PDA

View Full Version : Better Handling for $1

nene
February 3rd, 2008, 17:11
We all know how weak the Dollar is against the Euro, and it hurts the wallet to visit my favorite European hang outs. However, yesterday I found that $1 can indeed still buy more than you think.

In fact, my $1 got me better handling, better braking, and better car response. Allow me to explain.

As part of having the battery and alternator changed, I decided to start using the beast more often. I found her a bit out of her natural self. The handling felt a bit loose, making me think the DRC had seen better days. Also, uneven pavement and holes in the road were felt more via the whole car structure, instead of the shocks taking some of that brunt. On top of that, curves on my commute I enjoyed taking, felt the car was unable to handle them with the ease I was accustomed to. Not on rails as once was. This did not make me that confident in the suspension.

The braking would pulsate, even under mild braking to a stop. Well, maybe I needed to bed in the brakes once more, in case film had built up on the rotors from little use. In addition, around the 50-to-65 MPH, the front would vibrate some. Well, maybe the lady had hit a pot hole or something when I was not watching, but nothing I could not fix with a quick wheel balance.

Between the whole front not feeling sure of itself, it made me worry.
Well, on a gut instinct I checked all 4 tire's pressure. Well, they were at an all time low of 31 or so all around. That was bad, real bad on my part. Unquestionable bone head move, failing to check her tire pressure at least once a week. Not bad enough to get me into trouble mind you, but bad enough to be inexcusable.

So I took the beast immediately to the local Shell gas station, put in 4 quarters in the air machine, and proceeded to bring her tire pressure back to code!!! I know we have the air machine in the trunk, but I wanted to fill her up as well, and test my new tire pressure adequately once all set.

It just so happens that I took her out after that on some of my usual routes, and it was as if I found a whole new car. Brakes don't pulsate when braking. She is back riding on rails. No more vibration in the front. Suspension is as good as new. I could not believe that 5-8 pound of air difference in the tires could really make that much difference. Lesson learned .... hopefully!

Please learn from my lesson and keep your tire pressure checked.

PS: The first tire pressure measurement was done when car was cold in the morning. Shell gas station about 0.5 Miles away, so really close.

MikeL01
February 3rd, 2008, 17:38
I too performed the “basics” and noticed the hum coming from the front end was eliminated. I was concerned the hum was a bad CV joint. Having installed new tires 500 miles ago, when checked, the right front was off by 8 psi.

JWC
February 3rd, 2008, 18:02
Good tip thanks for posting. We sometimes forget to check the little things that mean a lot.

DuckWingDuck
February 3rd, 2008, 19:45
Personally, I prefer to drive rims only. :D

nene
February 4th, 2008, 14:41
I forgot about the hum!!!
Yes, there was hum before as well, and I thought it was the wheel bearings. Usually when these go bad, they make a hum sound when braking or shifting car weight side-to-side. Now that is gone too.