February 2nd, 2008, 12:06
German Sport Auto-Audi 3.2 Quattro test

Equipment:
-S Line Package
-S Line Exterior Package
-19" wheels RS4 design 255/35-19

0-100km/h: 6.0s
0-200km/h:23.7s

Weight: 1700kg(weight distribution 55.5% front, rear 44.5%)

Hockenheim track time 1.18,0min(!) with Dunlop SP Maxx tires

Short comment from the article-best balanced Audi from current range(R8 apart, RS6 Avant not yet tested). Better drive dynamics then S5 according to them...

S5 number for comparison:

0-100km/h: 5.1s
0-200km/h:19.1s

Weight: 1722kg(weight distribution 57.5% front, 42.5% rear)

Hockenheim track time 1.18,8min with Dunlopl SP Maxx tires
1.17,2min with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires

Leadfoot
February 2nd, 2008, 12:21
It's amazing what a bit of length in the wheel base and a slightly lighter engine can do to the handling. This sort of thing shows that the future RS4 may be the car to choose in this sector.

E90 M3 beware. :hahahehe:

KresoF1
February 2nd, 2008, 13:01
I agree! BUT, maybe we want have to wait for RS4. If new S4 really get 2995cc V6 biturbo with 360hp/420Nm....

KresoF1
February 2nd, 2008, 13:04
Oh, speaking about new M3 e90 Limo they tested it as well-1.14,6min on Hockenehim with CUP+ tires(just 0,3s slower then Coupe with same tires). Also margianally slower then Coupe in acceleration. Bad news for Audi fans-Sport Auto stuff really expect that M3 Coupe with M-DKG(M-DCT) achive Ring time of 8.00min(+/- sec or so...)...

Leadfoot
February 2nd, 2008, 15:30
Oh, speaking about new M3 e90 Limo they tested it as well-1.14,6min on Hockenehim with CUP+ tires(just 0,3s slower then Coupe with same tires). Also margianally slower then Coupe in acceleration. Bad news for Audi fans-Sport Auto stuff really expect that M3 Coupe with M-DKG(M-DCT) achive Ring time of 8.00min(+/- sec or so...)...

When you say CUP+ tyres, are they the Michelin Pilot Sports2 or the Michelin CUP version? If the latter then I don't think it's a fair comparison with anything Audi has currently tested.

Another thing, the S4 should be receiving the new 7sp S/Tronic as an option along with Sports Diff, two things which in theory will improve the A4 3.2Quattro Sport's time of 1:18 on Hochenhiem to a much more respectable 1:16.5 and if they offer PS2 tyres I won't be surprised to see a 1:15.6. :thumb:

Admitted this is all theory but the building blocks are in place with the A4 chassis and all that is needed is the power and finesse that the above mentioned options could bring. Still a bit slower than the E90 M3 but then again it is a best all-rounder within an all weather package. :looking:

The weight of the A4 3.2Quattro is my only concern, at 1700Kgs without the items that should be present in the S4, then what is the estimated weight of it? :eye:

I'm guessing something closer to 1780Kgs, 25Kgs for the DSG, 30Kgs for the forced induction, a further 15Kgs for Sports Diff and an extra 10Kgs for additional strengthening. :rolleyes:

Leadfoot
February 2nd, 2008, 19:44
Another thing, the S4 should be receiving the new 7sp S/Tronic as an option along with Sports Diff, two things which in theory will improve the A4 3.2Quattro Sport's time of 1:18 on Hochenhiem to a much more respectable 1:16.5 and if they offer PS2 tyres I won't be surprised to see a 1:15.6. :thumb:

I meant to say the with these things the S4 will improve on the A4 3.2Quattro's time of 1:18.8 to a more respectable 1:16.5 with Dunlops and then improve again to 1:15.6 with the change to the Michelins.

chewym
February 2nd, 2008, 23:18
I don't think there is a track in the world where a 354 horsepower S5 will be slower than a 265 hp A4. Hockenheim has at least 1 decent straight?

raulg
February 3rd, 2008, 04:40
Where can I read the whole thing?

raulg
February 3rd, 2008, 04:53
I meant to say the with these things the S4 will improve on the A4 3.2Quattro's time of 1:18.8 to a more respectable 1:16.5 with Dunlops and then improve again to 1:15.6 with the change to the Michelins.

The creator of this thread said 1:18.0, you said 1:18.8. Is it you or him that got it wrong?

Small difference, but still.... I know the 335i (sedan) got 1:18.0 on the same track.

..............actually I just found it on other website, it's 1:18.0.

KresoF1
February 3rd, 2008, 10:15
I don't think there is a track in the world where a 354 horsepower S5 will be slower than a 265 hp A4. Hockenheim has at least 1 decent straight?

Of course Hockenheim has one decent straight but, achived top speed of both S5 and A4 3.2Quattro is pretty similar. In all curves A4 3.2 is little bit faster...

Also, both cars were tested on Oschersleben track in Germany(longer track then Hockenheim with 2 straights and few tighter curves) by different German magazine. Outcome? The same one-A4 3.2 Quattro(S-line with 19") little bit faster.

Difference on Nurburgring is about 4s in S5 favor(but, Ring is very known power track with very long Doettinger Hoehe straight-top speed point)...

Leadfoot
February 3rd, 2008, 10:36
The creator of this thread said 1:18.0, you said 1:18.8. Is it you or him that got it wrong?

Small difference, but still.... I know the 335i (sedan) got 1:18.0 on the same track.

..............actually I just found it on other website, it's 1:18.0.

A brain freeze mate, I wrote the S5 figures instead of the A4.:doh:

Leadfoot
February 3rd, 2008, 10:40
Of course Hockenheim has one decent straight but, achived top speed of both S5 and A4 3.2Quattro is pretty similar. In all curves A4 3.2 is little bit faster...

Also, both cars were tested on Oschersleben track in Germany(longer track then Hockenheim with 2 straights and few tighter curves) by different German magazine. Outcome? The same one-A4 3.2 Quattro(S-line with 19") little bit faster.

Difference on Nurburgring is about 4s in S5 favor(but, Ring is very known power track with very long Doettinger Hoehe straight-top speed point)...

I know we would know until the S4 is finalised and we know for definite what engine is under to bonnet but it is looking good for a sub 8:20 time which would definitely put the cat among the pigeons over in camp Munich as their 335i Coupe is only good for a 8:26.:hihi:

Rage
February 3rd, 2008, 13:39
Wow....better then the S5 in handling. Didnt expect to see that:bigeyes:

Leadfoot
February 3rd, 2008, 16:00
Wow....better then the S5 in handling. Didnt expect to see that:bigeyes:

I don't think anyone did...................including Audi. :vhmmm:

KresoF1
February 3rd, 2008, 16:06
I don't think anyone did...................including Audi. :vhmmm:

Well... IMHO S5 is still faster car in everyday situations. Be it on curvy mountain road or autobahn... BUT, A4 3.2Quattro with S-Line Package(sport chassis -30mm) and 19" wheels offers little bit more fluid handling with more natural weight distribution. Also A4 3.2Quattro S-Line is less prone to understeer on the limit then S5. That is IMO key feature for little bit faster Hockenheim time.

Leadfoot
February 3rd, 2008, 16:31
Hockenheim is a technical track and may have suited the A4 better than the S5 but based on how well the R8 performs everywhere with the exception being the ring, I believe that on almost every track with a straight no longer than allowing the S5 to get above 120mph then the A4 will nail it every single time which is a sad state of affairs.

raulg
February 3rd, 2008, 16:39
Hockenheim is a technical track and may have suited the A4 better than the S5 but based on how well the R8 performs everywhere with the exception being the ring, I believe that on almost every track with a straight no longer than allowing the S5 to get above 120mph then the A4 will nail it every single time which is a sad state of affairs.

Everyone owing an S5 said the car is more like a cruiser than a track car. It's a special car in it's own way.
I only drove the S5 for like 20 minutes but I loved the car every single second after that test drive. I just felt like that's my place, driving that car.

If the new A4 (especially the S4) is a little better, I won't mind, I would rather have a 4-door car than a coupe (easier access for my passangers, that's all).

PetrolDave
February 3rd, 2008, 17:40
I agree! BUT, maybe we want have to wait for RS4.
Dealer told me on Friday that new RS4 will be "many years, possibly not before 2012".

Leadfoot
February 3rd, 2008, 18:07
Dealer told me on Friday that new RS4 will be "many years, possibly not before 2012".

From experience dealer are the last people to hear anything. I have it from a reliable source that the RS4 will be no later than 2010 and may even make it into the tail end of 2009.

KresoF1
February 3rd, 2008, 18:23
Leadie,

Regarding RS4 your info could be wrong. I was in Neckarsulm last week and I found out few things...
Quattro Gmbh production capacity are limited and they will produce far more then ever before: R8, R8 V10, RS6 Avant and RS6 Limousine. Since there are THREE different engines in this four cars chances to see new RS5 or RS4 before 2010 are almost none.
I also heard that quattro Gmbh maximally could handle up to five models so, you can only add one to the four mentioned above...

Regarding new S4-things that I heard are pretty strange. According to the person that I had launge with(he is little bit below S.Reil) most info about new S4 engines here on rs6.com are not accurate... So, what engine in new S4? One that already exist according to his info...

I learned about R8 V10. NO R8 V12 TDI at all.

Leadfoot
February 3rd, 2008, 19:48
I sincerely hope Audi don't go down the v8 route as the A4 3.2 Quattro proves which direct Audi need take.

Rage
February 4th, 2008, 02:58
From experience dealer are the last people to hear anything.

Amen to that.

Dealers NEVER cease to amaze me with how ignorant they are with regards to new cars, options, etc. No difference if they are Audi, Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche. ALL they know about is the car theyre about to stumble over.

KresoF1
February 4th, 2008, 10:21
One NOTICE-test A4 3.2Quattro S-Line was equiped with Audi Drive Select including Dynamic Steering/Active Dampers...

Leadfoot
February 4th, 2008, 13:17
One NOTICE-test A4 3.2Quattro S-Line was equiped with Audi Drive Select including Dynamic Steering/Active Dampers...

Well that explains a lot. You basically have an equivalent to the MagneticRide or DRC plus in works in combination with the steering to provide a very balanced feel.

It might be expensive but if you are interested in performance then this is one set of options worth considering.

Rage
February 6th, 2008, 02:28
Quattro Gmbh production capacity are limited and they will produce far more then ever before: R8, R8 V10, RS6 Avant and RS6 Limousine. Since there are THREE different engines in this four cars chances to see new RS5 or RS4 before 2010 are almost none.
I also heard that quattro Gmbh maximally could handle up to five models so, you can only add one to the four mentioned above...

I Hope thats not true, i thought they were expanding capacity. Did they not also state that it would only be 2 years to get the max performance model in each lineup?

That would imply RS5 July 2009, RS4 February 2010??

Senne
February 7th, 2008, 23:13
Very nice results for the new A4, I think it tells a lot about Audi's efforts in the new MLB chassis. I found some other laptimes on the same track (Hockenheim) and discovered the BMW E90 335i (306hp) did it in exact the same time, and this A4 is faster around this track than the RS4 B5, the Porsche 993 Carrera, the Porsche Cayman, the Mercedes-benz C55 AMG and the Maserati Coupé Cambiocorsa (2002) (tested by the same magazine as the A4).

I live in Belgium and I can't find the Magazine with this test of the A4 here (Sport auto), Is there someone who can scan this article please (rode a lot of kilometres with my bike to find it but not found:noshake:) and I would be very pleased to read this article.

Senne.