PDA

View Full Version : rs6, s5 purchase question

BTT
February 11th, 2008, 15:27
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I currently have an A6 s-line and a Porsche 911 turbo with Ruf 550 conversion. I love the Porsche, but I do not drive it very often because of the traffic in Dallas. I am considering selling the Porsche and the A6 to save some money and have a more enjoyable daily driver. I am considering a used RS6 or a new s5. I love the styling of the s5 but I need to wait for an automatic and I wish it had a bit more power. The Rs6 is older, but faster, very nice looking, has an automatic. I would appreciate any help on deciding between the two. I would love the new rs6 but who knows if and when it will be here.
Thanks
BTT

DuckWingDuck
February 11th, 2008, 16:01
Definitely go for the RS6. Granted, I've only logged a few laps in the S5 but there is no comparison between the two. If you're looking for a midline between your A6 & 996TT, the RS6 is the only choice.

Also, if you are concerned about the age of the RS6, why not consider the S6? SoCal's S6 is very nice and that FSI is great stuff.

Leadfoot
February 11th, 2008, 16:17
This might get barred from the forum but with the except of performance the S5 is in a different league to the old RS6. It more comfortable, it will run rings around it on a track that doesn't allow the RS6 to use it's power, it's get a better finish and arguable better looks. It's steering and brakes are better as is it's Quattro system and when the new TipTronic comes along it will have the best automatic this side of a DSG.

The only reason for picking the RS6 would be acceleration and space, that is it.

P.S.
Don't burn me at the stake.

BTT
February 11th, 2008, 16:36
I did drive the s6, and I think it is comfortable, drives really nice, and the interior is beautiful but the styling is not as sporty and agressive looking as the rs6 or the s5. I would probably like it better with less chrome and better wheels. I love the look of the rs4 but it does not have the tiptronic either. Does anyone have any idea of when the S5 will come out with a tip. If it is going to be a year or so I will probably get the rs6 and consider the s5 when it is available. If it is just a month or two I may wait for the s5 or the new s4.
Thanks

Leadfoot
February 11th, 2008, 16:45
I believe it should be only a few months, though I'm unsure if the US will get it that quick.

Heck what am I saying, it's the US market that is probably driving the demand for such a setup. :doh:

BTT
February 11th, 2008, 17:38
thanks, I know a manual is more rewarding to drive, but it is also part of the reason I do not drive my 996tt to often. It is a blast to drive when the roads are open, but in traffic it can be a pain. Hopefully the tip will make it to the US fairly soon.

cornishmoocher
February 11th, 2008, 17:59
thanks, I know a manual is more rewarding to drive, but it is also part of the reason I do not drive my 996tt to often. It is a blast to drive when the roads are open, but in traffic it can be a pain. Hopefully the tip will make it to the US fairly soon.

HI,

I think it would be uneasnable to think that the new S5 wouldn't be better technically, The RS6 is now a 5 year old car, the technology that AUdi has bought on in the last 5 years is staggering, The DSG box is awsome, the engine positioning is further back over the wheels so reducing understeer (RS6 downfall) etc etc. BUT..... When the new RS6 comes out, there wont be a car on the planet to touch it for Speed/practicality/comfort. So it is all relative, How fast do you want to go BTT? if the answer is only 155mph in comfort with newer technology, then the S5 is for you, but then what about the S6? If you want awsome speed/power/comfort then get an old RS6, but.... if you can wait and you want back breaking speed and technology that will eat the S5 alive, then import a new RS6.
I will buy the first used RS6 to come available over here in the UK. I will still keep my old RS6, I love it with a passion, and I think that is the point, once bitten, for ever smitten.
Anyhoo, thats my opinion.

Cheers Moocher!:D

DuckWingDuck
February 11th, 2008, 19:30
Leadie, definitely won't be burned at the stake for your comment as they are correct. And I feel kinda stupid to say this as an owner of a 2 tonne car but the S5 just felt heavy around the track, so for me, if it came down to a pure exhiliration/performance comparison, I'd go with the RS6 but you and cornishmoocher are right though, the S5 is a great looking car and the interior appointments are indeed top notch.

Hy Octane
February 11th, 2008, 19:42
S5 with tip will not begin being built until August 08. So, figure almost 1 year until you would get one.I will be test driving an RS4 and an S5 this week to decide which will replace my RS6. S6 is not sexy enuff and the S8 is too big.

Boosted-Bora
February 11th, 2008, 19:47
I agree with what has been said here that the S5 most obviously is a better car technologically but i love my 6 don't get me wrong i love the S5 as well and am thinking of buying one to add to the stable but for the performance side of things its not in my liking. I say get an S5 from what i gather you are a more laid back kind of guy and for you to make the statement about no driving the 996 that much I'm sure you aren't too concerned with the technicality's or precision differences between the S5 and the RS6 unless you need the space. BTW my mother is in the process of ordering the S5 in tip as I write this so to my knowledge the Tip is available for order

Hy Octane
February 11th, 2008, 19:55
BTW my mother is in the process of ordering the S5 in tip as I write this so to my knowledge the Tip is available for order

The S5 with tip became available in Europe 4 weeks ago, but the S5 production for the USA 08 is done until August when they will commence to building the S5 with tip for the 09 model year with new technology and updated bits. I suppose they will be building the A5 now.

BTT
February 11th, 2008, 22:08
I really appreciate all of your advice. I am new to this forum but I am very thankful for your input in trying to make a good decision. I have looked at other cars such as the E63, M5, and the potential C63 and M3. There are a lot of great cars out and coming out in the next year, but I really like what Audi is doing. The S5 is beautiful and I have loved the RS6 since it has been out. I do not think any of these cars will be able to replace the fun factor of the Ruf 996tt, but it is mainly an expensive weekend toy for me. I love the car, and I plan on buying another one when I am in the financial position to pay cash. In the mean time I just want a car that gives me some of the thrill of the 911, looks good, and is a comfortable car that I can sit in traffic in.

DuckWingDuck
February 11th, 2008, 22:44
As traffic is a major concern of yours (I go to Dallas for business many times a year so I know where you're coming from) then if you don't want to wait, the RS6 is the only option for you, as the S5 Tip won't be available for another while yet.

CinciRS6
February 12th, 2008, 05:31
When I was looking to step into the s/rs clas, I looked at a Rs4 Rs6 and S5. The Rs4 was my favorite of the three. The s5 looked the best, but was not practical for what I needed. The thing that sold me on the RS6 was how rare it is, and in a straight away theres no feeling like putting the pedal to the floor, hearing the turbos, and feeling that pull. The RS6 is a smooth ride on the highway, and cant fit 4 people more than comfortably. Also you can chip the RS6 and have more than 500hp. The s5 may get the looks, but people that know cars see that rs6 and start pointing. RS4 is the most balenced but there is no backseat room.

Plain and simple, The RS6 is the way to go.

cornishmoocher
February 12th, 2008, 05:57
NOw where room is concerned, I go back to my point earlier, I totally agree with Cinci, My car before the RS6 was a A4 2.4V6t avant. (03). When we had our baby, the car was absolutley jammed packed with stuff when ever we went away fora weekend or so, the trunk, the passenger seats leaving only just enough room for the good lady wife and my little Gracie in the back, then the 2.4 v6 petrol engine didnt have the grunt to power the car along without revving the tits out of it, which in a V6 is thirsty to say the least.
In the RS6, it all goes in the trunk (not the wife or Gracie) and we can average 20mpg on a run of 300miles @ 90-100mph where with the V6 i was lucky to get 16mpg @ 70-80mph. So yet again, I applaud the RS6 for its alroundedness (if that is a word). Hence i will keep it even when the new RS comes out, it has become a good friend like a trusted workhorse, one that you can rely on all day every day.

BTT
February 12th, 2008, 11:56
thanks guys. I have been doing a little reading about the rs6 and I would like to know if you would be willing to buy without a warranty and if not do you know of any good aftermarket warranty's. I have been reading that repairs are very expensive and that the suspension can be a problem. I could possible go with pss9, but what are other things that are common problems that I should look for.
Thanks

cornishmoocher
February 12th, 2008, 18:46
In all cases, if you can afford to take out a warranty TAKE IT OUT!! I got a 12 month warranty from Audi when I bought the car, then extended it for 3 years at a cost of £599. ($1000??). All Audi Warranty. This is valid until you modify the car.

What I have heard through the grapevine is that if you look after your RS6, they are virtually unburstable. Unlike the RS6 plus, apparently This car has suspension so hard that it will break your spine, and a flappy paddle box that doesn't work, and is right on the very limit of its capability in every way, and therefore more prone to breakdowns. I know not whether this is true, but I have spoken to people who have had them, and all i know is they are driving RS6's now! Maybe if there are any plus owners out there they would like to set the score straight, as i would be interseted to know for future reference!
But WARRANTY WARRANTY WARRANTY every time for the Moocherman!!!

dab
February 12th, 2008, 20:33
i purchase an aftermarket warranty to 100k miles from the bmw dealership where i bought the car. It is easy care gold and covers mod to the car as well 60 months/100k miles. it was 2k.

BTT
February 12th, 2008, 21:23
Thanks guys, I will get a warranty if I purchase the car. I would like to know from owners if you have changed the suspension, which coilovers you went with, how it handles compared with stock, and how much it might cost. I want to factor this common problem into my purchase decision. I also saw that you can change the wood to carbon on the interior. Are there kits available to do this?
Thanks again for all of your help

cornishmoocher
February 12th, 2008, 21:34
I have only ever once seen the RS6 with wood inlays, all the rest have been carbon fibre.
As for the suspension, I live in one of the most demanding counties in England and I drive my RS6 very hard in and around the country lanes when conditons allow, I have found the stock suspension fine for what i do. However, understeer takes a bit of getting used to, and I do not know if any sus mods would aleviate this, just back off and feather then plant, hang on to your spleen and wayhey!

DuckWingDuck
February 12th, 2008, 21:45
Somebody on the boards just did a wood for carbon fibre swap with somebody but ya, the great majority of the RS6s out there are CF.

BTT
February 13th, 2008, 13:11
thanks, wood just does not seem right in a performance sedan.