PDA

View Full Version : New RS6 Avant first drive impression...

KresoF1
January 28th, 2008, 15:08
...in Autocar.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Audi-A6-5.2-V10-RS6/230483/

Regarding too much expectations regarding Ring time:
As a point of reference at just how much the RS6’s dynamics have been improved, Reil claims the new model is capable of lapping the Nurburgring a whopping 20sec faster than its predecessor. “We spent a lot of time running at the Nordschliefe,” he says. “Conditions vary and every lap you run is unique, but we managed to get down to 8min 09sec during our final tests there.”

Leadfoot
January 28th, 2008, 15:55
KersoF1,

I can come clean as to lap time now, I was told to expect 8:05 as this was the believed time the RS6 would be capable of. Reading between the lines I think he is being conservative and saying the sort of time that SportAuto will achieve.

The RS6
January 28th, 2008, 15:55
Interesting, at the end...

"For anyone who regularly covers big distances, hankers after supercar levels of performance, and requires seating for five and lots of luggage space, there’s probably no better new car on offer today."

audi_ch
January 28th, 2008, 16:05
Here an other text from a german tester, witch goes a bit in the other direction. Make translation later on:

hatte einen längeren erFAHRungsbericht mit dem teil geschrieben, leider ist beim absenden mein rechner abgeschmiert....
Naja was solls
aber zur beschleunigung
ein rs4 b7 hat auf der bab keine chance dagegen, das steht fest, da fehlt ihm doch der biturbo...
Aber sobald es auf querdynamik geht, ist es vorbei mit dem rs6... ich gehe sogar so weit dass ich den auf einer engeren landstraße mit meinem alten s6 stehen lasse (komplett serie), das ding schiebt über die vorderräder, meiner meinung nach schlimmer als ein a8...
die optik, naja audie ist halt auf dem r8 trip, deswegen die luftleitbleche an der stoßstange auch in r8 optik, mit waben dadrin würde das viel besser aussehen, wäre dann wahrscheinlich optisch ne gute ecke breiter, das heck war ja auch schon immer unauffällig, ist aber sicherlich auch so gewollt. Weiter im text:
Sound is geil, beschleunigung finde ich auch eine wucht (auch wenn er langsamer ist als angegeben). Der m5 ist zwar schon bissiger, und vom gefühl her auch schneller, vorallem da der ja gerüchten zu folge auch bald knapp über 570 ps kriegen wird, damit wird er wohl deutlich schneller sein, und naja querdynamisch hat der rs6 eh kein kraut dagegen. Trotzdem finde ich den m5 hässlich, vorallem von innen....

i guess different opinions.. hope the first test is the truth

KarlMarx
January 28th, 2008, 16:23
As a very rough comparison, does anyone know a typical M5 'Ring time?

artur777
January 28th, 2008, 16:27
... big and heavy car ... - I am afraid a lot of hidden info between this phrase
8-09 is quite dissapointing - no faster than RS4.
That's mean that RS4 handles better, because RS4 is slower for sure!!!

Leadfoot
January 28th, 2008, 16:39
As a very rough comparison, does anyone know a typical M5 'Ring time?

8:13 M5
8:09 M6
8:09 RS4
8:05 M3

KarlMarx
January 28th, 2008, 16:51
Thanks. It's not just about the speed but it's interesting to compare them, eh?

audi_ch
January 28th, 2008, 17:32
What is interesting that the m6 achieved his time on sport tyres, so did the rs4, m5 normal tires.

So if the rs6 would do the 8:09 or even 8:05 he would beat the m6 for 4 sekunds, and be almost 300kg heavier.

That would be fantastic, if it is really true

What you think

Charles DLF
January 28th, 2008, 18:03
"If the threat of losing your licence in speed-camera-mad Britian is no great concern, then absolutely. For anyone who regularly covers big distances, hankers after supercar levels of performance, and requires seating for five and lots of luggage space, there’s probably no better new car on offer today."

anything to add? :P

tvrfan
January 28th, 2008, 18:36
Here an other text from a german tester, witch goes a bit in the other direction. Make translation later on:

hatte einen längeren erFAHRungsbericht mit dem teil geschrieben, leider ist beim absenden mein rechner abgeschmiert....
Naja was solls
aber zur beschleunigung
ein rs4 b7 hat auf der bab keine chance dagegen, das steht fest, da fehlt ihm doch der biturbo...
Aber sobald es auf querdynamik geht, ist es vorbei mit dem rs6... ich gehe sogar so weit dass ich den auf einer engeren landstraße mit meinem alten s6 stehen lasse (komplett serie), das ding schiebt über die vorderräder, meiner meinung nach schlimmer als ein a8...
die optik, naja audie ist halt auf dem r8 trip, deswegen die luftleitbleche an der stoßstange auch in r8 optik, mit waben dadrin würde das viel besser aussehen, wäre dann wahrscheinlich optisch ne gute ecke breiter, das heck war ja auch schon immer unauffällig, ist aber sicherlich auch so gewollt. Weiter im text:
Sound is geil, beschleunigung finde ich auch eine wucht (auch wenn er langsamer ist als angegeben). Der m5 ist zwar schon bissiger, und vom gefühl her auch schneller, vorallem da der ja gerüchten zu folge auch bald knapp über 570 ps kriegen wird, damit wird er wohl deutlich schneller sein, und naja querdynamisch hat der rs6 eh kein kraut dagegen. Trotzdem finde ich den m5 hässlich, vorallem von innen....

i guess different opinions.. hope the first test is the truth

sounds not good, he said the handling isnt that good and its more like FWD car and slipping over the Front wheels. also the M5 feels faster :nana:

artur777
January 28th, 2008, 18:38
...in Autocar.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Audi-A6-5.2-V10-RS6/230483/

Regarding too much expectations regarding Ring time:
As a point of reference at just how much the RS6’s dynamics have been improved, Reil claims the new model is capable of lapping the Nurburgring a whopping 20sec faster than its predecessor. “We spent a lot of time running at the Nordschliefe,” he says. “Conditions vary and every lap you run is unique, but we managed to get down to 8min 09sec during our final tests there.”

And don't forget about Qisha's phrase that RS6 Sedan will be faster straight line than M5 Sedan!

KresoF1
January 28th, 2008, 19:07
Ok guys few things...

-Audi decided to offer 280km/h limiter for RS6(both Limousine and Avant). Why only 280km/h since BMW offers M Drivers Package for M5/M6 with 305km/h limiter? Fact is fact M5 is faster.
-RS6 engine is true SOTA. This is also the fact.
-RS6 Limousine will be around 50-75kg lighter but, 0-100km/h is still 4.5s and 0-200km/h is 14.7s...
-personally I would choose RS6 Avant over M5 any time but, IMHO Audi introduced RS6 version little bit too late(in current A/S/RS6 model life).
-little bird told me that even RS6 Limousine can not match current R8 on the Ring-you all know what that means...

In the end just my opinion-I prefer RS6 Avant over M5, CLS63AMG, Quattroporte or even Cayenne Turbo. As complete package RS6 Avant is IMO better then all cars mentioned above.

Leadfoot
January 28th, 2008, 19:31
Ok guys few things...

-Audi decided to offer 280km/h limiter for RS6(both Limousine and Avant). Why only 280km/h since BMW offers M Drivers Package for M5/M6 with 305km/h limiter? Fact is fact M5 is faster.
-RS6 Limousine will be around 50-75kg lighter but, 0-100km/h is still 4.5s and 0-200km/h is 14.7s...
-personally I would choose RS6 Avant over M5 any time but, IMHO Audi introduced RS6 version little bit too late(in current A/S/RS6 model life).
-little bird told me that even RS6 Limousine can not match current R8 on the Ring-you all know what that means...

In the end just my opinion-I prefer RS6 Avant over M5, CLS63AMG, Quattroporte or even Cayenne Turbo. As complete package RS6 Avant is IMO better then all cars mentioned above.

Mate, you know as well as I do that the SportAuto time has been improved upon with a different R8, was the time not 7:59 so I very much doubt the RS6 saloon would beat that time but then again it doesn't have too, it only has to beat 8:13 - the time of the M5.

Qisha
January 28th, 2008, 21:13
Dear Friends,

a word regarding the topspeed:

the RS6 is capable of a topspeed ~320 km/h. The safety de-limitation of 280 km/h is due to the tires. The load index for the OE tires are 102 (850kg) @ ~3.2bar (46psi). At a speed of 270 km/h the tire is able to take 100% of its max. (~850kg), at 300 km/h it is able to take 85% of its max. (~720kg). If the tire pressure is lower than needed (46PSI), the max. loading ability is decreased rapidly. -> full braking force -for example- from 280 km/h will stress the tires to 90% of their limit. (@100% of max. load of the car)

As a manufacturer safety for the passengers/traffic paticipants is most important.

Qisha

artur777
January 28th, 2008, 21:53
Ok guys few things...

RS6 Sedan
0-100 time will be IMHO 4.3 sec
0-200 time will be IMHO 14 sec

artur777
January 28th, 2008, 22:04
Dear Friends,

a word regarding the topspeed:

the RS6 is capable of a topspeed ~320 km/h. The safety de-limitation of 280 km/h is due to the tires. The load index for the OE tires are 102 (850kg) @ ~3.2bar (46psi). At a speed of 270 km/h the tire is able to take 100% of its max. (~850kg), at 300 km/h it is able to take 85% of its max. (~720kg). If the tire pressure is lower than needed (46PSI), the max. loading ability is decreased rapidly. -> full braking force -for example- from 280 km/h will stress the tires to 90% of their limit. (@100% of max. load of the car)

As a manufacturer safety for the passengers/traffic paticipants is most important.

Qisha

Dear Qisha,

could you please say some words about Ring time and acceleration :addict:

Carl Lassiter
January 28th, 2008, 22:50
Mate, you know as well as I do that the SportAuto time has been improved upon with a different R8, was the time not 7:59 so I very much doubt the RS6 saloon would beat that time but then again it doesn't have too, it only has to beat 8:13 - the time of the M5.

Remember, the M5s time was set on the stock ContiSports. The RS4 had semi-slicks on. Such tires knock around 10 seconds off on a long track like the 'Ring.

SMG and lower kerbweight should mean the M5 is faster around the track than the RS6(unless it's wet of course).

Not bashing the RS line, as they're great cars and I was in the market for one, just making sure the argument is fair.

Erik
January 28th, 2008, 23:03

Who buys an RS6 to beat an R8 on the track? :vhmmm:

Remember, the M5s time was set on the stock ContiSports. The RS4 had semi-slicks on. Such tires knock around 10 seconds off on a long track like the 'Ring.

If that was the case the time of the M5 would be faster than the M6.

Not very likely IMO.

AndyBG
January 28th, 2008, 23:07
We are starting all over again...

Is there anybody that will tell he likes RS 6, or we are start braging about Merc' and BMW all the time... ?

I don't care about them, I love RS 6, and for me its hundret times better car, just for having four rings at the grill !

It looks way to much better then any car in class, it has more power, and most important of all, it is faster then all its competitors in the ''real world'' conditions..., so that is just wright for me ! :addict:

:cheers:

Ruergard
January 28th, 2008, 23:13
Very interesting to read, can't wait for some real tests! I really hope that the RS6 will be faster than the M5, but if it's not.. it still offers the perfect package for now.

EDIT: As Andy wrote, out in the real world a lot of cars will have big problems keeping up with the RS6, not only M5s and E63s.

Carl Lassiter
January 28th, 2008, 23:24
If that was the case the time of the M5 would be faster than the M6.

Not very likely IMO.

Again, that depends on the tires. Furthermore, the M6 is only 100lbs lighter ( though some of that is in a good place-the roof) than the M5 and has a slighly higher drag coefficient. All things being equal it would lap the ring maybe two seconds quicker than the M5. So the two cars are equal in performance but only one can carry four in utter comfort and not attract the Highway patrol's attention.

Anyhow, back on topic, this new RS6 will be yet another step up from audi in the performance realm. A friend in England has the RS4 and it is a stunning piece of kit, both to look at and to drive. While the S-line is being watered down it seems the RSline is going from strength to strength and right up there with Motorsport and 030-equipped AMGs. Just a shame it couldn't be 200lbs lighter but the sedan should fix that.

Rutkowsky
January 29th, 2008, 00:03
You guys keep on talking, real world weather conditions etc blah blah here is a video of e60 M5, doing in excess of 310km/h with its Traction Control OFF! The guy (in Poland) drives with one hand and films himself with the other!! ENJOY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvoJdIzQIis
If you never drove/had proper M, just quattro - you'll never know. Listening to some of you, i could get impression that getting into my M3 in wet, i'll have an accident every time it rains etc. I know, i know - no competition in adverse weather anyway but understand this, when you've done some advanced driver training courses, M car is also 'safe'. The weakest link is the driver here. I had RS6 and i do remember understeer in wet! Launching car hard even in wet was much easier i admit but how many times do you do that? Anyway, new RS6 is bound to be fast, worst case scenario - if it equals M5 - that is still seriously quick!

artur777
January 29th, 2008, 00:22
All these talks make meeven more cocnerned about RS6 performance.
It seems to me that RS4 was a better bargain in 2004 than RS6 in 2008 comparing to M-Power

Rutkowsky
January 29th, 2008, 00:35
I still highly rate RS4. When it first came out, everyone wanted one. The true brakethorough for Audi that was. End of 2004, RS6 ceased production and you had a brand new e60 M5 coming out. That was also something and still is a brilliant car after 3 years in the market. M5 is already 3 years here! (time just flies)

Rutkowsky
January 29th, 2008, 00:40
It could be just the same like in the new M3 case. At first people hated it and now, especially with the new gearbox the same people are loving it!! (me no exception)

KresoF1
January 29th, 2008, 07:32
Who buys an RS6 to beat an R8 on the track? :vhmmm:

Erik,
You did not understand my point. Some members here claimed that new RS6 will be capable of Ring time below 8.00min and that it will be faster then R8(on the Ring). RS6 is indeed great car but, that fast on the track it is not...

Qisha explanation about tires is valid one but, it also points to RS6 weakness-its weight. M5 is using similar tires but, its weight is around 1750-1800kg(depending on options) so, in end speed M5 is faster-305km/h.

audi_ch
January 29th, 2008, 07:34
RS6 Sedan
0-100 time will be IMHO 4.3 sec
0-200 time will be IMHO 14 sec

not to sure about that

rs4 avant

0-200 time 17.0

rs4 limo

0-200 time 16.5

m5 limo

0-200 time 14.0 (quelle sa) ok some times were 13,8 but lets say 14.0

m5 avant

0-200 time 14,5 (quelle Sa)

and now rs6 limo vs avant almost 1 sec different...
not that sure.

But what i do miss on the rs6 the most is the design, rs4 looks just more agressiv and outstanding, compared to s4, but rs6 is for me to simular to s6, specialla from the side.

What you think

Leadfoot
January 29th, 2008, 09:41
Erik,
You did not understand my point. Some members here claimed that new RS6 will be capable of Ring time below 8.00min and that it will be faster then R8(on the Ring). RS6 is indeed great car but, that fast on the track it is not.

Not sure if that was directed at me but all I said was you will be very impressed by the time the RS6 will post around the ring and I have already explained here on this very thread that what I was told was the RS6 was capable of 8:05. The fact that Reil claimed a 8:09 in my opinion means that SportAuto should be capable of this time and reading between the lines should tell you enough that the car in Audi's hands HAS achieved even better.

Qisha explanation about tires is valid one but, it also points to RS6 weakness-its weight. M5 is using similar tires but, its weight is around 1750-1800kg(depending on options) so, in end speed M5 is faster-305km/h.

Regardless of the fact that Audi for safety reasons have chosen to cap the top speed to 280km/h the true top speed is a lot more as Qisha has already informed you of. There is nothing to stop you from fitting similar tyres to the Bentley and then the sky is truly the limit.

KresoF1
January 29th, 2008, 10:18
Leadie,
My post was not aimed to you. Some other members claimed even below 8.00min... You and I both know that this is not possible.
Even RS6 Limousine with 1890kg(Avant 1950kg-and I am talking here without that 75kg EU1 bonus) and 280km/h limiter want be faster then 8.09min on the Ring in von Saurma hands(chief editor for Sport Auto).

In all honest I expected little bit more from new RS6. Weight is clearly the biggest problem for it. And some German car magazines are not that impressed with its drive dynamics as someone already posted here...

Leadfoot
January 29th, 2008, 10:41
I think we all need to step back and wait before make opinions on the car because if it's anything like the new M3 which was also slated at the start but is now regarded as brilliant. I think the problem is that after the RS4 and especially the R8 everyone maybe expected too much and as you have already said the thing does weigh over 2000kgs. The very fact that it will out lap the much lighter yet equally powerful (PTW) M5 is credit to Audi's engineering. Trust me the RS6 is amazing only it's people expectations that need to be addressed.

All we have to wait for is some acceleration figures to see if it's as capable as has been hinted to me.

audi_ch
January 29th, 2008, 10:44
In all honest I expected little bit more from new RS6. Weight is clearly the biggest problem for it. And some German car magazines are not that impressed with its drive dynamics as someone already posted here...[/quote]

that is correct, in the new sa is a short "fahrbericht" from the rs6, and they even mentiod that the car cant hide his wight...

in an other articel nothing to do with the rs6, they said that the new m3 with the new dsk (i think is called like this) will be a few seconds faster on the ring than the manuel m3, I think he is getting pretty close to the 8 minutes, specially if Sa (Sportauto) sais that. Look like the m boys are doing a good job

Leadfoot
January 29th, 2008, 10:57
audi ch,

Not to get into a pissing war but to compare the RS6 to the M3 is silly, the two cars aren't competitors and one weighs in excess of 400kgs lighter, the RS6 only has to compete against the M5 which I have little doubt it will win most comparisons.

Compare the M3 to the RS4 and these are competitors and the gap in ability isn't that great, when the RS5 comes out next year then we will see just how good a job the M boys have done because from where I am looking the RS boys have more than proved their worth with the RS4 and R8.

audi_ch
January 29th, 2008, 11:07
audi ch,

Not to get into a pissing war but to compare the RS6 to the M3 is silly, the two cars aren't competitors and one weighs in excess of 400kgs lighter, the RS6 only has to compete against the M5 which I have little doubt it will win most comparisons.

Compare the M3 to the RS4 and these are competitors and the gap in ability isn't that great, when the RS5 comes out next year then we will see just how good a job the M boys have done because from where I am looking the RS boys have more than proved their worth with the RS4 and R8.

there for i wrote "in an other articel, nothing to do with the rs6...

and i fully agree m3 goes with rs4, rs5, c63 amg.. no point.
But was just in my head, and is a bit scarry for my if the managed to run with a 66k euros car a time under 8 min.

I am a trully audi fan, but this would by a strong argument for m gmbh.
And as far what i heard from the rs5, he will be around 450 hp, if that will be enough to get the m3 and the c63, hope so, we will see

KresoF1
January 29th, 2008, 11:41
audi ch,

You got valid point. I also heard from my Motorpresse(company that publishes German AMS and Sport Auto amoung other magazines) friend that new M3 Coupe with M-DKG(M-DCT) can indeed achive 8.00min-7.58min on the Nordschleife... Even more scary-new M3 CSL is coming-ligher(cca it will loose around 100kg's), little bit more power(440hp), M-DKG, 380mm front dics with 8piston calipers, special Nordschliefe suspension, M CUP+ tires... BMW M division claim it will be 10s(!!!) faster then old e46 CSL...

We will see. Back OT to beloved RS6.

rsPOWER
January 29th, 2008, 12:09
watching all this posts,I can see everyone is afraid how will new rs6 go with m5 :( :( :( :doh: come one people!!!!! rs6 will destroy it... im so sure about that :cheers: audi wont realese it untill they are not sure enough that it can beat m5... and i think that its shame for M part that new m3 cant beat 3 years old rs4,actually i think that rs4 is better car what some tests demonstrated... on the normal road audi rulles:king: :rs6kiss: my opinion is that bmw is great car but audi made some big steps and passed it

Leadfoot
January 29th, 2008, 12:17
If your bragging rights is purely how quick something is on the track then I will admit that M cars probably have the beating of RS cars, but in the real world RS cars rule them all.

rsPOWER
January 29th, 2008, 12:31
:thumb: :cheers:

KresoF1
January 29th, 2008, 13:08
If your bragging rights is purely how quick something is on the track then I will admit that M cars probably have the beating of RS cars, but in the real world RS cars rule them all.

So, your suggestion is that RS4(now even not in production any more) is in real life faster then new M3? ONLY on very wet road... Both you and I know this is the truth.

New RS6 Avant faster then M5? Let me remaind you that M5 was measured by different German mags in 0-200km/h 13.8s-14.3s... So, again faster?

BTW, you will not be pleased at all with test results in forthcoming RS6 Avant test in German AMS... Neither you will like drive impression about new RS6 Avant in next EVO...

Currently only two Audi's are really special-S5 and R8. Of course, IMHO.

KresoF1
January 29th, 2008, 13:17
Car Magazine UK:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Audi-RS6-Avant/

Leadfoot
January 29th, 2008, 13:21
So, your suggestion is that RS4(now even not in production any more) is in real life faster then new M3? ONLY on very wet road... Both you and I know this is the truth.

I am not so sure that the M3 will always be ahead of the RS4 on any given road, regardless if it is wet or dry. The RS4 gives this drivers more confidence then either the M3 or C63, Hammond said as much and I happen to agree with him.

New RS6 Avant faster then M5? Let me remaind you that M5 was measured by different German mags in 0-200km/h 13.8s-14.3s... So, again faster?

Time will tell if the RS6 is quicker or not, no doubt in some the M5 will be quicker and in other the RS6. The saloon RS6 will be quicker on every occasion, I am sure of it.

BTW, you will not be pleased at all with test results in forthcoming RS6 Avant test in German AMS... Neither you will like drive impression about new RS6 Avant in next EVO...

I respect EVO's remarks as they are not bias to brands in the same way as other magazines are, but even they weren't 100% behind the M3 at the first and it's abilities took time to come to the surface, the RS6 will be the same of this I have no doubt.

The S5 is a great car and I love mine to bits, but facts are it's no RS4 though it does get pretty close at times. As for the R8, well the is very few cars capable of competing with it's abilities and currently none of these are made by BMW.

audi_ch
January 29th, 2008, 13:43
as mutch i love audi,

but even the upcoming rs6 limo which nobady hasnt seen yet alife, (not this spyshots with the s6 chassi) expect quattro gmbh people, (were not here some statement that limo will come out first then avant)

i would not bet on it he is faster than m5.

I guess most of us have seen m5 vs galloardo (both standart) on m5 board, and we saw what came out, more or less no different.

the m5/m6 i have to admit are really strong cars, and the fact that rs6 limo will still be heavier, and have quattro wont help him to be the weaker m5.

this are speculations, as mutch as everybody else here how says, "i am sure rs6 will beat m5".

Just to say the m5 avant was mesured severell times with 14,4-14,6 in german magazins, and this is pretty strong to, we will see if the rs6 avant does the same... or even better..

Remember the r8 was messured by the sa with 16,5 up to 200 hundert
the little bit more havier m3 was messured by the same sa with 15,8.

Both engines same output, but m3 heavier, but no quattro and therefor in thes really objectiv supertest faster

Leadfoot
January 29th, 2008, 16:18
Remember the r8 was messured by the sa with 16,5 up to 200 hundert
the little bit more havier m3 was messured by the same sa with 15,8.

Both engines same output, but m3 heavier, but no quattro and therefor in thes really objectiv supertest faster

Check and see what SportAuto got out of the RS4. I might be wrong but I believe it was 15.6s, that's better then the R8 and better then the M3 yet it weighs more than both of them and also has Quattro.

Don't always judge one car's efforts as the norm, SportAuto even commented that the R8 was slower than expected.

Leadfoot
January 29th, 2008, 16:52

In the right hands I know the M3 is quicker in the dry but for most normal drivers out there in the world the RS4 will be the quicker because of the extra confidence that it's quattro system provides, everyone knows this, even Hamster from TopGear commented on it and he isn't the most gifted driver.

Compare the RS6Avant against the M5Touring and then lets see if the RS6 is behind, checking out it's figures the RS6 only has to better it's quoted figure by 0.6s and it will be quicker but I myself will not be happy with that and will be expecting greater things.

EVO is a magazine I respect as it seems to have no loyalties to any brand but in fairness to any remark coming from them the RS6 would have to be totally different to the RS4 to get the kind of remarks it deserves. Quattro isn't going to set your bloody a boil, it's goal in efficiency and getting from A to B with the minimum of fuss and effort. In this I reckon the RS6 will exceed all expectations.

I also read the remarks from CAR magazine and on the whole I agree with most of it but that is not to say that I will find the RS6 boring, they comment that the M5 is better in a hairpin but is this to say that it is cornering quicker or holding it's line better.....no what it's saying is that because the RS6 has drive to the front wheels it CAN push the nose more but if you keep below this point then logically it will be taking the hairpin quicker because both the M5 and RS6 will take the corner at the same speed the Audi will be able to use it's superior grip coming out of the corner to catapult it down the road that bit sooner. Not as entertaining but definitely more efficient.

As for the R8 and S5, I love my S5 and on looks it really is one of Audi's best designs but it's still no rival to a RS4 though it does get close at times and the R8 is quite possibly the best Super/Sports car currently on sale, few cars can claim to equal it's abilities and none of these happen to wear a BMW badge.

KresoF1
January 29th, 2008, 17:16
Leadie,
I agree with you most of the times. BUT, either I am not as big Audi fan as you are or Audi sometimes actually do not produce the best car in the class.

Let me elaborate here little bit more... For me there is NO doubt at all new M3 is a better car overall then RS4. My friend bought one and to our huge supriese it is as fast as R8 in straight line(even M3 feel marginally faster above 220km/h). Still, on little bit more demanding curvy road M3 do NOT have any chance against R8.
I will report about my R8 very, very soon...

Now, we have RS6... 580hp... Over 2000kg's... Remember when I claimed that new RS6 will weight around 2000kg? Everybody here claimed that it will be max. 1900kg and we all now know the real weight...

IMHO new RS6 Avant is great car indeed and I would choose it over M5 Touring or Cayenne Turbo any time but, that much better then both of this cars it is simply not.

I truly hate when people blame car magazines for poor test results. If new RS6 Avant do not achive 0-100km/h in 4.6s and 0-200km/h in 14.9s it want be a disaster but, I personally will be dissapointed. Just remember R8 0-200km/h factory claim-14.9s but, R8 NEVER achived this number. The fastest example of R8 achived 15.2s(Auto Bild Sportscar Edition)... So, latest Audi official numbers are not conservative, they are little bit too optimistic...

audi_ch
January 29th, 2008, 17:29
Check and see what SportAuto got out of the RS4. I might be wrong but I believe it was 15.6s, that's better then the R8 and better then the M3 yet it weighs more than both of them and also has Quattro.

Don't always judge one car's efforts as the norm, SportAuto even commented that the R8 was slower than expected.

in this way you are wrong, it was only 16,9 for the rs4 limo
16,5 for the r8 (what was a bit disapointing)
and 15,8 for the m3

All 3 cars in the sa Supertest

QuattroFun
January 29th, 2008, 18:05
To me, there is no surprise in these test impressions - the pros and cons are exactly what you would expect given the set-up. Is RS6 better than M5? On a dry twisty track obviously not. But go back to Erik's post about the typical buyer according to Audi (How "RS6" are you?) - for him it will be the real winner. This is not an excuse for it not to perform dynamically or in straightline acceleration, but rather a natural outcome of the basic setting and development goals.

artur777
January 29th, 2008, 18:15
Any more press reviews, except InsideLine, CarMagazine and Dutch one?

tvrfan
January 29th, 2008, 18:35
iam a bit disappointet about the bad handling. carmagazine said, around the track the RS6 is no fun, because its just slipping over the front wheels. they said the M5 touring is the better car. it has more grip in corners (try track). ok i know its a 2 ton car but, i expected a better handlling. TQ would have been done better with the RS6. but audi knows better.

Subzero
January 29th, 2008, 18:54
Here is on is swedish

http://www.automotorsport.se/forsta-provkorningen-nya-audi-rs6/13063

Quick translation

The test person loves it.

Even thou it comes with huge expectations, it manages to beat all expectations. It is HUGELY improved compared to the S6, which according to him is no that good of a car when it comes to steering and feel.

What is the best thing about the car?
It is without a doubt the steering which has an incredible feel and response. It is wonderfully heavy and exact. Meaty kind of feel.

And the worse?
The exhaust sound inside the car. Not as brutal as expected.

Is there anything that really surprises you?
The price! It is 200 000 kr ( 20 000 euro) more expensive than the M5 touring which is a lot. But almost everything is included in the base price.

Leadfoot
January 29th, 2008, 18:58
Leadie,
I agree with you most of the times. BUT, either I am not as big Audi fan as you are or Audi sometimes actually do not produce the best car in the class.

Let me elaborate here little bit more... For me there is NO doubt at all new M3 is a better car overall then RS4. My friend bought one and to our huge supriese it is as fast as R8 in straight line(even M3 feel marginally faster above 220km/h). Still, on little bit more demanding curvy road M3 do NOT have any chance against R8.

A big fan, yeah I would say that but I am a fan of quality machinery in general and to me the new M3 fits that billing. Is it's a better car overall than the RS4, well that depends on what you class as overall, on a dry surface then I would agree that ultimately the M3 is the quicker and this has been proven on a number of occasions from numerous sources. But like all rwd cars their ability to maintain this level of excellence drops quite a way when the surface gets wet or heaven forbid icy. If you look at it on an overall performance in all conditions then clearly there is only one winner among the two, but as some people wouldn't ever meet snow and icy and only occasionally rain then for them I would agree that the M3 is the better driver's choice.

Great as the M3 is and it is great I might add, it's abilities to match the R8 does only stay on the straight. Regardless of what times the M3 and R8 achieved on the ring there is little doubt the class act is the R8.

Now, we have RS6... 580hp... Over 2000kg's... Remember when I claimed that new RS6 will weight around 2000kg? Everybody here claimed that it will be max. 1900kg and we all now know the real weight...

Check and you will see I too said 2000kgs, in fact I remember saying exactly 2025kgs but that was a lucky guess on my part. ;)

I truly hate when people blame car magazines for poor test results. If new RS6 Avant do not achive 0-100km/h in 4.6s and 0-200km/h in 14.9s it want be a disaster but, I personally will be dissapointed. Just remember R8 0-200km/h factory claim-14.9s but, R8 NEVER achived this number. The fastest example of R8 achived 15.2s(Auto Bild Sportscar Edition)... So, latest Audi official numbers are not conservative, they are little bit too optimistic...

The R8 is a puzzle to many a person, everything points to a time at least equal to what Audi are quoting but in practice no one have achieved it. When a RS4 can post a 15.6s on more than one occasion, bettering it's quoted figures then why does the R8 not, it's lighter has more power going to the area where most of the weight is, plus it's got an semi-auto with launch control, all things the RS4 doesn't and yet still the time is out of reach.

I personally believe some of this is to do with the engines not producing the true figures for one reason or another, or is it a case that the Quattro system in the RS4 is more efficient with the power available than the Lambo system in the R8.

Carl Lassiter
January 29th, 2008, 20:07

If by the "real world" you mean cramped and rainy England (I really do like the place just stating fact) then I agree. However, in Southern California where it never rains and there are miles of open desert highway an easy argument could be made that RWD M's are king.

Again, not trying to start an argument. I'm clearly a big fan of Audi, especially their recent RS models. It's just blanket statements are not especially helpful and RS, Motorsport and AMG 030 are turning out better products than ever and rocking the world of exotics.

Leadfoot
January 29th, 2008, 20:15
If by the "real world" you mean cramped and rainy England (I really do like the place just stating fact) then I agree. However, in Southern California where it never rains and there are miles of open desert highway an easy argument could be made that RWD M's are king.

Again, not trying to start an argument. I'm clearly a big fan of Audi, especially their recent RS models. It's just blanket statements are not especially helpful and RS, Motorsport and AMG 030 are turning out better products than ever and rocking the world of exotics.

A big fan, yeah I would say that but I am a fan of quality machinery in general and to me the new M3 fits that billing. Is it's a better car overall than the RS4, well that depends on what you class as overall, on a dry surface then I would agree that ultimately the M3 is the quicker and this has been proven on a number of occasions from numerous sources. But like all rwd cars their ability to maintain this level of excellence drops quite a way when the surface gets wet or heaven forbid icy. If you look at it on an overall performance in all conditions then clearly there is only one winner among the two, but as some people wouldn't ever meet snow and icy and only occasionally rain then for them I would agree that the M3 is the better driver's choice.

I think you should have read this post before writing as it explains a lot about what my opinions are as to why I reckon the RS4 better than the M3 overall. There is no rights or wrongs in this, only differences of opinion. :cheers:

Carl Lassiter
January 29th, 2008, 20:22
As for the R8 and S5, I love my S5 and on looks it really is one of Audi's best designs but it's still no rival to a RS4 though it does get close at times and the R8 is quite possibly the best Super/Sports car currently on sale, few cars can claim to equal it's abilities and none of these happen to wear a BMW badge.

I agree with this. I believe the S5 to be overrated but the RS4 an absolute gem. I have driven my good friends B7 RS4 (black with dechrome) and it is phenomenol on two occasions on English roads. If I lived there that is the car I would have but out here in certain situations (on ramp etc) it is left somewhat outpaced. As an allround package I agree it is right up there and I far prefer it to the R8 and even to the new M3.

By the way, I of course agree that exiting a corner is more efficient in an AWD vehicle.

Carl Lassiter
January 29th, 2008, 20:23
I think you should have read this post before writing as it explains a lot about what my opinions are as to why I reckon the RS4 better than the M3 overall. There is no rights or wrongs in this, only differences of opinion. :cheers:

I just did. Was just eager to post but knew I'd regret it, Leadie. :) :incar:

rsPOWER
January 30th, 2008, 15:38
rs4 is just better car.for 3 years audi can make much better and faster car than bmw did in this case .. its shame that bmw made after 3 years car that hardly beat his biggest oponent-rs4... its faster so what!!!!!! on normal roads rs4 its just more drivebile.and it can beat m3 every time which i saw with my eyes... at the end,bmw is not that much faster:rs4kiss:
audi is road king:king:

chewym
January 31st, 2008, 02:14
Leadie,

IMHO new RS6 Avant is great car indeed and I would choose it over M5 Touring or Cayenne Turbo any time but, that much better then both of this cars it is simply not.

Don't worry. American magazines will get it to 60 mph in around 4 seconds.

Georgious86
January 31st, 2008, 20:38
rs4 is just better car.for 3 years audi can make much better and faster car than bmw did in this case .. its shame that bmw made after 3 years car that hardly beat his biggest oponent-rs4... its faster so what!!!!!! on normal roads rs4 its just more drivebile.and it can beat m3 every time which i saw with my eyes... at the end,bmw is not that much faster:rs4kiss:

hi.what do you mean in on normal roads rs4 beats m3 and you've seen this but it's slower?!so is rs4 faster or not?

Rutkowsky
January 31st, 2008, 20:43

:vhmmm: ok

Leadfoot
January 31st, 2008, 20:55
Here's the first impressions from Autocar.

Test date 25 January 2008 Price when new £77,625

<DL class=fdthumb_info><DT>http://www.autocarmag.com/contentImages//Car/Audi/A6/2518855742.jpg <DD>Audi's Quattro system gives the RS6 all-weather ability like no other car in the class

</DD></DL>
What’s it like?

Sensationally quick. Nailing the throttle leaves you in little doubt that the RS6 is the new autobahn performance king. Given enough space, it shrinks distance in a way no other car with seating for five adults and 565-litres of luggage space can.
With all that under-bonnet firepower and a set of closely stacked gear ratios to deploy it, the new Audi makes long straights seem short and fast constant-radius bends suddenly much tighter than they first appeared. Immense thrust - the sort that momentarily pins you in the seat - is always just a twitch of the right foot away.
The only real concern we have relates to the RS6's rather lumpy ride. Final conclusions will have to wait until we have the chance to drive it in the UK, but in a bid to maintain body control the suspension has been given a heavy reworking, with spring rates increasing by 12 per cent over the already-harsh-riding S6.
Audi has also fitted the car with adaptive dampers offering the choice between comfort, dynamic and sports modes. The comfort and dynamic settings cover most bases well, but the overly firm sport setting is really only suitable for track work.
For all its undoubted motorway strengths, though, the RS6 cannot defy the laws of physics. This is a big and heavy car, and it takes plenty of road space for the driver to feel entirely confident about operating near its limits.
At 2.2 turns lock-to-lock, the steering is pleasingly direct but not exactly generous in feedback. Good news, though: Audi has managed to make its responses more linear and much better weighted than the old RS6's. The old car’s tendency to tramline heavily under braking has also been greatly improved upon, making this new one more controlled and fluid in its actions over challenging back roads.
As with all recent models from Audi’s quattro GmbH division, the RS6's four-wheel drive system doles out the drive in a 40:60 split front to rear. This car flatters its driver when the road turns twisty, allowing you to feed in huge amounts of power early and carry great speed into corners without fear of some nasty tail-led reprisal as you begin to wind on lock.
There’s tremendous neutrality in the way this car attacks bends, while grip is predictably massive. Once those high levels of adhesion have been breached, the onset of electronic stability control fades in progressive and well-contained understeer.
As well as this, it's sensationally rapid in a straight line, boasts tremendous directional stability at speed, superb levels of mechanical refinement, and the sort of all-weather invincibility you take for granted from a car bearing Ingolstadt’s signature rings.
The major strength of the new generation RS6 remains its colossal engine, but this time around Audi has given it a chassis that easily challenges the likes of the BMW M5 Touring and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG.
Should I buy one?

If the threat of losing your licence in speed-camera-mad Britian is no great concern, then absolutely. For anyone who regularly covers big distances, hankers after supercar levels of performance, and requires seating for five and lots of luggage space, there’s probably no better new car on offer today.

I pretty good and positive review considering the average ones from some of our other European counterparts.

ZCD2.7T
January 31st, 2008, 21:12
AWD (of which quattro is one version) lets a road driver use more of a car's potentional performance in more road situations more often than either RWD or FWD.

Some like that feeling of near-endless mechanical grip and traction, and some don't.

Neither side is going to convince the other side to change their opinion, so why don't we all just revel in the fact that we're fortunate enough to be able to make these kinds of choices in our cars, and be done with it? :0: