View Full Version : New RS5 spypics.

The Pretender
February 13th, 2008, 06:24
http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-rs5-future.html

Jarod.

PeterJohn
February 13th, 2008, 07:01
http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/february2008/audi-rs6-mule-1.jpg

The side vents are not open. If the car is turbo charged, you'd expect them to be open, to offer air access to the intercooler(s). I do see, what appears to be, an promonent radiator behind the grill, typical of a superchargers' water cooling system. You'll see the same thing on a MTM supercharger installation.
But it could be my imagination, and just a regular radiator highlighted by the flash of the photo camera.

I am reminded of a British article in which they encountered an RS5 mule, while testing another Audi, and noted a V10 sound coming from the tailpipes.

If this is the RS5 mule, then the RS5 is definitley not turbocharged.

chewym
February 13th, 2008, 07:25
The turbocharged V10 is probably a fairly cheap option. Just like AMG is putting the 6.2 V8 into everything, Audi can put the TT V10 into the RS6, RS4 and RS5. They just would have to drop the boost a little so that it only makes 500 or so hp in the RS4/RS5.

The Pretender
February 13th, 2008, 12:36
I'm not confince that they can put the V10 that easy in the enginebay of the A4/A5 body.
The S5's V8 is already filling the enginebay to the front, it will be IMHO a challenge to get the V10 in.
An when they get the V10 in it will most likely be N/A.
But i think it's more likely that we will see a high rev 4.2 V8 FSI Valve-Lift or 4.2 V8 FSI Kompressor engine.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
February 13th, 2008, 13:15
It's looking like may predication of a V10 may bear fruits after all. ;)

Not sure if I am 100% happy with this idea as I can't get over the fact that there will be even more weight over the nose then. :rolleyes:

But the noise and power will be welcome none the less. :thumb:

The Pretender
February 13th, 2008, 13:33
One thing is for sure it will not be a Bi-turbo engine.
The side vents are closed that mean no intercooler @ the sites.
Therefore it will be N/A or Kompressored.

Jarod.

HKS786
February 13th, 2008, 15:23
It's looking like may predication of a V10 may bear fruits after all. ;)

Not sure if I am 100% happy with this idea as I can't get over the fact that there will be even more weight over the nose then. :rolleyes:

But the noise and power will be welcome none the less. :thumb:

That's why I was expecting Audi to go with the V8. Hmmm, time will tell I guess. I've got faith that Audi will do their usual magic if the new RS6 is anything to go by ;)

The Pretender
February 13th, 2008, 17:09
That's why I was expecting Audi to go with the V8. Hmmm, time will tell I guess. I've got faith that Audi will do their usual magic if the new RS6 is anything to go by ;)
The new RS6 may be quick but it's also very front heavy with that V10 TFSI engine under the bonnet.

Here one of the best RS5 renderings IMHO.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f266/Metalevon/rs53.jpg

Jarod.

HKS786
February 13th, 2008, 18:18
The new RS6 may be quick but it's also very front heavy with that V10 TFSI engine under the bonnet.

Hans.

I think the Pretender might have just slipped up there :hihi:

But yeah I agree that its very front heavy yet performs well. Chris Harris made a point of showing how the whole engine block sits infront of the axle.

Leadfoot
February 13th, 2008, 21:04
BMW guys make a big point about how too much weight over the front axle makes a car understeer but this only becomes a problem if you barrel into a corner way too fast. You just have to approach things differently, more a case of slower in and quicker out which is easy when you have Quattro.

My biggest concern I have with the extra weight is more to do with how the car feels. A heavy nose usually means dull steering response and a nose which doesn't change direction as promptly as you would like. I have no doubt that QuattroGmbH will make the thing grip and corner as well as anything else but I would still prefer the same power and performance from a lighter engine.

Rage
February 13th, 2008, 23:35

Jarod.

RS models have the side vents. The RS4 had them without turbo. If its an 'RS' cooling/styling feature then the RS5 should have them regardless. Infact id be very dissapointed if the RS5 didnt have them as they add to the aggressive look.

Either way this is very exciting! Can we get a an RS5 flag smiley?

HKS786
February 14th, 2008, 00:24
RS models have the side vents. The RS4 had them without turbo. If its an 'RS' cooling/styling feature then the RS5 should have them regardless. Infact id be very dissapointed if the RS5 didnt have them as they add to the aggressive look.

Either way this is very exciting! Can we get a an RS5 flag smiley?

I made the smilies ages ago :hahahehe:

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12800

Leadfoot
February 14th, 2008, 00:39
I am still hoping for a turbo V8 but still harbour a belief that Audi will choose to compete with the likes of BMW, Mercedes and now Lexus on their turf which is a high revving N/A engine. Whether that is a 5.0L v10 or a high capacity V8 is yet to be known for definite.

chewym
February 14th, 2008, 02:17
A twin turbo V8 would be the best option imo. The engine that the RS5 will use probably depends on which engine will replace the 4.2 V8.

BTW, Lamborghini will give the Gallardo the 5.2 V10 (probably with FSI) with 550 horsepower with the LP 550.

Rage
February 14th, 2008, 17:47
Anyone notice the pictures look very similar to the TTRS spy pictures cold weather testing??

Do Audi use the same area/centre for testing new models? Same conditions and same spy photographer lol?

As to engine choice...the RS5 will compete in a certain price segment. If it is around £55k then it will compete with the M3/C63/ISF. In that case it will be almost certainly be a V8. If Audi manage to make it a V10 (at that price) i dont think it will recieve good handling reviews due to weight. Furthermore with a V10 NA, for marketing reasons, i dont think it will be made that much faster the M3 (0-62 4.6 seconds MDCT, remember the RS6/R8 are 4.6 secs too).

If it is designed to compete with the M6 then it will prob have a V10. Though financially the M6 was a flop at a price of £83k.

Simply my musings.

hehe...still im not sure which i'd want :hahahehe:

tvrfan
February 15th, 2008, 12:48

Jarod.

no. i think it will be turbocharged. the TEstmules of the TT-RS and RS6 havent open side vents too. that havent something to say. its just a testmule!

crespo
February 15th, 2008, 15:33
I don't think that's an RS5 test mule. the tips are photoshopped, and nothing in the interior or front fascia leads to any changes in engine configuration (the only possibility based on these photos is that it's an N/A V10). I doubt this is an RS5 mule.

The Pretender
February 17th, 2008, 16:46
More RS5 pics.
Ingolstadt plates and just out side the Audi plant.

http://www.diablomotor.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/audirs5_1_560px.jpg
http://www.diablomotor.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/audirs5_2_560px.jpg
http://www.diablomotor.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/audirs5_3_560px.jpg

Jarod.

ZeroCool
February 17th, 2008, 16:54
this are very old pictures AFAIR...

They were shown just before the A5/S5 were introduced...

The Pretender
February 17th, 2008, 17:31
this are very old pictures AFAIR...

They were shown just before the A5/S5 were introduced...
yes i know.

Jarod.