PDA

View Full Version : New RS6-Does it hit the spot?

phatfocus
January 31st, 2008, 16:03
I'm sure its outsanding, and I want one, but £76,000, WoW! The other figure that worries a liitle is a kerbweight of 2050Kg, correct me if I'm wrong but the old car comes in at something like 1880KG in avant form. That's quite a difference, despite this it appears the new one is sharper (aacording to motoring journos)

However, my point is this. I can't help but think if Audi had used a twin turbo version of the 4.2 V8 with FSI, to obtain say, 540 BHP, the car could have been lighter and just as fast if not faster, and still with shed loads of torque. It appears Audi has entered into willy waving competition with BMW, necessitating 10 cylinders.

Also, in the new car where are the high tech weigh saving materials, eg carbon fibre, titanium etc. I would expect some/more use of these on a £76K car. Are ther many instances?

Lloydmeister
January 31st, 2008, 16:12
When the RS6 was released in NZ it was around the $220,000 mark. At todays currencies £76,000 = $192,000...
Then again, that would presumably be for the base RS6, without options, correct?

phatfocus
January 31st, 2008, 16:14
Yes thats for a base one. The old RS6 avant was something like £58-60 K list here. I know that european cars are excessively expensive in NZ. I would love to get a XR6 turbo for some cheap simple fun though! I drove the XR6 with 6spd ZF around twisty roads in Akaroa and had great fun. Not sophisticated but all the better for it.