PDA

View Full Version : From RS4 B7 to S3

Ricoloco
February 12th, 2008, 23:09
No, Iīm not stupid. And Iīm not out of funds. Just did a big switch in my garage.

Bought a brand new RS4 Avant almost a year ago, black and all extras. Iīve, of course, never regret that. But time changes and the truth is, with no kids, dogs sometime, and only using the car on my spare time, the Avant never came into REALLY use, not even when there was a long trip planned during the holidays. No way I and my girlfriend could fill it up. I just loved the direct feeling from the steering (SS+), the fast response from the throttle and the grunt. The car felt like a safe, rock solid, both on the road and the car itself. Tight and clean.

Anyway, as the "City-guy" as I am, I needed a hothatch. The S3 was the clear choice. Got one Ibis-white with just 4000km on the meter, made in Dec-07, with all the extra (bucket seats etc), except the Navi. Planning to get the original Navi next week, and some really nice OZ Ultraleggera "Titan" rims for the summer.

So, how does it feel to downgrade? After the circumstances, very well indeed. The "small" car has the same "tight" feeling with loads of grip that comes really handy in Scandinavia in the winter. The turbolag isnīt bothering me at all and the ketchup-effect isnīt so big. The quality of the interor is outstanding and feels like entering a "big" car, much better than BMW if you ask me. Def better than the Merc C-class too. Have just had it for two weeks and the only thing that "bothers" me is that the clutch is a little bit to easy and that the low gearing on the 2nd gear but Iīm sure Iīll get used with that. The loading capacity is actually great, the trunk is quite big and if I fold the backseats Iīll fit in one cubic meter load, easily.

My girlfriend loves the car, but she really loved the RS4 aswell of course. It is more easy to park in the city, "the clutch is lighter" and I can relax a little more when she is out with the car as the price of the S3 is almost half of the RS4...;)

So if you are thinking of getting a hothatch, the S3 is a great choice!

What I got as a toy (265hp isnīt 420hp...)??!

A 997 GT3.

More, better, pics will come soon....

Fab
February 13th, 2008, 07:27
Great report man ! You're switch fully makes sense to me. The RS4 is definitely not a "city car" and need wide roads to breath :revs:

I love the S3, Great car and nice chip potential. Power isn't comparable to the RS4 obviously but is more than enough to go around :hahahehe:

For all the rest the GT3 is the one :king:

Ciao

Ruergard
February 13th, 2008, 07:53
Nice report, sounds like the S3 is a very, very good car. It sure looks that way!

I'm really looking forward for some real pictures on both cars! :thumb:

PeterJohn
February 13th, 2008, 16:38
I bet you feel a little sore that the TT-S didn't arrive sooner. S3 is fine machine, though.

AndyBG
February 14th, 2008, 00:48
S3 is just perfect..., only ''problem'' is parked next to S3 and it is PERFECT (GT3...!)

:cheers:

Carl Lassiter
February 14th, 2008, 00:57
Congrats. They look great as a white pair.:revs:

Rutkowsky
February 14th, 2008, 09:50
Congrats!

JavierNuvolari
February 14th, 2008, 15:14
Congrats!! and definetely an upgrade from my point of view.
GT3+S3 > RS 4 Avant ;)

Audiphile
February 15th, 2008, 00:03
Very Nice! I have always wanted the S3 for city driving in LA, but as usual, we do not get the S3 here in the States because VW is arrogant to think that I should by the GTI so Audi does not bring it here. Too bad. Love the S3!

harald-hans
March 9th, 2008, 18:48
The S3 is not ONLY a good city car - it is also a good track car - I use it often on the track (Nürburgring Nordschleife) !

Here a pic from the track and my white S3:http://www.never2mu.ch/gfx/S3_Nordschleife.jpg

Greetings from Germany

harald-hans

Ricoloco
January 22nd, 2009, 21:44
Sold the S3 today. Will miss it bad. But we are getting a dog and need a car with a bigger boot.

Got a, please donīt kill me, BMW 335 XiA M Touring MY08 with all options. Very nice.

Very comfortable and quite quick but not even close to the S3 when it comes to the race-feeling....but I got another toy in my garage so I think I will manage.

Ruergard
January 22nd, 2009, 22:23
Sad to hear that the S3 has left the family. But you replaced it with a damn good car, the latest 3-series touring really is a good-looking car on the outside... Still having some problems with the inside on new bimmers though.

Congratulations on the new ride, please share some pictures with us! :thumb:

AndyBG
January 23rd, 2009, 01:50
Man..., from real Avant (RS 4) to a real Avant ''wanna be'', how could you!? :D

andreadebi
January 23rd, 2009, 12:02
very nice the 335i xdrive!

Ricoloco
January 24th, 2009, 15:26
Man..., from real Avant (RS 4) to a real Avant ''wanna be'', how could you!? :D

I ask myslef that, but in fact the beemer is very comfortabe in a way the RS4 wasnīt. Lots of gadgets and stuff (panorama etc) that is very nice. The best would be a 335 with audis quattro and the RS4 engine and exhaust.....

AndyBG
January 24th, 2009, 19:39
I ask myslef that, but in fact the beemer is very comfortabe in a way the RS4 wasnīt. Lots of gadgets and stuff (panorama etc) that is very nice. The best would be a 335 with audis quattro and the RS4 engine and exhaust.....

Yes, but looks BMW 3 series Touring is ages behind A4 Avant, I think that you will agree with me on that one... Interior is also mush behind A4s... Gadgets and everything else is valiable on A4 to.

So, having in mind that you now have 335i xDrive M packet, I think that most realistic development is that you switch to B7 S4 Avant, and everybody here will be happy! ;) :D

AndyBG
January 24th, 2009, 22:32
That's B8 S4 Avant, I meant...

Ricoloco
January 25th, 2009, 18:11
Yep, I understand what you mean. Got a very good swap deal with my S3 and I really like the 335, it grows on me in a way the S3 never did. With the S3, it was on the peak from the first km I drove it but the feeling faded more and more to be honest. The 335 feels much more complex in a way.

For the time being, I have no craving for the S4 at all, we will see what happens when the RS4 comes out.

Cdo
March 5th, 2009, 22:08
Sold the S3 today. Will miss it bad. But we are getting a dog and need a car with a bigger boot.

Got a, please donīt kill me, BMW 335 XiA M Touring MY08 with all options. Very nice.

Very comfortable and quite quick but not even close to the S3 when it comes to the race-feeling....but I got another toy in my garage so I think I will manage.

Great couple. But NOOOO til Bayern, go for a S3 Sportback instead, simply a fantastic car, and if you ask me, much more beauty than the hatchback....