PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein PSS9

Boosted-Bora
January 26th, 2008, 23:06
So i finally decided to do coilovers but i every time I am to about to order I check the part number with Bilsteins site it comes up as an A6/S6 part application. :vhmmm: I wasn't sure if the fitments for the RS6 and A6/S6 was the same.
Does any one have the RS6 PSS9 part number or are they the same.

# GM5-8868-HO (Bilstein Part #)

Description from Bilsteins site

AUDI A6 QUATTRO PSS9

Manufacturer: BILSTEIN
New part#: F4-GM5-8868-H0

:harass: List Price: $ 2283.00

Thanks in advance i cant wait to get the coilovers and sway bars on.

Cheers, Drew

ppfonda
January 27th, 2008, 01:13
Probably a stupid question but will getting aftermarket coilovers eliminate any needs for a DRC repair?

Thanks

nene
January 27th, 2008, 02:47
I would wait. It seems that the Bilstein PSS9 and the Stasis Kits are having issues.

PSS9 Issues (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12492)

Stasis Issues (http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/38744.phtml)

DetailersDomain
January 27th, 2008, 03:11
why not get the KW's?

Boosted-Bora
January 27th, 2008, 03:47
Well Phil I am getting a great deal on the PSS9s and the KW's would almost be a full 1500$ more then the PSS9's so i was going to just go with the PSS9's plus i need then fast. Do you recommend i go with the KW's? whats the word on those?

But still back to the original question do the A6/S6 have the same fitments as the RS6 and does anyone have the PN for the RS6 PSS9's?

DetailersDomain
January 27th, 2008, 04:23
how about this you can take mine and I can get the kw's I was one of the guys with the failure....bilstein was quick to fix the problem I have new fronts on the car but I still would probably like to sell my pss9's and swap over to kw's.

Boosted-Bora
January 27th, 2008, 16:11
As I am not to fond of buying used suspension I am not to sure but if you could tell me a few of your problems did the shocks fail? I am interested as i will be buying the suspension possibly tomorrow

DetailersDomain
January 27th, 2008, 16:34
Drew,

The fronts of my PSS9's completely failed. The bottoms bent. Bilstein quickly sent me new fronts so far so good.

I would have preferred to pick up KW's but they didn't have them at the time.

aussie rs6
January 27th, 2008, 17:05
Info on Kwv3. I have a pdf which shows installation instructions for KWv3 for audi rs6 type 4B. Instruction number is 686 10 053 which is I also assume the KWv3 part number. I can pm pdf -1MB to any one interested

I am also sure that if you could read german, there is probably a lot of info on KW3 on the german rs6 chat page.

There is also a fair amount of information from audi rs6 posters on the UK rs6 site www.rs246.com. Log on and search KWv3 and bilstein PSS9.

It seems that drc problems same in UK and Europe, which is not a surprise!

From what I can see the general view from UK chat page is that KWv3 is a very good system with lots of adjustments possible. Once get set up to your driver style, very good.

Also on UK chat page, some good reports and a sticky on PSS9 and phaeton front brake scoops installation.

I have drc without any problems at moment- fingers crossed, but as soon as any sign of trouble, i will be going to coilover, even with extended waranty still in efffect.

cost of KWv3 in oz is A$3600 plus installation for another A$400

PSS9 is costs less at around A$2000 plus installation for A$400, but appears easier to set up but does not appear to have as many adjustment options as KWv3.

john

:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

Boosted-Bora
January 27th, 2008, 19:55
I believe i will go with the PSS9 as I am not ready to shell out 3K for a set of coilovers also i am not going to b tracking the car it is just for street use and some sprited driving :hihi:

But still does anyone know if the application is the same for A6/S6 as the RS6?

grizz
January 27th, 2008, 20:07
AUSSIE RS6 , i fitted the pss9 kit thats on the sticky on rs246.com , i've also fitted KWV3. They are both easy kits to fit .
I've had the pss9's on my car for a year now and had no problems .The kw's are a nice kit but would be better for some one who does more track work . g
:addict:

Boosted-Bora
January 27th, 2008, 23:10
are your coil all the way down? if not how much many turns do you have left to go down?

BTW car looks great

Boosted-Bora
January 28th, 2008, 05:53
so after some searching on some of bilstein european site i found that the A6/S6 quattro fitments is the same of that of the RS6

And part # is GM5-8868

thanks all for the help and cant wait to get them on the car.

grizz
January 28th, 2008, 07:53
Drew ,
They are not all the way down , i don't know how many turns i've got left . I'll look later .

aussie rs6
January 28th, 2008, 08:19
Info on Kwv3. I

There is also a fair amount of information from audi rs6 posters on the UK rs6 site www.rs246.com. Log on and search KWv3 and bilstein PSS9.

From what I can see the general view from UK chat page is that KWv3 is a very good system with lots of adjustments possible. Once get set up to your driver style, very good.

Also on UK chat page, some good reports and a sticky on PSS9 and phaeton front brake scoops installation.

I have drc without any problems at moment- fingers crossed, but as soon as any sign of trouble, i will be going to coilover, even with extended waranty still in efffect.

cost of KWv3 in oz is A$3600 plus installation for another A$400

PSS9 is costs less at around A$2000 plus installation for A$400, but appears easier to set up but does not appear to have as many adjustment options as KWv3.

john

:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

Here is the link to the excellent write up by rich_c and grizz on the PSS9 installation and Phaeton brake air scoops on the UK audi rs6 website.

http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=2&sid=c6883ff814e477b4ab663f761a44819b

Grizz is right that at least here in Oz amongst the rally car entusisasts, the KW suspension set up is the premium setup-hence the higher cost. Just an opinion

Boosted-Bora
January 28th, 2008, 17:25
Thanks mates for all the help I just ordered the PSS9's and can't wait to get them on the car would you recommend that i do new strut mounts as my car has almost 50K (miles) on the clock?

I will also be pairing these coils with a nice set of wheels

19x9.5 DPE S20's But in brushed aluminum

http://www.wheelsdirectonline.com/dpe/s20goldleafside.jpg

grizz
January 28th, 2008, 19:46
Get new top mounts for the front and rear . g

Aronis
January 28th, 2008, 20:14
Get new top mounts for the front and rear . g

More info please!! Have they developed a specific setup for the RS6?

I ask this because when I spoke to Bilstein a year ago, the kit was the same for the RS6 and regular A6 and they did not have any clue why some re-sellers were using a different part number for the RS6 vs A6.

Mike

grizz
January 28th, 2008, 21:18
All the cars that I've repaired have had to have new top mounts as the originals have split .

Boosted-Bora
January 28th, 2008, 21:54
Well guys I have some good new and some bad the good new is I did get Coilover but the bad is that the PSS9 has officially been recalled and put on a mechnical hold when i had spoke to Keith at Bilstein Inc. North Carolina office he said that they are recalled and will be on a back order for 1-2 months due to better corrosion resistance plating. so the part number for the PSS9 will no longer be

GM5-8868-H0

it will now be one off

GM5-8868-H1

and the reason for the all this is because for us who are less fortunate and live in places where we get snow and they salt the roads get rust on the coils and cant adjust the threads after a few seasons so they are making them better also they are adressing the issue with the few sets that had bent here in the states.

Cant wait to get he V3's on with the sway bars and wheels.

Cheers, Drew

nene
January 28th, 2008, 22:17
When I had coilovers in the S4, after adjusting, I added a bit of grease to the threads for protection against the elements.