PDA

View Full Version : Audi TT 3.2

itisme
November 22nd, 2002, 21:27
Don`t know if anybody is interested :(..

http://www.germancarfans.com/photos/3021121.001/1003.jpg

World first: new six-cylinder engine and motor-racing transmission technology

Audi is unveiling the first version of its TT Coupé sports car to feature a 3.2-litre six-cylinder engine and completely new transmission technology. The combination of the high-torque 3.2-litre engine with 250 bhp and innovative sports gearbox emphasises the dynamic drive qualities of the four-wheel-drive TT in a unique way.

The revolutionary Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) transmission successfully combines all the benefits of a conventional six-speed manual gearbox with the qualities of a modern automatic version. The driver thus benefits from enormous agility, driving enjoyment and economy as well as convenient operation and smooth acceleration with uninterrupted traction.

The source of the power is the proven 3.2-litre V6 engine. With its cylinder angle of 15 degrees, it is extremely compact and is therefore especially suitable for installation transversely to the direction of travel. The valve control process generates only little friction thanks to the use of roller cam followers with hydraulic adjustment. The compression ratio is 11.3:1.

Other technical details such as continuously adjustable inlet and exhaust camshafts and the variable intake manifold give the six-cylinder engine superior torque and power output, coupled with low emissions. A great deal of detail work has once again been invested particularly in this area in order to improve still further on its peak output and torque characteristic specifically in the TT. The engine now delivers 184 kW (250 bhp) and a broad peak-torque range with a maximum value of 320 Nm from 2,800 to 3,200 rpm.

Throttle valve actuation is designed for an exceptionally agile, spontaneous engine response to accelerator pedal movements. The way it interacts particularly with the ultra-rapid, precise control technology of the new twin-clutch transmission opens up an entirely new dimension in propulsive power.

The sound of the dual-branch variable exhaust system suitably reflects these sporting characteristics. A flap in the exhaust system is opened or shut depending on engine speed. Its sonorous sound never becomes over-assertive, even at high engine speeds, yet it unmistakably conjures up all the sentiments that sports-minded TT drivers appreciate.

The Audi TT 3.2 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in just 6.4 seconds, whilst the top speed is gently governed at 250 km/h. The overall consumption is just 9.8 litres over 100 km (provisional figure): a value that stands comparison even with vehicles with a classic 6-speed manual gearbox. The differences compared with the conventional geared automatic transmission with torque converter are even more impressive, since the latter is prone to significantly higher transmission losses due to its fundamental concept.

http://www.germancarfans.com/photos/3021121.001/1005.jpg
http://www.germancarfans.com/photos/3021121.001/1011big.jpg
http://www.germancarfans.com/photos/3021121.001/1009.jpg
http://www.germancarfans.com/photos/3021121.001/1004.jpg

Erik
November 24th, 2002, 19:03
Apart from a few minor details I like it a lot.

I guess it shares the engine of the Golf R32 which has a wonderful sound from the exhaust.

http://www.zon.se/bil/tester/golfr32/bilder/13.jpg http://www.zon.se/bil/tester/golfr32/bilder/3.jpg

Nrn
November 25th, 2002, 20:36
As soon as the local dealer gets one I´ll have to take it fopr a test spin :D But i would have thought i should be quicker than the 1.8T 225bhp from 0-100 Km/h :rolleyes:

Kind regards /Nicke

krm
November 26th, 2002, 05:23
too bad this TT is paired with an auto box.

Yippee, the R32 is coming to America next year (kind of late), anyone know when the Mk V will debut?

Erik
November 26th, 2002, 09:08
Originally posted by krm
too bad this TT is paired with an auto box.

This auto box will be quite nice actually.
Like a manual with two clutches - two gears can be "in" at the same time with one in "standby" and there is no loss in power like in a torque converter - same as Porsche will release I think.

Audi tried this technique in 1985 in the Audi Sport-quattro S1 driven by Mr. Walter Röhrl in the rallye world championship...

krm
November 26th, 2002, 15:08
that seems pretty incredible, thanks for the knowledge! Have you test drove such a transmission? I think a box like this still takes away the driving experience of piloting a manual car.

itisme
November 26th, 2002, 18:43
i don`t think so, cause of this box, there will be no longer a cut (:)) int the acceleration so i gess there is more fun, too. and of course the 0-100km/h will be shorter then with a normal gearbox or automatic (http://nfs4.gamigo.de/smilies/kotz.gif) and you`ll still put the gears in on your own.. :)

krm
November 26th, 2002, 23:03
a "cut" as you said in acceleration is not really not that much of a concern if it takes away some part of driver's involvement (the ability to be in full control of the gear selection process), and the ability to heel-toe, double clutch (not that it's really necessary in modern day manuals with syncromesh, but it's just smoother), etc.

Certainly, I understand the positive function of this DSG transmission, but I think it would be nice too if Audi gave a choice to pair a good old manual box with the more powerful TT and have the DSG optional.

I should set a future testdrive once this new TT arrives to see if its a worthy consideration over a manual.

Erik, do you reckon DSG is going to replace tiptronic? How is this transmission different from the one in the RS6? thanks in advance.

:cheers:

Erik
November 26th, 2002, 23:31
The gear box in the RS6 is from the Audi A8 W12 and is a torque converter, this TT gear box is like a manual with two clutches.
Porsche is developing something similar and it's supposed to be very fast since you're actually having two gears in at the same time, only on with the clutch up.

itisme
November 27th, 2002, 18:15
Perhaps ya want to read the hole descrption of the DSG form germancarfans.com:

<i>The new Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG)

So how does this revolutionary transmission concept work? The basis for the new development is a 6-speed manual gearbox with high variability in the selection of the transmission ratio. Thanks to the use of an integrated twin multi-plate clutch with ingenious control system, two gears can be engaged at the same time. During dynamic operation of the car, one gear is engaged. When the next gearshift point is approached, the appropriate gear is preselected but its clutch kept disengaged. The gearshift process opens the clutch of the activated gear and closes the other clutch at the same time. The gear change takes place under load, with the result that a permanent flow of power is maintained.

The technology of this twin-clutch transmission, the only one of its kind in the world, has its roots in motor racing. As far back as 1985, Walter Röhrl successfully tested it in his Audi Sport quattro S1. </i>

krm
November 28th, 2002, 09:09
Originally posted by itisme
Perhaps ya want to read the hole descrption of the DSG form germancarfans.com:

<i>The new Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG)

So how does this revolutionary transmission concept work? The basis for the new development is a 6-speed manual gearbox with high variability in the selection of the transmission ratio. Thanks to the use of an integrated twin multi-plate clutch with ingenious control system, two gears can be engaged at the same time. During dynamic operation of the car, one gear is engaged. When the next gearshift point is approached, the appropriate gear is preselected but its clutch kept disengaged. The gearshift process opens the clutch of the activated gear and closes the other clutch at the same time. The gear change takes place under load, with the result that a permanent flow of power is maintained.

The technology of this twin-clutch transmission, the only one of its kind in the world, has its roots in motor racing. As far back as 1985, Walter Röhrl successfully tested it in his Audi Sport quattro S1. </i>

thanks for that, perhaps you didn't quite understand me with the driving involvement part. The DSG box surely has its merits, I shall arrange a test drive once its available to see how it is.

itisme
November 28th, 2002, 17:14
:)... waiting for your test results ;):D.. poor that I can`t drive yet (well I can, but I`m not allowed :()

MichaelJP
November 29th, 2002, 15:17
I have a BMW M3 with the SMG2 gearbox. This is great for most use, but the one problem is the shift is very slow at low revs, which can make it awkward for city driving.

Hopefully the Audi DSG system with its twin clutches should be far better in this respect.

I may even change to an Audi TT!

- MichaelJP

Erik
December 4th, 2002, 20:32
This is what the Golf R32 sounds like - wonderful!!!

http://63.74.120.247/videos/4020831.001/1001s.mov