest market.

IhateRWD
February 15th, 2008, 23:14
i am obssesed by the A5/S6/RS5 range and i am also curious and desperate to find out what engine will hve RS5. I speculate that will have turbo's, but don't know what turbocharged engine. now i will kill even for an A5 3.2FSI, RS5 will be a dream for me but maybe not, who knows. RS5 will be the best RS ever for me and i think for everyone before we will reach R8-RS maybe in the next 5years or so,but RS5 is much closer than we thing. M3 who?RS5 will be the king...

DJim
February 15th, 2008, 23:34
I am also obssesed with the Rs5 i think its for me the ultimate audi

Damienr8
February 16th, 2008, 00:54
No chance. I almost fell off my seat as I read that:). £20k premium over the S5 with only the RS4 engine?? The RS4 commanded a £13k premium over the S4 and was priced at around £50k if i remember correcly. That would put the RS5 at £53k.

Assuming inflation and a A5/S5/RS5 premium over the A4/S4/RS4 i expect a pricetag closer to £55-56k. It must be this price to compete with the C63 and M3...no doubt its largest market.

The S4 Starts at $48,610
The RS4 starts at $66,910

The S5 Starts at $50,500
The RS5 i guess should start at approximately 68-69K

Why is there "no chance" that it should start at 69K?

chewym
February 16th, 2008, 01:24
I keep hearing that the engine to be installed in the R8v10 is totally different to that of the S6 and S8.

Well, the Lamborghini LP 550 will use a 5.2 V10 with 550 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque. It will probably have FSI and sounds a lot like a high rev version of the S6/S8 engine. I believe that the R8 V10 will use the same engine but will be "rated" at a bit less horsepower, like 520 or something.

I don't think that Audi would put the same engine in the RS5 and R8 V10 as one would cost almost twice as much as the other, yet won't be all that much quicker.

The RS6
February 16th, 2008, 10:25
The S4 Starts at $48,610

The S5 Starts at $50,500

One of you is talking USD, and the other GBP :)

The Pretender
February 16th, 2008, 10:48
I'd like to see RS6 V10 in the RS5 but with 2 cylinders chopped of!

580Hp - TT V10 equals to 464Hp TT V8

That engine would be a killer in the RS5 IMO...
For 464 hp you don't need two turbo's IMHO.
If Audi give the RS4 engine a big overhaul and valve-Lift the engine much be able to produce that amount of hp.
Ferrari can produce 490 hp from a 4.3 litre V8 engine, therefore it much be possible for Audi to get more then 460 hp out of a 4.2 litre V8 engine. ?

Jarod.

Rage
February 16th, 2008, 18:52
The S4 Starts at $48,610

The S5 Starts at $50,500

Thought you were talking in Sterling £. Clearly I think the world revolves around me:)

As an aside the E92 M3 is $57k. At $66-69k for the RS4/RS5 that is a big premium in the US for a comparable car.

Luckily in the UK the prices are much more equivalent with the M3/C63/RS4 all ~£51k since we pay through the teeth. :cry:

Audiphile
February 16th, 2008, 20:40
From Fourtitude.com blog....

"Last night we ran a story on the RS5 and TTRS (http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_3770.shtml)and Autoblog picked up the story later today. Reading the comments to the story, we found one post particularly interesting....

That is no rumour mill...

Auto Motor und Sport did an interview with Audi chief development engineer Michael Dick.

He gave Auto Motor und Sport the correct model release date from today till Feb. 2012...

April
- A3 cabriolet
May
- A4 Avant
- RS6 Avant
June
- A3 (face lift)
- new 2.0l Common Rail engine
July
- TT S
September
- Q5, A6 face lift, Q7 V12 TDI
October
- RS6 sedan
November
- TT TDI
December
- S4 sedan and Avant

Januar
- Q7 full hybrid
Februar
- A5 convertible
March
- R8 V10
April
- A8
May
- R8 Roadster
June
- TT RS
July
- RS5
October
- A5 Sportback

Jan
- Q3
Feb
- A1 (2door)
March
- A7
May
- RS4
October
- A3
December
- A1 (4door)

Januar
- A6
Feb
- A7 convertible
March
- city (still a ? behind based on the VW up concept)
April
- Q5 full hybrid
October
- A1 Roadster
November
- A6 Avant
December
- R8 V12 TDI

Jan
- A6 Allroad
Feb
- A4 facelift

Some technical specs that he gave..
- TT RS 350hp from a 5cyl
- Q5 SUV is based on the A4 quattro not on the VW Tiguan and shares nothing with the Tiguan
- New A6 use a all aluminum chassie and nearly all aluminium suspension to reduce the car weight in average by 100kg compared to competetive models of other brands
- 2008 Audi market the cleanest running diesel engine in the world
- the A1 will be available as full electirc car with plug in technology
- The 2008 Q5 is the first DSG equipped car with longitudinal mounted engine in Audis modle range
- possible that Audi starts production in the USA
- Audi slowly goes away from all models looking the same with a single frame front image... beginning with the Q models receiving more marked vertical struts in the grill. The sports models will receive flatter and wider single frame grills. But according to design chief Stefan Sielaff this will be a slow process.
this is published in the auto motor und sport edition 5 14. Februar 2008

That's an interesting post for sure. What we do know of these cars listed is consistent with the list and Michael Dick is on Audi's board of directors and in the know. If it's from him, and I don't know why Auto Motor und Sport would say otherwise, then it's likely accurate."

chewym
February 16th, 2008, 21:50
That list makes sense timewise. Not sure why Audi would tell the competition its exact plan for the next 5 years or so.:vhmmm:

Rage
February 16th, 2008, 22:16
I still think that list is speculation.

R4??

Leadfoot
February 16th, 2008, 22:38
Some technical specs that he gave..
- TT RS 350hp from a 5cyl

Well it looks like some of us were corrected after all.

- New A6 use a all aluminum chassie and nearly all aluminium suspension to reduce the car weight in average by 100kg compared to competetive models of other brands

This is most interesting, it's great to see Audi finally taking the plunge and make a mass produced aluminum chassis. This will allow for even better weight balance without having to alter their new MLP chassis design even more.

- 2008 Audi market the cleanest running diesel engine in the world

This is one area that VAG have been falling behind it's rivals, especially BMW.

- The 2008 Q5 is the first DSG equipped car with longitudinal mounted engine in Audis modle range

Another thing I told the group that would be happening, DSG first in the Q5 and according to the same source it's also to be first to receive the new Bi-turbo v6 diesel.

- possible that Audi starts production in the USA

This is the only way for Audi to be competitive in the US as this will allow them to by-pass the importer taxes that the US have, don't know how much this is but every little bit helps.

The Pretender
February 16th, 2008, 22:39
I still think that list is speculation.

R4??
A Porsche co-development mid engined Quattro sportcar with 4, 5 and 6 cylinder engines.

Jarod.

HKS786
February 16th, 2008, 22:45
I'm glad to hear the news about the TT-R! It looks like my source was right afterall, as was what Leadie told us regarding the clubsport concept being wider to accomodate such an engine ;)

chewym
February 16th, 2008, 23:53
This is one area that VAG have been falling behind it's rivals, especially BMW.

I am not sure what you mean. Cleanest diesel in the world means a diesel that you can sell in all 50 states in the US. Tier 2 Bin 5 if you want specifics. BMW will be selling such cars in the US this fall. Audi has said either the same fall of 08, or beggining of 09. The fact that BMW sells a lot more cars in the US allows it to take more risks. Audi probably has the engine ready, now it has to pay for certification costs and so on. Yes it's too bad that Audi isn't ahead and already selling its TDIs in the US. But, the EPA has taken a long time approving AdBlue injection systems, and that's why no one has sold the "cleanest" diesel in the world yet.

The 335d will come with 265 horsepower in the US, not sure how powerful the Audi 3.0 TDI will be, possibly 220 or maybe even all of the 240 available in Europe.

Leadfoot
February 16th, 2008, 23:56
I am not sure what you mean. Cleanest diesel in the world means a diesel that you can sell in all 50 states in the US. Tier 2 Bin 5 if you want specifics. BMW will be selling such cars in the US this fall. Audi has said either the same fall of 08, or beggining of 09. The fact that BMW sells a lot more cars in the US allows it to take more risks. Audi probably has the engine ready, now it has to pay for certification costs and so on. Yes it's too bad that Audi isn't ahead and already selling its TDIs in the US. But, the EPA has taken a long time approving AdBlue injection systems, and that's why no one has sold the "cleanest" diesel in the world yet.

The 335d will come with 265 horsepower in the US, not sure how powerful the Audi 3.0 TDI will be, possibly 220 or maybe even all of the 240 available in Europe.

My comments were more directed at petrol Co2 levels than diesels. As for the output of the Audi 3.0TDi, it will be all of it's 240hp, this has already been confirmed. :thumb:

Rage
February 17th, 2008, 00:26
A Porsche co-development mid engined Quattro sportcar with 4, 5 and 6 cylinder engines.

Jarod.

Lol...I know what the R4 is....just wondering where it is on the list.

Leadfoot
February 17th, 2008, 00:44
Lol...I know what the R4 is....just wondering where it is on the list.

I agree, where is the R4 on this list? But wait this is the list according to Michael Dick, so why include a car which is a co-developed car with Porsche who may prefer it's time scale to be kept a secret.

Anyway there is no certainty that the R4 will be built, it's one project that until it's officially signed off I will always have my doubts about.

Rage
February 17th, 2008, 01:01
I agree, where is the R4 on this list? But wait this is the list according to Michael Dick, so why include a car which is a co-developed car with Porsche who may prefer it's time scale to be kept a secret.

Anyway there is no certainty that the R4 will be built, it's one project that until it's officially signed off I will always have my doubts about.

Well I hope youre right that the TTRS will have 350HP. That being the case id have much further doubts about the R4. If the R4 is to replace the Boxster/Cayman it wont have more HP then the 911. Porsche just wont allow it. What logic is there in releasing a TTRS with 350HP in 2009 only to replace it with an R4 sometime later with less power?

In my opinion either:-

The R4 will not replace the TTRS with 350HP,

Or the R4 will replace a TTRS with ~310HP,

Or the R4 will be scraped.

And im not sure which of the above i want.

Or, the last option is im talking out of my ass and i need some sleep;)

Leadfoot
February 17th, 2008, 01:12
Well I hope youre right that the TTRS will have 350HP. That being the case id have much further doubts about the R4. If the R4 is to replace the Boxster/Cayman it wont have more HP then the 911. Porsche just wont allow it. What logic is there in releasing a TTRS with 350HP in 2009 only to replace it with an R4 sometime later with less power?

Well you have to remember that if/when the R4 does appear it is to weigh quite a bit less than the TT equvilant. My best estimates are that the TT/RS will weigh 1420kgs where as the R4 will be no more than 1350kgs at most and could possibly go as low as 1300kgs. Either of these weights would allow for the R4 it match the TT/RS with only 310hp.

chewym
February 17th, 2008, 05:25
I am not feeling the R4 idea, doesn't fit the Auid line up too much. The journalist still would complain that it isn't a "Porsche" without the Porsche badge it won't be as pure of a driver. It will be quite expensive, not have all that much horsepower. Yet it won't bring all that much image to Audi imo.

The Pretender
February 17th, 2008, 10:41
It's very simple.
The mid-engined R4 will replace the TT or the so called R4 is just the new TT Mk3 only with a engine swits to the middle.

IMHO the TT RS will get a 310 hp 5 cylinder engine, because a 350 hp TT will be as fast as a 420 hp R8 for less then half it's price.

The future mid-engined R4/TT Mk3 will again be made out of aluminium with a weight under 1400 Kg IMHO.
And with a 310 hp mid 5 cylinder turbo engine and Quattro a real performer.

BTW, there is also nothing about a TT facelift or replacement on that llist.

jarod.

Leadfoot
February 17th, 2008, 11:01
It's very simple.
The mid-engined R4 will replace the TT or the so called R4 is just the new TT Mk3 only with a engine swits to the middle.

IMHO the TT RS will get a 310 hp 5 cylinder engine, because a 350 hp TT will be as fast as a 420 hp R8 for less then half it's price.

jarod.

You can't keep think on these lines that just because there is a more expensive model in the line that Audi would try and compete with it's direct competitors. The TT/RS is the car to rival the Z4M and SLK55, not the R8, one is an all-out everyday supercar with possibly the best handling/comfort combination ever. The TT/RS will be a very quick accelerating 2+2 Coupe/Roadster with an entirely different awd system attached, it won't have the same quality of handling and it definitely won't get the same customers. I for one wouldn't be considering a TT/RS if I had the money and originally wanted a R8, they are totally different.

If you think about it, the RS4 is as quick in accelerate as the R8 and yet is able to beat it when things turn slippy (check wet weather lap times) so surely one would choose it over the R8 when you factor in the extra space and everything. The argument doesn't hold water in my opinion.

The TT/RS will be given the required power to compete with both the Z4M and SLK55, of that I am in no doubt.:thumb:

AuditudeA642
February 18th, 2008, 20:50
I think audi should use a higher revving fsi version of the old RS6 engine in the RS5.
Figure a 4.2 V8 Twin Turbo with 520HP/480lbtq. Or... Audi in collaboration with MTM use the engine out of the RS4 clubsport :) :) :)

chewym
February 18th, 2008, 23:33
No need for a high rev turbo. But a modern FSI/Valvelift biturbo V8 would be an excellent choice for the RS5 and the RS4.

The Pretender
February 19th, 2008, 05:58
No need for a high rev turbo. But a modern FSI/Valvelift biturbo V8 would be an excellent choice for the RS5 and the RS4.
It's not sure the RS4 and RS5 will have the same engine.
Because it look like the S4 and S5 will also have different engine's.

Jarod.