PDA

View Full Version : Rs6 power vs M5 power

Georgious86
February 5th, 2008, 21:33
hi!!!we all know that Rs6 power/weight ratio is a bit but more powerful than Bmw M5 figures.there are nearly the same difference as like as old rs6 and old m5 have.and we know that rs6 old is faster than m5 e39 in straight line.so why physic theory wouldn't work again???in competition of RS6 avant and M5 touring?AUDI RULES..............Four rings WINS:addict: !!!

Carl Lassiter
February 5th, 2008, 21:46
hi!!!we all know that Rs6 power/weight ratio is a bit but more powerful than Bmw M5 figures.there are nearly the same difference as like as old rs6 and old m5 have.and we know that rs6 old is faster than m5 e39 in straight line.so why physic theory wouldn't work again???in competition of RS6 avant and M5 touring?AUDI RULES..............Four rings WINS:addict: !!!

What a ridiculous post.

From the lights the RS6 will be quicker, above 100mph RWD and 7-speed gearing will see the M likely be quicker. I believe this was similar with the E39 and genI RS6.

However, who cares? Both are great cars and if the owner is happy with what they have then that's all that matters.

Georgious86
February 5th, 2008, 22:00
What a ridiculous post.

From the lights the RS6 will be quicker, above 100mph RWD and 7-speed gearing will see the M likely be quicker. I believe this was similar with the E39 and genI RS6.

However, who cares? Both are great cars and if the owner is happy with what they have then that's all that matters.

but old rs6 is faster than old m5 0-100 and 0-200 as well.yes of course with very small difference but 0.1 sec matters a lot in such competition

Michaël Barbé
February 5th, 2008, 22:02
Yeah, don't know. I agree with your last statement Carl:" Both are great cars and if the owner is happy with what they have then that's all that matters".

But at the end I do care! (not like you said: who cares) because: when you haven the rs6 and a friend has the M5 touring then you can say what you want but you want to be the fastest, no? I wouldn't mind being 'equal'. But I just don't want to lose! I can't handle losing:blush:

MB
:rs6kiss:

Carl Lassiter
February 5th, 2008, 22:18
Yeah, don't know. I agree with your last statement Carl:" Both are great cars and if the owner is happy with what they have then that's all that matters".

But at the end I do care! (not like you said: who cares) because: when you haven the rs6 and a friend has the M5 touring then you can say what you want but you want to be the fastest, no? I wouldn't mind being 'equal'. But I just don't want to lose! I can't handle losing:blush:

MB
:rs6kiss:

Fair point:hihi:

Leadfoot
February 5th, 2008, 23:01
There is a difference between the old RS6 vs E39 M5 and the new RS6 vs E60 M5, the difference is the amount of torque advantage the new RS6 has over it's rival.

The M5's power may have increased with the newer model but torque remained to same at 369ft/lbs, but with the RS6 torque has increased from 415ft/lbs to 479ft/lbs. So while something stay the same (RS6 being quicker 0-60 and 0-100), something change (RS6 still quicker after 100mph as well, right the whole way). ;)

Carl Lassiter
February 5th, 2008, 23:04
There is a difference between the old RS6 vs E39 M5 and the new RS6 vs E60 M5, the difference is the amount of torque advantage the new RS6 has over it's rival.

So while something stay the same (RS6 being quicker 0-60 and 0-100), something change (RS6 still quicker after 100mph as well, right the whole way). ;)

This not known until they're tested head-to-head. Tq did increase to 383lb.ft, but I'll concede that's barely noticeable. However, even the E55 and E63 guys readily concede the E60 M5 takes them up top...

Leadfoot
February 5th, 2008, 23:21
This not known until they're tested head-to-head. Tq did increase to 383lb.ft, but I'll concede that's barely noticeable. However, even the E55 and E63 guys readily concede the E60 M5 takes them up top...

Fair comment, but neither of these two cars have a similar amount of power and neither have a torque figure which goes as high up the rev range and this included the M5.

I don't doubt it may be close as the speed increases but I will be surprised if the RS6 doesn't stay ahead.

artur777
February 5th, 2008, 23:24
E60 M5 is a genuine car, and its engine is brilliant
But I believe Qisha's words, that in straight line RS6 will be faster

RS6-4dr911
February 5th, 2008, 23:32
The old versions of both were roughly 10-12% apart in power. One could argue that the added drag of AWD vs. RWD is roughly this amount and thus they were closely matched.

The new versions are 16% apart in power, so if the drag of AWD is the same, RS6 should net 5% more power, which based on power requirement going up with the cube of speed, means the RS6 should hold a 1% edge in top speed, assuming net aero-drag of the two is identical (not likely).

Shows to go ya' that at this level, it takes extreme increases in power to have a meaningful impact in top speed. In the 0-60 category, weight, torque and traction play a bigger role than max power. With this much torque, seems to me AWD becomes a much bigger advantage. 0-60 calculators (see below) show the new RS6 with about a .2 sec advantage over the M5. Comparing a single configuration RWD to AWD results in about this same difference. So Audi had to bump the power up by that much over the M5 just to compensate for its bad over-eating habits (excess weight).

http://www.060calculator.com/ (seems a bit optimistic compared to some stated/published times but probably a good comparitive indicator)

So in spite of the wild power output, the heavy weight may be what's leaving some of the critics non-plussed. All that weight can't be good for "tossability", regardless of what the 'ring numbers indicate.

Also funny how both sides, given that new models of each come out roughly 2-3 years after each others, always feel like it's finally an even match when their marque is superior.

Bottom line: I'd take either one if given to me.:hahahehe:

artur777
February 5th, 2008, 23:45
Reasonable.
The question: how much does RS6 understeers? what is RS6's G coefficient?

BLITZEN
February 6th, 2008, 03:08
I agree this is a ridiculous argument.

This weekend I took a drive up the canyon where it started to snow. By the time I reached Park City, there was quite a bit of build up on the road (at least 4 inches of packed). Rear wheel drive cars were not to be seen. If any MB or BMW owner had decided to go out, they only would have been stuck and in the way of the rest of us. 90% of the vehicles on the road were SUV's. But my RS6 was handling it the best, confident even with speed. Traffic was slow but I was very comfortable going the speed limit with my Blizzak tires.

Comparing these cars on a drag strip is pointless. NONE are designed to be drag racers and aren't impressive compared to a dedicated drag car. It's a pointless as comparing them to a truck for hauling.

In conclusion, these cars are all-arounders. Designed to be fun and able to hold a family. Comparing on that basis, Audi wins because it can do so in all conditions whereas MB and BMW require certain weather conditions to even work at all.

BLITZEN
February 6th, 2008, 04:46
Reasonable.
The question: how much does RS6 understeers? what is RS6's G coefficient?

Understeers more and pulls less G's than a 911. Same with MB and BMW. Why insist on comparing these cars like they were sports cars or dragsters?! They're not.

chewym
February 6th, 2008, 05:10
I predict that the RS6 should at least match the M5/E63 at the 1/4 mile race. If not be a bit ahead.

DuckWingDuck
February 6th, 2008, 06:47
it sort of goes like this....

E39 M5 < RS6 < E55 And the E55 wins only because it has so much torque.

audi_ch
February 6th, 2008, 08:11
as mutch as a like audi, but in germany are rumors, (postet already), that the time is more around 15,5, than 14,9. Witch scarres me that those people mesured the Tacho indication, and we all know that the Tacho speed is higher than the gps speed.

Not to mention that the m5 touring made in severel test 14,5 sec to 200 hundert.

This will be a very clothes battle

Still compare stright line accelaration r8 vs m3. In Sportauto supertest m3 won with 15,8 to r8 with 16,5. And on paper r8 has better horsepower/wight ration.....

So that mean in the spacial case r8/m3 even with a better weight/horsepower ratio , the r8 was not capable in strightline acceleration to beat the m3,

No will just be the question how mutch more horsepower or torque is needed to compansite, the wight and quattro lost from rs6 to m5

Lets stay objectiv...

Leadfoot
February 6th, 2008, 10:19
You can't compare the quattro system in the R8 with Audi's own quattro system as they are totally different and I believe in comparsion tests the Lambo system which the R8 uses will use more power than the RS4. The funny thing is that the RS4 has even less PTW than the M3 yet all but equals it in the same disciplines.

The RS6 will win against the M5 Touring, it might be smaller than any of us would have hoped but it will be there all the same.

audi_ch
February 6th, 2008, 10:53
why are you that sure..

I hope it as well, but not so sure, and specially if there are people around witch hand stopped the car by its Tacho speed, and get a 15,5 out instead of a low 14 number, then i have some doubts.

But we will see soon

Georgious86
February 6th, 2008, 13:36
as mutch as a like audi, but in germany are rumors, (postet already), that the time is more around 15,5, than 14,9. Witch scarres me that those people mesured the Tacho indication, and we all know that the Tacho speed is higher than the gps speed.

Not to mention that the m5 touring made in severel test 14,5 sec to 200 hundert.

This will be a very clothes battle

Still compare stright line accelaration r8 vs m3. In Sportauto supertest m3 won with 15,8 to r8 with 16,5. And on paper r8 has better horsepower/wight ration.....

So that mean in the spacial case r8/m3 even with a better weight/horsepower ratio , the r8 was not capable in strightline acceleration to beat the m3,

No will just be the question how mutch more horsepower or torque is needed to compansite, the wight and quattro lost from rs6 to m5

Lets stay objectiv...

if audi losts against bmw because of quattro and weight tell me why old Rs6 didn't loose against m5 e39?rs6 was faster and new rs6 has advantage of 80 bhp more,torque as well

Georgious86
February 6th, 2008, 14:14
anyway tell me please why it is said that Quattro looses power???can anyone exlpain it to me?i only know that rs6 old is faster then e39 bmw.0-200 km/h straight line.and it seems it doesn't loose power...