PDA

View Full Version : Question: Is the lastest S4...

Klint
June 25th, 2003, 10:56
...only avaliable in limited numbers? :confused:

After enquiring about the S4 V8, to our local Audi dealership they commented that they'll only be limited numbers of the car coming into britaan. Anyone know any better?

If this is the case why is it only avaliable in Limited numbers? It's not as if Audi are loosing on each sale of the S4, or is it? :confused:

:cheers:

Erik
June 25th, 2003, 11:09
The S4 is not made in limited numbers.

It's a good way to sell a thing to say it's limited, hurry up! ;)

Klint
June 25th, 2003, 11:31
Originally posted by RS6
The S4 is not made in limited numbers.

It's a good way to sell a thing to say it's limited, hurry up! ;)

Thanks Erik,

I found it hard to believe it myself. :)

McBurn4ever
June 25th, 2003, 12:12
Since there has been a problem getting engines to the new S4 Audi
has set a limited numbers of the car coming into each country.

In sweden I've been told that we get one S4-engine each week.
But I've also been told that the problem with getting the engines out fast
enough now has been solved and that the deliverytime now is shorter.

:s4addict:

Klint
June 25th, 2003, 16:46
Pär,

Thanks for the information. It's surprising that the engines are in short supply, although they are in quiet a few models throughout the Audi Range :( .

Hopefully the engine limitations don't last for too long.

Aragorn
June 26th, 2003, 22:52
Originally posted by Klint

It's surprising that the engines are in short supply, although they are in quiet a few models throughout the Audi Range :( .

Hi Klint and all the rest,

This is my first post on RS6.com (and my first on an Internet forum in several years).

To get to the point, though: I was under the impression that Audi, in order to fit it into the A4 engine bay, uses a shortened version of their 4.2l V8 powerplant; this would explain the shortage of this otherwise common engine.

Klint
June 26th, 2003, 23:03
Originally posted by Aragorn
Hi Klint and all the rest,

This is my first post on RS6.com (and my first on an Internet forum in several years).

Welcome Aboard, Nice of you to join us Aragorn.

Originally Posted By Aragorn
To get to the point, though: I was under the impression that Audi, in order to fit it into the A4 engine bay, uses a shortened version of their 4.2l V8 powerplant; this would explain the shortage of this otherwise common engine.

Interesting that you say that. I don't think it would be beneficial for Audi to produce a shortened version of the V8 'just' for the S4; Financially.

Maybe Cosworth has something to do with the physical shortening of the engine? And they're not exactly the biggest work force out there to keep up with production that requires large demand. Maybe.

Again, Welcome aboard and stick around. It's a great place here, although a small postage count compared to other (Automotive) forums. That's where new members come into play. ;)

McBurn4ever
June 27th, 2003, 07:59
The same "modification" is done to the 4.2 liter V8 engine in the Allroad.

Erik
June 27th, 2003, 09:04
It's correct that the V8 in the new S4 is shorter to fit the A4 body.

McBurn4ever
June 27th, 2003, 09:25
If you remember the Audi A6/S6 with a V8 engine is a little bit longer than an ordinary A6 (the front is longer).
Since Audi chosed to use the same V8 engine (but with 300 hp) in the Allroad, as in the new S4, that car did not need to that modification.

:bang:

Benman
June 27th, 2003, 16:04
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aragorn
[B]Hi Klint and all the rest,

welcome aboard:D
look forward to reading your future posts:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Aragorn
June 29th, 2003, 12:14
Thanks everyone for welcoming me! I will stick around here, although I'm bound for the countryside in just a few days--the Internet has not yet made its way to the cabin. :)

Vacation plans aside, I can't help but be curious of just how much shorter the engine is. I recall reading that Audi, or rather, quattro GmbH, managed to squeeze out 2.5 inches, but I can't locate my source. Would anyone here know?

Thanks,

Aragorn

Erik
June 29th, 2003, 13:51
From the press release:

"Its dimensions – especially the length of only 464 millimetres – enable installation for the first time in what is likewise, for a vehicle in the B segment, an extremely slim engine compartment."

"To make this compactness possible, the Audi engine developers installed a chain drive for camshafts and ancillaries on the engine output side. This made it possible to reduce the length by no less than 52 millimetres."

Have a nice time in the cabin... :bye:

Aragorn
June 29th, 2003, 15:13
Originally posted by RS6
From the press release...

But of course! I only checked the "Here Comes Fun" article; I should have looked more closely to find the press release.

By the way, maybe a blind smiley should be added? :)

Erik
June 29th, 2003, 17:53
But of course! I only checked the "Here Comes Fun" article; I should have looked more closely to find the press release.

Actually we never made the press release available online.

Aragorn
June 29th, 2003, 18:22
Originally posted by RS6
Actually we never made the press release available online.

My mistake again, then (confusing the "New Audi Joins S-Club" with the press release, which, I guess, this is: AudiWorld.com (http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/new_s4/content.shtml)).

Just of out curiosity: who's the author of the the S-club article? Some copywriter or an Audi fan?

Cheers,

Aragorn

Erik
June 29th, 2003, 18:49
My mistake again, then (confusing the "New Audi Joins S-Club" with the press release, which, I guess, this is: AudiWorld.com (http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/new_s4/content.shtml)).

Just of out curiosity: who's the author of the the S-club article? Some copywriter or an Audi fan?

Eh... :error: The left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing.

Actually we DID make the press release available.
And the details of the engine etc. are included.
We don't copy any articles from other websites but since everybody is using the same press release as a source they look very similar.
Our article has its basis is the press release from Audi but I deleted many of the things that are mentioned both two and three times. The pics are Audi official mixed with my own to make it more interesting.

Here's our version:
http://www.rs6.com/articles/003.html :deal:

CoOlSlY
June 30th, 2003, 02:10
Rs6: Any idea when you'll be able to do something about the S4 video you rolled? :) I think we are all anxious to see this new vid since news are going really slow for the past months concerning the S4! :)

Sylvain

Klint
June 30th, 2003, 03:56
Originally posted by CoOlSlY
Rs6: Any idea when you'll be able to do something about the S4 video you rolled? :) I think we are all anxious to see this new vid since news are going really slow for the past months concerning the S4! :)

Sylvain

I'm also on the same train as CoOlSlY. :)

Anxiously awaiting this S4 video...although, last I heard/read Erik was looking for more things to add to it from the board members, concerning the S4.

My 'old man' enquired about a S4, that was at our local dealership, earlier last week before he went away and the S4 they had was a customer's car so it wasn't avaliable for test drive, meaning I can't produce video/pictures of the car, which I was hoping for. :(

Yeah, I also agree. There is a lack of news and information regarding the New S4 on both official Audi websites and other unofficial websites.