PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear on RS6 mkII.

Carl Lassiter
February 5th, 2008, 03:02
Just a short written review by Tom Ford. He likes it, but doesn't love it. In my opinion, it sounds like a great car and offers something in between the user-friendly E63 and more focused M5...especially when the sedan comes. And in the wet this thing will come even more into its own.

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/drives/151-audi-rs6/

The RS6
February 5th, 2008, 09:17
"This car is engineered to handle better than 99 per cent of owners will be able to drive."

artur777
February 5th, 2008, 10:32
"It's not involving"

Is it too overengineered?

AndyBG
February 5th, 2008, 10:37
Now, we have to wait Jeremy to put his hands on it, and hear what he has to say..., alltough Jeremy very amusing and funny, I would love to hear Tiff Needel from 5th gear, and his opinion...

Michaël Barbé
February 5th, 2008, 10:41
@andygb: I have to agree with you! I like Jeremy a lot but sometimes he is really much to chauvinistic and if he doesn't want to love a car he really looks for tiny negatif things and then blow them up (makes a big deal out of them). Tiff is the better driver without a doubt and much more 'objective'. Somebody knows if 5th gear is on television? BBC2 or so??

MB
:rs6kiss:

Rutkowsky
February 5th, 2008, 11:48
5th gear is on channel 5 in UK

RXBG
February 5th, 2008, 13:23
tiff is who i want to hear opinions from. i want to see him drive it and react to it live. i think it is going to kick serious butt.

the sedan will be the real performer. at this level any shed weight means alot.

Speedou
February 5th, 2008, 15:56
Would be second Audi after R8 Tiff would really like. So I think Tiff is more BMW guy...

DuckWingDuck
February 5th, 2008, 16:22
I have to say, I am not a big fan of Fifth Gear at all.

El_cucaracha
February 5th, 2008, 18:12
i hope jeremy will like RS6 as he liked R8...

Michaël Barbé
February 5th, 2008, 20:16
Channel 5? hmm don't know that. I will search!

MB

Leadfoot
February 5th, 2008, 20:30
Would be second Audi after R8 Tiff would really like. So I think Tiff is more BMW guy...

Tiff does prefer BMWs more than Audis in general and prefer rwd to awd almost all of the time (R8 the exception). But you have to remember that this is a very talented guy and can make a car dance better than most.

Tom Ford's comments 'I've never got so used to this much horsepower so quickly' speaks volume for how efficient Quattro is to controlling the chassis. In almost all cars such an amount of power would be scare to control on a race track and even more so on the road but in the RS6 it seems to be second nature. Tom thinks the problem might be that the Audi has engineered out the involvement and the passion and in so doing lost the quirks that make a car lovable, but I see it as Audi engineering a car which is totally usable right to the last HP by all and not just the gifted few.

Bravo Audi, bravo. :bow:

Michaël Barbé
February 5th, 2008, 22:13
He talks about the sports exhaust that is better sounding but I've read that the sports exhausts are black. So they aren't available in 'chrome'?

MB

CinciRS6
February 5th, 2008, 23:10
Yeah the chrome exhaust looks better, but you dont have to clean the black exhaust. I had the chrome on both my previous audis, and I can say that I like the black better. Plus the sport sound is way better. The only thing they did wrong on this car, was not putting honeycomb on the bottom sides of the front bumper, and not making the car into a sedan. I didnt buy my (03) rs6 for the track. If I wanted a track car I would have bought a smaller more nimble automobile. Just wait until mtm starts to tune this beast. Easily 700hp.

Michaël Barbé
February 5th, 2008, 23:48
sorry if my english is not that great but what is honeycomb?

Carl Lassiter
February 5th, 2008, 23:55
sorry if my english is not that great but what is honeycomb?

It's the shape of the design on the RS cars like the RS4 and RS6. It resembles what bees make you see.

tvrfan
February 6th, 2008, 00:08
the grill on the front is honeycomb form.

Spidercat
February 6th, 2008, 00:35
Tiff does prefer BMWs more than Audis in general and prefer rwd to awd almost all of the time (R8 the exception). But you have to remember that this is a very talented guy and can make a car dance better than most.

Tom Ford's comments 'I've never got so used to this much horsepower so quickly' speaks volume for how efficient Quattro is to controlling the chassis. In almost all cars such an amount of power would be scare to control on a race track and even more so on the road but in the RS6 it seems to be second nature. Tom thinks the problem might be that the Audi has engineered out the involvement and the passion and in so doing lost the quirks that make a car lovable, but I see it as Audi engineering a car which is totally usable right to the last HP by all and not just the gifted few.

Bravo Audi, bravo. :bow:

Exactly. I'd rather have 580 well-disciplined stallions under my foot than 500 adolescent bronchos. Just because you NEED to be a better driver to wring the most out of a car doesn't mean you ARE a better driver. Seems some are confused by this (Audi drivers can take hi-perf driving lessons just as easily as anyone else can). Obviously, the "better" car depends upon your definition. If drama-queens are someone's thing, that's fine. The fact that I'm a high-powered 4-door sedan/avant aficionado kinda precludes me from gravitating toward a car that is harder to drive fast than the RS6 and oh-by-the-way is less powerful (by a lot) and slower (by a little). He didn't even mention the AMG or M counterparts, however. He had lots of great hyperboles about the RS6. My take was that Mr. Ford thought the RS6 was too perfect, and not the car for him. Maybe he loves needing to concentrate on driving the entire time (being "engaged"). Good for him. If I were that guy, though, I'd probably be back to driving sports cars or motorcycles, not the RS6 or its competitors.

CinciRS6
February 6th, 2008, 03:42
the grill on the front is honeycomb form.

Correct, but Im talking about the two intakes on the bottom of the front bumper, those are almost exactly the same as the s6, a6. If you look at the new rs4 opposed to the s4/a4, they changed them and personally I think it looks a whole lot better.

mdk
February 6th, 2008, 07:54
Hi to all. New guy here without an RS6 but eagerly trying to put an order for one (in Greece still there is no possibility to place an order yet)

... Just wait until mtm starts to tune this beast. Easily 700hp.
mtm has already "studied" 2008 RS6.
As far as I know 1st stage 675 (just ECU), 2nd stage 700+ (modified downpipes... exhausts and ECU) and there is a 3rd stage that sounds too much to say it out loud :looking:

M.

Michaël Barbé
February 6th, 2008, 10:37
Ow I see so when so take the sportsexhausts the front of the car isn't that nice as when you take the chrome standard ones?

Charles DLF
February 6th, 2008, 10:57
i have to say that since last week, tiff has gone far down in my heart. In his review of the C63/M3, he basically said the c63 was a better car because it would trhow more smoke and drift easier... SINCE WHEN IS THIS A RELEVANT TEST FOR A CAR????? The M3 is a better car, it handles better, no question... So what is he going to say? That the RS6 is an awful car because he can't slide it like he wants to?? Sorry guys, but JC is a great entertainer, and a good driver, TN is a very good driver, he just wishes he was born Japanese, so he could buy a jacked up supra and smoke every corner!

Michaël Barbé
February 6th, 2008, 12:40
I agree with you Charles: More and more Tiff just wants to drift the cars. The better they drift, the better the car it is for him. That IS nonsens! AND: the Merc drifts more easily but is much more difficult to hold stable, the BMW is a better handling car and so better to do a controled drift! And indeed: if he is going to put the RS6 against the BMW touring he is going to choose the M5 just because it drifts better. Surprise Tiffyboy: The M5 is RWD! If Audi wanted th RS6 to be a driftcar they would make it RWD also. That's why those 2 cars are completely different although they are eachothers rivals!

If they do fair tests the review will say: If you want an estate car for on the track (what is not that logical): buy the BMW M5 Touring E60. But if you want an estate car for on the road: buy the Audi RS6 Avant C6.

(Mind: I don't want to refer to the Audi in not working on the track!)

MB

Charles DLF
February 6th, 2008, 14:58
(Mind: I don't want to refer to the Audi in not working on the track!)

But that is what tiff is doing today, making people beleive that if you can get a car on a 45 degree angle, and have it produce tones of smoke, then you have it: It's a sports car... well no, not for me, a sports car is well balanced, high powered, controlable and precise car... some of this all is involved in drifting, but not all of it...

Sad :'(

KarlMarx
February 6th, 2008, 15:42
Agree completely

Michaël Barbé
February 6th, 2008, 17:11
True, he is a superior drifter and focuses therefor just on this

Carl Lassiter
February 6th, 2008, 17:22
Ow I see so when so take the sportsexhausts the front of the car isn't that nice as when you take the chrome standard ones?

No. The choice of exhaust only affects the exhausts. The others are talking about the front grille and saying that the lower section of the new RS6's grille does NOT have a honeycomb pattern like on the RS4 and previous generation RS6.

I can't stand Tiff as a presenter. Also, when I watched him in Touring car he would invariably fail to finish the race and certainly never finish high up.

By the way, I drift everywhere I go, especially going to get groceries. :lovl: j/k

Michaël Barbé
February 6th, 2008, 22:57
Ow know I get the whole pictures. Was confused, sorry man!

MB